• Published 18th Sep 2014
  • 4,314 Views, 78 Comments

Stranger to Light - Cromegas_Flare



It's been a long time since Twilight Sparkle went missing. Now she is found, but what can her friends do if they can't even recognize the friend that brought them all together from the beginning?

  • ...
15
 78
 4,314

Stranger than Light

"Blasphemy." It's what many say when they hear the story of one who forgot their soul. Saying things like, it's impossible or utterly incomprehensible and any who claim such a thing is within realms of insanity. They are right, anypony who can claim that they themselves have forgotten their soul is in the realm of insanity, but impossible is far from the truth.

Years had passed since Twilight Sparkle had gone missing. Many had speculated that she was kidnapped, some thought she couldn't take her new role as princess and ran away. Others had theorized that she was kidnapped by changelings in revenge to what happened at her brother's wedding.

Now, along a lakeshore, Spike finds Twilight unconscious and cold.


~Dear Princess Celestia,


We found her!

Sincerely

~Spike


~Dear Princess Celestia,

I am afraid something's happened to Twilight. We placed her on the bed like you asked to let her sleep. Roughly ten minutes after you left, she woke up. Now she's looking at the wall, completely ignoring everyone. She won’t speak to anypony. I don't know what’s wrong.

~Spike.


~Dear Princess Celestia,

I'm so sorry I was gone when you arrived again, and I had no idea what happened until I returned to the library. Did she really scream at you? Like you were some sort of scary monster trying to attack her? I mean, I know this is a hard question, and you don't have to answer them because I can take my friends’ word on what happened, so it's alright if you don't answer. I'm just very shocked because I never thought Twilight capable of doing such a thing.

I did fix up the house, and I was able to get some other friends to help out and clean her beautiful home. We will keep you updated on how Twilight is doing as time goes by. If any changes are made, I will let you know, that is if it's ok with you. As of right now, she's in the same place as before, just sitting up on her bed staring at the wall, she's not even taken a bite to eat yet. I'm worried for her, but I'm sure we can do all that we can to help her.

~Fluttershy


~Dear Princess Celestia,

It's been a whole day since we found her, and she still won't eat or drink anything! Pinkie Pie had baked some stuff for her, but she completely ignored them. Seriously, who does that!? Ignoring Pinkie’s desserts is like refusing a free Wonderbolts ticket. All she does all day and all night is stare at that dumb wall, and it's starting to creep me out. I actually miss her egghead lectures... and her voice. Please, don't tell anyone I said that. Now, I'm going out for some fresh air.

~Rainbow Dash


~Dear Princess Celestia,

I've been watching Twilight a while now, and to be honest, absolutely nothing has changed. We all wave our hooves in front of her and talk to her, and we still get no response from that, it's like she's gone blind. I can't explain it, because the doc says that her eyes are just fine, and nothing’s physically wrong with her. I don't know what to think, but she just sits on her bed, letting her tail droop down the sidings, just staring straight ahead, like she's trying to look right through the wall. Like she's blind to the world or something. I reckon there's a proper word for that, I really don't know, but all I can do is describe it the best I know.

There is some good news, or at least I think it is. She doesn't look upset or nothing, just deep in thought. I look into her eyes, and I can see her brain going. I notice this because Big Mac gets the same look at times. I might bring Big Mac around to take a look, see what he thinks, you know?

Sincerely,

~Applejack


~Dear Princess Celestia,

Eeyup, what my sis said.

~Big Macintosh


~Dear Princess Celestia,

Twilight spoke today, she actually spoke! It was odd because we really didn't notice until after the fact. We were all sitting down, playing cards with each other, and having a grand time. I personally believe it was quite childish, but since it was Pinkie's idea to help us all stick together, I humored the darling. Anyway, we were sitting there and I was about to ask Rainbow Dash if she had an angelfish, Suddenly, she talked!

"Water."

Her voice sounded dry, which didn’t surprise me, my beautiful voice would also be raspy if I went that long without a decent drink of water.

It took everypony a bit to notice who had spoken, but it was Twilight asking for water. The others started to talk to Twilight while I got the poor dear a glass of water, and though she didn’t speak again, we were thankfully able to get her to drink something.

I do have to let you know that she didn’t drink the water on her own. She didn't even move a muscle other than her lips. We had to put the glass up to her mouth and do all that nursing stuff for her. At least I can say we've made progress.

Best Regards,

~Rarity


~Dear Princess Celestia,

~

~Twilight Sparkle


~Dear Princess Celestia,

I'm sorry about that, I got bored and wanted to see if Twilight wanted to write you a letter. So I started it out and put a pen in her mouth. She spit it out and it made a scratch on the letter, so I sent it to you. At least it's something right? I’m so proud of her!

~Pinkie Pie


~Dear Princess Celestia,

Yesterday, she asked for water, she did so again today. This time she also asked for some food, but she was rather specific as to what she wanted. I’d say this is a good thing, even though I'm not a fan of hay fries since they are absolutely horrible for my diet, at least she knows what she wants. Now that I think about it though, her saying "hay fries," and "water," could count on the same level of specifics.

