• Published 17th Jun 2014
  • 345 Views, 2 Comments

A Mare in the Forest - Mydnyt Rayn



Twilight wakes up in a forest, not knowing why or how she had gotten there. Now she must survive in order to get home.

  • ...
 2
 345

Forward

Time. They say that with time, good things will come. As time is different in different places, things work in other ways. But time is always there. Whether it be hours, days, weeks, months even. Time is the key to everything in our world. We choose how to use it, how to work it. But time does not exist in one place of our World. One place unheard of by ponies of all kinds. A forest lost in Time itself. Nopony knows about it. Nopony dares look for it. But what about magic? Magic can bend time at will. But no unicorn, not even the princesses themselves, have enough power to stop it or go back in it. Magic is the only possibility. Knowing how to use it I what's hard...

A Mare in the Forest
Mydnyt Ryan

Twilight set the box down on her desk. She had not expected any packages or mail, but as it was from Princess Celestia herself, it must have been important. She retrieved some scissors from a nearby drawer and began to slice through the tape binding the flaps together. After digging around in styrofoam, she retrieved a leather-bound book with a letter attached. Naturally, Twilight read the letter first.

My dearest Twilight Sparkle,

As I was searching through the Canterlot Archives, I came across this book. It is a book by many unicorns from a long time ago, each one whom have helped study it. An ancient form of teleportation, using time as one of the key elements in it's spell. Knowing your thrive to know more, I had this book sent to you as a gift. Please keep it well kept and keep it safe.
Your friend and mentor,
Princess Celestia

Twilight set the letter down an turned her attention to the old book. Directly from the Canterlot Archives. Without hesitation, Twilight opened it gently, scanning the first page. Page by page she read notes of it's various authors and the diagrams drawn. A few hours later, Twilight flipped to the very last page. That's where the full spell was written. She read it carefully, not wanting to actually use it.
Yet. After finishing, she decided to test it. She lit her horn, repeating the spell while picturing the place of where she wanted to teleport to. With a flash of light, Twilight was teleported awayand everything went black.


She flinched.
It was an indication that Twilight was coming to. She shifted and stretched, trying her best to wake up. She sat up groggily, rubbing her eyes so the could open. She sat in a grove of trees in the center of a small clearing, the sun shining through the leaves making individual rays of light shining on her. Even though her surroundings were beautiful, Twilight had a look of confusion. How had she gotten there? Where was she before then? The only thing she could remember was a spell. A spell... That did what? She stood up, but quickly fell. Her front left foreleg stung and burned. As she examined it carefully, she saw that she had a five inch long cut that was
bleeding. She couldn't put pressure on it, so she used her magic to pull a rather large leaf off of a nearby bush an wrapped it around her leg, then using her magic to seal it. As she stood on three legs, she lit her horn and pictured home. Her magic was lit, but the spell was not working. Worried, she tried again. Same result. She tried other spells. Transformation, invisiblity, morphing, teleportation. All of the complicated spells didn't work. Levitation, binding, simple spells seemed to be the only ones to work. What was wrong?
Twilight looked around the clearing, spotting a path that wasn't there befrore. She started towards it with difficulty, having to walk on her three good legs. It was just an ordinary dirt path surrounded be trees that lead out. Twilight's gaze followed it until it came to a bend and she could no longer see down it. Swallowing, Twilight started down the path. The sun still shown through the thick leaves, scattered rays of light here and there. She came to the bend and looked out. It continued straight for a while. She continued walking and looked around at the scenery. It was all so beautiful. Twilight, given the looks, classified the area as a forest. Trees, flowers, and dirt ground. But then she could hear a sound. Rushing water. Twilight quickened her pace, the sound getting louder and louder. Soon she came across a river bank, a six foot wide river rushing along.

She looked in both directions, each way going straight for as far as she could see. She sighed and followed the left. Every so often she would spot a fish swimming in the opposite direction. She was getting tired. She sat crown to rest her legs and began to smell something new. Burning wood. She looked around, but saw no smoke. She got up to look around more, and then she saw it. A small stream of light gray smoke. She rushed towards it, finally able to get help. She maneuvered between trees, completely forgetting about the path. She ran into a clearing and stopped, smiling. She looked down to catch her breath. When she looked back up, her smile melted. In the center was a fire brazier, lit with an orangish-blue fire. No ponies or any signs that ponies were there. She walked slowly around the fire, examining it carefully.

Time, Twilight Sparkle.

"What?"

Time is the key.

"I don't under-"

All you need is time. But be warned, time does not work here. You must find it.

"But-"

Good bye, Twilight Sparkle

Twilight stood there, stunned. She has to find time in a place in which time doesn't exist, if that's even possible. She panted, sat down, and tried to gather her thoughts. But... how? She can't remember anything from before she woke up. She still had knowlage, but no memories to help her. She had to... to. She passed out, trailing off her train of thought. But, without her noticing, hidden by the trees, an all midnight-black unicorn stop and watched her with curious, red-orange eyes.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the shortness of this, but here' the first chapter! Tell me what you guys think!

Comments ( 2 )

Oh my... Twilight gonna have a bad time again. :twilightoops:
You had my curiosity, now you have my attention. :twilightsmile:

Good premise, but PLEASE get yourself an editor.

"Sat crown"?
"The sun still shown"?

Don't rely too much on spell checkers. :facehoof:

Login or register to comment