• Published 19th Jul 2014
  • 9,694 Views, 557 Comments

Prominence - TheOldPonyFromScene24



Twilight has agreed to host Princess Celestia for a three month vacation. When she meets her disguised form, she sees her teacher in a whole new light.

  • ...
32
 557
 9,694

Catching Up

“I understand now,” Celestia said aloud in her dream immediately after falling asleep, a soft smile on her face. “She loves me.”

Luna faded into existence beside her, a large grin on her face. She threw her hooves around her sister, pulling her into a tight embrace. “I'm so happy for you! Am I correct to assume that you two have begun your courtship?”

“Well, I didn't turn her down, but we're going to wait until my vacation ends to do anything.”

“You're making her wait that long?” Luna's face contorted in disappointment.

“I'm making us both wait that long.” Celestia replied, walking along a cobblestone path through the garden of their old palace. Luna eyed her for a moment. “Something the matter?”

“I'm sorry, it's not that I'm not excited by your news, but I'm curious, why do you always dream of this place? You made no secret of what triggered your nightmare last night.”

“...To be perfectly honest, I suppose I don't need to anymore. This was sort of a happy place, if you will, to see me through the hard times. During your banishment, I could hold myself together with the knowledge that, when I fell asleep, I'd be able to come back to our old home, and you'd be there waiting.”

“A dream would be there waiting.” Luna corrected.

“That dream was all I had.” Celestia stared down at the cobblestones in thought, their patterns trying to adhere to her memory, but so vague was her recollection of the minor detail that they shifted every time she blinked. “I'm sorry. I shouldn't marginalize the ordeal of your banishment by whining about how it made me feel.”

“I always knew it must have hurt you.” Luna replied, moving closer to her sister, nuzzling her softly in hopes of comforting her. “I had guessed that this was why you didn't want to discuss it in depth. But it's not just me, is it? You knew I was going through worse, so you didn't talk to anyone about how it made you feel for a thousand years, because you felt like you were making it about yourself. You can't hold something inside like that, Celestia. It's not healthy.”

“Sometimes,” Celestia said, looking up into her sister's eyes, a sad smile on her face, “I feel that we know each other much too well for my liking.”

“It doesn't have to be me. It doesn't have to be now. But, please, find someone to talk to about how it made you feel. Maybe Cadance? Twilight? A therapist?”

“A therapist? Luna, we have to be the strength for the nation. We can't appear to have weaknesses. Our ponies won't trust us.”

“For all that the times had changed, I was so happy that you had changed so little with them. When I came home, you were still the big sister I remembered. But that's working against you, now. They're more accepting than they once were. After all, my attendance of therapy has been a matter of public record, which I have never shied away from. No one has, to my knowledge, spoken against me for it.”

Celestia stared at her for a moment, deep in thought. “I didn't know you were in therapy.”

“You didn't? I know I never brought it up, but--” Luna froze, wide eyed, her jaw hanging open.

“Luna? Luna, what's wrong?” Celestia asked, a strong edge of concern in her voice.

“Can you tell Twilight something tomorrow? I'd tell her right now, but her dreams have far too much momentum behind them to allow for my interference.”

“Certainly. What do you wish me to relay?”

“Just tell her the truth. You are not as flexible as her subconscious seems to think.”

“...Could you please elaborate?” Celestia asked, her mouth hanging open slightly.

“Absolutely not. That would be a breach of confidentiality.”

“...You're just teasing me, aren't you?” Celestia asked, closing her eyes and rubbing her hoof on her forehead.

“Just because I'm teasing you doesn't mean I'm just teasing you.”

Celestia sighed, rolling her eyes, but paused and stared at her sister for a moment. “Do you really want me to tell her that?” She asked, raising an eyebrow. Luna nodded in response.


“Stop it right now! Right this instant! Ponies do not bend that way!” Luna shouted over the moans in Twilight's bedroom at the Golden Oak Library. “I told Celestia on you!” She ground her teeth in frustration, then paused and stared. “...”


“Where in Equestria did she learn that?!” She asked, her cheeks burning red.

“What? Luna, what did she learn?” Celestia asked, half way between concern and curiosity.

“...I can't. It's not right to give out those details without her permission.”

“You know, sometimes, you can be a very cruel mare.”

Luna thought for a moment about this accusation before giving her sister a devious smirk. “Little bit.”


Twilight awoke with a long stretch, a powerful yawn, and a glare at her alarm clock. She shut it off with a flick of her magic, rolled out of bed, and headed to the bathroom to splash water in her face. Feeling a bit more awake and refreshed, she quickly drank down a glass of water, and left her bedroom, following the twisting maze of corridors, her hooves remembering her path and guiding her along it.

She opened a door and walked inside, a tired smile on her face. “Good morning, Discord.”

“Good morning, Twilight! How are you?”

“Good! There's been some, uh, developments with Prominence. Positive ones.” She accepted a sweatband from Discord and stretched it over her head. She then went on to explain the hectic developments of the last two days as they entered the racquetball court.

“They all know?” Discord asked, serving the ball, which let out a shriek of anger (but not pain. Twilight made him promise on their very first game that these little monsters could never actually get hurt).

“They all know.” She affirmed, returning the serve.

“And now you're just waiting for her vacation to be over to be able to actually do anything.” Discord summed up, continuing the volley.

“That's about the size of it.” She spoke loudly, trying to be heard over the indignant screams of the ball.

“Think you'll make it?”

“Of course we will.” She began to think about his question, and, in her moment of distraction, she completely missed the ball as it whipped past her and collided with Discord's face. “Do you think we won't?”

Discord pried the writhing mass of tentacles off of his face with a wet shhhllllluck, and turned toward Twilight. “It's hard to resist something you really want when it's right there in front of you.”

“...I've got plenty to keep me busy. Especially today. It's Rarity's turn to bring the entertainment to court.”


Celestia wanted to relay her sister's message. She truly did. She wanted to let Twilight know that she, herself, was not that flexible, but the time just wasn't right for it. Twilight had her game with Discord right after waking up, then Spike was present for all of breakfast, and court began soon after. She had no privacy to tell Twilight about her flexibility or lack thereof. Of course, this was no longer an entirely relevant detail to Celestia.

The more pressing matter was why they weren't playing board games. It seemed the entertainment changed as the responsibility to provide it rotated through the group, and where Rainbow had brought cards and boardgames during Prominence's second time in court, and Pinkie just brought board games on the first, Rarity's choice was a little more...involved.

“Back stab, back stab!” Pinkie giggled, making a thrusting motion with her hoof.

“Pinkie, unless you figure out some other plan of attack, you'll be almost completely ineffective this whole fight!” Rarity noted from behind a screen. “You know full well that skeletons have damage reduction against slashing weapons! Your dagger is not helping!”

“At least I'm flanking them!” Pinkie replied, rolling a die.

“My turn?” Twilight asked, once the damage of Pinkie's stabbing was calculated and found to be negated. Rarity nodded to her. “I smash a chair over the skeleton's back.”

“Wait, where did you get a chair?” Applejack asked.

“Well, Rarity said it was a dining hall. The skeletons weren't just sitting on the floor around the table when we walked in, were they?”

“That they were not. Roll to hit.” Rarity instructed. Once the last of the skeletons had been bashed apart, Twilight sat back with a sigh of relief, the intense battle having finally come to an end. It was around this time that she realized she was being stared at.

“Something wrong, Prominence?” She asked, feeling a little bashful under her scrutiny.

“I'm just surprised you're playing a Diamond Dog barbarian, and not, say, a unicorn wizard.”

“W-Wouldn't that be a little redundant?” Twilight asked, looking away as a blush colored her cheeks. “Besides, I like Lucky. He...He has a good life. There's things to smash, and friends to smash things with.” Twilight smiled down at her character sheet.

“I suppose that's why Fluttershy's a bard instead of a druid? Communing with nature and working with animals would be redundant?”

“Actually, that's cuz she wants practice singing in front of ponies.” Rainbow explained, before jamming a hoof-full of salty snacks into her mouth. “And flirting,” she added.

“Rainbow. Swallow, then speak.” Rarity instructed. “Now, Fluttershy--” Rarity turned to find her friend's seat empty. She sighed, looking under the table to find an embarrassed pegasus hiding her face behind her hooves. “Come out of there, darling. The fight's over, I'm ready and able to shift focus to you and Applejack for a bit.” She sat back up in her seat.

“What about me and Spike?” Rainbow demanded, not mentioning how oddly quiet the dragon had been today.

“You should've thought about that before your brilliant plan to split the party off into pairs and make my job three times as difficult. I promise we'll get to you today, we've got another seven hours or so, minus breaks...” She frowned. “If you want, Cel--” She froze, catching herself, as the whole table stared at her with wide eyes. “Prominence, during the next break, I can try and write up a sheet for one of the NPCs for you to play this session.”

“It's fine, Rarity. I'd rather work out my own character, if I'm going to play at all.”

“Alright. We can work on that together, if you like. And I'll set up some easy solo adventures to run with you until you're up to everyone else's level. We should be able to get you in by the next game session."

“You couldn't just make my character the same level from the start?”

Rarity gasped in horror at the very notion of what Prominence was suggesting.“I'm not going to just give you a hoof-out and let you gloss over several levels of adventuring that could add so much to your character development!”

“Oh, um...I'm sorry for suggesting it?”

“I should hope you would be!”

Even as she was scolded, Prominence had trouble keeping a smile off of her face. They treated her like Prominence even now, and gave her no special treatment beyond what one would normally give a friend. Well, if you ignored all the staring they did when they thought she wasn't looking. Rarity's slip up aside, it was almost as if none of them knew she was Celestia. Except maybe Spike. She kept catching him glaring at her. Unlike the others, he didn't seem to care if he was caught. If anypony else noticed, they weren't saying anything, though it was likely they were just caught up in the game.

Without warning, the doors of the throne room burst open, a billowing cloud of smoke flooding into the chamber. An intruder stood, obscured by the shroud that preceded their entry. “Your majesty,” Bellowed a familiar female voice, “You are very fortunate! For your court has the honor of being visited by none other than...” with a wisp of magic, the cloud parted to reveal a familiar blue mare. “THE GREAT AND POWERFUL—Twilight? You're the owner of this castle!?”

“Hi, Trixie!” Twilight said cheerfully, waving. The rest of the table seemed far less enthusiastic. “It's great to see you!”

“Of course it is. It's always great to see Trixie, Trixie is great. And powerful. But you are the ruler of this palace? And an alicorn as well?” Twilight nodded, just a little sheepish. “I see...Trixie's information was clearly incomplete.”

“Well, it shouldn't matter, should it? You came here for a reason without knowing who lived here. What was it? Maybe I can still help you with whatever brought you here.” Trixie scoffed at Twilight's offer.

“Trixie...highly doubts that the mighty Twilight Sparkle has any need for a court wizard.”

“Well, I guess that's true. I can take care my own magic needs.”

“Then Trixie will take her leave,” She announced, turning to walk out the door. She hesitated as she began to leave, and looked back over her shoulder. “Trixie doesn't suppose there's any other position she might fill in your palace? If not as a magician, Trixie would still be happy to entertain as a jester. What about a maid? Herald? Cook?”

“Sorry, but I'm kind of actively avoiding having any servants until I can't get away with it anymore. So far, things don't usually get busy enough around here that Spike and I can't just take care of ourselves. But if you leave some contact information, I'd be happy to let you know if I have any open--” Twilight was cut off as a sheet of paper floated up to her face. Copies of the same paper made their way to each of her friends.

Trixie paused as she levitated her information to Prominence. “...Trixie does not know this one.”

Prominence just stared, dumbstruck at the entirety of what had been taking place before her. Twilight decided to answer on her behalf.

“This is Prominence. She's an aide to Celestia, here on vacation.”

Trixie stared at Prominence for a long moment, slowly narrowing her eyes. The glow around the sheet offered to Prominence intensified. Where there had once been a single sheet, there were now ten. “In case you need extras,” she explained. “Trixie would relish the opportunity to perform for the princesses in Canterlot.”

The aura around the papers shifted as Prominence accepted them into her magic, still unable to fully comprehend just what the deal was with this strange blue pony.

“And now, the Great and Powerful Trixie must continue to seek opportunities elsewhere!” With a flash of her horn, a blinding light enveloped her, and was gone. Though the sound of hoofbeats could be heard rushing down the hallway.

“Are all your visitors so crazy?” Prominence finally managed. Everypony gave her a questioning look.

“Whatever do you mean?” Rarity asked.