The good news is that she is at least eating. She still won't say anything else, and her eyes are still glued to the wall. I wish I knew how to help. Perhaps if we made her a mural, she’d react...

The psychiatrist came again today, and he suggested that we put her in the mental ward. That way we could get on with our lives and let professionals take care of her. He also mentioned that doctors could examine her more there than having them make house calls.

He told all of us that she should have been at the ward months ago, when we first found her in the lake. He said we were being irresponsible by keeping her here and taking care of her ourselves. I’ve never been so insulted in my life! She is our friend, and we have been nothing but dedicated in our care for her!

But… I'm afraid he may be right. Maybe we should have her go to the hospital. It would help her more than we can.

~Rarity


~Dear Princess Celestia,

We all just got Twilight settled in the ward, and like usual, she didn't even react to the change. We moved in some books and bookshelves to help her feel at home, but I doubt that would have made a lick of difference. To be honest though, I don't think we brought any of her books for her benefit, but for ours alone.

I think we all want to remember Twilight for who she was, and books were a big part of that. She was smart, kind, intelligent, and brave. It was because of those books that we were able to do all that we were able. It's because of this, that I am writing this letter to you. I want to remember Twilight in that manner, and I’ve got plenty of chores to do on the farm still. I bet it might be best for me to go back and concentrate on this season’s harvest.

Don't you get me wrong though, I'm not abandoning Twilight, I just have some other obligations that won't allow me to be at her side that often. I just don't feel right staying here, doing nothing when I can do something that Twilight would want me to do. Besides, I can’t let my family down. Can’t let Big Mac do all the work, now can I?

My point, Princess, is that I'm gonna to get on with my life, the way Twilight would want me to. And when she wakes up to who I remember her as, I'll tell her I kept on moving, doing my part.

Sincerely for the last time,

~Applejack


Dear Princess Celestia,

I can’t take this anymore! Twilight HAS to smile, and stop looking so doomy-gloomy. I had Maud come over to visit today, and even she saw the sadness in Twilight. Of course, Maud is really, really sensitive to these types of things, so when she says Twilight is sad, then Twilight is sadder then the saddest thing in the universe.

I can’t let Twilight stay sad, so I, Pinkie Pie, Pinkie promise to get Twilight to smile, even if it’s the last thing I do.

Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.

~Pinkie Pie


Dear Princess Celestia,

I was sitting at home today, when Angel bunny suggested to bring some of our little critter friends to visit Twilight. I don’t know what I was suspecting, and I guess I shouldn't be too disappointed. I guess I was hoping that the love from my animals would help pull Twilight out of it. It hurts still, even if I shouldn't be surprised, it’s still hard to accept. Oh… she just looks so sad.

We're doing as you had suggested and are waiting for time to take its course. It'll be hard, but I’ll stay here for as long as I can, possibly even help out some of the other patients around here as well.

~Fluttershy


Dear Princess Celestia,

I must say, today was an eventful day. We at least got Twilight to react in some way other than just asking for food or water. Though, I don’t approve of how this happened, or even the outcome. Still though, it might be progress.

This morning, Rainbow Dash walked in to Twilight's suite, and you know Rainbow Dash, if she gets worked up about something, she can get a smidge hostile. Well, Rainbow went into Twilight’s room shouting at her to at least make something of her situation. She yelled for a few minutes, and all Applejack and I could do was watch. Both of us were secretly hoping that what Rainbow Dash was doing could help.

After she figured out that it wasn’t working, Rainbow Dash got tired at yelling and went physical. She smacked Twilight on the cheek with her hoof like an absolute brute! What happened after that though, is why I’m writing to you.

Once she got smacked, her head turned to face Rainbow Dash, locking her eyes on her dear loyal friend. That was the first time Twilight ever acknowledged anyone aside from you. After that though, Twilight would only look at Rainbow Dash, no one else. It’s as if when Rainbow enters the room, all eyes go to her and only her.

Once Rainbow leaves the room though, her eyes go back to the wall. Everything goes back to how things were. So, I’m hoping this is progress and not the same sort of negative reaction similar to what happens when you show up. But all we can do is hope.

~Rarity


Dear Princess Celestia,

I shouldn't have hit Twilight the way I did. Now, it’s been a few weeks since I did that, and whenever I enter the room, all she does is stare at me! I wouldn't have a problem with it, if it weren't the only thing she did whenever I go into the room. She just stares at me, it’s like I’m the only one in the room with her, and I’m interrupting whatever world she is in. It’s starting to creep me out.

I don't know, I really can’t take much more of this, I know I can’t just abandon Twilight. But I can’t stay at her side either, not when she's like this anyway. So I’ll do what I can to visit her, but as long as she stares at me, I can't stick around. I wonder what Daring Do would do… What would a Wonderbolt do?

I won’t abandon Twilight though, I can't ever bring myself to do that. So I’ll do what Applejack does, just pop in every now and then. See if she’s being taken care of, then be on my way. It’s probably for the best. It's probably what Twilight would want as well.

So, I'm going out to continue to be the best flyer in Equestria.

Best wishes,

~Rainbow Dash


Dear Princess Celestia,

I know it’s been a really, really, really long time since we last updated you on how Twilight was doing. What was it? Like seven years? It’s been easier actually since you’ve been stopping by to talk to us personally. I just wish you could enter the room with us, but you know the way Twilight is… always going into some sort of attack mode.

Anyway, Rainbow Dash and Applejack have visited a few times since your last visit. No big deal and no change there. It’s still as hard on them as it is on us, and it’s hard for me to watch them leave with tears in their eyes. But at least I know they still care lots and lots, and that counts for something.

I threw a super-duper surprise party for Twilight yesterday too! It was really fun, because Fluttershy who now works in the care center, rolled in some of her neighbors and we had cake, and food, and fun… Yeah, good times. I just wish Twilight was here to enjoy it. Well, I mean she’s here and all, but I mean the Twilight I know and love.

I wish I knew what happened to her, but while Rarity’s been looking into some more research on magic, she hasn’t found anything. I bet Rarity’s looked through every single magic book in the whole library!

I’ll still find a way to make her smile though. I have a promise to keep!

~Pinkie Pie


Dear Princess Celestia,

I have some good news, and well some bad news. Let me start with the bad news so we can get that out of our manes.

I won’t be able to visit Twilight as often anymore. I’ll still visit her, and attend the large events. But I still have a business to run, and I need to move on with my life, and that brings me to the good news.

I have been chosen to be the fashion director for an high end company in Canterlot. This means that we’ll practically be neighbors, and if you ever need company to visit Twilight later down the road, I’m here to assist you.

So here is my last update on Twilight.

Yesterday, I was talking to her about the move and told her that I’d be out of town for a while. I hope this wasn’t just an accident, but a conscious response, though I doubt it. Twilight opened her mouth and asked for water like usual. I complied and used my magic to let her drink, and as I was doing so, I noticed a tear dripping down her cheek. I just hope one day, she comes to. Life has certainly gotten much more… dreary without her.

Hoping to see you soon,

~Rarity


Dear Princess Celestia,

It was six years ago since he passed, but I remember one of the things Angel told me. He was a persistent one, that sly cute little bunny, but he was right all along. He told me that I should make myself available to Twilight as often as I can. Working here at the care center has helped me with that. Now, after seven years, I'm the head nurse for this hospital. It’s a big, big responsibility, but I’m glad I can be so helpful to everypony.

Twilight is about the same as she was a few years ago, around the time when Rarity left. Oh, of course, you knew that because I see you about once a month now.

Applejack isn't doing too well. She's old, and I don’t think she has the same genes her granny had. At least she's spending her final days in the same room as Twilight, but she’s slipping. Her health isn't in the greatest of shape any more. If you could come down, and give some comfort to us, and inform Rarity, I would be ever so grateful.

I just wish I knew… what happened to us?

~Fluttershy


Dear Princess Celestia,

I see you like every day, I know. But I’m dying inside about this. One of the younger nurses accidentally dropped some soap into Twilight's water, and when Twilight tasted it, she spit all the water on the nurse. It had me laughing so hard. I know it was bad to laugh, but I couldn’t help myself. It was almost like old-Twilight was back, even though I knew she wasn’t.

I then got this crazy idea to have one last party with Twilight before I die. You know, go out with a bang! One like what we did for Applejack, Fluttershy, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash. I want to host it, but I feel so tired, like I haven’t had enough sugar. So, could you do this one last favor for me, Princess? For Twilight?

Could you host my final party?

~Pinkie Pie


Dear Princess Celestia,

What happened? Where am I? The nurses look at me like I’m some sort of… special case. I honestly have no idea what is going on. I only just got enough strength to write, but the attendants here have told me that you were on your way. I can’t speak, so I’m writing this for when you get here.

Where are my friends? I would think they would be here, but no one will tell me what happened. I try to keep my eyes open, but the light is hurting me. It’s like fire, searing its way into my head. I don’t know what’s going on, so I’d like to have you around, for a while.

Eagerly waiting your response,

~Twilight SparkleI'll work on it, but I'd rather keep it simple at this point.

Remember, she's abrasive and doesn't focus much on details. Rainbow is confrontational and quick to place blame on things. I did like your use of exclamations though.

I'd suggest adding a "countryism" as AJ puts it.

I honestly don't know very many country isms.

Author's Note:

Helpers
I'm still editing this chapter as I go, but so far, all I have left to improve are Rarity's and Pinkie Pie's letters.

Hope you enjoy, Mr. Flare

Oh, and some special thanks to Rinnaul for critical input in changes that needed to be made, and to Kestrel , for helping me with a healthy dose of editing, and for reinforcing the voices of all the characters.