• Published 20th Jan 2015
  • 325 Views, 0 Comments

Once in a Blue Moon - Origins - Exxcar



This is the story of Blue Moon, a young unicorn who has recently moved to Ponyville to further his studies into Astromagic, the study of heavenly bodies and their effect on magic. Twilight fanfic

  • ...
8
 0
 325

Chapter 1 - A New Face in Ponyville

Chapter 1 - A New Face in Ponyville

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sun began to rise on a peaceful Ponyville. Ponies everywhere began to wake and stir as they greeted the warm summer’s day happily. This is all except one particular pony.

“Ugh!” Twilight moaned as sunlight fell directly on her face. She pulled her blankets over her head to block out the light. “Five more minutes.”

“C'mon Twilight, it’s time to get up.” Spike said, pulling on the blankets, trying to take them from her. Her horn began to glow as she used her magic to keep them there. “Hmm,” Spike scratched his chin for a second, trying to think of a way to get the alicorn out of bed. He noticed one of her front hooves lay outside the covers. He smiled slyly to himself as he got an idea. He moved so that his face was a couple inches from Twilight’s hoove. Taking a deep breath, he breathed a small green flame that tickled the underside of her hoof.

Twilight began to chuckle softly. “Stop it Spike,” she said through her build laughter. She slid back on the bed, trying to escape the tickling flame. Spike didn’t relent, following Twilight and continuing to tickle her hoof with his flame. Her laughs got louder and louder as she kept trying to escape.

“Aah!” she let out a small yelp as she fell off her bed with a small thud. She rolled back over to her stomach and looked at the young dragon, who was rolling on Twilight’s bed, laughing wholeheartedly.

“Haha I told you to get up Twilight. “ Spike said through his laughing fit.

Twilight frowned softly at the dragon, but it didn’t take long for her to start laughing happily with him. “Alright, alright, I’m up,” she said as she stood and began to stretch. “What are we going to have for breakfast?”

Finally calming down from his laughing fit, Spick jumped off of the bed and started to head for the door to their room. “I was thinking some ham and cheese omelettes with toast. Applejack just gave us some of her new apple jam for us to try!”

“Sounds great! I’ll be down after I finish getting ready, ok?” She said as she continued her morning stretches.

The young dragon smiled and nodded, “Ok Twilight. Don’t take too long, I’m hungry!” he said as he started heading down the stairs to the kitchen. Twilight could hear Spike pulling out pots and pans and begin cooking their breakfast. Twilight continued to stretch every part of her body. Legs, shoulder, neck, and then finally her wings. As she spread and stretched every part of them, she sighed happily. She still wasn't used to her new wings, but she thoroughly enojoyed the feeling she got when she spread them.

As she finished her stretching, she headed out of her bedroom and towards the bathroom, closing the door behind her. She used her magic to turn on the water to the shower as she let out a big yawn. She looked at herself in the mirror and couldn’t help but giggle softly at herself, her mane was a mess. As steam began to fill the bathroom she took in a deep breath then stepped into the shower.She sighed softly as she stepped under the warm water stream run over her body. Her muscles began to loosen and she hummed happily. The shower felt great on her sore muscles. She had had a late night flying lesson with Rainbow Dash the night before, followed by a couple of hours reading a new astrology book that Princess Celestia had sent her. With everything going on, she had ended up only getting a couple hours of sleep, and she was feeling it hard this morning.

A small tap on the bathroom door shocked her out of her deep thought. “Breakfast is ready Twilight,” came Spike’s voice. “Hurry up before it gets cold!”

“Alright Spike, I’ll be out in a minute!” Twilight quickly washed her mane and tail with shampoo and conditioner. Then she washed the rest of her body. Finished, she turned of the water and stepped out. She began to focus, her horn began glowing its normal soft lavender, and began using her magic to dry herself off. Fully dried, she they went to the sink, brushed her teeth, mane, and tail quickly. Looking herself over quickly, smiling and happy with her appearance, she left the bathroom and went downstairs to the kitchen.

As she entered the kitchen, Spike ran up and hugged her. “Good morning Twilight!” Twilight hugger him back happily. “Good morning Spike. Did you sleep well?”

Spike broke their embrace and nodded. “Yeah, I slept like a rock. Is your hoof doing ok? I didn’t hurt you with my flame did I?” He asked with a small frown on his face. Twilight chuckled softly and rubbed his head, “Yes Spike I’m ok. It takes a little more than that to hurt me.” Spike smiled up at Twilight happily and moved back to the stove and began putting their breakfast on plates. “What time did you end up getting to bed last night?” he asked as he set their food down on the small wooden dining table.

“I think it was around three, maybe four A.M. again,” Twilight said as she sat down at the table with a small yawn. “I had another late night of flight practice and studying Atromagic: Heavenly Bodies and Their Effect on Magic. Celestia suggested that since I’ve pretty much completed my research on the magic of friendship that I should move on to other fields of study. She suggested astrology, since I am the Element of Magic, and astrology has a very strong connection to magic.” She started eating happily as Spike sat down across from her and began eating as well.

“Dang. So what’s on the schedule for today?” Spike asked as he devoured his breakfast.

“Let me check.” Twilight’s horn began to glow as her magic carried over her planner. She flipped it open to today’s date and began looking over her appointments. Her eyes suddenly went wide and she dropped the piece of toast she was working on. She quickly looked up at the clock. It was 9:45.

“Oh no!!” she screamed as she jumped from the table and bolted for the door. She user her magic to grab her bag as she ran out of the door, slamming it behind her unintentionally.

“What’s wrong?!” Spike called out after her, but it was no use. She was already long gone. He walked back to the table and looked at Twilight’s panner, wondering what in the world had gotten her so worked up. He looked at today’s date and noticed only one appointment, written in large letters:
10:00 A.M. - Meet Celestia at the trainstation
“Uh oh…”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight had completely forgotten about Princess Celestia’s visit to Ponyville. This wasn’t the first time her over zealous commitment to her studies had caused her to forget an appointment, but she still kicked herself mentally at letting herself forget this particular meeting. She was galloping at full force, dodging ponies as she ran through town. She apologized to many ponies that she nearly ran over in her rush. She would have to run nonstop at top speed to make it to the train station in time. She really wish that she could fly, which would make the trip much quicker, but she had enough trouble trying to fly normally. Trying to fly fast would be disastrous. It was at times like this that she truly envied Rainbow Dash.

She was completely out of breath and light headed when she finally made it to the station. She quickly looked up at the clock. “9:55. I just made it” she said through her heavy breaths. She took a moment to force herself to calm down, taking deep and even breaths. Calmed down, she began to look around the platform, looking for her friends, who she was supposed to meet. As she looked, she noticed that many ponies that noticed her quickly bowed to her. She still wasn’t quite used to the attention she got since her recent accession to a princess. She finally spotted her friends on the other end of the platform.

“Over ‘ere Twi!” Applejack was calling to her, waving a hoof in the air trying to get her attention. Her other friends, hearing Applejack, looked in the direction that Applejack was waving and all smiled when they saw Twilight. Twilight cantered over to her friends happily. “Hello girls.” She proceeded to give each of them a hug hello.

“It’s about time darling,” Rarity said as she hugged Twilight back, a smile on her face. “We were beginning to worry you weren’t going to make it on time.”

“I almost didn’t “ Twilight said with a small nervous chuckle as she rubbed the back of her head. “I overslept this morning and completely spaced that the Princess was coming today.”

“Wearing you out with my flying lessons huh egghead?” Rainbow asked jokingly, punching Twilight’s shoulder softly.

“You wish Dash.” Twilight responded, rubbing her shoulder and sticking her tongue out at Dash. Everypony shared a happy laugh at the display.

“So Twilight, what do you reckon brings Princess Celestia all the way out to Ponyville?” Applejack asked.

“And why in Equestria is she traveling by train, when she has those magnificent royal chariots? “Rarity interjected.

