• Published 19th May 2014
  • 1,038 Views, 3 Comments

The Last Winter - Lilith Evanson



An unexpected hospitalization brings two ponies closer together.

  • ...
9
 3
 1,038

Chapter Two

Applejack’s knife slipped from her frozen hoof, the apples she had been chopping lying scattered across the countertop. Her breathing sped. She turned to face the pacing pegasus behind her and stared at the mare in confusion.

“Did you just say Myrical?”

Rainbow walked back and forth in frustration, her wings flapping spontaneously in agitation. “Yeah. Doc Myrical, that’s what she called him. You know him by any chance? Rarity said he was a good friend of hers.” The cyan pegasus walked towards the window and plopped herself down on the countertop beside it. “I think she was lying.”

Applejack quickly turned and walked towards the stove to stir the pot of cider that was bubbling. “Never heard of him.”

“Me neither. I mean, I don’t remember all the ponies she works with but if I heard a name I think I would recognize it.”

Rainbow reached over towards a bowl filled with fruit and snatched an apple from the group. She threw it up and down in the air, the green apple twirled between her hooves. “She left for Canterlot the moment she finished reading his letter.”

“You read it?” Applejack stiffly moved away from the stove and placed the hot cider off to the side. She made sure not to look Rainbow in the eye while she walked passed. Her twitchy hooves searched for things to touch and work with as she kept her head down.

“Didn’t get a chance. She stuffed it in her bags before she took off.”

“Well, that’s a shame.” Applejack gave a small, comforting smile to her friend before she turned around and released a quiet sigh of relief. Never had she felt so happy to know a friend didn’t find out the truth. She trembled a bit at the thought and scolded herself for that type of thinking. Shaking her head, Applejack walked towards her friend and patted the mare on the knee.

“Maybe you’re just overreacting. That gal’s probably fine. Just meetin’ a client, is all.” She walked back to the pan of cider and scooped up a few drops of the golden liquid, handing the spoon off to Rainbow.

“Try this. It’ll make you feel better.”

“I don’t know, AJ. I still think she lied to me.” She took a sip from the spoon and licked her lips. “Mmm, this is good. You add something?” She shoved the spoon back in her mouth.

“Just a few things to help bring out the taste. Family recipe, sug’. Can’t tell ya.”

Rainbow chewed on her spoon and scoffed. “Yeah, yeah.”

“Anyway, you afraid she’s off line dancin’ with somepony else?”

Rainbow gave her friend a blank stare and raised an eyebrow. “Line dancing? Really? That’s the best you got?”

“We got little fillies playin’ outside. I don’t want them hearin’ anything inappropriate.” Applejack aimed her own spoon towards Rainbow causing the cyan pegasus to jump. “You better respect that, missy. No foul language in this kitchen.”

Rainbow rolled her eyes. “Okay, okay! I won’t say anything nasty. But really, line dancing? How ‘bout something like hobbling the horsey?”

“Dash!”

Rainbow laughed and shook her head. “Relax, mom. Your baby kiddies are safe. For now.” She chuckled hearing her friend groan.

A brief moment of silence fell upon the two ponies. Rainbow watched her friend move back and forth between the stove and counter making lunch for the three fillies outside playing in the snow. She sat on the counter beside Applejack rolling the spoon in her mouth while playing with the green apple still in her hooves. The hearty moment didn’t last long as Applejack’s previous question reminded Rainbow of her troubles. The cyan pegasus sighed and rubbed the back of her neck in frustration.

“I’m not worried about her cheating on me or something. I trust her. I know she would never hurt me on purpose.”

“Good. Rarity ain’t that kind of gal, you know.”

“No, she isn’t.” She banged her head against the cabinets behind her. “I’m just curious about why she felt she had to lie about going to Canterlot. It makes me feel itchy all over.” She fidgeted and her wings ruffled in example.

“Well, I imagine she had a good reason. Maybe it was to help a friend.” Applejack swallowed the bitter taste in her mouth from her lies. “Or she was probably asked to be discreet.”

“Maybe.” Rainbow lifted herself from the counter and flew towards the window to look out. The clouded sky seemed to darken every time she stared up to check on them. The snow would fall in a couple of hours and the wind made special by the highest of weather patrol ponies up in Cloudsdale would be following after. She was going to have to meet with her team to catch it before it hit Ponyville. While the weather teams up in Cloudsdale were professional, they always tended to make the winds too strong and destructive. Unbeknownst to them, Rainbow always made sure to catch them before they reached her small town. Bigger cities like Manehatten and Canterlot might be able to handle them but Ponyville would shatter in an hour under such deadly winds.

“I don’t think she’s gonna even make it home. The blizzard is already in Canterlot. She might be stuck out there.”

“Don’t go sayin’ things like that. It ain’t right.”

“I’m not saying it to be mean! I’m just telling the truth. You of all ponies should at least respect that.”

A choking noise distracted Rainbow and she swirled around to stare at the farm mare. “Woah, you okay?”

Applejack covered her mouth with her hoof and cleared her throat. “Mmhm, yeah. I just…choked on my own spit.”

Rainbow raised an eyebrow. “Okay. Anyway, I’m just being honest. No pony wants Rarity home more than me but the way this storm is going, I don’t think she’ll make it back.” Rainbow turned to look out the window again.

Applejack watched her friend sit forlornly watching the dreary clouds. It saddened her she couldn’t say the words that so desperately wanted to be let out. Biting her lip, the farm pony calmly walked towards Rainbow and sat down beside her on the ground. She patted her friend on the leg once more before sighing and watched the clouds swirl in the sky.

“Rarity’s my friend too, Dash, and I’m a bit worried myself but she’s a grown mare. She’s faced off worse than a storm and some pony asking for help.”

Rainbow shook her head. “Imagine Pinkie Pie out there alone.”

Applejack froze. “W-what?”

“She’s out there all alone in a bad storm hours away from home. Sure, she’s got enough friends in the city to lend her a place to stay but how do you think she would feel being away from Ponyville during a time like this?”

Applejack closed her eyes and inhaled deeply. “I reckon my mare would be torn to pieces worrying about us.”

“Yeah, and I’m sure Rarity’s worried too but I feel more like Pinkie Pie right now. I just get this weird feeling like she needs us. Needs me.” She sighed.

Applejack peered over to her friend, a look of worry overshadowing her face. She took hold of Rainbow’s hoof and held tight. “This just ain’t about the storm, is it?”

Rainbow shook her head. They sat in silence for a moment staring out the window before Rainbow rounded up the courage to speak. “Something’s been going on with Rarity for a while now and I don’t know what it is.”

“What do you mean?” Applejack frowned.

“Don’t…don’t say anything to the others, okay? I don’t need them freaking out about this.” Rainbow turned towards Applejack and scowled. “Or thinking I’m paranoid or something.”

Applejack paused. “I Pinkie promise.” She crossed her heart and poked her eye.

Rainbow nodded. She turned and walked towards the kitchen table. Placing the green apple on a chair, Rainbow turned to Applejack and frowned. “Rarity’s been acting really weird for a couple of weeks now.”

“Weird in what way?”

‘Oh no.’

Rainbow shrugged. “Just weird. At first I thought it was, like, the flu or something or maybe she was working too hard but it’s been getting worse.”

“Rainbow, what on earth are you talkin’ about?”

Rainbow sighed loudly and rubbed her hooves against her eyes. “Okay. Here’s an example. A couple of days ago Rarity was working with a client. Somepony who wanted her to make a winter dress for some fancy party, right?”

Applejack nodded.

“I’ve seen this pony before. Can’t remember her name but Rarity’s worked with this mare plenty of times. They’re on, like, a first name basis and stuff. Well, everything’s going great and then Rarity kinda just freezes.”

