• Published 31st Jul 2015
  • 178 Views, 0 Comments

Learning to Enjoy Yourself - Rowan Ink



Pineberry Brew has a hard time loosening up on her Hearth's Warming Eve vacation to Haywaii but she's determined to do so. When she meets a certain stallion, things get out of hand leading to a vacation the mare will never forget.

  • ...
 0
 178

Closing Up Shop

“Happy Hearth’s Warming Eve!” Pineberry Brew said, waving as the last family left the shop. She leaned against the bar and watched her teenage employee, Scarlet Saint, cleaning tables. The young pegasus was floating around, her ear buds tucked firmly in her ears, blasting music from the music player in her apron pocket. Trotting out from behind the bar, Pineberry went to the front window and clicked the neon open sign to read “After Dark.”

“Hey,” called Scarlet Saint, pulling an earbud from her ear, “You leaving early or what?” The yellow earth pony turned around and frowned thoughtfully, biting her lip. She glanced around her quiet little drink shop, with it’s beach scene painted walls and it’s glowing neon signs.

“Nah, I don’t think so,” said the mare, “I’ll stay all night.”

“But I thought you were leaving for your family’s house tomorrow. Won’t you want some extra sleep?”

“I’ll be fine. I’ll sleep on the flight.”

“No way! I’ll take care of the shop, you go get some rest!”

“It’s one the biggest nights of the year,” Pineberry said, “There’s always some sad sap of a pony who needs a place to stay the night before Hearth’s Warming Eve.”

“But I’ll take care of it, Boss!” The pegasus protested, hooves on her hips.

“Sorry, but I think I’ll stay. It’s nothing personal, I just need to be here.”

“You’re crazy,” said Scarlet Saint, shaking her head as she replaced her ear bud and went back to work. Pineberry shook her head and moved behind the bar. After an hour or two, the booths and bar stools were full of mares and stallions celebrating the holiday. Scarlet Saint had donned her black and white striped socks and a Hearth’s Warming Eve hat. She flew around, dropping off orders of apple cider or bowls of carrot fries to the patrons. Stopping near a booth in the corner, she rested her elbows on the table, wings holding her haunches aloft. Pineberry saw the wink she gave the young stallion and sat up taller.

“Scarlet…” she called, raising one eyebrow. The pegasus glanced over and sighed in frustration, snatching her serving tray from the table and flying begrudgingly over to the bar.

“Ugh, you’re the worst,” she whined, slamming the plastic tray down loudly. “That guy was cute!”

“And much too old for you,” said the earth pony as she loaded up the tray with drinks. “Now stop flirting and get back to work.”

“UGH!” Scarlet Saint groaned, swooping away. Pineberry shook her head and got back to cleaning the glossy counter top. A pair of young mares at the bar were giggling loudly as one seemed to be attempting to put hooves over her friend’s mouth. Before she could, the second mare burst out singing, a classic Hearth’s Warming Eve carol:

“The fire of friendship lives in our hearts

As long as it burns we cannot drift apart,”

The other patrons joined in and soon the whole bar was singing and smiling. Pineberry watched silently, head on her hooves.

“Though quarrels arise, their numbers are few

Laughter and singing will see us through,”

The singing went on for quite a while, ponies suggesting more carols whenever the last one ended. Her eyes drifted to the window where snow twirled down to the streets, coating the sidewalks in a soft, white blanket. A wistful frown fell upon the mare’s face. As much as she enjoyed moments like this in the bar - they were fantastic for business - a sick lump formed in her stomach when she remembered that she wouldn’t be in the bar for a whole week. Shaking her head, she pushed a smile back onto her lips. If anything was worse for business than being gone for a week, it was a grumpy bartender. Her eyes flashed to Scarlet Saint, watching the young pegasus singing at the top of her lungs with the patrons. Pineberry wondered if her employee could handle running the shop for a week. She had never given Scarlet that kind of responsibility before. She hadn’t gone on vacation for years, let alone traveled all the way home to Haywaii.

When the clock hit midnight, Pineberry waved her hooves and brought the carols to a stop. “Alright, everypony,” she called, “Tomorrow's Hearth’s Warming Eve. Go home, get some sleep. We’re closed for twenty-four hours, starting now.” The ponies grumbled good-naturedly and shuffled out of the bar, into the swirling snow.

“Yeah,” Scarlet’s voice reached her ears, “I’ve got nothing going on tomorrow. What about you?” Turning, she saw the red pegasus talking to a well muscled earth pony stallion donning a leather jacket.

“Nah, babe,” he said, “You got a way I can reach you? A place we can meet?”

“No,” Pineberry interrupted. “Sorry, pal, but we’re closed and Scarlet’s not your type. I’m going to have to ask you to leave.” The stallion looked at her skeptically for a few seconds, Scarlet’s eyes burning with anger.

“Fine, whatever,” he shrugged, rolling his eyes. “I’ll see you around, babe.” He trotted out of the door, glancing back with a smile. Once he had moved out of view of the shop’s windows, Scarlet let out a frustrated scream through her teeth.

“What’s your problem, Berry?” she said, her feathers ruffling angrily.

“You can’t run a business while you’re flirting with every stallion you see,” the earth pony replied, beginning to clean off the bar,

"I just want to have fun while I’m young! I don’t want to turn out boring like you!”

“I’m not boring,” Pineberry protested, “I have fun, just not while I’m at work. Now start clearing the tables.” Scarlet rolled her eyes but proceeded to put empty glasses on her serving tray.

As she flew around the room, she continued,“You wouldn’t know fun if it donkey kicked you in the nose.”

“And you couldn’t be serious if your life depended on it.” Pineberry said.

“Oh, yeah?” Scarlet set the tray on the counter, the glasses jingling, “I can be serious.”

“Prove it,” Pineberry leaned on her elbows, “Go the entire week I’m gone without flirting with a single customer.”

“Only if you loosen up and have legitimate fun on your vacation.”

“Fine, deal.”

“Deal,” the two shook hooves and returned to cleaning the tables. Once everything was where it was supposed to be, the two slipped on their coats and left, Pineberry turning to lock the door afterwards.

“I’ll see you in a week,” she said, tossing the keys to Scarlet Saint.

“Have fun!” Scarlet sing songed, tucking the keys into her pocket.

“Be responsible,” Pineberry Brew mimicked, trotting away. The snow quickly coated her fur and jacket. The street lamps of Manehattan lit up the path in front of her as she headed towards her apartment where she picked up her suitcase and dragged it silently through the snow towards the Pegasus Airlines Airport. She reached it early in the morning and after leaving her bags with the attendants, found a bench near the door. Curling her legs underneath her, she rested her head on her forelegs and yawned. In a few hours, she would be home in Haywaii. It had been ages and she couldn’t help but be a tiny bit nervous. Taking a deep breath, she closed her eyes and yawned again.

“Haywaii, here I come,” she mumbled.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment