• Published 10th Feb 2015
  • 1,954 Views, 80 Comments

Mail Order Changeling - odeeyou

  • ...
6
 80
 1,954

the experiment

“Oh this is going to be so much fun! My first Changeling test subject!” Twilight clapped her hooves together in excitement.

“…What?” Came the intelligent replay of Changeling 1408.

“Never mind that!” Twilight readied a stack full of parchment and a quill ready with ink at one of the library’s tables. “Tell me everything you can about changelings. Let’s start with the big one. You feed on love?”

“Oh no. That’s actually a blatant misconception.” He waved a holey leg to stop her from writing any further. “We feed on magic. By pony definition we are vampires and likely by any other variation of the term as well. We are energy vampires to be more specific though we do have many differing methods of extraction of energy. Given the age of the changeling race, we are likely the basis of many stories surrounding the mythology.”

Twilight stopped writing mid explanation as was now looking at the changeling with wide and worried eyes that told him she was likely now very worried about her current situation.

“Don’t worry! Don’t worry!” The changeling saw the worry and tried to alleviate her fears… by jumping to the wrong conclusions. “Despite being fully capable, Changelings haven’t used their fangs to drain ponies for hundreds of years!” He gave a fanged grin in what he thought was a reassuring smile.

He rolled his eyes in amusement. “We figured it was way too obvious to locals that vampires were about when ponies were found with holes in their necks.” He chuckled; unaware of the horrified fascination his current employer was giving him. “Evolution allowed us to feed without physically damaging the host. It allowed for longer feeding as well.”

Twilight squirmed uncomfortably in her seat. “… Are you feeding now?”

“No.” He shook his head. “As per contract, we feed only under express permission.” He shrugged. “Not that many ponies would be able to tell unless I was draining large amounts of magic from you, which would be noticeable in the form of fatigue.”

Twilight nodded in a way that said ‘that makes sense but not really.’ “Why do you drain large amounts of magic from ponies if you don’t have to?”

“It’s just the faster method of extraction. Remember that Changelings act as a hive. We require food not only for ourselves but for our young and for building the hive. In fact, only small portions of what we collect go toward sustaining ourselves.”

“Wait!” Twilight shuffled her papers on everything she knew and collected about changelings as a whole until she found a page she was looking for. “Then what was Chrysalis saying about love in the Canterlot invasion?”

“Well, magic IS heavily influenced by emotions, hence the misconception.” He shrugged. “The strongest is arguably love. Magic exists in and around ponies like an aura of energy. When you feel strong emotion, you tend to either radiate it around you or direct it to the object of your attention.”

He tried to think of a good example for which she could understand. “This is actually why you can feel a chill as another pony glares at you behind your back, or claim to physically feel the emotional love of another. Your magic subconsciously picks up on it and accepts it, or tries to shield it or direct it away.”

Twilight was writing furiously. “This… this opens up all new fields of study! Oh I can’t wait to further study all this! I could write a book! Ah!” She paused and annotated her notes. “If you feed on magic does that mean you feed on other emotions as well?”

“We are capable, yes.” He stuck his tongue out in distaste. “However, love is considered the most nutritional. In contrast magic directed by negative emotions like hate and anger could be considered toxic. They can be as dangerous to us as said emotions are to the ponies.” This time he squirmed in his seat as he IS feeling rather peckish. “May I? Just a small nibble?”

“…Okay?”

He leaned forward over the table, almost invading her personal space and breathed in like he was taking in her scent. He leaned back, apparently satisfied. “Curiosity? Horrified fascination? It’s hard to find the proper pony analogy. Compared to love, it could be considered a third class meal to a first class meal.”

“That’s rather interesting.” Twilight spent the next several minutes in silence as she recorded all of her current findings. “While we’re still on the subject of feeding, why cocoon ponies when feeding?”

This was the part the most ponies really didn’t like. “It allows for the maximum draining of energy. The cocoon forcefully drains the pony of magic and allows the Changeling to masquerade as the pony in order to drain the love of others around them.” He shifted uncomfortably. “Rarely done however, as the chance of discovery is often too high.”

Twilight nodded distractedly, writing and listening with thoughts going several different directions you could tell by the way she twitched spastically. “That brings to mind another big question! Your shape shifting ability! How does that work?”

“Truthfully, it doesn’t.”

“Huh?” Twilight blinked. “But then how…?”

“Some of the more powerful changelings like Chrysalis can full on shape shift, but it’s a huge expense of magic to maintain it. It’s a waste of gathered sustenance if you were to ask most changelings. What ponies perceive as shape shifting is often just illusion. We can refract light around us to create form. It also means we have to be careful about physical contact.”

“Physical contact?” She annotated again before starting a new page. “Visual only? You said stronger Changelings are capable of shape shifting. Shouldn’t partial shifts be possible and easier to maintain? Could you demonstrate for me?”

“Usually it’s visual only.” 1408 agreed before bursting into green flames. A moment later a copy of Twilight sat across the table from her; copied right down to her voice. “And yes, more powerful Changelings can fully shape shift. You probably know some spells yourself but for changelings they are never cost efficient.”

“Cost efficient.” Twilight underlined the words and grabbed several tomes on multiple theories of practical magic. You could read her face that it just didn’t make sense to her. “Why not? In a high magic environment like Equestria most spells are self-sustaining-“

“For ponies, yes.” Twilight Clone closed her eyes in annoyance. “Of course you are aware of how Unicorns use magic. You use the magic within you to create a spell, or more correctly ‘a command’ before willing the ambient mana to perform the task. The amount of magic born with a pony is the indicator or how much they can pull ambient mana. This is the reason the Princesses are able to exert such wide control over all of Equestria and the Sun and Moon. It's also likely the reason for why stories of powerful unicorns often perform spells that… overachieve their expectations.”

- - - - - - - - - -

Twilight Sparkle, prodigy and personal student to Princess Celestia stared the Changeling with an open mouth with quills and papers fallen to the floor. This of course went completely unnoticed by her clone. Most ponies didn’t know (or care) how or why magic worked so long as it worked. This has led to a long line of theories on Pony magic.

Theories on Pony magic, that, if the changelings are to be believed are incorrect because most if not all ponies believe the measure of their core is indicative of their strength. When instead they should have been measuring the ambient magic affected by the spell. Why ponies can perform great feats in regards to their special talent (but not outside it) has been a great mystery to ponies.

Or it was. The changelings apparently thought ponies already knew this. For once, Twilight didn’t relish writing this down because she knew just how near impossible it was going to be to tell a bunch of stubborn, traditionalist university professors that they were all completely wrong.

- - - - - - - - - -

Twilight Clone opened her eyes as Twilight Prime was fixing her stack of fallen papers. “Changelings cannot draw mana. All of our magic is purely internal. That is why we are forced to drain and eat the magic of other living creatures.”

Twilight Prime nodded (looking conflicted about writing something down) and picked up where she left off. “What about other sensory illusions?”

“Again, only the more experienced and powerful changelings can do so for any decent length of time. It’s usually unnecessary since we largely target singles to avoid likely abundance of physical contact.” He buzzed his wings as an example. They could be heard buzzing but were invisible to the eyes.

Twilight Prime stopped writing and sat the quill and parchment down in order to give the changeling a very careful look and glanced down at her list of questions. “Outside of factors like strength and magical ability, changelings are just as susceptible to magic as ponies are, correct?”

Twilight Clone pondered briefly. “For the most part, yes. Magic that is emotionally driven will likely have a stronger effect. It’s a bit of a two edged sword really.”

“Then I wasn’t to cast a spell on you. The spell will be a constant effect until it is broken, so I ask that you don’t drain me in the process. I assure you it will cause no harm. Okay?”

Twilight Clone nodded in agreement and watched as the purple spell was cast from her horn, connecting a thin purple line of magic to the two of them. “What is this spell?”

“A lie detection spell.”

The illusion around 1408 fell with a metaphorical crash. “Oh.” He shifted and wondered if perhaps the others were right and things would turn uglier than they already were. “You know that I had no intention of lying to you.”

“Intentions can change.” Twilight countered and peered carefully at him. “Now think carefully before you answer. How many ponies are killed by product of changelings masquerading as ponies?”

1408 dropped in his seat. “I’m not actually sure. Changelings are hive minded but Chrysalis would be best described as the lexicon of all changeling knowledge. I don’t think it’s something we ever kept formal records of.” The spell twinged. “I would expect the number to be small. Outside of the swarm, our goals have always been to preserve our existence in secret, and we have lived in secret amongst pony society for over 700 years.”

The spell faded and twilight took a few deep breaths. “Thank you for being honest.”

1408 snorted and grumbled to himself. “Like you gave me a choice.”

“Now come on!”

He was abruptly levitated into the air and trailed behind Twilight as she made for the basement of the library. “I want to run a full physical on you. Oh, this is going to be so much fun!”

Changeling 1408 took a curious bite of the magic levitating him and winced at the amount of eager curiosity. “Fun for whom?”