• Published 13th May 2015
  • 1,437 Views, 13 Comments

Watering Apples - Wolfoftimber



Rainbow has recently learned the value of a good cry, and thinks there is another pony in need of similar release. Knowing a softer touch is needed she enlists Twilight to help. Part Mother's Day, part Tanks for the Memories inspired.

  • ...
2
 13
 1,437

Watering Apples

Watering Apples

The soft patter of rain against the window was a soothing sound as Twilight read her book. The momentary glow of her horn as she turned the page lit the room and died away just as quickly, but it lasted long enough to let her see the shadow at the window. A soft tapping followed a moment later, making her eyes narrow along with eliciting a sigh. “So much for a nice, quiet evening.” Rising from her bed she placed a hoof to her lips and unlatched the window allowing the shadow entry. “And we’re coming in using the window because?”

“Could I maybe dry off first?”

“Shake yourself dry in my bedroom or wake Spike, and I will throw you back out into the rain.” Twilight warned as she nodded toward the door. “Be careful, the crystal floors are a lot more slippery than the library floor was.” Looking over her shoulder she saw that her guest was hovering just above the ground, her wings flicking little droplets of water everywhere. “Never mind.” Going to the closest linen closet she levitated a blanket towards her friend. “So, what brings you by so late at night Rainbow Dash?”

Drying herself off first, Rainbow Dash wrapped the towel around her body for a bit of extra warmth. “It’s…a little bit complicated.” Looking around the castle hallway she shivered a little. “I don’t suppose you found a room that has a fireplace by any chance did you?”

Twilight didn’t move for a few moments, but finally her expression softened. “Ok, come on. There’s a nice fireplace in the kitchen and Applejack delivered some cider today that I can heat up.” She laughed lightly as Rainbow’s wings sprung in excitement at the word cider. “Care to start talking as we go?”

Rainbow’s expression faltered a little bit. “I’m a little worried to tell you. If…if I tell you this, you have to keep it a secret that it came from me.”

Twilight frowned as she led the way. “Dash, if this is just idle gossip from town I think I’d rather not know.”

“It’s not.” Rainbow assured quickly. “Which… is kind of the point. No one talks about it.”

Twilight shook her head at that. “I’m not following.” She paused long enough in the dinning room to levitate a few of the chairs Rarity had supplied and carried them toward the kitchen. “Your flank dry yet?”

“Really? You’re worried about my getting tail prints on your furniture too?”

“I’m worried about the lecture we’ll both receive if we ruin Rarity’s chairs.” Twilight smirked as Rainbow Dash laughed at that. “Better, it was getting to serious.” Nodding to the chair she let Rainbow get comfortable while she fed the embers of the fire. “So what is the issue?”

“Do you know what tomorrow is?” Rainbow asked as she plopped down into the offered seat. When Twilight shook her head she continued. “All the Apples you’ve met over the past few years, who have you never met?”

Pulling back as the fire began to grow Twilight looked over at her friend’s sullen expression, the pieces starting to fall into place. “Oh…”

“Yeah, most of Ponyville is in the dark about, well, everything.” Rainbow Dash watched as Twilight opened a bottle of cider and poured it into a kettle to place over the fire. “Granny Smith got most ponies to keep quiet about it, the rest…”

The Princess of Friendship turned as the Pegasus went silent. The only sound for the next few minutes was that of the wooden logs popping in the fire and the slow simmering of cider. Taking a deep breath Twilight decided to let Rainbow dictate the pace of the conversation and instead went to gather a few cups for their drinks.

Rainbow Dash pulled from her thoughts as Twilight placed the cup of warm cider in front of her. “AJ must think I’m a complete jerk after all the fuss I made about Tank. I never even stopped to consider what it might look like to her. Tartarus, I didn’t even think about it until today.” She paused just long enough to sip at the cider before she whispered the next bit. “I saw her cry once.”

Twilight’s head lifted at the statement. “But…”

“Yeah, yeah, cries on the inside.” Rainbow Dash flicked her wing dismissively. “Ever wonder why?”

“I just figured she was the strong, silent type.” Twilight admitted, a slight blush of embarrassment on her cheeks as Rainbow Dash gave her a disapproving frown.

“This isn’t one of your fantasy books egghead.” The glare she received from Twilight made Rainbow chuckle. “But, she gets really embarrassed when ponies see her being weak.” She sipped at her cider quickly to muffle. “Angry too if she knows you’re there."

“Crying doesn’t make you weak…”

“I know that!” Rainbow yelled. “I was bawling over Tank, remember?” She held back her snicker as she saw Twilight had just barely caught her cider with her magic before it hit her face. “Oops, my bad. But still, that’s how AJ seems to see it.”

Twilight sipped her cider now that she had it back in her cup. “I guess I can understand that, but, I’m not quite sure why you’re telling me this right now.”

“The Apples have a small memorial every year, privately. Nopony but family allowed.” Rainbow Dash put her cup down and wound her hooves nervously. “I might have hidden out in a cloud near by for a few of them.”

“Rainbow!”

“It’s not like that!” Rainbow waved her forelegs. “I thought she might like someone to talk to after the ceremony! It’s not easy being alone…” When she saw Twilight had settled down into her seat again she continued. “AJ always would sit there, at the graves, for a long time afterwards. One year, she started crying a whole lot. I…thought I was helping when I flew down to her.”

“You think you’re the reason she won’t cry any more?” Twilight’s voice was soft as she spoke.

“Yeah, I think so. I think I really embarrassed her. That’s why…” Rainbow Dash fidgeted nervously. “I know how much better I felt after Fluttershy got me to let it all out, and since you also didn’t cry during that whole thing...”

“Ah.” Twilight’s expression turned serious as she began to understand what Rainbow Dash was getting at. “And since I’m the other non-teary pony in the group you think I will be able to get her to open up.”

“That was pretty much the extent of the plan, yeah.” Rainbow nodded enthusiastically.

“Well, this is going to go swimmingly.” Twilight massaged her temple. “Maybe Applejack just is a very private pony. Did you consider that?”

“Twilight, please.” Rainbow jumped down from her seat and crossed the short distance to her friend. “I know AJ needs this, and if anypony is going to be able to get her to open up…its you.”

Twilight sighed. “Where’s the ceremony?”

00000

“You sure you want to stay here all alone?” Apple Bloom looked up at her big sister, not sure what to make of the sad smile.

“I’ll be fine little sis.” Applejack nudged Apple Bloom toward Big Macintosh. “Go on now.” She looked over to her brother. “I’ll catch up with you later.” She waited until she couldn’t see either of them anymore before she sat down in front of the head stones. “Hi Mama, hi Papa.” She whispered quietly. “Sorry, I haven’t been by to talk much. I’m sure you remember how busy it can get running the farm and all.”

Sitting down upon the grass she looked first to the slightly smaller of the two stones. “Been trying my best to fill your hoof prints Mama.” Removing her Stetson she placed it atop the grave marker. “I wonder if you’d still recognize it. Rarity keeps trying to get me to just replace it, but she still repairs it all the same once I pester her enough.” Chuckling she let the hat remain where it was. “Had to get it sized a little bit last time even, its almost back to where it was, almost back to your size.” Turning her gaze to the other stone she poked a hoof at it jestingly. “That’s your fault there Papa, Manehatten city-slicker extraordinaire. At least I think it is, you…you seemed so much bigger then. I…” Her head hung forward as she trailed off. “It’s…its getting harder to tell, which memories are true. Remembering what events honestly happened and which ones are just wishful dreaming.”

