• Published 25th Aug 2014
  • 832 Views, 15 Comments

Bugs and Steel - Beta-17



Can a cast out from a hive that has been dead longer then Equestria's very existence of be the only salvation of another hive close to death?

  • ...
5
 15
 832

End Scene (Chapter-10)

Cold where the days that followed the sudden attack on the Capitol city of Canterlot, but they were anything but quiet. Chrysalis had agreed to a temporary truce between the Solar Empire and her Changeling Swarm to help repair the damage done by Panzer’s shock and awe campaign. Pegasi where lifting large pieces of buildings back into place with the help of several Changelings. The helmets and weapons issued by Panzer where being collected for disposal. The metal would be melted down and used for rebar to support the buildings; the wood would be liquefied to make paper for treaties between the Changeling Hive and the land of Equestria. On the day of Red’s funeral Pixel stood next to the body and on her analytical side she was confused, Red like herself and others of her species had never received a funeral. It had been thought of as strange that a machine would receive a burial or anything other than a moment of silence. Celestia had recovered from the gunshot to her chest and now stood in the museum where Red’s body was to be restored and displayed to remember the heroic deeds and tragic passing of the Metal Man. The humanoid figure was positioned on a stand, his feet apart one hand wrapped around the PPSh-41 he was issued with, it had been gutted of all its firing components leaving nothing but a hollow shell of an SMG. And his other hand was positioned in a salute.

“I like it, it’s a bit cryptic, but I like it.” Pixel tilted her head, arms folded. “But what’s being done with Panzer’s remains?”

“They are to be locked away along with other dangerous artifacts, so he will never again threaten another life.” Celestia replied.

“Heh, so what is he like the Ark of the Coven? I didn’t realize I was in an Indiana Jones movie.” Pixel chuckled to herself. She received a few curious looks from Twilight and her friends because of the similar reference Red had made just a few weeks before. Queen Chrysalis entered the room and began to speak to the group observing Red’s exhibit.

“Princess, I do not know how to communicate this in any other way. I am sorry, for what my Changelings did.” Chrysalis apologized.

“Well, I hope this means our nations can now have a brighter future, I suppose our foreign relations have been lacking for the past few years.” Celestia was unsure whether or not to take the Queen’s apology as genuine or another attempt at a stab in the back.

“Well, if anything good came from this it would be the reformation of the Changeling homeland.” Chrysalis tried to reassure Celestia that because her land was no longer a wasteland she would have no reason to try to take another. The land was once again fertile, and the buildings that weren’t being used to manufacture weapons still stood offering room for business and housing. The solar princess was still not one hundred percent convinced but she figured that if Chrysalis really wanted her dead she would have waited until after Panzer had finished her off before putting an end to him. Twilight and her friends had decided that it would be an appropriate time to head back to Ponyville; they had been gone for only two weeks, but it felt like months.

Twilight and her friends, now with the company of Pixel and their new acquaintance Lyra headed back to the train station for the long and somber ride back to Ponyville. Down at the train station construction crews of both Changelings and Ponies worked to remove a train that had plowed into the station. It had been driven there at a high speed unable to stop before impacting with the brick building. Pixel examined the sword Luna had given to her as a thank you for helping save Equestria. It was actually Luna’s from back during the Solar Lunar war but was now given to Pixel to both thank her and to bury hatchet with her sister. The blade whistled as it sliced through the air, it was beaten up now more than before the siege a few days ago but it was still a good blade. The Train’s whistle blew Twilight, Rarity, Applejack, Pinkie pie, a disheartened Fluttershy, Rainbowdash, Applebloom, Sweetiebelle, Scootaloo, Pixel and Lyra all boarded the train on their way home. As it turned out Pixel and Rainbow happened to have a lot in common. They spent a few hours of the trip telling stories of great feats they accomplished. Rainbow told about the time she performed a sonic rainboom and Pixel shared about the time she shot a jet out of the sky with a stray shot from an anti-vehicle rifle. Lyra too had a few things to talk about. She was still fascinated by the concept of their world once being ruled by a race of living beings like Pixel and the late Red.

Deep in a dark warehouse that seemed to go on for miles in all directions sat one wooden crate among many, the word Classified was painted onto the box with the royal stamp of the Solar Empire. The buzzing of an electric lamp was the only indication that time was passing. There were no guards on site due to the vastness of the building. A Mare pushing a cart with another wooden crate passed the spot with the box of interest. When she passed a shadow enveloped the buzzing lamp, the entire area around the crate went dark. The mare froze at the sound of a clang, and a creaking noise. Somepony was opening a crate. She turned around and saw a pair of floating red eyes watching her intently, only to see them vanish as quickly as they appeared.

When the lights came back on the mare found the top of a wooden crate lying on the ground next to a crowbar. She found two trails; the liquid trail seemed to vanish in the maze of crates, instead she followed the trail of packing straw over to the opened crate that measured about six feet long. Inside rested only two signs of anything ever being in the crate; black, oil stained straw, and a severed metal hand, still holding tight to a Luger.

Author's Note:

Longer than the last one but still kind of short, but this now marks the end of Bugs and Steel. Thank you for reading!

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment