• Published 20th May 2012
  • 3,141 Views, 30 Comments

Hello Again, My Opposite - sgtnolisten



A lonely alicorn meets with her mirror self once again.

  • ...
4
 30
 3,141

Reunion

Hello Again, My Opposite

On a lone hill, late into the night, one alicorn could be seen gazing up into the sky at her hard work.

She didn’t know why but she had gone through some extra effort to make this the most beautiful night she could. Her effort showed through, though it was likely to go unappreciated by many. Cities that would have a great night life like Manehattan would be too bright for them to truly see the sky, and places like Ponyville would be asleep due to the need to get up early the next day.

It didn’t matter though. Regardless of reason, she worked hard on this night, and now she will enjoy what she had done.
It just so happened that she had someone else to enjoy it with this night.

“You really outdid yourself, Little Lu-Lu.”

Her startled reaction did not delay her recognition of the voice’s owner. A voice she never expected to hear again after that fateful day a little over a year ago.

Jumping up to her hooves, she sighted and confirmed her target before crouching low to the ground…

And pouncing playfully on the midnight black Alicorn behind her.

“Nightmare! I’m so happy to see you!”

A fact that the alicorns kept from the ponies is that they actually have 2 minds. One, the one that is seen: the kind soul, the beautiful face, and the generous heart.

The other is the one they kept close to the chest. The one that they always confided in when the harsher decisions have to be made and the one they always go to for a different opinion from the same viewpoint. Every court ruling given, battle fought, or moral shaking decision made was from either the advice or partial control of their alter-ego.

“OMPF! Careful little-one! I only just formed this body!”

Luna frowned in annoyance as she lay on top of her counterpart.

“Oh sure. We haven’t seen each other in over a year, a year I was left thinking you had been killed, and when we finally meet back up, all you’re concerned about is damaging your body! A fine way to greet me Nightmare! Hmpf!” She pouted.

Nightmare Moon was Luna’s, and the event of those thousand years ago was what happened when full control was given in an emotionally charged situation.

…Speaking of which…

The last year did not just contain her getting used to the oddness of being alone, of thinking her other half had been destroyed. It had also been filled with a tireless, unending search.

A search for a reason.

Why?

Why did she try to bring an end to the day?

Why fight her sister, whom she loved dearly?

Why did she do it?

She kept trying to remember that day, but it seems even immortal alicorns can be forgetful in the years that go by. She could only come up with two feelings, nothing more.

This reunion may prove to be a relief though…

“…Nightmare?”

“Yes Luna?”

“…Do you remember why we did what we did?”

Nightmare was silent for many minutes as she stared at the starry night sky, contemplating the question; Luna’s eyes never leaving her darker counterpart’s face all the while.

Over the time that was spent doing so, both of their frowns deepened as each fought for memories that refused to surface.

Nightmare finally broke the silence with a sigh of frustrated resignation.

“No, I do not. All I can remember is…” She paused to gather her thoughts once more. “All I can remember is the feeling of absolute despair… and an unfathomable rage…”

Luna felt defeat eat at her when she listened to her counterpart. Nothing different. Nothing new. It was all she could remember as well, but she had hopes that her other half would have something different. Would know something different.

She sighed in defeat. She knew this question would haunt her for the rest of her days, but she also knew that all possible avenues for discovering what happened had been exhausted. When a matter becomes impossible to solve, leave it be, and focus on what’s there now.

Locking away the sadness once more and shoving it into a dark corner (surprisingly easy since there’s a large vacancy that had never been there before), she smiled a happy smile before pouncing on her sister once again before jumping out of hoof’s reach.

Startled as she was, Nightmare couldn’t do anything more than gasp in surprise before looking over at her sister with a questioning gaze.

“What brought on this playfulness?”

“Well, I always wanted to play some games with you when we were a kid, but you never had a body of your own to do so! So… YOU’RE IT!!!” She jabbed her counterpart’s side before taking off into the sky as fast a speed as she could.

“Wha-? Get back here you little foal!” Though she shouted it in an angry tone, the smile she had on her face was a mile wide as she shot off after her.

***

In her study, Celestia paused in her late night work.

She felt a presence that once was so hard to feel because it was so intertwined with her sister’s. But now that Nightmare had a body of her own, her presence seemed to brightly shine like a blaze of glory. Such a shine also came the ability to read her emotions.

First came amazement, then awe, a small bit of happiness, confusion, then frustration, acceptance, and finally happiness once more…

“…No rage… from either of them… Good, it worked.”

She hated ever having to do that to her sisters, but extreme measures had to be taken due to their combined, emotionally charged power.

If ponies had known what she had done, there was no word to describe the hatred and disgust that would come from such a stain on her image. But they never would realize how completely necessary the decision on her life’s toughest choice had been. Nor would they realize how much it had scarred Celestia herself…

Celestia’s mind flashed with foreign memories.

“Dirge… Dirge…? Nyx…?... Oh God, no…”

“Aeterna die pro omnibus!”

“You… you monsters… i will destroy you…I will destroy you…I WILL DESTROY YOU!!!”

Shaking off one of the memories she had ripped from her sister’s mind, she looked at a small painting on the wall she made sure is kept from Luna’s sight at all times. She felt her sight being shared by her blue flame wreathed counterpart Corona Blaze as they stared sadly at the happy sight shown.

