• Published 2nd Sep 2014
  • 727 Views, 2 Comments

Flying - eLLen



Rainbow Dash loves flying.

  • ...
1
 2
 727

Supersonic

As she broke through the bed of clouds forming a plateau of mock-land, she honestly hoped there wouldn’t be any other flier deciding to get in her way before either of them could react. Fortunately for her and the would-be victim of a rapid, quite literally head on collision, the sky was clear-of ponies that it. It was a cloudy day, actually.

Finally deciding to slow down, albeit not too happily, she steadily slowed her speed, decelerating, until she came to a hovering stop in the air. It was sunny, unlike the below-cloud-level earth almost everyone else saw. It was always sunny up here. The only reason it wasn’t always sunny at lower altitudes was, in fact, said clouds. Up was, in a way, a serene getaway that was always welcoming to whoever came up to visit, what with the sun beaming down with its…beams. Heh, funny, she thought.

This time, however, she wasn’t going here to bask in the warmth, perhaps catch some rays with her signature sunglasses, but instead, this was the first part of her plan. Normally, she wasn’t one to make plans. When a plan had to be made, it usually went to one of her friends. The anomaly wasn’t as odd as it seemed, though. Truthfully, the plan was just to pull off one her of tricks. One that required a high starting point to build up speed. Yes, she was going to pull of the previously described breaking of the sound barrier. She had done this trick, much to the annoyance of any sleepyheads, every day since the competition. An athlete had to practice after all.

Looking down, she was greeted with the fluffy whiteness of clouds, leaving no view of the world below her, with the exception of a certain hole in one floating mass. No specific spot to aim her record-breaking descent as a result. She would just hope for the best, just as she had done when going through the clouds. There was no real danger, she was sure, as she had been doing this trick all week. She was in perfect control of it.

With that, she swooped down, kicking off her descent in her usual sudden and fast manner. The clouds broke before her, bowing out of the way as the queen of the air glanced by without a care. The land came next into her view, it in its usual blurry view. This time, however, it became hardly visible as a now-familiar cone of air formed around her, bending to her will. She rocketed down towards ground, speed increasing exponentially, only waiting to hit the target. She encountered resistance, but it was nothing. The tugging all around her at the multiplied gravitational forces were merely brushed off.

With no indication to anyone but her, bearing the exception of a screeching air as it was pierced, the cone exploded outwards, shooting her forward in a wild rush of unrivaled speed and, as much as she would deny it, beauty. The sight of the sonic boom, or rainboom as she had named after it herself, was a marvelous sight, from the outwards expansion of color stuck in a repeating pattern to the figure of solitude emerging from it, their own polychromatic trail in pursuit yet always managing to keep up.

She enjoyed the ecstasy as it lasted, but it always ended, much to her dismay, as it did then. Slowing down as to not create a colorful smear on the ground, she found herself once again hovering, this time much closer to the earth. She looked back up her path, admiring the now-vanishing remains of her ultimate maneuver. She grinned. This was what life was about, enjoying it to the fullest. With that, she set off, planning to give the sleepyheads another treat.

Rainbow Dash loved flying.

Comments ( 2 )

Up in was, in a way, a serene getaway

Don't think the In was necessary.

Truthfully, the plan was just to pull off one of tricks.

One of her tricks.

The sight of the sonic boom, or rainboom as she had named after herself,

Named it after herself.

Lovely story. :twilightsmile:

4942525
Thanks! Glad you liked it. Fixed typos as well.

Login or register to comment