• Published 17th Aug 2014
  • 522 Views, 5 Comments

Derpy Writes A Novel - Murp



After witnessing all Twilight's success with her latest novel, Derpy Hooves decides to get into the writing business herself.

  • ...
1
 5
 522

Observation is key

Where we last left off, young Derpy Whooves got fired from her weather job, but found a new calling, and that's writing books. Let's read on..

Derpy had just finished tucking Dinky in when she thought of yet another idea.

"If I'm going to write a book, I need to know the process!" Derpy concluded, her mind racing. "And who better to learn from then Twilight herself?"

The bubbly mare closed the door in her daughter's room and skipped merrily outside into the starry night, grabbing a bag and the piece of paper she had been writing on on her way out.

Luna had just finished placing the moon in the sky, as she flew back to her castle.

Derpy crept through the sleeping town all the way to Twilight's tree house. She poked in through the window and saw the purple unicorn still up, reading one of her books.

The grey mare watched her flip page after page, not doing much else. Suddenly, she burst out, "Do something else!"

Twilight frantically looked over. She bookmarked her page and walked over to the window, opening it.

"Derpy! What are you doing spying on me?" she asked.

"I'm not spying. I'm observing," Derpy protested. Then, she took out her paper from the bag and showed it to Twilight. "See? I'm writing a story and I wanted to get to know how the process works, and you've already published five best-sellers, so I thought I'd observe you." She smiled.

Twilight stared at her for a moment and then broke out in laughter, "Y-you're going write a book! Ha ha ha!" Tears started to form in her eyes. "Oh Derpy that's the funniest thing I've ever heard in my entire life."

Derpy felt tears forming in her own eyes, but not tears of laughter. They were tears of sadness.

"Derpy, I think it's really cute that you're writing your own book. Come in ya nut ball." Twilight gestured for Derpy to come inside through the window.

Derpy obeyed and crawled into the window. She fell on her tummy when she got into the house.

Twilight's face turned serious again, as she grabbed some paper, pencils, and a copy of the book she was reading, Flash's Candy. She then put them down on the table.

"Now, Derpy, every good story starts from a good idea. For example, my story, Flash's Candy is about Flash Sentry, a young, orange pegasus who loves Twilight Shimmer, a very beautiful unicorn."

"Is Twilight Shimmer based off of you?" Derpy asked.

"No!" Twilight quickly snapped, but cooled herself down. "Now enough of that, let's see your idea so far." She took the sheet of paper from Derpy's hooves and scanned her eyes over it. She looked up at the grey mare, who had a wide grin plastered on her face.

"Derpy, I don't think spiders eat muffins.. Let alone bake them," Twilight told her.

"And why not? Everypony loves muffins!" Derpy excitedly fluttered her wings, making the papers fly into the air.

Twilight used her magic to bring them down. She frowned and shrugged. "I'm not sure how to help you. Your idea is completely ridiculous and doesn't make any sense."

"Well, I haven't even written it," Derpy truthfully stated. "Can I come back in a week, or so, when I've finished the menuscript for it?"

"You mean, manuscript," Twilight corrected, a hint of amusement in her violet eyes. "And one week to write one is a bit absurd."

"I can do it," Derpy shot, louder than she should have. "And it'll be way more successful than all of your stories put together!"

"Okay, we'll see about that," Twilight smirked. Her horn revving up with magic.

Derpy bit her lip. She didn't mean to make a bet, but she didn't want to lose it, either.

"Out ya go!" Twilight smiled, her magic kicking Derpy out the window again.

She slammed it close and returned to reading her book.

Derpy lay on the cold, ground outside. She felt her skin shiver with nervousness, as she headed back home.

The damp ground left some of it's contents on her hooves. It also made a delightful squishy noise with every step, but it was hard for Derpy to enjoy it because of the weight on her shoulders.

Her mind ached for anyway to get out of the deal, but her heart and her pride wouldn't allow it. She was tired of being known as a pony who couldn't do anything. She wanted to do something with her life for once.

And that's just what she was going to do.

Comments ( 1 )

Yay more derpy funtimes!! Don't bediscorouged ditzy you can do it!

Login or register to comment