“Well, my first day at court here, a musclebound pegasus burst in, demanding to be made more muscular. Today, some blue mare explodes into the room in a cloud of smoke, hoping to be a court magician. And last week, there were those two stallions in the striped shirts! They just walked in, Applejack started glaring at them, and they slowly backed out of the throne room!”

“I, uh, I got some history with Flim and Flam...” Applejack explained, a little embarrassed, as she adjusted her stetson.

“And, really, Bulk's visit was a blessing. I never knew how much potential lycra had until I started working with it.” Rarity said, very pleased with herself.

Prominence just sighed. “Nevermind. Just, just get back to the game.” She quietly looked over the papers sitting on the table in front of her.

At the end of the day, they found a place to end their game, packed away their dice and papers, and court was adjourned.

Prominence headed for her room, moving at a relaxed clip. Twilight said she had some things to go over, and that meant some alone time to unwind after a long day of watching her friends play games and pretend not to stare at her.

She paused and listened, thinking she heard something. At the moment she stopped walking, she clearly heard the sound of footsteps behind her. They stopped suddenly, and she turned around to see Spike standing there. For a fleeting second, he looked embarrassed that he'd been caught. Now, though, he just looked angry and upset.

“...Hi, Spike,” She said carefully, unsure of what had him so cross.

“Hi.” There was a clear bitterness to his voice. She eyed him with worry for a moment.

“I'd like to talk to you in private. Would that be OK?” She asked, frowning a little. He looked a little surprised, perhaps having wanted the same thing.

“...Fine,” he replied, trying a little too hard to be standoffish.

She lead him to her room, and soundproofed it. After she did, she paused for a moment to consider that she might be overly paranoid. She sat down on the bed and smiled softly at him. “Spike, if this is about me upsetting Twilight--”

“You lied to me,” he snapped.

“I beg your pardon?”

“I've known you my whole life. You were there the day I hatched. I trust you, Celestia, but you've been lying to me this whole time. Why couldn't you trust me?” Tears were beginning to form in his eyes, and there was no mistaking the anger in his voice.

Celestia stared at him for a moment, at a loss for words. While she understood the nature of his grievance, his inference wasn't entirely accurate. “Spike, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that I didn't trust you. I do. I just wanted to keep the number of ponies who knew my secret to a minimum.”

“Yeah. Right.” He scoffed, crossing his arms and looking away.

“I swear to you, it's the truth. Honestly, if I hadn't thought it entirely necessary to tell Twilight, I wouldn't have.” She paused a moment as she let that scenario tumble through her mind. “And what a mess that would've made...I'm sure yesterday would've been much more painful for both of us if she'd only just found out that I was Celestia.”

“Wait, why wouldn't you tell her?” Spike asked, thoroughly confused.

She took a deep breath as she tried to think of how to explain, and realized just how much information needed to be given. “I suppose I should speak to the girls as well. There's a lot that Twilight knows that I should share with all of you, if you're going to know my identity.”

“Like what?” The anger was gone from his voice, replaced with curiosity and the slightest hint of concern.

Celestia closed her eyes and took a slow breath. “Spike, I'm sorry. I will tell you, I promise. But you've helped me realize that I owe that explanation to not only you, but all of the girls, as well. I'd like to get all of it done at once, if you're willing to be patient.”

Spike sighed, frustration plain on his face. “I guess.”

“Thank you, Spike. I really do appreciate it.”

“Yeah, yeah...I gotta go get started on dinner anyway.” He walked out the door, leaving Celestia to her thoughts. Thoughts which he immediately interrupted, sticking his head in the door. “I am still mad about you upsetting Twilight, though.” And with that, he was gone.

"Open minded and quick to forgive...if only more ponies were like you, Spike." Prominence sighed, looked around her room for a moment, put on the clothes she'd bought from Rarity early in her visit, and wandered the halls of the palace, a little unsure of what to do with herself. All she could think about was how much she wanted to spend time with Twilight.


Five ponies stood assembled in a barn, having agreed to meet up after court at Applejack's behest.

“I'm glad everypony could make it. I wanna thank all of you for comin'.”

“Of course, Applejack. What was it you wanted to speak with us about?” Rarity asked.

“The whole thing with Prominence. I mean, I trust Twilight and all, but it seems a little weird, doesn't it?”

“Well, perhaps, but who are we to speculate on the whims of royalty?” Rarity asked, smiling.

