• Published 15th Jan 2015
  • 15,154 Views, 1,431 Comments

Unity - Kieva Lynn



Ponyville, Equestria. Fallow Meadows, Indiana. Two towns torn from thier worlds and deposited together on a third. Can Human and Pony work together? They'd better hope so, because they're not alone...

  • ...
39
 1,431
 15,154

Chapter Twenty-Two

Unity
Chapter Twenty-Two

Twilight Research Time: Day Nine:

Seated next to Spike in a back booth of Sugarcube Corner, Rarity looked across the table at Fluttershy and sighed. "How's the little dear holding up?" she asked.

"Well enough." the pegasus replied. "At first, she was just happy to be back here. Happy to be away from how bad things have gotten in Blueblood's camp. And she still is really, but... ...After three days, it's starting to dawn on her to wonder just why her father still hasn't come looking for her."

"Terrible." Rarity agreed.

Spike nodded. "At least she's making more friends than she did before."

"Oh yes, we were all shocked when Silver Spoon refused to join Diamond Tiara in bullying the Crusaders anymore."

"What exactly did happen there?" Rarity asked.

"Well, it all started when we realized she had said 'No' to Diamond..."

xx

"What!?" Diamond Tiara shouted. "Since when do you say no to this!?"

"Since I've seen what the rougher side of life is like!" Silver shouted back. "Tiara, I'm sorry. You're my friend and I don't want to upset you... But I just can't do that stuff anymore!"

"Hmmph!" Tiara turned her snout up and trotted away.

Fearing she had lost her only friend, Silver fell to the ground in tears. It was only moments later that she felt the warmth of Fluttershy embracing her in a tight hug. That didn't surprise her. What did surprise the filly was the sudden presence of the former victims stepping in close as well.

"She'll get over it." Apple Bloom said.

"Yeah! She's your friend!" Sweetie Belle added.

"Much as I can't stand her, they're right." Scootaloo said. "She's always been a real friend for you."

"W... why?" Silver whispered.

"Why are we sayin' nice things after all the stuff you've helped put us through?" Apple Bloom asked. Silver nodded. "Well, I guess 'cause it's the right thing t' do. 'Gardless of how we feel about you, you've had a bad time right? I'm not gonna pile on more."

To Apple Bloom's surprise, Silver Spoon hugged her. "Thanks... And for what it's worth? I really am sorry now..."

xx

"I never would have believed it." Rarity said as Fluttershy finished her story.

"And yet it's true. They're actually spending some time together even! Diamond Tiara's still shunning them of course, but I can see the look in her eyes when she thinks nopony is looking... She wants to be a part."

"She'll have to overcome her arrogance." Spike said. "And I'm not sure that'll happen with her."

"Think positive." Rarity smiled. "And speaking of positive thinking, how is Twilight's work coming along?"

"I'm not sure on the Magicite stuff. But I've seen the maps the pegasai and gryphons are putting together and there's a pattern for sure."

"Well good. Maybe we can get some answers finally."

"Yes, I hope so." Fluttershy said. She glanced at the clock and jumped to her hooves. "Oh! I've got to go, school's out soon!"

XXXX

Florence smiled as Macintosh and Bethany entered the diner side by side and took their usual booth. The couple (there was no longer any denying that's what they were) were talking and smiling as they looked over their menus. "Afternoon you two. What can we get you?" she greeted.

"The usual for me Flo." Bethany answered.

"Ah think just a big order o' those potato fries." Macintosh said.

Writing it down, Florence said "Sounds good. So, you coming to movie night?"

"Eeyup."

"Wouldn't miss it." Bethany said. "Actually, wouldn't dare to miss it... Rainbow Dash keeps going on and on about how awesome this Daring Do movie is... I think she'd flog anyone who didn't catch it."

"Not a bad film." Macintosh said. "'Course Dash'll go nuts for anything Daring Do. I'm more interested in the human film, since it's a sequel."

"Oh yeah, you'll like it alright." Florence said. As she walked away the waitress grinned. Movie nights were always two films, one human and one pony. The Pony films were interesting, but her favorite thing was watching Pony reactions to big plot twists in human films that they, unlike the humans in the audience, didn't see coming. And tonight's would probably cause a collective gasp so big it would deplete the oxygen from the room.

She passed the order in to Herbert, then checked on the other customers at the counter. One she recognized as a visiting member of Carl Harner's enclave. The man was staring a little too hard at Mac and Beth. "Problem?" Florence asked.

"Tell me that's not what I think it is." The man growled.

"What?" Flo asked innocently. "Friends?"

"You know what I mean..."

"Maybe, maybe not. Either way, none of our business."

Eyes narrowed, still grumbling, the man rose from his seat. Florence was afraid that he would try to start something, but he simply walked past the couple and out the front door. Florence let out a sigh of relief and continued her work, but when she delivered the order she took a moment to relate her concerns.

"It was bound to happen Flo." Bethany said. "I'm more worried about the handful of locals upset over things. I mean, they're right here after all."

"Eeyup... We should still be careful though."

"Maybe neither of you should be alone for awhile." Florence said.

"We're already together most of the time. But I see what you mean."

"Yeah."

"Ah could talk t' Sheriff Tucker about gettin' a guard for you Beth." Macintosh said.

"A guard!? Like a police escort? Isn't that a bit much!?"

"I'd at least think about it dear." Florence said.

Bethany nodded. "Alright, but there's no need to worry about it for now. We're spending the day together, and tomorrow we'll both be at the big trade meeting where there'll be plenty of police anyway."

"Eeyup." Macintosh said. "'Bout time they finally got that worked out, was supposed to be days ago."

"That's what I thought." Florence said. She asked "What was the delay?"

"What wasn't? Blueblood's group wanted him introduced as a deity, Harner's group wanted the right to have people picketing ponies, the Goblins had to be talked out of serving that horrible cheese, Shetland Crossing asked us to serve more meat than we have to spare for the Gryphons and Minotaurs..." Bethany sighed. "But I think it's all worked out now."

"Ya did good work Beth." Macintosh grinned.

"Oh no! Don't you say that 'til it's over, you'll jinx the whole thing!"

XXXX

Carl Harner looked up from the fish he was cleaning to see a familiar face approaching. "Ron? What're you doing back already? I thought you were staying until the pointless 'trade summit' was over."

"Was, 'til I saw something what churned my stomach."

"Oh boy, what twisted stuff are they doing now?"

"Carl, man I couldn't believe it. Still can't, but I saw it with my own two eyes! There's a girl, a human girl, dating one of them horses!"

Carl chopped down hard with his blade, embedding it into the table. "Ron, are you sure? I mean totally sure?"

"Waitress chick tried to say they was just friends, but I saw how they was both acting. Yeah, I'm sure."

"Ugh... You know Ron, I was willing to keep trading... I mean, just maybe they really are in the same boat as us, and there's nothin' wrong with trade and such as long as things stay pure otherwise... But if they're gonna go and start doing stuff like this..."

"I know right? So what are we gonna do?"

Carl grinned an evil grin. "Get folks together. I got a plan, see, if they're all gonna be focused on their little summit we might as well take advantage of the attention...

XXXX

As Florence entered the theater that evening, she cast her gaze over the crowd, recognizing most of those present, regardless of species. Though there were still a number of chairs open in the closer rows, Flo chose a seat two thirds of the way to the back, the better to enjoy the reaction she knew was coming near the end of the night's human film.

The Equestrian film was shown first, "Daring-Do and the Thyme Machine." It was, when broken down, just a mix of an Indiana Jones-esque pegasus and a time travel story featuring a cursed bottle of thyme. Strange, but entertaining.

As the second film began, a Gryphon came and took the empty seat next to her. "Did I miss Daring Do?" He asked.

"Sorry, it just ended."

"Nuts! It's the one film in the series I've not seen. So what's this?"

Florence told him, and added "This is a sequel too, but you'll be able to catch up pretty quickly."

"Excellent. This is a human movie then?"

"That's right. We show one from each world." A though occurred to Flo and she whispered "Do Gryphons have films too? I'm sure they'd be willing to add them into the rotation."

"Ahh, if only. We do have films, yes, but none of them were in town when we were bought here. And Minotaur films, we've got a couple but you wouldn't want to show them with little ones around."

"Blood?"

"Among other fluids, yes."

Unwilling to ask the obvious question, Florence fell silent and watched the film. She grinned as the moment of truth approached, sat up straighter to see the pony audience better. "Something wrong?" her seatmate whispered.

She whispered back "Big plot twist in three... two... one..."

"No. Luke, I AM your Father!!!!!!!!!!"

Just as expected, nearly all of the non-humans in the audience gasped in surprise, save for Apple Bloom. Seated between Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, she reached to either side, pushed their hanging open mouths shut, and said "'Told y'all so..."

XXXX

Twilight Research Time: Day Ten

The trade meeting was set up in Unity's town hall. One large conference room was set aside for the actual meetings, and another for pre and post meeting mingling. In addition, the wide entry hall was lined with tables laden with food. Pinkie, knowing that anyone not busy working would probably be gathered outside waiting for news, also established some snack tables around the square.

The first to show up that morning, aside from the party-pony caterer and her helper, Trixie, was Bethany Stanz. The girl had ended up in charge of planning once it became clear Twilight couldn't be pried out of her research, and having never organized anything on this level before she was nervous to the verge of hyperventilating. "Calm down Bethy!" Pinkie said, "We're all ready here!"

"But what if I missed something?"

"What if you did? That's what the rest of us are here for!"

"Thanks Pinkie... I know you're right, but I'm still nervous."

"Of course you are. I've been planning parties for years, got nearly a thousand of them under my belt! I still get nervous too."

"Indeed. Even the Great and Powerful Trixie gets flop-sweats before a performance."

"Really?" Bethany sighed. "I don't know if that makes me feel better or worse."

"I recommend choosing better. But no time for that now, here come our first guests!" Pinkie pointed to where the Unity representatives were approaching: Macintosh, Nigel, Bert, and Filthy Rich. From the opposite direction came Shetland Crossing's delegates, Steel Forge, a pair of Gryphons, and a large Earth Pony.

"Mayor Forge." Bert greeted.

Steel Forge nodded. "Greetings. Allow me to introduce Dust Mane, Geno, and Flibbert." The pony and gryphons bowed in sequence. "I hope our day is a profitable one." the minotaur added.

"Yes! Yes! Profits good!" Everyone looked to see Brayflox arriving with three other goblins.

"All this leaves is the Harner and Blueblood delegates..." Nigel said.

Macintosh said "Ah expect Mister Harner's folks may not show." He told them about what had happened the day before at the diner with one of Carl's people.

"If they will not come, we will proceed without them." Steel Forge declared. "It will be their own loss."

"It will, sure, but my worry is what'll happen if they do show up." Bert said. "I don't imagine it'll be pretty."

"Sorry if we blew things." Bethany whispered.

"None of that." Trixie said. "You've done nothing wrong."

A sudden sound out shouting drew everyone's attention. The yelling was coming from around the east corner of the hall, and when they went to look they found several police holding a large group of protesters to the designated area. At the forefront was of course Carl, inciting his people to a near riot.

"And here with the opposing view..." Trixie grumbled.

"As long as they stay where they belong I'm ignoring them." Bethany said.

"As you should." Nigel agreed.

"Yes. Now where is our final group of delegates?" Steel Forge asked. He motioned to one of the Gryphons, who flew up and circled around before returning.

"They're almost here." Geno said. "The Prince himself has come."

Just a couple of minutes later, Blueblood and his entourage came around the nearest corner. Most were ponies supplicating to the self-proclaimed god, who was himself riding atop a platform. As Silver Spoon had said, Blueblood was wearing an utterly ridiculous costume: It was all gold and silver cloth, carefully tailored and so bright that it had a blinding glare in the morning sunlight, and so ostentatious that even Rarity would find it over-the top. But most absurd of all, in keeping with his claims to divinity, were a pair of gold glitter-paint covered cardboard 'alicorn' wings on his back.

It took half an hour for the laughter to die down...

XXXX

With it not being a school day the Crusaders were free to spend their time plotting. Unlike the norm, though, this day's plans had nothing to do with getting Cutie Marks. "And then you say 'Nightmare Night! What a fright! Give us something sweet to bite!'" Scootaloo leaned back and looked Micheal in the eyes. "Pretty cool right?"

"Cool way of saying it." Micheal answered. "But we just say 'Trick or treat.'"

It was noon and the kids were all gathered at the Spoony Bard lunch counter, eating and talking, when the subject of the approaching holiday had come up. Talk about what costumes they planned to wear had morphed into comparisons of how the two holidays were alike or different.

"Why 'trick or treat?'" Sweetie Belle asked. "I get the treat part, but...?"

Working behind the counter, Herbert said "I can answer that one for you. Time was, way way back, it was an actual threat. Folks knew that they either gave out treats, or got the business end of a prank."

"Pranks!? Like what!?" Scootaloo asked.

Noticing the too-eager look in the filly's eyes, Herbert simply replied "Just you never mind."

"Phooey!"

"Awww, no nasty pranks for Scoota-looser..." Diamond Tiara taunted from the far end of the counter.

"Tiara, stop it." Silver Spoon hissed.

"All of you stop it before it starts or you're out the door." Herbert said.

"Fine."

The bell over the front door rang, and everyone looked to see who it was. At least two fillies mouth's opened wide in surprise. "Daddy?" Silver Spoon whispered.

"Hello my child. Daddy's missed you." Platinum Spoon said. He stepped further into the diner, and everyone could see that he was wearing plain robes with images of Prince Blueblood's cutie mark on them.

"Y... your clothes!" Diamond Tiara exclaimed. "What's happened to you!?"

"All I owned is Blueblood's now. I see what I never saw before, as do we all. Now, come daughter, we will return to our Master. He has already promised to forgive your betrayal."

"She's not going anywhere!" Tiara exclaimed, planting herself between father and daughter.

"That's right. She's not." John Tucker and Midnight Steel entered from behind the cult pony. "Silver Spoon has requested sanctuary. It has been granted. She stays with us until it's sorted out."

"Nonsense!" Platinum Spoon huffed. "Master Blueblood has already spoken!"

"Good for him." Midnight said. "She stays."

"All will perish in flames for this!" Platinum angrily declared, galloping away to find Blueblood and inform him of what had happened.

"You okay?" Tucker asked Silver Spoon who was staring after her father.

"I will be." she answered. To the other children she said "I feel like laying down for awhile."

"C'mon then, we'll walk you back t' Fluttershy's."

"Is it me," Herbert asked once the children were gone, "Or are we gonna end up with 'Blueblood's Witnesses' coming to our doors with literature?"

"They seem more like Church of Elvis to me." Tucker replied.

"Pelvis? Who's Pelvis?" Midnight asked...

XXXX

After leaving Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon with Fluttershy, who had promptly shoo'ed them away insisting that the filly needed time to herself, the Crusaders wandered about town until eventually ending up near the town hall. The trade meetings were still going, and people of all different species were milling about outside. Curious, the kids carefully crept through the crowds until they caught sight of Prince Blueblood. Apple Bloom and Micheal had to stuff hooves/hands respectively into the mouths of Scootaloo, Dinky, and Sarah to keep them from laughing out loud at the cardboard wings on his back.

"Ooh man..." Scootaloo gasped as she regained control of herself, "That's the most pathetic thing I've ever seen!"

A familiar voice said "Told you so."

They turned, shocked to find Silver Spoon standing behind them.

"Wait a minute, how...?"

"Went out the window." Silver chuckled.

Confused, Micheal asked "Okay, but why?"

Silver Spoon sighed. "Diamond Tiara's my friend. You all saw how she stood up for me, I'll never forget it. But until she comes around like I have, I kinda need some space from her."

"Wait a minute... You just chose spending time with us over her?" Scootaloo's expression was incredulous.

"Well, you guys are pretty cool. I couldn't see that before, like Tiara still can't, but I do now. You know, this whole Blueblood thing, I've learned some stuff." Silver hung her head. "Like what a jerk I was before..."

"We all make mistakes." Apple Bloom said. "Gettin' past them's what matters."

"Yeah. Anyway-" Silver was interrupted by a commotion from near the town hall. The Blueblood cult had been arguing with a group of guards over the decision to grant Silver's sanctuary, when Carl Harner and company broke free from the reserved protesting area and came around the corner. They were chanting anti-pony slogans and burning effigies of Bethany and Macintosh. The two groups stopped, eyed each other warily.

"Come, come and join us in bowing to our God Blueblood!" One of the cult ponies offered. "All are welcome."

"You see!?" Carl exclaimed. "He just wants us to join him so he can have all the women for himself!"

"Egads human!" Blueblood snorted, "Why would I want to lay with a tailless biped?"

"Oh, so now we're not good enough for you!?" a woman yelled, in blatant disregard of how nonsensical said statement was coming from one who moments earlier had been enraged at the same idea.

Separatist humans and cultic ponies shouted back and forth, louder and louder, the guards unable to get the situation under control. It was only a matter of time before the first punch was thrown. The battle joined, things showed all the typical signs of devolving into a full scale riot.

Luckily, Blueblood's followers were on the whole not in as good a shape as Carl Harner's, if only due to the Prince/King/God's insistence on hoarding for himself. The cult fled towards the outer gates of the town, their opponents in pursuit. The guards followed to be sure they all left, and soon the square was quiet and empty, save for a group of youngsters who stood in stunned silence over what they had seen.

It was Scootaloo who regained her voice first. "Okay, what just happened?"

"Well," Apple Bloom replied, "Ah never thought I'd say it, but I reckon two wrongs just made a right..."