• Published 26th Apr 2012
  • 809 Views, 6 Comments

The Draconeques: The Story Of A Nation - CCKuribon



The tale of what caused discords imprisonment in his stone casket. Enjoy :)

  • ...
1
 6
 809

The Gryphons

Hey everyone that is reading this. I went on a bit of a writing spree and ended up with 3 chapters done instead of sleeping...

I hope you all enjoy this story I'm only just starting to get to the part that i personally think is where it gets good. After all who doesn't love a good fight scene, meddling in the politics of a foreign nation and a 5 year time skip? Oops...seems like I've just given out a few spoilers...well I hope that's enough to get you all to keep reading...because that's all going to happen in the next 3-5 chapters...depending on idea flow...and what you all think of my ideas currently.

Don't forget to be happy and I hope you all have a wonderful day/night. Now on with the show...uh I mean story.

The cliff face was not at large as I had first thought. We easily made it up in less than ten minutes of continual flying. Though what occurred at the top was less than impressive.

As Discord and I alighted on the top of the cliff a loud cawing sound could be heard for the distance. Unsure of what the noise was I huddled discord behind me as I began to survey the landscape for any signs of danger. From my left I heard the rustling of wings and another caw though much deeper this time. I quickly forced Discord down to the ground along with me as a large figure burst from the ground nearby and leapt at where we were previously standing. Pushing Discord along the ground I rolled in the opposite direction from him and sprung back to my feet. I quickly snuck a glance at the creature and saw its feathered head and sharp talons. This was a Gryphon. The gryphon swung its talons in my direction. I jumped backwards and rolled to my right as it leapt straight towards me again. Seeing an opportunity I leapt towards the gryphon and tried to throw it on its side though it noticed what I was trying to do. Immediately it took a step back and then lunged forward as soon as my momentum ceased. Trapping me in a firm grip it began to swing its head backwards. I had forgotten about its sharp beak. I panicked and fell back on the only thing that I thought might work

“Political emissary” I screamed

Immediately it hesitated.

“I’m a political emissary from the Draconeques” I said, trying to convince it that there was no reason to harm me.

“How do I know you’re not lying? I’ve never heard of an emissary traveling with a child before…or even a Draconeques emissary for that matter”

“I promise you I’m not lying” I stated “I’m traveling from our land because it was invaded by a foreign army. That’s why I have the child. I rescued him and fled here. I figured that the gryphons where the safest choice in regards to protecting this child from any more violence. I also thought it would be the best choice to inform your leader of the actions that occurred so close to your boarders “I reasoned. I hoped that was convincing enough that it would at least not harm the child.

“Hmm…very well then. I'll cease this violence for now but this does not mean that I trust you on your word alone” he told me. Now that the fighting had ceased it was easy to tell that this gryphon was male

“That’s good enough for me” I replied. Anything was better than being pecked to death for no reason.

“So what are you doing here?” he asked

“I already told you our land was invaded”

“That wasn’t what I was meaning. I want to know why they picked you to bring the news. Your not strong, fast or impressive. I'm almost certain that there are others that are better suited to travel than you”

“They didn’t pick me…” I replied slowly.

“Then you lied to me about being an emissary”

“No I didn’t… it’s just that…that we are the only survivors…that is why we weren’t sent…we are all that is left of the Draconeques species…” I told him sadly.

“You mean to tell me that your entire race was eradicated instantly?” he asked, astonished by the news.

“…yes…”

I don’t think he knew to take this news.

“An attack of such magnitude so close to our boarders…and not a single one of us knew. How did it happen” he asked

“They came under the cover of nightfall” I replied “they surrounded our village and burnt our buildings. By the time that any sought of defense could be mustered they had taken out our leaders and guards. Then a large pony with both wings and a horn used some form of magic. I fled after that so I don’t know exactly what happened but shortly after I left the town…vanished”

“You mean it was teleported?”

“No… it was destroyed instantly” I told him “the magic from before seemed to be some sought of explosive or something”

"Did you atleast see what this pony looked like? Anything like color or size?"

"No...It was dark and I couldn't make much out through the smoke and flames"

“I see” he stated “well I suppose we can take you to Beakador. If what you say is true then we might be capable of offering you lodging as a casualty of war”

“ I thank you then, for offering your services as an escort. Might I ask you name?”

“My name is Talonius” he replied “I am a commander of the gryphon army, Boarder Division. I am currently in charge of securing our borderlands until such time as is deemed no longer necessary.”

“very well then. Shall we depart then?”

“one moment” I replied. I scanned the area and spotted Discord hiding by a tuff of grass. “you can come out now Discord. This man isn’t going to try and hurt anyone anymore”

"I had forgotten about him...though I suppose we did change the topic quite sharply didn't we?

Discord popped his head up from the tuff. He quietly made his way to my side. As he reached me I took a step back and gently pushed him towards the commander. Discord just stood there staring at the commander…and the commander just stared back.

“He has intelligent eyes” said Talonius “I bet he would love riddles”

“Oh please no. I don’t think he needs anything like that…he would just drive us all crazy with them” I laughed

“Oh come now I’m certain he isn’t as bad as what you make him out to be”

Oh how those words would come back to haunt him.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment