• Published 11th Jun 2015
  • 372 Views, 4 Comments

My Little Pony: Advent of the Goblins - johntheanimefan



War is on the horizon for Equestria, and Twilight's princess training is given the ultimate test as she faces a question with no clear answer: how do you win a war, and keep a clear conscience?

  • ...
9
 4
 372

chapter 4: casting the first stone

chapter 4: casting the fist stone

"Because of our ferocity in battle, very rarely are we ever engaged in active war by anyone who doesn't think they can take us. Which is most sane people," Xanadu began. "Thus, I am willing to bet not many of you are familiar with the nature of our war department." No one else in the room spoke up. While the reputation of the goblins preceded them, only a select few actually knew in what ways they were dangerous. "Then I will fill you in on the details." Xanadu reached into his coat and pulled out a bag of magic dust, which he threw upon the magical map in the center of the room. The map took on the form of three sets of goblin armies, each with their own banner above them.

"These are our three "war guilds", the three sections of our royal armada." Xanadu pointed to the army on the far right, whose banner was a blood red emblazoned with a battle axe that was on fire. "The first is the advance battalion, known as "the arson gang". They are purely meant for shock and awe. They come in, stir up as much chaos as they can, and leave the enemy in disarray so that things will be simpler for the other two."

Xanadu then pointed to the next army, who had a banner that displayed two knives criss crossed against a raven crest. "This is the second battalion, known as "the queen's knives". They are, as the name would suggest, the queen's personal assassins. Their job is simpler, yet more complex. They come into the country we're at war with while the arson gang distracts everyone's attention, kill any political figures who would be trouble for us, and leave as quietly as they came."

Finally, Xanadu pointed to the last army, if one could even call it that. There were only seven people under the third banner, which was a hammer gripped by a goblin's fist, set against a skull crest. "Finally, we have our last resort: the Warmongers. Do not let their small numbers fool you, these are the most powerful soldiers our army has to offer. Just one of them could conquer an entire city. The downside is that they're not easy to control once released onto the battlefield, for their bloodlust overtakes them and they have a tendency to attack both friend and foe. As such, they are strictly a last resort secret weapon. Any questions?"

The others at the table were about to raise their hands, when Xanadu's eyes widened and looked to the ceiling. "Everyone get down!" Xanadu threw his hat at Twilight. The hat was then punctured with three throwing stars intended for the head of the princess of friendship. Celestia, Luna, Cadence and the rest of the officials looked up to where xanadu was looking and saw a queen's knife running across the upper banisters to a nearby window. "Stop her!" The would be assassin was nearly to the window when Celestia zoomed up in front of her and summoned a wave of energy that blasted the goblin back into the wall on the other side.

Everyone else in the room stared in awe, as they hadn't even seen Celestia move. Xanadu pulled his jaw up from the floor and climbed up the wall tapestry to confront the assassin.

The goblin tried to get up, but found a porcelain hoof pressed down on her chest. She looked up and saw Celestia, a focused, patient fury in her eyes. "Now then," she said in her usual monotone voice, but anger laced her words nonetheless. "I want you to answer me truthfully, for your answer may decide your ultimate fate. Those throwing stars weren't meant for my precious student, were they?" Celestia's purple pupils disappeared, leaving the whites to glow in ferocity.

"If you would prefer my knives to be for you, I'd be happy to oblige!" said the goblin, who raised her arm to reveal a mounted crossbow. However, the arrow wasn't airborne for long, as Xanadu had caught it before it hit the princess's head.

"Hello Jade. I see General Iago doesn't waste time," Xanadu growled. "You do realize that there's officially no backing out of this war now, right?"

"Sorry Xanadu," replied Jade. "We lost all choice in the matter a while ago. You're the only one who cares so little as to risk the alternative."

"At least I'm doing something!" Xanadu spat back. Celestia, having calmed herself, rested a hoof on Xanadu's shoulder. The goblin looked at the immortal princess and let out a heavy sigh, stepping back.