“What if she's a changeling?!” Pinkie demanded as she grabbed Applejack by the shoulders and shook her.

“But Pinkie, you're the one who said you already knew it was Celestia...” Fluttershy pointed out.

“Oh yeah.” She released Applejack suddenly, and the farmer yelped in surprise as she fell to the floor.

“How did you know about that, anyway?” Rainbow asked, staring suspiciously at her friend.

“Well, it all started when...” Pinkie's gaze slowly drifted toward the ceiling of the barn, and she stared silently for a few moments.

“...Darling, you do know we can't see your flashback, right?” Rarity's voice snapped Pinkie out of her reverie and back to reality.

“Oh, that's OK, Rarity, it's probably not how it really happened anyways.”

Applejack put her hoof to her forehead, and dragged it down her face with an exasperated groan. “Alright, I just wanna make sure, we all trust Twilight, right?” Her assembled friends nodded in agreement. “And we all trust that Prominence is who she says she is, and that she didn't trick Twilight?”

“I don't really know for sure, but it's hard to go wrong trusting Pinkie about this kind of thing,” Dash reasoned.

“Discord has seemed like he's been keeping something from me, and if anyone could tell, it would probably be him...” Fluttershy added.

“I see no reason to doubt her. As Dash pointed out yesterday, the excuse given for Celestia's absence isn't the most convincing. And, if we needed proof, I'm sure they'd be understanding enough to contact Princess Luna.” Rarity paused for a moment, before mumbling, “And it's so much like a fairy tale that I really really want to believe it.”

“Oh! Yes! We should totally call up Luna! We almost never get to hang out!” Pinkie squealed as she hopped out the door.

Applejack stared as Pinkie left without a goodbye. “...Well, I guess that means we're done here.” She turned back to the rest of her friends. “Thanks for comin', everypony. Glad we all know where we stand on this.”

“Do we?" Rarity asked, raising an eyebrow. "I don't believe you've told us how you feel about it.”

Applejack sighed as she reached up and rubbed the back of her neck. “I ain't the biggest fan of them lyin' about who she is, but I can see why they did it, and I'm not about to make a big fuss over something that ain't really even my business in the first place, long as it's not hurting anypony. And I don't think she'd be doin' it if it was hurtin' anypony. Princess Celestia knows better than that.”


“How could I be so stupid?” Celestia muttered, her face in a book, her eyes resting between the words. “Of course that would hurt Spike, and of course he deserved my trust on the matter! I've known him his whole life, he's more trustworthy than most of my court! I feel like such an idiot.” The more she had tried to distract herself from Twilight, the more she found herself thinking about the conversation with Spike, and the more she thought about the conversation, the guiltier she felt.

Twilight shifted uncomfortably in the doorway, having been unable to clearly decipher just what Celestia was saying, but figuring from her tone that she was very angry with the book, despite not having turned a page in the five minutes since Twilight had arrived. Twilight was confused, to say the least. None of the interesting characters even died until two books later. “Um, Prominence?”

“Dyah!” Her magic faltered and the book fell to the ground. “Twilight! How, um...How long have you been there?”

“Not long,” She lied, picking up the book off the floor, and placing it on a table. “Um, dinner's ready. Downstairs. Is something wrong?”

Prominence rose to her hooves, shaking her head. “Nothing that's not my own fault, but I'm sure I can handle it.”

Twilight gave her a small smile as she turned and headed out the bedroom door. “Well, if you need any help, be sure to let me know. That's, uh, that's what friends are for. Right?”

Prominence smiled at the offer, but shook her head. “I think I'll be—no, wait. Could you help me get everypony together sometime soon? I feel like I need to tell them all something.”

“Of course. Now, come on. I was waiting for you to start eating, but Spike was looking a little impatient. There might not be much left if we don't hurry.”

Prominence stared at her for a moment, then bolted out into the hallway. Twilight chuckled, and followed her to the dining room.

After a fantastic meal full of casual conversation, during which Spike seemed to be warming back up to Prominence, the young dragon cleared the table and went to do the dishes.

“...I have a message for you.” Prominence said, shifting nervously. “Princess Luna asked me to deliver it when she visited my dream last night.”

“Oh, yeah?” Twilight looked into Prominence's eyes. “What did she have to s--” She paused for a moment, and they both looked away, blushing slightly. Prominence cleared her throat.

“Um, well, she said to tell you that Celestia isn't that flexible. I believe it was relating to your dream. I, um, I honestly have no idea what it means. Do you?”

“...Y-yes. It's not important, though. Don't worry about it.”

Prominence pouted. It was a small pout, but she pouted all the same. Twilight felt her pulse speeding up at the sight of it. That wasn't fair at all.

“Can we talk in private?” In a flash of magic, they were teleported into another room. A wave of magenta washed over it to soundproof the room and put Celestia at ease, even though the only ponies likely to barge in anywhere in the castle were the ones who'd learned her secret.

“...Why, yes, Twilight, I would be happy to speak with you in private.” Celestia answered, an amused eyebrow raised.

“Sorry, sorry, I just, we, there's so much stuff we didn't discuss yet, and I'm having some reservations, and I'm anxious, and I'm having trouble holding that stuff in when my friends aren't around to help me feel relaxed and I've got nothing to distract myself. Are you this stressed out?”

“I'd love it if I was, to establish solidarity on the issue, but honestly, knowing that we have so much time between now and when we'll actually begin an official relationship is keeping me from pulling my mane out over it.”

“...But if there was less time, you would be pulling your mane out?”

“There'd be radiant, flowing, ethereal wisps all over the floor,” Celestia assured.

“Well, that's something.” She paused for a moment, her wings twitching slightly.

“You should learn to control that. It's not good for a political figure to have such an obvious tell when something is bothering her.” As Celestia spoke, Twilight locked her wings to her side in response. “What's bothering you?”

“Well, is it really OK that all my friends know now?”

“I won't say that it's not a little troubling, but it's for the best. After all, they knew how you felt about me, but I'm not going to be here as Prominence forever.”

“I guess that would've been hard to explain...” Once again, Twilight's wings began twitching.

“Um, I was wondering, they're the only ones who know, right? About how you feel about me?”

“W-well, Discord knows. I'm not sure how, though. And I went to Granny Smith for advice.” She paused and thought for a moment. “I wrote Cadance a letter, asking for advice when I first started...crushing.”

“So it's just those who know who I am now anyway...”

“Oh! And Fleur Dis Lee.”

Celestia stared at Twilight, dumbfounded. “You—I—the model? How do you even know her?!”

“I, uh, I met her at a Canterlot garden party. On my birthday. When Rarity was staying at the palace?” She shifted uncomfortably, unsure of why Celestia had reacted in such a manner. “Is that a problem?”

“Oh, no, of course not, I was just surprised.” She replied, calming down. “She's actually one of the nicer ponies I tend to encounter at high class functions. I'm surprised you told her how you felt about Prominence, though. Are you two close?”

“Not particularly. She was just sort of, uh...” Twilight sighed as she rubbed a hoof against her cheek. “Right place, right time.”

“And what place is the right place?”

“Carousel Boutique. Rarity was working on her wedding dress.”

“Fleur Dis Lee is getting married?!” Celestia's shouting caused Twilight to flinch.

“Uh, y-yeah, to Fancy Pants.” Twilight watched in confusion as Celestia repeated the name a few times, the expression on her face shifting to an odd mix of shock, delight, and jealousy. “That's, uh, that's an unusual response.”

The strange expression was replaced with one of embarrassment, and finally a serene smile. “I'm sorry, Twilight. That must've been a little disquieting.” She said, a familiar and disconcerting pleasantness to her voice as she retreated behind the same mask she wore as princess.

“No, no, it's okay!” Twilight replied hurriedly, eager to have Celestia remain herself. “I was just curious why you reacted that way.”

“I was...Well, I mean...He's a very handsome, kind gentlecolt.” She replied awkwardly, avoiding eye contact.

“...You had a crush on him?” Twilight asked. Celestia nodded, embarrassed.

“But, like every other crush I've ever had, nothing could come of it. I just kept reminding myself of that until the feelings passed. I...suppose I may have gotten a bit jealous. Also, very surprised. They've always been close, and particularly flirtatious with one another, but I'd heard nothing of an actual relationship between them.”

“Sooooo,” Twilight tapped her chin, looking up at the ceiling thoughtfully, “What you're saying is, you like mares and stallions?”

“Is that all you're taking away from this conversation?” Celestia asked with a chuckle. “That is indeed the case. And I believe it's the same for you? Spike mentioned someone from the other world.”

Twilight's eyes widened and she let out a nervous chuckle. 'Spike is in so much trouble.' “He told you about that?”

“Well, to be fair, I asked.” Celestia admitted. “During my first week here, I was trying to figure out what kept getting you so flustered. One of my earliest guesses was that you were hiding a boyfriend.”

“I...What?” Twilight stared in confusion and disbelief.

“You were acting odd, and I was trying to figure out why. Evidence seemed to suggest romantic feelings. I was just wrong about the nature of those feelings.” Celestia replied, matter-of-factly.

“I guess you have a point there, but me, with a stallion, that's, I, uh...” She giggled awkwardly. There was a short lull in conversation. “I really like that outfit on you?” She offered helplessly.

“...You know, I get the feeling that you're not entirely certain how to behave around me when we're alone.”

“That's putting it mildly.” Twilight said, lowering her head.

“Just act naturally. You've already won me over.” Celestia gave her a wink.

Twilight began stammering and blushing, before clearing her throat and looking away. “B-but what if 'awkward and stilted' is what comes naturally at a given point?” Celestia just chuckled as she turned to leave the room.

“That's not helpful at all,” whimpered Twilight.


A few days later, six ponies and a dragon sat and watched as Celestia nervously paced back and forth. As friendly and accommodating as the whole bunch was, patience was starting to wane among the group, as they'd been waiting for her to speak for a short while.

“What do you think she wants to tell us?” Pinkie whispered loudly into Applejack's ear.

“I don't know any better than I did last time you asked me,” The farmer spoke plainly.

“Oh! Okay.” Pinkie waited a few seconds before leaning over and repeating her question in Rainbow's ear, causing the pegasus to clench her eyes shut and rub her temples in exasperation.

Celestia sighed. She felt terrible for keeping them waiting, but this felt like the wrong thing to do. No, it was the right thing, she was just nervous. But, emotions serve to protect us, so if she's nervous about doing something, perhaps it'd be better if—Twilight had snuck up on her, and put a hoof on her shoulder.

“Are you OK?” She asked. She hadn't wanted to interfere, or to overstep the still unclear boundaries involved in delaying a relationship, but this had just gotten more and more painful to watch the longer she sat waiting with her friends.

Celestia stared at Twilight's face for a moment, then turned to Spike and took a deep breath. Then, she explained to everyone exactly why Prominence was necessary. She gave this group the same story that she'd given Twilight.

Spike suddenly felt horrible for having held her secrecy against her. Fluttershy felt overwhelmed by a burgeoning sense of kinship with her secretly introverted ruler. All in all, everyone, pony and dragon alike, was supportive, and offered her reassurances of their friendship once she'd finished her story. Except Twilight. It was her second time hearing the story, and for some reason something felt out of place, or missing. It was like she'd been reading an amazing story, and stumbled at the point where she could clearly see the editor meddling, forcing the author to put in a romantic angle to draw a wider audience, or forcing them to remove the death of a popular character. Something felt...smoothed over.

With Celestia emotionally exhausted from once again delving into her past, those who gathered to hear the story decided to give her some breathing room. But, before they dispersed, Pinkie Pie stepped forward, a completely natural smile on her face, and threw her forelegs around Celestia's neck.

“You don't need a disguise to know you can still make friends, silly. You just need to make 'em!” Without another word, she cheerfully hopped out the door.

All alone in the room with Twilight, emotionally exposed and vulnerable, Pinkie's words struck deep into the core of her being. She doubted she could hold back, but she didn't even want to try. Celestia allowed herself a nice, long, cleansing cry. It was a powerful, ugly, healing thing, all tears and mucus, and Twilight would've likely panicked if not for the smile that was on her face the whole time.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the delay on this. I kept trying to figure out how to progress things to the next stage, but I just couldn't come up with how to make the transition with plot happening. Then I realized that I needed was a chapter that didn't progress things. It still works toward future chapters, but nothing really happens. and that's what I needed to write in order to get this done. There's still progression, but this whole thing is really just...the story having some breathing room, rather than making a constant escalation of big events.

Also, sorry it's so short, I really try to hit an 8000 word minimum per chapter, but I just couldn't swing it.