• Published 13th Apr 2012
  • 7,832 Views, 645 Comments

My Little Heartbreak: Creativi-Tea - Jet_Black1980



It's a week later and Twilight is nagging Heartbreak about her first letter to Celestia.

  • ...
19
 645
 7,832

Playing Heartstrings.

Chapter 18

Playing Heartstrings.

“Alright, then it is settled,” Twilight said, wiping her mouth with a napkin. “We’ll go over to the Pen & Quill and have a talk with Ghost Writer. I’m sure it’ll boil down to nothing but a big misunderstanding. Then we’ll ask for some more erasers and check in on Heartbreak.”

Spike rolled his eyes. He loved Twilight like a mother or an older sister, but sometimes she just seemed a little too naive about some things. If it wasn’t covered in one of her books, she just couldn’t wrap her head around it. She had gotten better with her time in Ponyville, but still. “Yeah, sure, big misunderstanding.” Spike tossed some bits on the table next to the bill as a tip to the waiter. “We’ll just see about that.”

Twilight shook her head. “Ghost Writer is a good pony, Spike. A bit strange, but he has a good heart.”
“It isn’t his heart I would worry about there, Twi’” Spike replied. “Even a lonely pony has to watch where he puts his-”


“Hooves. I needto knowmore about Hooves,” I say out loud. “Why didn’t thiscome tome before?!” I look over the books in front of me. Behind me there is a slight mess. Well, a bit of a mess. Alright, it’s a big mess. A necessary mess. A wonderful mess. A mess where I know where everything is, kind of mess. “I’m In’a library! Why wouldn’t theyhave books onthis subject! Equinephysiology! Equinephysiology! Where areyou!? AhHA! There youare. Right whereyou shouldbe! Right inthe ‘E’s!” Figures that Twilight would put it in the E’s and not in the medical section. Then again, maybe Spike did it. I wonder if there is a dragon physiology. Wait no, there isn’t. We covered that in Dragon Quest. There was little or no information on the subject of dragons at all. Right. I lift my hoof up and pull the book off the shelf. I don’t care that it falls on the ground, I just need a diagram. Something, anything, that will show me the inner workings of a horse’s hoof. The pages flip open and it is a section on the internal organs. “Nope!Not whatIwant!” I try to flip the pages with my hoof. It doesn’t work. Rolling my eyes, I sigh and use my lips to move the pages. It annoys me to no end, but it works. “And Ineed toseethe Index!” Hooves. Page 144. Ha, One hundred and forty-four. My favorite number. I shake my head. I flip to the page as quickly as possible. There I find what I seek. Nice clean diagrams of my current appendage. The ones I want are the internal views and the bottom view.

“Alrightthen...” I look at my own right hoof just to get an idea of where everything is. There are a lot of words and explanations about how important hooves are to your health and proper precautions to take to keep them in good shape. There are comparative diagrams too!

“Deviant alteration mental nomenclature! HB! Focus!” I locate the ‘frog’ of my hoof, a ‘v’ shaped structure, then I trace my left hoof around the edge of my right. I have to be very, very careful about all this in what I want. If I mess up, there isn’t any way of going back here. At least not without a trip to the hospital and several months of waiting. Hooves seem to grow at the same rate as fingernails. And I have damaged those before, took months to regrow right. Hooves are far thicker than that. “If I getthem todrill a channel throughthe wall,righthere, without hitting intothe waterline, righthere. Ican get the result I want withoutresorting to,” I shudder, “Horseshoes.”

I quickly make rather delicate marks on my hooves with a splotch of ink here and there. “I shoulddraw out somequick diagrams before I go.” I search out through the papers and clutter I have created in my musings. There are drawings, ideas, and even some poems, all scattered across the table, the floor and a few things upstairs. It’s amazing what I have done without any internet or others to distract me, and my attention completely focused on one singular task. Well, several tasks. But now, what I chiefly need is just some blank paper. “Ah, herewego. Now, something, something to show the driller, and then..” I quickly sketch out where I want this to go. “And then something to fill it with...” These ideas are going to be so awesome. Right now as it stands, these ideas are nearly burning a hole in my brain.