“I’m not quite sure girls. Her letter last week didn’t really say exactly why she was visiting. She did say it would have something to do with the book she sent me. As for why she is traveling by train, she said she wasn’t traveling alone this time, and her traveling companion doesn’t like flying.”

“Who do you think her companion is?” Fluttershy asked timidly from behind her mane.

“Again, I don’t know” Twilight said, scratching her chin in thought. She regularly kept in touch with Princess Celestia, and the Princess hadn’t mentioned anyone in particular, at least not someone she would travel with.

“Ohmigoshohmygoshohmygosh!!! Maybe she’s finally found her special somepony!!” Pinkie Pie gasped as she bounced around her friends.

“I doubt it Pinkie” Twilight said with a chuckle. “Princess Celestia hasn’t courted anypony since before Nightmare Moon a thousand years ago. She has been way too busy with ruling Equestria and recent events.”

“That’s too bad. She deserves someone nice” Fluttershy said softly. Everyone nodded in agreement.

“Well then, maybe he is Canterlot nobility, or some prince from some far off land!” Rarity chimed in, a distinct sparkle in her eyes.

“Well whoever he is, I already don’t like him.” Rainbow Dash said as she crossed her forelegs. “Who the hay doesn’t like flying?!”

“Ah seem te’ recall a certain somepony who said the same thing about a certain tortoise” Applejack joked. Rainbow slunk back blushing and rubbing the back of her head. “I guess that is true.” She responded with. The girls all laughed happily.

“I guess we'll just have to wait and see girls” Twilight said as the train began to come around the bend into the station.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*1 Hour Earlier*

“Ugh, I hate trains.” Blue Moon grimaced, rubbing his temples near his horn. “So loud and bumpy. Can’t even think straight through all the noise. Couldn’t we have just teleported there Princess?”

Celestia Chuckled softly at the young unicorn. “Now now Blue Moon, you’re the one that insisted on not using the royal carriages, and to teleport all the way to Ponyville from Canterlot would have taken a tremendous amount of energy. I would rather not be exhausted when we got there. Besides, it’s not often that I get to travel like on of my subjects, I’m having a splendid time.” she said with a smile, and she meant it. It had been nearly a millennia since she last got to travel like this. Usually she either traveled by royal guard or flying.

They were sitting on very plush sitting cushions towards the center of the car. The entire car interior was built out of mahogany, taking on a deep brown, shining in the morning sun from a fresh coat of polish on everything. At the back of the car there was a small bar covered in a full breakfast spread, filling the car with a tantalizing aroma. At the front of the car was a table and a bookcase filled to the brim with ancient tomes. Neither pony was taking part in the provided entertainment, choosing instead to relax in their comfortable cushions.

The two of them were completely alone in the royal train car. Most ponies didn’t even know that the Royal Sisters even had a train car, as they almost never used it. Celestia had pulled the car from storage for this special occasion, and to her it was like stepping back in time. The car had been constructed many many centuries ago, so it seemed more like a relic that belonged in the national archives rather than being used to transport the two passengers.

“Yeah, yeah I get it,” he grumbled “Still don’t see why we couldn’t teleport. You’re the Princess of the Sun for pony’s sake! I’m sure you have more than enough energy.”

“You need to slow down Blue Moon. Enjoy life and all of its pleasures, before they pass you by.” Celestia responded, a slight grimace on her face that Blue Moon missed. “We are almost there.” She nodded towards the window, where Ponyville was quickly coming into view.

“Finally. Also, remind me again why we had to leave before the sun even came up?’ He asked as he tried to stifle a yawn, failing miserably. He had been forced to get up much earlier than he would have liked. Being an astromage, he was used to working mostly at night, and sleeping most of the day away.

“It is not very often that I get the time to leave the castle for a personal reprieve. I have not seen Twilight or her friends in a very long time, and one of my two most prized students is finally moving out of the castle, and I must make sure that he has no issues. My sister was more than happy to cover for me so that I could spend more time with all of my friends.”

Blue Moon yawned again, louder this time. “I still think you’re just using me as an excuse Princess.” he said as he gave her a knowing smile.