She sat in the quiet for a time, at the very outermost edge of her family’s property and the start of the Everfree Forest. “I think I might have to cut this short this year. Seems like duty calls.” Picking up her hat she pulled it down so that it hid her face before starting the long walk back to the farmhouse. A quarter acre or so in she came to a simple fence that marked the start of the orchard where she lifted her hat again in greeting the purple mare that sat there waiting patiently. “Howdy Twilight, we have something we need to do?”

Twilight shook her head softly. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to disturb you. I thought I was far enough back that you wouldn’t be bothered by me.”

Applejack cocked her head to the side for a moment in confusion before her expression turned to one of mild irritation. “Rainbow Dash?” She sighed as Twilight nodded. “The Tank fiasco?” Another nod. “Wants you to try and get me to cry?”

“I feel like I should say something like Ee-yup, but I would get the intonation completely wrong.” Twilight grinned as she got Applejack to smile.

“Ah, shoot.” Applejack sighed. “I want to be mad, but I know she means well.” She looked over her shoulder in the direction of the graves. “Sorry she dragged you into this Twilight. Guess I need to make things right with her.”

“Make things right?”

“I…said a lot of stuff I wish now that could take back.” Applejack hung her head. “I’m guessing that’s why she sent you instead of coming herself. Mare’ll put her head into the jaws of a manticore, but I think I may have actually scared her with all the yelling I did that day.”

“I wasn’t aware of any of that.” Twilight replied softly, watching the sadness that was just below the surface of Applejack’s expression. “Um, Applejack, if it’s not to forward of me, you think maybe you could introduce us?” She backpedaled a little as the farm pony picked her head up quickly. “I mean, its just that, I’ve met just about all the other members of your family and…” Her explanation tapered off as Applejack started to laugh lightly.

“I don’t know what you’re up to Miss Sparkle, but sure.” Applejack turned and motioned for Twilight to follow her. They walked quietly the entire length of the way until they were standing before the graves once again. “Mama, Papa, I’d like you to meet one of my very best friends, Twilight Sparkle.” She glanced over at her father’s headstone. “She’s even fancier than you Papa, from Canterlot and a Princess now to boot!”

“Applejack…” Twilight sighed as she found herself blushing at the words.

The earth pony let out a hearty laugh. “You have to understand Twilight, Papa was always trying to hide his big city origins after he came out here. It was a long running joke that Mama and Granny Smith would tease him with even after he started getting used to the farm work.”

Raising her hoof to try and hide her laughter she bowed her head to the two grave markers. “Well, it's nice to meet you finally. I’m sure both already know how amazing Applejack is, I count myself very lucky to be such close friends with her.” She paused for a moment. “I know you’d be very proud of her for all she does for your family, and Ponyville, and all of Equestria really since she’s helped save it…” The mare glanced to her friend. “What are we up to, four times now?”

“I thought we were closer to five or six by now.” Applejack chuckled. “Seems like every other month or so we’re smacking around some no good varmint.” Looking between the graves and her friend she removed her hat. “Thank you Twilight. I know they’d be right happy to hear what you said.”

Sitting down a bit before the graves Twilight looked over the faded stones, unable to tell much about the cutie marks or names since they were so faded. “So, which big city was your dad trying to hide from?”

“Didn’t I ever tell you?” Applejack sat down just across from her friend. “Papa was from Manehatten, the Orange Family.”

“Wait, the glamor section of the newspaper Oranges?” Twilight’s eyes went wide. “I remember you said you had cousins in the city but I guess I missed that part.”

“Yeah, the way Papa always told it he never really fit in there like Uncle Orange did.” Applejack chuckled. “Papa would be out running in the rain, or trying to set up a little garden on the roof of those super tall buildings and such. Mama said the wild part of the earth pony in him was a lot stronger than it was in the rest of his family.”

“Wild part?” Twilight shot a playful look at Applejack. “Guess you take after him then?”

“Tartarus no.” Applejack laughed. “Granny said that the first time Papa tried to do something as simple as lift a hay bale he almost broke himself in two. He may have been a bit wild for a city pony, but he was nothing compared to born-and-bred Apples.” The orange mare scratched at her chin. “Come to think of it, I wonder if that’s why my brother talks the way he does. Papa was a lot more built up by the time us little ones were around from what I remember, but he was always out of breath whenever he worked the farm. Always giving one word answers while trying to get his wind back.”

A thought came to Twilight’s mind and nearly made it to her tongue, but she held herself in check at the last moment. “So, your mom was the one who grew up on the farm then?”

“Yup, farm pony through and through.” Applejack looked to the worn grave stone and smiled. “I wish you could have seen her work Twilight. She made apple-bucking look like it was poetry in motion. I’m an lowly amateur compared to her.” Her eyes shifted sidelong as she heard a stifled giggle. “What?”

“Poetry in motion?” Twilight finally let the giggle free. “I expected, well, a country-ism but…”

Applejack pulled herself to a straight-backed seated position, lifted her nose into the air, and place a hoof to her chest. “I can speak in fancy too Miss Twilight.” Relaxing her pose she chuckled as well. “I just don’t do it very often.”

“Did your mom do the rodeo stuff like you do too?” Twilight continued.

“I think so.” Removing her hat she turned it over for Twilight to see the inside of the brim. “It’s kind of faded, but I think this was a prize from one of them. Don’t really remember her doing them as much when I was a foal. Guess she got to busy raising Mac and me.”

“Mac and I.”

Applejack stuck out her tongue. “I think this here is the part where Dash would call you an egghead.”

“Probably.” Twilight admitted. “So, um, I can’t help but notice, you left somepony out there.” She flinched as a heavy sigh slowly left the earth pony. “Never mind, I didn’t mean to pry. You don’t have to…”

“No.” Applejack turned her head up to the sky. “I…I think maybe, maybe I should talk about it. But, Twilight, if I tell you this you have to keep it a secret. Can you do that?”

Twilight rose and moved a bit closer to her friend, placing a hoof on Applejack’s shoulder. “I swear on the Element of Honesty, you have my word that I will not tell anypony about anything we discuss out here.”

Applejack looked between the hoof on her shoulder and then to Twilight’s face. “Heh, I know you’re being sincere and all Twi, but that is the corniest dang thing I ever heard.”

This time Twilight stuck out her tongue. “Would you rather I make a Pinkie Promise?”

“Oh sweet Celestia no!” Applejack shivered. “As if the words weren’t enough to drive me batty, the sting of the sugar in my eye from the last time she made me do that…” Her whole body trembled in a full on shiver. The two shared a laugh at the silliness of the pink party mare before Applejack turned serious again. Several minutes of silence passed before she continued. “We never told this to Apple Bloom so, that’s why I’m so secretive about it. Far as she knows Mama passed a little after her first birthday, but that’s not what really happened. I never asked Granny for the details but, Mama had some troubles with the pregnancy. Little Bloomie, that’s what we nicknamed her before she was born, was flipped around or some such from what I remember overhearing.”

Twilight looked over down at the soft grass growing over the graves, her mind filling in the blanks as Applejack went silent. She’d stumbled across a few medical books during her times looking for new books in the library. From what she remembered reading it was a very serious medical condition with many tragic outcomes most of the time. “I’m so sorry Applejack.”

“Not your fault sugarcube.” Applejack shook her head. “It hurt when she was gone but, I didn’t feel as sad as I think I should have. Papa was real smart in how he handled it. Told Mac and I that Mama loved and trusted us so much, we were going to help raise Apple Bloom instead of her. That Apple Bloom was the last apple that Mama was going to pick, so we had to treat her extra special.”

Twilight turned as she heard something change in Applejack’s voice. The mare was trembling, ever so slightly, but it was there nonetheless. The Stetson hat had been pulled lower while she looked away, obscuring her friend’s face.

“He worked so hard, trying to take up Mama’s share of the work. We tried to help him, Mac and I, but there were so many trees, so many apples. Papa would be up before either of us, out in the orchard bucking apples, and he wouldn’t stop until after we’d go to bed most nights. I heard Granny yelling at him a few times. I thought she was trying to put him down at the time, saying things like he didn’t have the heart of a farm pony.” Applejack’s trembling got worse as hints of anger began to trace into her voice. “He…he wanted to make sure all three of us were going to be happy, but…but…”

Twilight’s lips pressed together in a flat line as she saw the first spots of moisture hit the ground. There was a brief moment of indecision as she considered how to best comfort her friend. Lifting her hoof slowly she moved her foreleg to wrap around her friend’s shoulders to give the gentle hug she thought was needed. The rough shove and tumble to the ground came wholly unexpected. “Applejack!”

“No! I…I can’t cry over this!” Applejack stared at Twilight with a mixture of anger, confusion, and fear on her face. Her green eyes were already wet with tears despite her words. “If I cry over this, she’ll know!”

“Who?” Twilight asked as she got herself to her hooves again. “Who would be so upset to see you cry over your parents’ passing?”

“Apple Bloom!” Applejack’s tears started to flow faster. “Papa worked this farm until his city pony body couldn’t take it no more. He…he just didn’t get out of bed one morning. He tried to do his work and Mama’s because Mama wasn’t there! And she wasn’t there because…because…”

Shock washed across Twilight’s face as she understood what Applejack was trying to say. “You can’t blame…”

“I know that!” Applejack yelled angrily. “I know that I can’t blame my little sister. I was stupid, and foolish, and a horrible pony for ever thinking it! But I did a few times! And when I did I would start to cry! Even if it was something as simple as seeing Apple Bloom carrying a bushel of apples! I didn’t want to! It would just start! Then Apple Bloom would get all scared and everything would just get worse!”

“So…you decided to only cry on the inside.” Twilight whispered as she walked toward her friend. Before Applejack could react she lunged forward and caught the farm pony in a hug that even Pinkie Pie would have been hard pressed to top. “Apple Bloom isn’t out here right now, and I’ve already promised I would never speak about any of this.” Her words were soft and gentle, much like the times she had to comfort Spike after a nightmare when they lived in Canterlot. She knew if Applejack wanted to get away, she would be able to easily. Instead she felt the strong hooves wrap around her and hold on as if she were the only lifeline left.

Time lost meaning as Applejack finally let go of long overdue emotions. Accusations, however unfounded, made there way to the surface and were expunged. Angry utterances and a few curses made their way past her lips towards herself and others as she tried to empty out all the bottles that had filled in her heart for far to long. When she finally ran out of breath to shout and yell with, she did the only thing left she could.

She cried.

The sun had long since set when Twilight finally slackened her hold, allowing Applejack to sit up. “Feel better?”

Applejack paused, simply looking at the warm smile Twilight gave her. “You’re going to make me start crying again.” She forced a laugh as she tried to wipe her eyes. “Mama used to smile just like that.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment.” Twilight reached out and forced Applejack to put her hooves on the ground. “Hold still.” She instructed as her horn began to glow.

A light heat enveloped Applejack’s face and she could feel her fur drying from the tears that had soaked her through. The earth pony watched as the glow receded back to the alicorn, drying the matted purple fur her tears had left behind as well. “Twilight…I…” Taking off her hat she met Twilight’s eyes and nodded her head in respect. “Thank you Twilight. I can’t rightly express it, but thank you.”

“Nothing to thank me for Applejack.” Twilight smiled. “That’s what friends do for each other after all.” Nodding toward the dirt path she stood and stretched. “Come on, I’m sure your family is waiting.”

“Right.” Stretching her legs as well Applejack walked beside her friend back towards the farm proper. “I’m sure Granny cooked up plenty, you want to come in?”

“I don’t want to impose.” Twilight shook her head. “You should be with your loved ones right now. Besides, I’m sure Spike is wondering where I am for dinner.” Turning she started for the exit of Sweet Apple Acres. “I’ll see you later.”

