• Published 30th Jun 2021
  • 10,418 Views, 880 Comments

The Children of Planet Earth - Chicago Ted



An exploration of linguistic xenohippology.

  • ...
43
 880
 10,418

Chapter 10 - Waiting in the Sky

Dr. Weiss was on the bridge when she saw a shadow flicker out of the corner of her eye – turning her head, she saw a dark figure in the airlock on her left. The figure entered the lights, but she still couldn’t see through the gold-plated helmet. “Commander?” she asked. “There is someone entering the airlock.”

“That’s Anton.” Commander Darcy didn’t even look up from his terminal. “He went out a while back to fetch a spare part from one of the dead probes. He says he plans to send it to Rhysling’s surface, but hasn’t told me how. Not yet, anyway. Glad he’s safe.”

“That I’d like to see.” She turned back to the terminal, as a gentle hiss entered the airlock. “Did he say what it was?”

“Ah. . . .” Darcy paused to remember. “Spectroscope. The one on the surface is shot, Somerset reported. Saw the picture myself, and I’m inclined to believe him.”

She sighed. “’Türlich.” She stepped away from her terminal, pushed herself off the wall, and went out the bridge.

And then Anton finally entered the bridge, with his suit already off, and smelling strongly of sweat, despite his cooling garment having worked as intended. Commander Darcy turned around in time to see him enter. “Mon dieu, docteur!” he let out. “Rode hard and put away wet, were you?”

“Yes, Commander, I know.” Anton sighed. “Where is Weiss? I thought I saw her here.” He set the delicate instrument on the table, next to Dr. Weiss’s terminal – the magnetized surface ensured that it would not float away and become damaged.

“She left the bridge just now,” the commander replied. “I guess she sensed the coming odor.” He snapped his finger to the bridge’s exit. “You. Pisces. Wash. Dress. Now, please.”

Da, da, ja znaju. . . .” Dr. Konstantinov grabbed his jumpsuit and other normal clothing, shoved off the wall, and headed down the exit, hoping that he wouldn’t run into Dr. Weiss so soon after disembarking.

The Pisces module was connected to the Aquarius, which itself was connected to Zodiac’s central hub. Anton took a moment to find it – since the whole thing was rotating, after all – and once he did, dove down that hallway, feet first, and connected his feet with the rungs of the ladder. He simply let his jumpsuit drop down to the floor – an actual floor, backed by centrifugal gravity – and followed them down. After floating free in Altair’s bridge and outside the ship wholesale, feeling the centrifugal pull was starting to strain him. Perhaps he should have spent more time in Virgo’s gym.

Even with the gravity, no water was allowed to flow here – in case Zodiac suddenly stopped spinning. But the rinse-free soaps were still slotted in their places – so once he was sure that nobody could disturb him in his sanctum sanctorum, Anton started stripping off his sweat-drenched suit garments to bathe.

··–··

Every so often, though she never bothered to time it, Elena watched Rhysling swing past the window’s view. Each time was different, unique in its appearance, despite the colony ship being on a regular orbit around the planet. She noted the vast seas, the lush green lands, the white clouds whipping up into storms, and the aurorae as the ship swung past the poles. She noted the dry desert bands, tan and broad, and wondered if anything lived there – and wondered if the colony could survive there. She noted the tall snowy mountains – and missed her home.

She sighed – if only she could see the Swiss Alps one last time. She had the photographs, meant to keep up crew morale, but they didn’t hold a candle to actually being there. Every summer, when the countryside wasn’t completely frozen over, her family would spend a fortnight camping out near Chäserrugg, mostly to get away from the usual hustle and bustle of the Zürich metropolis. She remembered waking up every morning to the cool, crisp, fresh air – moreso since she wasn’t in the same tent as her brother anymore. But now, having to share the same space, the same air, with two unrelated men – one of whom was her superior – it made her yearn for those simple moments in her youth, with her parents, with Hans, and with noöne else around.

She smiled in her nostalgic reverie – before her thoughts were interrupted with feet landing on the ground. She turned around to see Dr. Konstantinov, freshly clean and jumpsuit decently laundered, and heading to the pantry to get something. But before he slipped inside, he turned to ask her “Did you want something as well?”

Elena was about to refuse – but then her stomach answered that question for her. “. . . yes,” she admitted reluctantly.

Dr. Konstantinov smiled slightly, and grabbed some packets – boršč for himself, and some French onion soup for her. Both of these needed rehydration, and the French onion soup was very limited in quantity and only packed per French insistence – but he could recognize homesickness, and knew how it would impact crew performance. He read somewhere that it was also commonly served in Switzerland – so it all worked out nicely.

The rack of hydration guns were on the wall opposite. He grabbed the hot one and injected 150 milliliters of water in the boršč, and 130 in the French onion – both of these would take five to ten minutes to rehydrate fully. In the meantime, he replaced the hoses and took them over to the table, sitting down across from Elena. “Are you well?” he asked, offering the French onion packet.

“It could be better.” She sighed, but accepted his offer anyway. “Besides the lack of results from the probe. . . .” She left the other clause unspoken.

“I have the spectroscope,” he said. “Somerset will install it on Rhysling. Did the atmospheric results come in?”

She nodded. “They did – virtually identical to Earth’s, but with a lower atmospheric pressure and a slightly higher xenon content.” She cleared her throat. “Which is why I wish to see readings on background radiation. I wonder if the Indigenous have access to nuclear power.”

“If that is so, then what would their method be?” Dr. Konstantinov shifted uncomfortably. “It is something to consider, yes – but I am certain that they have simpler methods.” He put his chin into his palm. “Perhaps something that does not require a circuit?”

“And yet, Dr. Somerset tells me that the Indigenous were able to reättach the battery to the probe. Even with some help from the Indigenous – so theirs must work the same way.” She sighed. “I know what you might be thinking about. But we all understood the dangers of this mission when we applied. Even Somerset, lucky enough to first set foot on Rhysling – ”

“I did not.”

She paused. “Come again?”

“I did not sign up for Zodiac-Altair.” This time Dr. Konstantinov sighed. “All I did, all that I will say I did willingly, was to develop the cryonic storage for colonists – the same that you slept in while traveling the system. But the Kremlin insisted that I come along with them. At first I resisted – for I did not wish to leave the Motherland – I wanted a wife, a family – but they said that nobody else can maintain them, that nobody else can know fully how one technology central to the ship works. I offered to instruct them on every detail of its workings, ensuring that anyone can carry out this work without me, but they refused – and so here I am.”

He chuckled. “We are both homesick in a way, it would seem. I dream even now of living in the Soviet Union – or the Federation. Whichever. And you must want to see the mountains again, to. . . ski from the top, to talk with family. Am I not correct?”

“Mostly you are right. Though we never did go skiing – those places are full of tourists, and we never did like them.” She turned to face the window again. “We did leave Züri every summer, but only to get away from the chaos of the city. A ski resort would mean we end up in the same sort of situation.”

“It must be nice to leave the city.” Dr. Konstantinov turned to face the window as well. “Me, I have not known a day outside the streets of Leningrad before Zodiac-Altair.” A pause. “In a way, I should be grateful for the assignment – maybe some new sights would do me good.”

“Such as outside the ship, perhaps?” Elena turned back to him, with a smirk on her face.

He rolled his eyes. “That was only necessary to get the spectroscope. It should still be by your terminal – to remind me for later.” He put his face into his hands. “I can only wonder even now how I can get it to him – safe and sound, and perfectly clean.”

“I face a similar dilemma myself, to confess.” Her stomach growled again. “But perhaps that can wait until we’ve had something to eat?”

He looked up. “Č – ?” And then – “Right, yes, the ration packets.” He grabbed his, squeezing just so, to check its consistency. As it turned out, these were ready to eat by now.

Almost at once, Elena latched her mouth on the blown-in straw and started drinking it – and in that same instant, she recoiled at both the heat and the fond memory of home. “I do not know how they managed to do this,” she said, “but it actually tastes freshly-made. But how?”

“Ask France.” Dr. Konstantinov was more content in calmly drinking his boršč. It was hot as well, but he was too used to the familiar sour taste to comment on it – not to mention that it was made in bulk originally for the cosmonauts. “They did the cooking and processing themselves.”

Ach, of course.” She returned to her meal for a moment, returning her attention to the view outside the ship. “What else did they bring? I have to wonder.”

“Several dozen recipes,” he replied, “optimized for various gravitational pulls. They thought of everything.”

“Unlike you, it seems.” She giggled. “Still need you a solution for the spectroscope?”

“Yes.” He paused for a moment. “But you said you have a problem yourself, yes?”

She swallowed her bite, and cleared her throat. “Put simply, I would also like a live sample in my hands – and so would Earth itself, even if the journey takes another five years.” She set the packet on the table and thought for a moment. “The probes should have a return apparatus for samples, ja?

“They do,” Dr. Konstantinov recalled. “But I do not see how they – ” He stopped suddenly, staring blankly ahead – then started wolfing down the remaining boršč as fast as he could, paying no attention to the burning in his mouth and throat. He leapt to his feet and disposed of the empty packet. “I have to go, now.”

“Is something wrong?” Elena had to ask.

This caught him just in time to stop him at the ladder to Zodiac’s core. He strained his mind for what he wanted to use to reply, and it came to him after a moment:

Eureka.

––––

Louis was staying by the radio.

Somerset had gone to bed by now – he had decided to start living by the sixteen-hour day that Rhysling offered. But before he did, he reported what he had been doing that day – he managed to record a few phrases, plus he had just acquired a local job.

At first Louis wanted to laugh, but then realized the logic – if Somerset really wanted to stay on Rhysling, he had to make himself useful in their civilization. For that matter, that same standard clearly would apply to the rest of the colony. Thankfully, Somerset landed a job as a laborer – and was now, hopefully, earning gainful income and proving his worth as a member of their society. If he played his cards right, Louis hoped, Dr. Somerset could end up setting a positive example of what mankind could do, and help secure a colony site.

But that remained to be seen.

Speaking of fingers – he found himself tapping his on the terminal keyboard – not typing per se. In fact, all of this tapping was involuntary twitching. In his mind, it had been three and a half years since he left Earth, but to his body, it had been only about two weeks. Either way, withdrawal was setting in, and right now he would kill to have a good smoke. Having Anton waltz in smelling of the usual sweat from spacewalking didn’t help matters much either.

But alas, tobacco was contraband on Zodiac-Altair – and they needed to monitor oxygen usage as much as possible. Their carbon scrubbers, as long-lived and replaceable as they were, were still finite in their supply, and he knew just as well as NASA that he shouldn’t exacerbate them any further than he already was.

And still, that old craving still haunted him from Maritime Command. He wanted his release – so badly. His lungs were being filled with the same sort of air – two parts oxygen, three nitrogen, and no parts burnt tobacco. As part of the mission, he had to quit smoking entirely, and now he was starting to regret it. Of course, now was too late – while it was still possible to return to Earth, he thought it cowardly to turn around this international multi-billion-dollar ten-years-in-the-making state-of-the-art one-of-a-kind interstellar colony ship and fly back with their tails between their legs. Especially when one of them was still walking around on the surface – he’d have to gamble a chance at launching from Rhysling to return to Zodiac-Altair, to slip back into cryo, along with Weiss, himself, and Konstantinov. . . .

Thankfully, the last of these interrupted his thoughts with some frantic clamoring. “Did something come up, Konstantinov?” he asked.

He was barely able to stop himself and turn to face the commander. “I have a solution at last!” he told Louis. “I know how to get the spectroscope down to Dr. Somserset!”

Louis crossed his arms. “Alright Doctor, I’m listening. What’s your plot?”

“Dr. Weiss told me that she wanted a sample returned from Rhysling. She said that Earth would like such a sample as well. So I thought, maybe we can use a sample-return rocket to deliver the part to him.”

“Interesting idea, Doctor, let me check if it’s actually feasible first.” Finding the manual, Louis flipped to the table of contents. . . . “page 203, ‘sample return mechanism. . . Huh. You might be onto something here.” That section of the manual showed how it had just enough fuel to return a twenty-five-kilogram sample from the surface of a body with Terrestrial-strength gravity. Most of it was dedicated to the working of the sample-return capsule itself. It was a cylindrical pill-shaped object, measuring one meter long and another fifty centimeters in diameter. It was split roughly in half – the bottom contained a rocket and fuel, and the top held the sample itself, along with a parachute for atmospheric entry, and a beacon for recovery. The interior could be sterilized from the probe itself, or even from Zodiac-Altair, for whichever purpose. And to relay samples from Rhysling to Earth, the ship was supposed to have its own supply.

“I’ll go yank one from the cargo, excuse me just a moment. . . .” Louis set the book down – but really set it adrift in the bridge – and dipped down to where the other probes were docked. He turned himself towards the large cargo hold to the rear of Altair’s main body, and quickly, yet thoroughly, scanned its contents. “Voilà!” He spotted a group of cylindrical containers in the back, all meant precisely for sample return – and now for parts delivery, for one of them at least. He started unstrapping some other cargo to get to one.

Meanwhile, Anton was looking around the bridge, waiting for the commander to return. There wasn’t anything interesting for him to look at – terminal on the ceiling, in front of their cryo tanks, and right by his side was Dr. Weiss’s terminal, with the spectroscope still magnetized next to it. Curiosity seized him by his jumpsuit’s collar, and he couldn’t stop himself from looking at the probe’s results thus far with his own eyes. What treasures had RPMR-1 recovered so far?

Most of what he saw on her terminal was as she had described – atmospheric composition, basic elements of local life, and the like. And then there was a folder full of photographs taken from the probe. He opened it, and opened the first one. It was simply a view of the Rhyslinger ground – high up but still within the atmosphere, and it looked like it was descending into a forest. Good for studying local flora and fauna, but if what Dr. Somerset said was correct, it proved bad for first contact – as that area was considered dangerous even for the Indigenous. But then, why not just tame the area, to make it safe?

These and other mysteries from just one image. Anton proceeded to the next one – this was clearly after the probe landed – and before it apparently lost power. Remarkably, the plant life viewed from this angle was much like what one would expect from dear old Earth – lush and green in appearance, and varied in shapes and sizes, colors and textures – he thought he saw mushrooms, too. One could spend potentially centuries studying Rhyslinger life, cataloging the entire biosphere and seeing what few similarities exist with Terrestrial life – or take the easy way out and simply translate what the Indigenous had already named for themselves. But that would be Somerset’s department, not Weiss’s.

The very last photograph transmitted from the probe astounded him – yes, there was Somerset himself, waving at the probe’s camera – rather cheeky – and next to him sat a little pony. But never mind why Rhysling had such beings here – why would Somerset have one of these by his side? There seemed to be no indication that it was a recently-tamed pet, nor would he have knowledge of dying its hair and fur in such bizarre colors and patterns. . . therefore. . . .

Lošadi?” he had to ask aloud, yet to himself. “Čto za bred?” Even less believably, this one had a horn. A horn! On top of its head! It was a unicorn, not just a horse! But was it capable of performing magic, like the legends of yore? “What sort of magic makes this real?”

“Konstantinov, did you say something?” Commander Darcy asked him, when he reëntered the bridge.

Anton closed out from the terminal. “No, Commander.”

Darcy just shrugged. “Eh. Anyway, it seems we’re in luck after all.” He held up one of the spare sample-return capsules, one the size of his torso. “While they’re supposed to relay samples back to Earth, there’s really no reason why we can’t repurpose them to send something down to Rhysling instead.” A pause. “We’ll need to sterilize the instrument, however. You’ve gotten our germs all over it, after all.”

Anton nodded. “Yes, it would seem so.”

With a snap of his fingers, he indicated ‘below’ the bridge. “Launching tube’s right in front of the RPMRs, built-in autoclave, you know how this works.”

Anton nodded.

The commander continued, “Biological contamination would be unavoidable in a years-long voyage like this one, so as you might recall, we sterilize the capsules a second time on-site before loading up the sample. Of course, there is the warning, ‘Do not insert sample before sterilization,’ blah blah blah, we don’t need to listen to it for this one.” He started unscrewing the top. “Where’s the instrument, by the by?”

“It is here.” Anton tapped the spectroscope.

With a firm grip and a strong pull, the commander yanked it free from the magnetized table. The commander then finished unscrewing the top of the rocket, revealing the hollowed cavity, perfectly sized for the spare part. “Right, in you go.” The instrument weighed nothing in microgravity, but both men well understood the gravity of the situation. The commander carefully inserted the instrument within, taking care not to dent or scratch anything important. Once it was in, he, with a bit less elegance, screwed the nose cone back on. “Time to clean.”

He grabbed the floor and guided himself out of the bridge and into Altair’s central cavity – right in front of the launching tube. Next he slotted the capsule inside the tube, closed it behind him, and when he did the automated processes started sterilizing both the outside and the inside of the capsule – ensuring that biosegregation would be maintained on Rhysling.

But while the launching tube could automate a launch, it would launch a sample-return mission into the Flandro Object, and only the Object, considering any other target a ‘miss.’ But he had a trick up his sleeve – and it involved Dr. Somerset. He overrode the automated targeting to aim for TPRU-1 instead, using its signal as a guide, albeit not an absolute one – essentially tricking the program into thinking the Object was on the surface of Rhysling. Once that was done, he would pray it would survive the trip. Though prayer was easy enough, it did nothing to change fate.

“How long until we swing into view of the landing site?” Louis asked. “For Somerset, I mean.”

“I think seven minutes.” Konstantinov kept his eyes glued on the window – with all the time he had spent awake so far, he had used some of it to memorize the larger features on Rhysling. “From here I can see general area, including forest – aim just north of them.”

“Roger that, way ahead of you.” Louis kept his eyes glued on the terminal’s monitor, waiting for the right moment to launch the rocket safely down, do not pass go, do not collect $200. All he had to do was hit the return key for the actual launch – and he waited for Anton’s word to make it happen correctly.

And then, an afterthought – and a way to kill a bit of time. Hoping that Dr. Somerset was awake by now, Louis grabbed the radio. “Tango-1, this is Zulu-Alfa,” he said. “Are you awake, Somerset? Over.”

It took a moment for a reply to come, but come it did. “This is Tango-1,” Adam replied. “I’ve been awake for a few minutes, the sun is about to come up. Is something happening? Over.” Indeed, in Anton’s view, the intended site was just on the cusp of daylight, but was still on the dark side of the planet.

“In T-minus five minutes,” Commander Darcy explained, “we will be launching a capsule, aiming for your landing site. Inside the capsule is a spare spectroscope. It has been sterilized, so you can open the capsule in the field, but it is also delicate, so handle it gingerly and install it carefully. Let us know when you do this – Dr. Weiss has unanswered questions about background radiation, and I have a feeling you do as well. Over.”

Copy Zulu-Alfa, I’ll get some breakfast down first. I’m also supposed to start my local job today, so I’ll have to prioritize depending on when the equipment gets here. Somerset out.

Nodding, Louis set the radio aside. “How long now?” he asked.

“Two minutes,” the doctor replied, still watching. “Probably less. Be ready.”

“Roger.” The commander hovered his finger right on the enter key, so a single twitch would send the payload on its merry way. He waited, with bated breath, for Anton’s signal, whenever it would come.

Behind, though neither man heard it happen, Dr. Weiss returned to the bridge. She noted both men floating steadily in one place, and had to ask, “What is going on?”

Hoo!” Unfortunately, this spooked Commander Darcy into hitting the return key early, thus launching the return rocket early. As he heard the ignition echo from Altair’s central spindle, he let out an “Oh merde, c’est déjà parti!” as he realized his mistake.

“. . . now,” Anton said, dejectedly, as he knew how futile the command would be now.

Louis just sighed. “If you must know, Weiss,” he explained, “we were about to launch a repurposed sample-relay rocket down to Rhysling, to deliver a replacement part to Dr. Somerset so he can fix the probe and get you your radiation readings.” He turned to the window. “Unfortunately, due to certain circumstances beyond my control, the rocket was sent too early, so it will not end up properly on course.”

Elena realized her faux pas. “A thousand apologies, Commander,” she said. “It won’t happen again.”

He said nothing, and kept his eyes on the Rhyslinger view, which was now adorned with a silvery glint of a small vessel heading into it, followed by a blue glow. That glow cut off not long after, as the rockets shut off to conserve fuel – and work to slow its descent later.

Louis and Elena had both given up on ever saving the probe, but Anton did not. He kept his eyes on the planet and the glint, carefully tracking the part’s descent. “What are you doing, Konstantinov?” Louis asked. “That part’s probably gone forever. Even if Somerset can pick up the beacon and find the rocket, I doubt it’ll be intact, either from impact, or Indigenous activity, or – ”

“Commander, sir,” Anton interrupted, pointing at the glint. “It seems we are perfectly accurate after all. Look, there is the forest, there is the settlement, there is the landing site, and now – ” the glint started to gain a red aura, as reëntry ran its course – “Dr. Somerset will have the part in his hands in only a moment’s time.”

Quoi?” Louis returned to the window. “But how can you be so sure? We’re too high up, surely you can see that!”

“But that is the point!” insisted Anton. “We are so high up, my initial. . . erm, reckoning, that is word – was off, but now, with help from Dr. Weiss, we launched at correct opportunity to get the part in the right place!”

Now Louis had to take a second look, just to see if he was indeed right. As he watched, and as Zodiac-Altair orbited Rhysling slowly for the umpteenth time, he saw the forest and nearby settlement start to make its way to the horizon – and there it was, the sample-return rocket, glowing a fiery red from atmospheric entry, well on its way to where TPRU-1 and RPMR-1 were, and not one kilometer to the north, south, east, or west. It was perfect. It was accidentally perfect.

So it would seem.

Author's Note:

Yes, the chapter title is an obvious reference to David Bowie.


Returning a sample from another celestial object is a really hot-button topic, especially if you mention Mars in the same sentence. Not just with getting a rocket with enough room for something meaningful, and enough fuel to make the trip home – if the question of extraterrestrial life is brought up, the work needed becomes ten times harder. You’ve always had to worry about forward contamination, owing to whatever bacteria, viruses, tardigrades, and so forth might be clinging on for the ride, but now you have back contamination thrown into the mix as well, and that’s a whole other can of worms.

We’ve been conceptualizing sample-return missions for Mars, and occasionally for other celestial bodies – in fact, part of Perseverance’s mission is to set the stage for a sample-return mission later this decade. But so far today, the only samples we’ve gotten returned are lunar rocks and soil, courtesy of the Apollo program.


Shinzakura, whom you might recall once served in the U.S. Navy, told me that everyone develops a hobby to pass the months-long trips around the globe, which are 95% nothing but vast empty seas.

For him, it was collecting hats. (No seriously, you should see his collection; what he shows off on his livestreams is just the tip of the iceberg.) Most other seamen turned to vice to fill the time, including drinking and smoking. I don’t imagine Maritime Command (today the Royal Canadian Navy) would be too different in this respect – and as you might tell, Commander Darcy developed a smoking habit while serving.

As an aside, if anyone reading this chapter has been trying to quit smoking tobacco, I’d like to apologize for possibly setting you back.