• Published 29th Dec 2014
  • 625 Views, 13 Comments

The Value Of A Life - AnimeKid22



Fluttershy has always been grateful for what she has, but often feels the weight of her shyness and anxiety. She fights every day to deal with her problems, but there are some battles you just can't fight alone.

  • ...
 13
 625

The Struggle

It was the same dream again, The one that paralyzed her senses and made her lose herself in the madness of agony. Her friends looking upon her with contempt and cold unfeeling. Twilight had a mask of emotionlessness, Rainbow, a look of anger, Pinkie wouldn't even look at her, Applejack had simply walked away, Rarity had a look of disappointment and and a coldness that pierced Fluttershy's heart like a sword. Fluttershy felt weak and couldn't stand straight, her eyes filled with tears.

"P-ple-please don't go! Don't leave me here alone!" Flutter said through her tears and shaking so bad she couldn't speak properly. "I'll change! I promise I will. Just don't leave me!" Fluttershy looked at her friends begging them trying not to completely fall apart. Twilight looked down at her, the expression on her face was now livid with anger.

"No, Fluttershy. You had your chance. Now go away and never come back." Twilight said through her teeth. You could practically feel the rage now seething from Twilight's voice. The others left, except for Rarity. As Twilight walked away, Rarity stared at her. Fluttershy crawled over to her, as she no longer had the strength to walk.

"R-rarity. I'm s-s-s-sorry. Please. Please don't go." Her voice was barely a whisper. "I can be better. I prove that I'm worth keeping around. Just, please don't go!" Fluttershy was crying so much she could barely see. Rarity held her hoof out to Fluttershy, putting a slight smile on her face.

"No." Rarity said coldly. The pain of that word jabbed Fluttershy in the heart like a knife. She might as well have died right there. "You had your chance. You screwed kit up. Now leave." Then Rarity disappeared from view. Fluttershy was now in an abyss of darkness. Fluttershy got up and began to run, searching frantically for her friends.

"Rarity?! Twilight?! Applejack?! Pinkie? Rainbow? Where... did you all go?" Fluttershy crumpled in a heap on the ground and sobbed. She woke up, jolted out of her nightmare. Sweating profusely and crying, Fluttershy sat in her bed with her head between her hooves, sobbing loudly. She looked up after a while and noticed it was still dark outside. "Well, I guess I won't be going back to bed anytime soon." Fluttershy decided to get up and wash her face as well as fix her mane. When she walked into the bathroom and saw her reflection in the mirror, she wasn't really surprised. She was pale and her mane was matted and wet, causing it to get stuck to her coat. After washing and coming her mane, she sat in her bed and tried to relax for a while. The dream she had felt so real, the words of her friends echoing in her mind. She had never told any of her friends that this was going on though. She didn't want to bother them with her problems. The very idea of trying to bother them with it made her shudder with fear. She feared that they would become annoyed, and eventually... abandon her. No. She would face it herself. She didn't need anypony's help with this. Fluttershy knew she could it without any help. At least, that's what she kept trying to convince herself. It was then that Fluttershy remembered an old habit. One she tried to rid herself of, but found that, in this moment, that it would console her. She opened up her nightstand drawer and saw a bottle of whiskey that she had touched. She had kept it hidden so she would never open it, but temptation had finally made her cave. She picked up the bottle and sat down on her bed, eyes red from crying and stared at the bottle for a moment, swirling it around in circles. She popped open the bottle and took a swig of it. She had forgotten how smooth it tasted and licked her lips. She sat against the headboard and took another swig, savoring the flavor of the whiskey.

She started feeling the warmth and fuzziness of the liquor after a few drinks. Admittedly, she was a bit of a lightweight, which she felt was to her advantage because she had more for the next time she drank. The warm fuzzy feeling grew stronger to the point that she could no longer sit up straight. The more times she tried, the more she failed, which made her laugh. The only time she felt genuinely comfortable was when she was either with her animal friends, or when she was drunk. At this point she had drowned out any thought and just relaxed herself as she hummed a tune and started singing to herself. She drank a bit at a time so she wouldn't get sick or too drunk. By the time she knew it, it was already time to feed the animals. She got up and immediately fell down on the floor, struggling to get back up. Once she had gotten back on her hooves and walking, or rather, stumbling, she went downstairs and managed to complete her chores. Angel looked a bit worried and attempted to see what was wrong with Fluttershy.

"O-oh do-don't worr-y a-about me Angel. I'm doin' great." Fluttershy tried to pacify his worry, but the way she was slurring her words and the way her breath smelled told him that she had been drinking. He had been there through the last time she drank. It wasn't a great sight to witness. He reached out his paw but she pushed it away. "I said I'm doin' fine Angel." Fluttershy said with irritation in her voice. She immediately regretted doing that to him. She knew he was concerned. "Sorry Angel." She then flew away, though not in a straight pattern. She decided it to be a good idea to walk instead. She had to go help Rarity after all.

Comments ( 7 )

Heh... this could make things a little different at the party thingy... you never fail to impress me.... bravo! :yay:

Plus, I'm sorry if I read this like, 10 hours after you post it, I think we have different time zones.... but I'll always try and read it whenever possible! After all, I wouldn't miss a post from this story!

5591748 Thank you! This one has been a challenge for me to write honestly. Nevertheless, it has been a powerful story emotionally thus far and it will continue to deliver the same level of intensity through the story

I bet it it! You're doing well though considering how difficult you're finding it.... seriously though, cannot wait to see what the others react like... it's gonna get good!

5594094 Indeed it will. A lot of sad things will happen before it gets better for her

Hmm, well, I'll leave you be and wait for the new chapter... no pressure of course! Xx

5762499 Thanks for the review! I'll try to incorporate those two ideas going into the following chapters and edit the first two slightly. I'm still learning a lot, and it helps to get tips and constructive criticism to make stories better

Login or register to comment