“Hey? Twi?”

“Yes?” Turning her head slightly to look back she saw Applejack tip her hat.

“Thanks again.”

“Applejack! Come on!” Apple Bloom called from the open window of the Apple Family home. “Big Mac’s going to eat all the fritters if you don’t hurry up!”

Giving one last wave to her departing friend, Applejack turned and trotted for the house. “Ok, ok. I’m here, quit that hollering now.” Making her way to the kitchen she found her spot at the table with a plate already prepared.

“I made sure to save your favorites for you.” Apple Bloom shot a look at her brother. “He was going to eat it all otherwise.”

“Nope.”

Chuckling, Applejack grabbed her sister into a bear hug.

“Aw, come on Applejack.” Apple Bloom wiggled about to get out of the hug. “It’s not that big a deal.”

“Tonight it is little sis.” Letting her sister go, Applejack tucked into her food with a smile. “Tonight it really is.”

Comments ( 13 )

Wow... You sir have tru skillz!

Awww!! Adorable!

MOTHER FUCKKKKKERRRRR!!!!!! *throws a toaster at the fucking wall* WHAT THE HELL IS THIS PEICE OF MOTHER FUCKING SHITTTT!?!? *punches the wall so fucking hard* MOTHER FUCKKKKKERRRR I SEE THIS FUCKING SHIT WHO GIVEA A MOTHER FUCKING APPLE SHIT TOO MANY TIMES ON THE STORIES BULL SHIT LIST WHO CARE IF SHE CRY ON THE INSIDE OR NOT NOBODY GIVES A *kicks the oven and throws it to the ground* FUCKKKKKKK FUCKKKKK THIS STORY THINK OF SOMETHING FUCKING DIFFERENT MOTHER FUCKING SEASON 5 BULLL MOTHER FUCKING SHITTT:twilightangry2:

Edit: Now to be on a serious note, XD this story is not fun stop making stories about Applejack crying on the inside. I am tired of seeing this shit everywhere.

5971450
I thank you for the compliment. Glad you enjoyed the story.
5975765
Happy to hear you liked it.

5977637
Well, aren't you a pleasant individual.:facehoof: Considering it's right in the description where the inspiration came from, I have to wonder why you clicked on the link if you didn't want to read that type of story. Thank you for your thoughts and have a nice day.

5977941 fuck that bitch i just came to comment

Have you ever considered submitting this story to Equestria Daily? You can find out how to do so here.

5975765 Where did you get the icon for your avatar?

5985624
I hadn't given EQD much consideration for my stuff truthfully. With the reputation they have for such great submissions, it seemed a bit daunting to try and submit anything of mine there. :applejackconfused:You're suggestion does give me a little boost of confidence though, so I'll give it a bit more thought.

Anyway, thanks for reading. Hope you liked the story.

5985625 What do you mean? The base? I drew my avatar.

I understand that this story has been done to death. But unlike some people :ajbemused: I understand that and chose to read the story anyway.

Im glad I did because this one was very well written. The pacing was good. The characters were spot on. And the emotional nature of the situation was handled perfectly.

Overall a great example of how this story should be done.

Nice job :ajsmug:

I don't cry with fics, movies, books. This time was no different. But, it was beautifully written and I loved it, so LIKE!

This was both depressing and touching at the same time.

What specifically irritated you about "Tanks for the Memories"? Due to conversations I've had with others who don't like it as much as I do, I have an idea of what it could be, but I'm not going to assume anything.

However, I will say right now: Tanks for the Memories is my favorite episode of the season so far, and is my second favorite episode of the series as a whole.

People get upset over different things. Applejacks parents being dead doesn't invalidate RDs feelings.

But anyway, I think we all know that by now.

This was a lovely story. I enjoyed the fact that RD got Twilight to help AJ instead of herself.

Login or register to comment