• Published 11th Dec 2014
  • 366 Views, 2 Comments

What Remains III: Cracked Sky - Bateman66



Given command over a revitalized Night Lords, Alistair and Shale Press prepare for all out assault against the vile kingdom of Equestria. But, the motivations and feelings between the two threaten to rip the entire war effort apart.

  • ...
 2
 366

[Cancellation and Unwritten Chapters]

Letter from the Author

After much consideration and hesitance on the topic I've decided to entirely cancel Cracked Sky and put the Alistair series on hold.

A multitude of reasons contributed to this course of action such as other projects, lack of interest, unexplained negative feedback (I can't get better if you don't tell me why), unneeded stress and just general boredom. Writing has always been an enjoyed passion of mine but the format that this site presents it in really does suck out a large majority of the fun involved, making the process of writing these stories more of a job than a pastime.

I'm not sure if I'm entirely resigning from writing pony on this site but as of now I really want to get out if it all for awhile and actually focus on projects I can enjoy without worry of user feedback. It was a great time while it lasted but I really can't take this much anymore.

That being said, the initial concept for Cracked Sky was really fun to plan out, and thus, I'd like to provide a synopsis on what was supposed to happen as the story continued. Enjoy!

Summary

While writing out a covert message to all active Night Lord agents to begin recording Equestrian troop movements, Alistair is approached by Shale Press that evening. She continues making romantic advances towards him which he finally openly questions. She explains that she's always felt something special for him and that he shouldn't be uncomfortable with her attraction. Unsure with this but not quite knowing what to make of this, he hesitantly accepts her reasoning.

Meanwhile, Pen observes as the Nightmare Plague worsens in Canterlot and sees the eventual Sun Guard lock-down of the city and others in Equestria. While attempting to deliver a field report to other sleeper agents, he is nearly arrested by a Sun Guard for breaking the nation-wide curfew. At that moment, a group of ponies, finally driven to madness by the Plague attack the Guard, allowing Pen to escape.

Back at the Crescent Fortress, Alistair, Shale, and the rest of the higher-ranking Night Lord Wizards go over the final preparations for the strike at Canterlot. Silver Eclipse is strangely absent from the group but others quickly dismiss it as nothing.

After the meeting Alistair returns to the anti-chamber where Luna is being held to siphon one last dose of her power in preparation for the attack. However, when he arrives he finds Silver Eclipse waiting for him. The old colt reveals the Luna had informed him of his true motives of revenge instead of the dissolution of Equestria and that he has been turned back to the light by Luna's revelation. Now seeing Alistair as a threat, Silver Eclipse attacks him.

The two exchange blows until Silver Eclipse gets the upper hand. Nearing defeat and giving in to his anger, Alistair telepathically throws him into the force field containing Luna, mortally wounding him. They share one last moment together with Eclipse telling him he still has a chance to let go of his anger and that he always wished the best for him. With these last words he dies in Alistair's hands.

Grief stricken and in shock, Alistair further embraces his hate and begins to feel a growing darkness within himself. Luna claims he's reaching a point of no return but he visualizes it as a power that rival even Celestia herself.

Now, with everything in place, the order is given to fly the fleet of Air Destroyers to the Crystal Empire and await further instructions. Shale Press opts to stay with the auxiliary force but hands him a covert letter to read once the battle has been won. She then kisses him suddenly which he finally half accepts and begins to feel legitimate love towards Shale.

As the attack force nears the Crystal Empire, while making very clear of their approach through random attacks on the surface, Celestia orders a massive counter force to intercept them over the arctic kingdom. However, when the Equestrian Airships arrive they find the entire Night Lord fleet has disappeared without a trace.

In reality, Alistair casts a 'shroud appearance' spell over the entirety of the fleet with Luna's stolen magic enhancing the duration and potency. Now invisible to the Sun Guard, they continue unseen to a lightly-defended Canterlot and begin bombarding the city. Pen observes the attack from his home and decides to not join the Night Lord attack, unsure how about who exactly will win.

Understanding her old friend has finally revealed himself, Twilight Sparkle takes command of the remains of Canterlot's Sun Guard engages the Night Lord fleet head on while Celestia stays behind to protect the city's inhabitants. While the battle unfolds, Twilight sneaks aboard Alistair's capital ship attempts to covertly subdue him. Sensing her arrival, he knocks onto the ship's deck and challenges her to open combat, finally granting him his long awaited chance at revenge.

Using Luna's powers and his own dark magic, Alistair is easily able to engage Twilight, painfully toying with her in glee. As she begins to lose hope, Luna, mysteriously released from her imprisonment by an unseen figure, calls out to her weakly through her magic. She explains that Alistair still is a good soul and simply needs to remember the friendship and enjoyment he felt before he lost hope in life.

Charging at him, Twilight uses the combined effort of her own Element of Harmony and Luna's magic to cause Alistair to remember his past life before his descent into darkness. Overwhelmed with happiness and sorrow, Alistair quietly embraces Twilight while begging for forgiveness.

As this happens, Twilight notices that the Night Lord warships begin to retreat from Canterlot while the Night Lords on Alistair's ship abandon it. Confused but not deterred, she comforts a sobbing Alistair and promises that everything will be fine.

Comments ( 2 )
giz

me seemed a pleasant reading, and negative votes

the cover image influences to attract or repel readers
this is a hie many readers hate this genre
Many readers avoid stories with short chapters

and sometimes it's a matter of luck I've seen, very bad stories get a good rate, and decent stories be ignored for a while, before reaching a good rate

5570228 Thank you for the compliment!

I know what you mean, I've been going through what you described for quite awhile and it's just starting to get frustrating. I always try to get some kind of cover image going to give a visual appeal to anyone who sees it, but if what you are describing is true than maybe it should be dropped all together. On top of that, I never knew people disliked short chapters. I've always had trouble getting a fuller understanding of what people actually want on this site, even after being on it for two freaking years.

Either way, thank you very much for commenting. It's incredibly helpful when people leave info that's actually worthwhile instead of dropping a like or dislike and then disappearing.

Login or register to comment