============================================================

Other than Twilight and her friend, or rather, student stopping by to buy art supplies, it was a quiet day at the Pen & Quill. Ghost Writer sat sipping on his tea and going over a list of ponies he intended to invite to this month’s, “Equestria is a Stage” art showing and poetry reading. Most unicorns with an agenda like this, wouldn’t even bother with a small backwater place like Ponyville. But Ghost Writer felt that there was talent here. A rough, raw talent that he had watched since he was a foal. He had little else to do as the foal of a single father.

The last name on the list caused him to sigh wistfully. Heartbreak. For whatever reason in their brief encounter, the icy blue eyed earth pony had been occupying his thoughts. There was something enchanting about her, something odd really. He wasn’t sure what it was. Everything about her screamed, ‘ordinary earth pony,’ And while that seemed a bit racist, he was sure that she was anything but. Sure, she had a tan coat, and dark brown mane. But her body language and pose betrayed a complex and struggling pained artist that was just dying to come out. “And with a name like, ‘Heartbreak,’ and a mark like that, she has to have a story behind her.

He sipped his now cold tea. The thought of that cutie mark passed through his head. He had caught what he tried to pass off as a casual glance at her flank as she walked away. His eyes darted to his flank, there a simple quill and parchment were emblazoned. But in his almost too long of a glance, he had explored the dark shape on Heartbreak’s flank. That blackened broken heart of darkness, as it were, was placed ever so neatly on her rather pleasant looking...flank. A blush passed over his cheeks, he coughed and nearly choked on his tea. Regaining his composure, a napkin floated to his mouth. “Calm yourself, Ghost Writer. It was just a cutie mark.

Maybe that was what was really drawing him to thinking about her. She was a mystery. “What events could cause a pony to take a name such as, ‘Heartbreak?’ Surely, she should have known what jokes and jests she would have to endure. What events would even result in such a mark for that matter? “ His thoughts were interrupted as he heard the hoof beats of a familiar unicorn and the voice of her dragon assistant. He smiled.

“Hello, Ghost Writer,” Twilight said from over the counter.

“Twice in one day?” Ghost Writer asked, smiling a thin smile. “You’re not out of art supplies already, are you?”

“Actually, I need to pick up some more erasers,” Twilight replied. Spike elbowed her in the side looking at her with a disapproving glare. “And we need to talk.”

“Oh?” Ghost Writer replied. His face changed to a mix of confusion and fear. ‘We need to talk’ where words that his live in nurse, Jenny had used to break to him that his father had a tragic accident. “What about?”

“Heartbreak..” Twilight replied.

============================================================

I double check to make sure I have everything. “Yupyupyupyup! Igot everythingI need forthis. Pencils,diragrams,andofcourse...” I pick up the sippy cup with an almost unimpeded ease. “Youmy sweetsweet lovelything.” I am smiling so hard that it almost hurts my face. With another sip of tea, that pain ebbs away. My saddlebag sits atop me uncomfortably. With all the things I have figured out, you’d think by now I would have figured out how to put on the saddlebag. Oh well.

“Alright,Ihave beenupstairs again, dida selfportrate! Haveall thediagrams done, explainedPinkieSense! Andhave comeup withseveral newexplisives! Ithink itis timeto getmygreatest ideasout ofmyhead andintothereal world!” I walk to the door. Normally this thing would cause me quite the fuss, but for some reason, perhaps the tea, I figure it out quite easily. Funny thing is, as soon as the door is open, I just can’t quite remember how I opened it. Oh well.

Nearly skipping out of the door, I am once again greeted by the sun. “Ooooh,evildaystar, youshouldgo downfaster.” I am kicking myself over the thought of not letting Twilight buy me a hat. But really, it’s a matter of personal pride. I start walking into Ponyville with no clue as to where I am going. Well I almost have a clue, but I am not sure if this clue is fresh from the clue factory to you. Maybe I should get a clue bat from some other pony. Looking around, I haven’t a clue which pony would be the best pony to give me a smack with the cluebat. There were so many background characters that picking just one, let alone knowing all of their names off of the top of my head is almost impossible. Come to think about it, thinking is almost impossible with all of the thoughts coming into my head I wond- Oh! I have spotted a pair of ponies I know!

=============================================================

“Look Lyra, I’m just saying, it eats up a lot of your time and barely gives anything back.” Bon-Bon said, taking a sip of her drink. The two longtime friends were sitting the table of a local cafe.

“It so does give things back, Bon-Bon.” Lyra said rolling her eyes.

“Such as?” Bon-Bon asked.

“Such as a sense of community, of not being alone in my hobby and interests.” Lyra said defensively. “Some friendship.”

“Oh, how nice, I’m sure my friendship doesn’t mean anything then,” Bon-Bon said, rolling her eyes.

“Bon-Bon, don’t be like that.” Lyra put a hoof on Bon-Bon’s shoulder. “You are always going to be my number one special pony. You’re always there for me and I’m always there for you. It’s just that you have no interest in the H.L.C., and so I didn’t think to ask you to come.”

“Well, maybe I was just waiting for you to ask me,” Bon-Bon replied.

“Bon-Bon, it’s just a group of socially awkward ponies who have one particular interest in-” Lyra began, only to notice a strange pony nearly zipping up to their table.

“Hello!” she said in an almost too cheerful manner.

“Uhm, Hi,” Lyra replied. Bon-Bon nodded and gave a slight smile. There was a moment of extended silence as the pony smiled at the both of them in a rather too cheerful manner. “Not to be rude, but do you need something?”

The tan pony with the dark brown mane and sparkling blue eyes blinked as if she had to process the information. “Yes! Actually youcan, yousee, I’mnew to Ponyville, andI amin direneed of adentist! Youwouldn’t happentoknowwhere oneiswouldyou?” The mare’s face broke out in a rather over the top grin.

“You’re new to Ponyville?” Bon-Bon asked. “Wait, didn’t I see you earlier today? You were walking with Twilight Sparkle.”
Lyra looked over the strange mare. “Yeah, we waved at you and you didn’t wave back.”

“Ohright! I didn’tseeyou. Yousee, thesun iskinda hurtingmyeyes. Iworked nightsforthelongest time and..” She paused and looked at the two friends. She swallowed hard as if she was forcing something. “And. I. Am. Not. Used. To. The. Light.” She spat out.

“Oh, well that explains that.” Lyra offered her hoof in greeting. “My name is-”

“LyraHeartstrings!” The tan mare said quickly. “And you. Are. Bon-Bon.” The both of them blinked in confusion. “Oh,uhm, Twilighttoldme your. Names. After. Ifailed tosee you.”They blinked and nodded.

“Makes sense,” Bon-Bon replied. “I failed to catch your name, miss...?”

“Heartbreak! Andplease, don’tcall me,’miss’,” Heartbreak replied. “Just. Heart. Break.”

Bon-Bon chuckled a bit. Lyra looked at her friend. “Something funny?”

“Noooo, just Heartstrings and Heartbreak. You tug on strings and she breaks them.” Bon-Bon replied.

Lyra looked as if she was going to say something, but Heartbreak interruped. “Uhm,Excuse me, Bon-Bon, Butwhile Iamsure youfind muchamusement inheart relatedjokes, thoseofus whohave ‘heart’ inournames mightfind it,justatad old. Imean howmanytimes haveyou heardjokes involving candy?” Heartbreak asks, watching Bon-Bon’s expression. “Morethanenough Iam sure. Iamnot scoldingyou oranything, Ijust haveheard enough’sadheart’jokes or punsfor theday. Iamsureyouthought youwerebeingfunny, andIdon’twant tostartanything, Twilighthasbeen madenough at me asit is. Justafairword ofwarning.”

“I was just-” Bon-Bon begins.

“Iknow, tryingto be funny. But-” Heartbreak starts.

“Weren’t you looking for the dentist?” Lyra asked.

“Oooohyeah! Dentist, doyouknow where Ican findthem?” Heartbreak replied.

“Yeah, here. I’ll write down instructions on how to get there..” Lyra picked up a pencil off the paper with her magic and started to write on a piece of scrap paper.

“Thatwouldbe awesome! Thanks!” Heartbreak said beaming. “Ijust really...need...to get...to the dentist..” Suddenly, the pony’s mood just shifted and her eyes began to tear up.

Bon-Bon looked a bit concerned. “Are you alright? Do you really need to get there fast?” She bent forward. “You’re not in any pain are you?”

Lyra scrapped the scrap paper. If this pony was in real pain, it would be better that she gave her real instructions to the dentist instead of fake ‘getting-rid-of-you’ instructions. Bon-Bon looked over at Lyra and saw that she was writing down a different set of instructions.

Heartbreak’s eyes fluttered and she shook her head. She then reached back to her saddle back, and clumsily rooted around it in. When she was done she had a sipping cup. She slipped her hoof into it and took a couple of sips of whatever was in the cup. She opened her eyes and looked at the two of them. “Nope, Just thirsty!”

As her eyes opened, Lyra swore she saw a bright flash of colours twitch across the mare’s eyes. An arc of static electric rainbows. The mare looked down at the real instructions on how to get to the dentist’s office. She picked up the paper in her mouth and slipped it into her saddlebag. “Ooo! Thanks!Itwasnicemeeting youLyra!Bon-Bon! You bothhaveaniceday!” She said, putting the cup back into her saddlebag. She then proceeded to trot off towards the dentist’s office.

“Did you see that?” Lyra asked.

“Yeah, you almost gave a pony who might be in serious tooth pain false directions.” Bon-Bon grouched.

“No, that thing that happened with her eyes?” Lyra replied.

“I didn’t see that, just you trying to get rid of her.” Bon-Bon said frowning.

“Ugh, whatever, I’m sure it wasn’t anything important,” Lyra sipped some of her drink. “Still, what a weird pony.” Bon-Bon gave Lyra a funny look. “What?”

“Like you’re one to talk, Heartstrings.” Bon-Bon rolled her eyes.

============================================================

What a stroke of luck! Which is better than an actual stroke. Those are bad. But the tea is good. Tea is what will cure your ills, that’s for sure. I wonder why I almost lost my composure back there. I know I was worried over something, what was it? Oh yes, first impressions. I didn’t want them to think I was a mean pony or a pony version of Gilda, or something. I am not sure right now. All I know is that I need to find the dentist’s office. They can help me with what I need. I turn down the street that Lyra put down in her instructions. I am almost instantly greeted by rows of different offices that are meant to meet the different medical needs of ponies.

“Huh,you’dthinkthat theywouldjust beinthe hospital,” I pull my tea out of my saddlebag again and take a sip. “Butthenagain, Hospitalmustbefor Seriousmedical Emergencies.” Each office has a different brightly coloured sign signifying what they do. It doesn’t take me long to spot the giant white tooth. Smiling, I walk into the Dentists’ office.

Entering, I see the general front area, normally where there would be a receptionist a sign hangs reading ‘Out to Lunch’. I frown and look at the clock on the wall, it is about 12:47. “Oh,well,they’regoingto bebacksoon!” I slip out of my saddlebags. Without Twilight to help me tighten them they are a little loose. “Oh,lookat that! Tea Time!” I said retrieving my sipping cup. After a quick sip, I feel like myself again. I look down the hallway that leads to the back where patients get their teeth drilled. I look at my hoof and then back at the hallway. “I’msurethedentistwon’tmind ifIwaitforhimor herintheproperchair!”