Celestia merely smiled back at him. “I have no idea what you are talking about my friend.” Both ponies laughed happily as the train began to turn the final bend into the Ponyville train station.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight was so excited that she couldn’t sit still, pacing back and forth as she and her friends waited for the train to reach the station.

“Relax sugarcube. Celestia is almost here.” Applejack said with a small smirk on her face as she watched her friend’s nervous antics. “I know Applejack, I’m just se excited!” she said as she reared up. “I haven’t gotten to spend one-on-one time with Celestia in a very long time!” Twilight gasped as the train finally pulled into the station. When the train stopped, Twilight eagerly began looking for her mentor. She spotted her coming out of an old looking passenger car at the front of the train. Twilight ran up to the Princess and bowed graciously.

“Welcome back to Ponyville Princess.” Twilight said as she bowed down. As she came back up though, she finally noticed the stallion standing next to Celestia. Blue Moon was a well built young unicorn. He looked to be about the same age as Twilight, though he was a little taller. He had a dark blue, almost black coat that reminded Twilight of night, much like Luna’s coat. His horn, mane, and tail were all black but with a dark blue streak. His eyes are what caught Twilight’s attention the most. They were a brilliant silver that almost seemed to sparkle in the light of the sun. His cutie mark was an image of a full moon with a couple of clouds overlapping at the top and bottom, but instead of the white, silver, or grey that most moon cutie marks are, this one was a light blue, almost cyan color.

“I see you’ve noticed my travelling partner.” Celestia’s comment suprised Twilight. “Allow me to introduce Blue Moon. Blue Moon this is Ap[plejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Rarity and Princess Twilight Sparkle.” Each of the mares nodded as Celestia introduced them, except Twilight, who seemed to be frozen. “Ladies, Princess” Blue Moon bowed before Twilight as he greeted her.

“Oh you don’t have to do that!” Twilight said as she regained her composure. “I’m not big on the formalities.” She could feel that she was blushing heavily, but hoped that no one noticed. Celestia definitely took notice.

“So what bring y’all to Ponyville Princess?” Applejack asked to break the awkward silence that was slowly building.

“Well, perhaps we can discuss that over tea and cake, if that’s no trouble for Pinkie Pie and the Cakes.” the Princess responded.

“Ohmigosh, of course not!” the party pony exclaimed, hopping around happily. “We can go to Sugarcube Corner! I’m sure the Cakes will be super duper happily surprised to see you!”

“Very well, lead the way please.” The group began leaving the train station heading towards the center of Ponyville. Once they were a little ways away, Blue Moon noticed that they were one pony short. He looked back to the platform and noticed that Twilight was staring blankly at the tracks, apparently lost in thought. He slowly approached her.

“Princess?” he asked softly as he tapped her on the shoulder softly.

“Aah!!!” Twilight screamed in shock as she rocketed into the air before falling to the groud. Like Blue Moon though, she had been completely zoned out, lost in thought. “Uh, the group is heading out Princess Twilight. Are you coming with us?” Blue Moon asked tenatively. Twilight looked up at him and blurted out “Yes, of course. Sorry.” She stood up and dusted herself off with her magic.

“Sorry, I have a bad habit of getting lost in my thoughts.” Twilight said as she scratched the ground with her hoof. “Haha, it’s ok. Happens to me all the time. Thought I’ve never been able to pull it off in the middle of a crowd at a crowded train station.” Blue Moon laughed wholeheartedly as he began to walk back to the waiting group of Twilight’s friends.Twilight followed a little bit behind Blue Moon, her mind a million miles away.

“What just happened to me?” she asked herself. She had felt like this once before, when the Changling Queen had disguised herself as he foal-sitter Cadence and tried to steal Shining Armor away so she could invade Equestria. Twilight began running through her checklist.
Shortness of breath? Check. Unable to think straight. Check. Feeling that something is out of place. Check. Heart palpitations. Check.

As far as Twilight could tell, she had felt completely out of it when she looked at Blue Moon. This definately felt the same as the incident with the Changling Queen. She knew for certain that something was off about Blue Moon, and she was determined to find out what.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment