• Published 12th Dec 2014
  • 322 Views, 5 Comments

The Rich and the Noble - Viper Redbird



The story of a Changeling and an Earth Pony who struggle to reconcile.

  • ...
1
 5
 322

Chapter 1: Imposter

The Rich and the Noble
Chapter 1

Equestria, the land of Ponies. It has faced many great dangers, and yet it remains whole, making it a spotlight for tourists. But for others, it is merely a reminder of what could not be. Our tale is about the life of one such example.

Icy Soul, Prince Blueblood and Top Hat sat together in a private room in a restaurant. A large chandelier hung above them, providing illumination. The room was lavishly decorated, with wallpapers on the walls and a red carpet covering the whole floor. The table was laden with a feast for three, along with tea.

Icy Soul sighed with guilt as she fed on Top Hat’s and Blueblood’s friendship for each other. They were animatedly chatting about Blueblood’s new fashion line, which would all be designed by Top Hat. Inside, Icy felt jealous at Top Hat, jealous that he had friends, real friends, who cared about the real him.

“Hey Icy, so what do you think about midnight blue with Prince Blueblood’s coat?” Top Hat asked Icy Soul, who raised a brow in return.

“Well, I wouldn’t know, Top Hat.” Icy Soul replied matter-of-factly. “You’re the Royal Designer for a reason, after all.” She proceeded to continue sipping her tea.

“Talk about enigmatic, young filly.” Princes Blueblood commented at Icy. She shrugged in response. “Oh alright, speak up!” Blueblood cried, annoyed out of his mind. It was not often anypony refused to speak to him. Especially mares.

Icy chuckled and Top Hat had a hearty laugh at the expense of their Prince. Icy took more of the friendship magic that Blueblood shared with Top Hat. She was really wishing she could just be a normal pony for once…

Icy bit her lips. Feelings are messages… ignore the message… Icy silently thought. She couldn’t cry, not now. Not in front of the ponies, lest her disguise be found out. That would definitely be bad… the idea that Top Hat has relationships with Changelings might be enough to crush his business. Icy did not want that to happen. That, and she would lose her only source of food.

The night progressed. Blueblood ordered slices of cake, one for each ‘pony’. Top Hat got hit by inspiration during the middle of eating his slice of carrot cake. As expected, the room nearly got covered in cake. Thankfully, Icy managed to clean it up. And then she proceeded to dump it in Top Hat’s mouth. Blueblood burst into a fit of laughter as soon as he saw the state Top Hat had been in, and Icy soon joined. Once he got his hooves on a reflective surface, Top Hat joined in the hapiness and laughter.

Soon, even the energetic Top Hat felt tired. The three friends retired into their homes for the night. Top Hat and Duchess Icy Soul lived in the upper district of Canterlot, and Prince Blueblood lived in the castle. Icy walked the cobblestone roads of Upper Canterlot, her destination firmly in mind. She was going to go home and get a ‘good night’s rest’.

~@$@~

Top Hat happily sighed as he cleaned the last of the cake off his coat. Icy Soul is a great friend, but sometimes she’s just too… annoying. Unstable. And so… cute. Top Hat groaned as his mind started making plans for his wedding with Icy. Shut up, brain! She is not marrying me and I don’t like her!!! Top Hat’s eye twitched as his mind continued the wedding scene.

Top Hat decided to ignore his imagination for the time being and headed to his bedroom. A single candle magically illuminanted the spacious room, casting eerie shadows all the while. Top Hat placed his hat into his wardrobe, where there were dozens of other hats. No wait, hundreds actually.

Top Hat trotted to his drawing table, opened a drawer and produced a quill, some ink and a fresh peice of parchment. He was ready to begin working on Prince Blueblod's new line. Soon, it was late into the night. Top Hat trotted over to his balcony. He looked up at the Moon, shining gloriously, protecting Equestria during the night. Top basked in the light of the full moon. He liked the Sun, sure. But Top Hat has always been inspired by the Moon, mysterious and unyielding.

Top Hat saw a flash of green light to the corner of his eyes. His pupils widened to the size of dinner plates. He knew about Changelings and the threat they posses to Equestria as a whole. But how did a Changeling end up in Equestria in the first place? There are measures in place to prevent a Changeling from entering Equestria… Let alone Canterlot!

And then, another flash of green Changeling magic appeared, further away. Top Hat leaped from his balcony, landed in his gardens, and ran to the streets. He knew the direction the magic had came from. And he didn’t slow down, knowing that Icy Soul was in mortal danger. Top Hat galloped past the open gates into the wide streets. Not for the first time, he cursed the fact that he lived far away from the Castle, and Icy Soul more so. Dang it, Icy, why do you bucking have to live so far away?! He silently cursed. This was not good.

Top Hat skidded to a halt in front of Icy’s mansion when he heard her calling his name from behind him. “Top Hat, what are you doing out here?” Icy asked the royal designer once she caught up. She had a worried frown plastered on her face, but Top Hat was still not facing her.

‘’Icy! I thought that a changeling had got to you!” Top Hat exclaimed, relieved. He turned back to see Icy. Only that Icy Soul, the unicorn noble who was kind, wasn’t a unicorn. Top Hat’s mouth hung open.

In front of him was a changeling. It’s carapace gleamed black in the moonlight, and a pair of fangs could be seen protruding from its mouth. The changeling blinked once and Top Hat saw a difference in it’s eyes. They were not the usual changeling blue, but rather were a pale and dim white.

“W-who are you!” Top Hat shouted at the changeling. It blinked in response before black flames consumed it’s body. The changeling changed into Icy Soul. “Top Hat, it’s me. Don’t you recognize me? It's me, Icy Soul.” The changeling said.

Author's Note:

This story is a collab with

Go shower him with love! Nah, just kidding! But seriously, his stories are great:pinkiehappy:

Comments ( 5 )

Very fast paced

and i read your collaborator nickname as epilepticmare ...ops

5374170
Yes, it's fast paced, because I have little to no patience. Oh, and cliffhanger in the end, LOL

Is this story still alive?

6084595

Yes, but unfortunately I think I will have to continue this alone, since Epic has gone silent about this.

Login or register to comment