“Freezes?”

“Yeah, she get’s this really confused look on her face. At first, I thought she forgot something important and was trying to remember but then she looked at her client and goes, ‘Excuse me, darling, but do you need help with anything?’” Rainbow mimicked the fashionista’s accent. “She just completely zooned out and didn’t even remember talking to the mare.”

Applejack shook her head in shock. “I-”

“That’s not all, either. A few times she’s called me Dashel or Rain. I figured since we’re a couple and all, maybe she was just trying to come up with a cutesy nickname. You know, she’s just being Rarity. But after a while…”

Rainbow looked up towards Applejack. “She forgot my name.”

Applejack stared in disbelief. “Oh, honey.”

“I don’t know what to do, AJ.” Rainbow plopped herself down, defeated. She rubbed her face in her hooves, her whole body limp and pale. “She’s woken up a few times with a fever. At least when I stayed over she did. She’s forgotten dates and ponies. Her magic’s been out of whack too.”

The farm mare walked up to Rainbow and grabbed her by the shoulder. “Have you talked to her about it?”

“Well, sorta. Every time I try she changes the subject. I think she knows but maybe she’s afraid.” Rainbow’s wings fluttered in agitation, a scowl formed on her face. “I’m getting real sick of it. I have no clue what’s going on and I’m sca-” She coughed. “I’m…confused.”

Applejack’s gaze left the broken pegasus and focused on the wooden floor. This was it. If there was any moment where she had to tell the truth, it was now.

Rarity was going to be so disappointed in her.

‘Sorry, girl. I just can’t hold it in no more.’

Applejack glanced back up at Rainbow with a determined look. “Rainbow, there’s somethin’ I need to tell y-”

“Applejack! We’re back. Is lunch ready?”

Both ponies jumped and spun around to look towards the living room. Three young fillies piled inside shaking off their boots and coats, their manes wet from sweat and snow. Sweetie Belle noticed the two adults staring at them and frowned.

“Um, are we in trouble?”

Applejack blinked. “Oh, no hon. Just wasn’t expectin’ ya’ll.” She smiled. “Come on in, let’s get some food in ya. I’m sure ya’ll are hungry ponies after all that runnin’ around, hm?” She walked past a very confused pegasus and ushered the girls inside the kitchen. Turning to Rainbow, she gave a small smiled and mouthed, ‘We’ll talk later.’

Rainbow nodded and gave a crooked smile back. She followed the girls into the kitchen and led them towards the table. Applejack, meanwhile, stood behind when she noticed one of the fillies missing. Applebloom was digging into her jacket’s pocket searching deep.

“I got somethin’ real important for ya, Applejack.” Her tiny tongue stuck out as she rummaged around until finally, with a low exclamation, she pulled out a small scroll and handed it to her sister. “Derpy came by a few minutes ago with this in her hooves.”

Applejack took the small scroll and patted her sister on the head. “Thanks, sugarcube. Now, why don’t you go get yourself a cucumber and apple sandwich and I’ll be there in a jiffy.”

Applebloom nodded, running towards the loud sounds of Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash exchanging stories. Applejack peered down at the scroll in her hooves and frowned. As she turned it around, she noticed a peculiar seal on the back. She had seen it before somewhere but the memory wouldn’t come forward. Shaking her head, the farm mare opened the scroll and began to read.

Author's Note:

I'm most likely not going to make the deadline for the RariDash contest. I tried, really I did. But I kinda found out about this three weeks ago and...yeah. I was working on two other stories at the time so it's my fault. Well, doesn't matter. I got another story up and it's for something not AppleDash! Huzzah!

Two more chapter to go for this baby. They'll be up in the next few days. Hey, at least another story can be added to the RariDash group! SUPPORT!

Comments ( 3 )

i'm interested in this story, let see where it goes.

I’d love to see more!

Login or register to comment