• Published 15th Jul 2015
  • 801 Views, 16 Comments

In A Time Unfamilar - Sumiye



The Windigos had been banished, expelled to the depths of Tartarus for eternity. But the foes had left their mark on the ones who had united the tribes. And they were forced to pay a terrible price.

  • ...
2
 16
 801

Sacrifice

The breeze rustled through the grass, though the sky was clear, with only a select few scattered clouds. Only the sound of hooves hitting the ground could be heard as ponies continued pushing their way forward, halting as they positioned themselves in orderly lines before the Town Hall.

Mayor Mare's ears flicked at the chatter as she slipped her way past a red curtain, and with a clap of her brown hooves the citizens went quiet.

Seconds passed in tranquility.

"Fillies and Gentlecolts," Mayor Mare began, her voice grim. "We are gathered here today to honor the ponies who sacrificed themselves for the sake of Equestria's freedom."

She signaled to a nearby worker, and with a throw of her hooves the curtain behind her parted, revealing a ragged flag. An alicorn sat upon it, their white wings spread wide as a splash of both yellow and gold wrapped around their figure like a blanket.

"Princess Celestia rules this land with great care, taking into account everypony's needs. She created this day to commemorate the three ponies who were lost in time."

"Clover the Clever," she stepped down onto the wood that was the Town Hall. "was a Unicorn who gave nothing but her all when it came to magic and her own talents. She was a servant of Princess Platinum, and assisted the ruler in any way she could. In the moment of crisis, she used her powers to save the other pony races, and banished the deadly Windigos."

Mayor Mare's voice had was slowly increasing in volume. "Private Pansy," she gestured to the floating clouds above her. "a Pegasus who did not support the idea of war between out kinds. She only desired peace, since she believed every pony was unique, yet still equal."

She finally locked her gaze to the dirt below, scraping it with her hoof. "Smart Cookie." her tone was gentle. "An Earth Pony, same as the ponies who first arrived here and began to small town. She worked as hard as all of us, and never once thought about giving up."

Mayor Mare pursed her lips and stared forward. "They gave us what we have today. To the founders!"

A round of applause echoed across the town, ponies cheering continuously as they stomped their hooves repeatedly against the sturdy ground below.

Mayor Mare smiled at the reaction, and her head then whipped to each side as she scanned the area.

Her gaze locked onto a light pink mane. "Ah, Princess Cadence." the mare snapped to attention, humming at the sound of her name. "Would you like to come and say a few words for all us ponyfolk?"

Princess Cadence nodded and stepped forward, ponies parting to create her a pathway. The atmosphere was tense as she reached the pedestal, tapping it lightly.

A cough echoed across the area. "I cannot say I knew these ponies." Cadence said, tears glimmering in her brilliant pupils.

"But I can recognize that they shared a great love for one another. One that is maybe even more powerful then what we have today."

Her magic burst to life with a bright flash, red and pink hearts shooting off her horn and into the sky.

Cadence smiled at the awed looks of the audience. "They left those who they loved personally, risked their lives, all for the sake of this great land we know call Equestria. And I would be ashamed if I would not do the same."

She shook her head, chuckling. "A day should never go by where we do not thank them for all they had done."

Her heart swelled with pure glee at the thunderous applause, and she waved her hoof excitedly, proud of the effect she had on the crowd.

But her happiness was cut short as she then squeaked, a scroll coming into existence before her, causing her to stumble back as it came falling down below.

In a second the paper was in her magic grasp, and Princess Cadence instantly spotted the signature sun ribbon, causing her to lift it higher up as she unraveled the parchment.

Her eyes scanned the abnormally long message quickly, and even she could not hide her shock from the crowd. "E-Excuse me, everypony," her voice trembled. "I must be heading back to Canterlot now. Au-Princess Celestia has requested me to come immediately."

Mayor Mare nodded in understanding, choosing not to mention to alicorn's expression. "Of course. Thank you for giving us a part of your time."

She switched her view back to the townsponies as Princess Cadence headed off the pedestal. Her voice boomed once more, though this time it held a cheerful tone.

Princess Cadence walked sluggishly, taking in every detail of the places around her. Her wings twitched at her sides.

The ponies around her trotted by, talking excitedly to one another. However, as soon as they looked up they froze, then plastered a smile as they waved to the Princess.

The alicorn's gaze caught the golden Chariot tiredly. The pegasi that stood in front were still, unmoving. Princess Cadence swiftly maneuvered past.

She sighed, leaning against the side of the Chariot. Her mane wafted from the wind, and she eyed it carefully.

Shuffling came from in front of of her, and one of the guards turned back, stomping at the ground. "Are we heading back, Your Highness?" he inquired.

Princess Cadence blinked, then sprang into an upright position. "Yes," she responded, trying to regain her composure. "We must head to Canterlot at once."

Her wings opened at her sides, and she flapped then easily, pushing herself up from the group. Within a moment she sat in the Chariot, putting herself into a comfortable placement.

"Let us go."

Author's Note:

A late Memorial Day chapter. Thank you to everyone who has fought for us in America's many battles.

I apologize if it is poorly written. I'm still trying to get back into things.

Favorite or Comment if you enjoyed!

Always With Ya~Sumiye

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment