• Published 8th May 2015
  • 407 Views, 4 Comments

Braeburn and the Golden Seeds of Maretania - GoGreenGirl



Braeburn describes to the Cutie Mark Crusaders and his cousin the very adventurous story about how he injured his leg.

  • ...
 4
 407

Chapter 3

The Cutie Mark Crusaders looked on with wide eyes as Braeburn took a pause in his story.

“And?” Scootaloo asked, not daring to blink.

Braeburn ruffled his mane. “And, that’s it. I woke up in the hospital the next day with a broken leg and headache. Miss Darin’ Do was gone and the medics said they found me by the entrance, unconscious.” He looked down on the ground. “I found my way back to Appleloosa with a new vest, and a small index card sayin’ ‘thank you’ in one of the pockets.”

A moment of silence passed through the group until Applejack spoke up. “A violet? A violet broke your leg?” She arched her eyebrows in confusion. “Really, cuz?”

“Hey! That super-sized weed was a carnivorous, pony-eatin’ violet! I would’ve been gone if it hadn’t been for Miss Darin’ Do!” Braeburn defended himself.

“Seriously Braeburn! I expected more honesty from you.” Applejack stood up and walked next to the three fillies, still entranced by Braeburn’s tale. “Think about the young ones. You should feel ashamed!”

Braeburn gasped. “But it’s the honest truth! I couldn’t make somethin’ like that up!”

“I thought that it was awesome!” Scootaloo jumped up. “Was Daring Do really that cool?”

“Did you ever find out what happened to Darin’ Do?” Sweetie Belle piped up.

The whistle of a train sounded from a distance. “Okay! We need to go now.” Applejack turned her back on Braeburn and addressed the fillies to rise. “Truly a fabulous rodeo and all, but we need to get goin’.” She grabbed her trophy and stood by the edge of the podium as the train stopped at the station. “Nice seein’ you cuz and I hope we can meet again real soon.” Applejack lead Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo into the train.

“Bye!” They chorused as the train sputtered back to life leaving Braeburn alone at the station.

Braeburn solemnly waved until the train was just a speck in the horizon. He examined his once-broken leg. “I wish I knew what happened to that mare.” He walked away from the train station, managing to snag his vest on a fence post. Before it could do any real damage, he glanced coldly at the post and growled, “Oh no. Not today.” He pried his vest off and continued on his way into the heart of the town.

Comments ( 2 )

LOL! Durn fencepost. Now the torn vest makes sense...

This was pretty enjoyable! I like how you divided it into chapters to separate between third and first person writing styles, and Braeburn's story is both unbelievable and probable, thanks to what he claims happened to him and conversely how he reacted to the events. Great job!

Login or register to comment