“I’m so sorry sister…”

A moment of the past painted on her mind as permanently as it was on the parchment stared back at her.

A moment of her sister lovingly nuzzling a small, but kind looking dark purple stallion as she held a cloth wrapped sleeping filly in her hooves…
Fin...

Comments ( 30 )

do they fuck

thiz shal get feturd

So Luna was married and had a child, but both were killed by Celestia... There better be a story explaining all of this... Or else :pinkiecrazy:

620863 Who says it was Celestia? Let's just say that the Republic and Empire weren't founded by their supposed leaders...:trollestia:

620910 You still need to write the story explaining this.

Since Luna turned on Celestia, who else could it be (several conspiracy theories were born within three minutes of the reading the end of this story)?

620950 You're getting the timeline mixed up.

"Aeterna Die pro omnibus" happens BEFORE Luna goes

4.bp.blogspot.com/-ezalAw_FEWE/Tc8PqgOJtOI/AAAAAAAAEfY/u0LUc7xwUIs/s1600/12992175504.jpg

And thanks a lot Ghost. I was hoping to leave the readers to hash it out on their own. Now you've got me explaining everything and shit!dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/sillyfilly_Rainbow_Dash.png

620984 So if this was before Luna went pyscho... Still waiting for that story :trollestia:

Thanks, that's my job :pinkiehappy::trollestia::pinkiehappy:

621025 Sorry, not happening... at least by me. Anyone else that wants to take a whack at it? Free game!

621042 Well, you might want to take that back, or I'll tell Pinkie that you despise her parties :trollestia: And we don't want another cupcake incident now, do? :pinkiecrazy:

620097 ...Wat?

What brought this on?

Can haz moar plox?

636484 Sorry mate, but unless I get like an OVERWHELMING number of requests for a sequel, it's not happening.:fluttershysad:

636511
*spams links to this everywhere*

This is depressing.

The one fic that I thought would only be moderately successful, or largely ignored succeeds (Humans ain't so bad), and the fic that I thought would be a huge hit had the horrible fortune of getting posted at a bad time and is now going unnoticed.

The universe is an unfair place, but those words of wisdom provide no comfort when you're the one getting screwed.

Mind == Blown. Whoa...
There is a whole spin-off verse hiding in the wings here. 621042 you don't have to be the one to write it, but it will beg to be written. Eventually, someone will give in.

620863 620910 I should mention that in my headcanon, Celestia wasn't always the older sister... :pinkiecrazy:

678380 Well, then hopefully this group will help you feel better.

682648 Okay, let's begin.

1: Mind=Blown? My work here is complete.dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/Luna_lolface.png
2: Maybe one day...
3: Okay, I'm terrified yet interested (terrintresteddl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/Derpy_Hooves_lolface.png ) in finding out how that works out in your head.
4: Did you add this in there? If you did, I love you, if you didn't, I love you for pointing them out to me.dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/misc_Lyra.png

682694 Added. We're new yet, so that means jack-all so far, but this is just the kind of thing we exist for.

As for #3, really? A thousand years is a long time for someone to grow up... Who says Luna knew it had been a thousand years before someone told her? :D

682748 So you're saying that... Luna was older sister before NMM, was then placed in a stasis kind of thing, and came out a thousand years later still the same age?

chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/internet-memes-meme-madness-seems-legit.jpg

I can tell your new. But I just joined and am now going through my favorites and adding the ones I thought qualified. I think I made a mistake once or twice with the thumbs part, but I was focusing on the numbers.

So... Tia tried to make the eternal day...and only speaks latin..

okay, so that didn't work.:ajbemused:

THEN... NMM tried to cause eternal night and off celestia as revenge...

and :trollestia: didn't tell anyone to preserve her image and luna can't remember because of time,forgetfullness,spell,generic reason,etc.

am I close?:rainbowhuh:
far?:applejackunsure:
middle?:derpyderp2:
hot?:trixieshiftleft:
cold?:trixieshiftright:
churro?:pinkiesmile:
taco?:pinkiehappy:
QUESADILLA!?:pinkiecrazy:

TELL ME!!!:flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage:

933957 *Cough*

...:trixieshiftleft::trixieshiftright::trixieshiftleft::trixieshiftright:...

*Points to post number 5*

Um...

that's what i said...

you um...didn't let me finish...



dash.ponychan.net/chan/files/src/132512337910.png

Can someone please explain why this was added to the World-Building Alliance group? I don't see the non-pony in the story

~ScreenedPlum, WBA Admin

1974463 Where was this added?:rainbowhuh:

1974463 After checking the group. I can honestly say I have no idea. Maybe someone forgot the "non-pony" part? Or maybe they considered alicorns to be of a seperate species (and I may have tried building them up like that).

Either way, I understand your annoyance at the blatant disregard for your group's purpose. If theres anything I could help you with beyond removing it from the group, which you may have done already, let me know.

1974708
Aye, it's not your fault dude.

Do y'know if it was added to any other groups recently? If it was added t a bunch, it could just be a kid trying to add it to a bunch/adding it as a mistake.

Very interesting idea, and well written.

Comment posted by NeonDaze deleted Feb 3rd, 2020
Login or register to comment