Celestia used her magic to create a magic orb that trapped Jade. "You will be dealt with later," she said, teleporting the orb away. Celestia floated down with Xanadu in tow. Xanadu returned to Twilight's side, picking up his hat to pull out the throwing stars.

"T-thank you, Xanadu," said Twilight.

Xanadu gave a curt bow to the princess before turning back to the dignitaries. "I hope you see now the gravity of the situation. None of the guards on the roof are hurt, I can promise you. They're probably not even aware someone got past them. This is your enemy, my friends."

"What would you have us do, then?" asked She'lara. "If we are so outmatched, what hope exists?"

"Only one,"Xanadu replied. He threw more magic dust on the map, creating a different image. Now, only two goblins were shown. One was a tall, slender woman dressed to the nines in regal attire. The other was a young boy, around the age of 10, dressed in equal magnificence. "This is our Royal Family. The Queen Sayla, and her young son Prince Alistair. We goblins are many things, but chief among them is that we are naturally fiercely loyal to our queen. However, that is not the case for one goblin..." A third goblin appeared, this one dressed in military clothing, and decorated with medals and badges of all kinds. "This is High General Iago. But now I guess he prefers KING Iago. I'm not sure how, but he was able to convince a select few of the military council to help him turn on the queen. They threw her in a cell in an unknown location, and Iago currently has the prince's throat under a knife. And he has used this advantage to force the entire country on a crusade against the entire world, with Equestria as the first stop. I have no idea why, or what he thinks he stands to gain from this, but nobody wants to risk the prince's safety by rebelling. That is of course, except for me. The plan is simple, the army won't be prepared to launch the attack for another month, so I and a small group of volunteers, will sneak into the goblin kingdom and rescue the royal family. The minute the prince and queen are safe, Iago's rule falls apart at the seams."

"You speak as if it will be easy," said Whitefang.

"It won't be, but it's the best plan we have," Xanadu said. "Letting this war play out is out of the question. Even if you do somehow win, the loss of life will be catastrophic."

"Sir Xanadu is right," said Celestia, with Luna nodding in agreement. "in the meantime, I want everyone here to gather their forces at the northern shores. If they do attack, they cannot be allowed to make landfall. Does everyone understand?" The dignitaries nodded in unison. "Good, then begin the preparations at once. This meeting is adjourned." With that, the dignitaries rose from their seats and left the throne room.

Celestia turned to Xanadu. "I assume you already know who you are bringing with you?" she asked.

"I do, princess," Xanadu replied. He turned to Twilight and bowed before her. "I have no place to force you to do anything, but I would like to-"

"I'm coming with you," said Twilight. "Me and Flash will help you."

"Thank you, my lady. I promised your friends no harm would come to you, and I intend to uphold that oath."

"Don't worry, I can take care of myself." Xanadu stood while flash remained silent. Even if it was his place to question whether or not he had a say in this, he would still have elected to go.

All three turned to Celestia and Luna. "We will have your means of entering the goblin kingdom ready by tonight," said Celestia.

"We highly suggest you get all your matters in order before then," Luna added.

Cadence and Shining armor approached Twilight and hugged her tightly. "Good luck Twilight," said Cadence.

"I wish I could do this for you," Shining armor chimed in. His place was with his troops, but his heart still ached with worry.

"Don't worry, you two, I'll be fine," Twilight said before stepping away from the hug and making her way out of the throne room, her two guards close behind. "Pack your things when we get home, boys. We have a war to stop..."

Author's Note:

I am so, so, so, sorry this took so long. My computer had some problems, and long story short I had to wipe my entire hard drive ;_;

needless to say, any motivation I had was shot right in the leg. But I do plan on getting back into the swing of things.

see you all next time

Comments ( 1 )

6354597

Thank you so much for the comment and the critique. I've been waiting for someone to take the time to tell me what I may be doing wrong. I'll take what you have to say into consideration, and hopefully I'll get a few more up votes.

Hope you enjoy the story ^_^

Login or register to comment