• Published 10th Jun 2014
  • 5,478 Views, 268 Comments

SpikeDash Group Collab - Vexy



A collection of short stories from the SpikeDash group.

  • ...
13
 268
 5,478

PreviousChapters Next
Parents - Steadfast Hoof

“So how fast can those babies take you?”

Spike blinked at the question and stared blankly at the stallion before chuckling awkwardly.

“Heh, well I can’t go faster than any normal pegasus, but I’m much more agile and I can make some killer turns.” Spike puffed out his chest and Rainbow Blaze mutely nodded in approval.

A few feet away, setting up the picnic, Rainbow Dash and her mother, Rainbow Shine both rolled their eyes. Her mother snorted, expertly setting up the plates and utensils.

“Looks like your father approves already. I swear,” she rolled her eyes again, taking out the sandwiches and assorted finger foods, she placed them economically on the plates, “he always just goes for the throat. I mean, that was good when he was guarding our borders from the nasty inferno wryms, but he just doesn’t know how to handle things delicately.” She proceeded to take out the bottles of water and nudge them to the perfect spot next to the plates on the cloud benches. She didn’t notice Dash wince.

“Uhh… yeah about that, Mom. Can you please not mention that around Spike, I mean—“

“Too late,” Shine said dismissively, pointing a hoof. Dash snapped her head back to the males.

Spike was gulping audibly while her dad was smashing his hooves together. He grinned at the dragon, every word dripping venom.

“Yep, I remember this one time this big guy thought he had me cornered but he never saw the pass grow too narrow overhead for him to fly away,” his grin became toothy. ”Have I mentioned yet how soft dragon bellies are?”

Spike swallowed, clutching his stomach, and shook his head so fast that it rattled.

Rainbow Blaze smirked and threw his arm around Spike, staring at him, yet daring him to look away. “Eeyup not so tough. You know I heard that dragons—the males that is—leave their mates once they bear young.” His grip tightened. “You’re not that type of dragon, are you?”

Spike squeaked before slowly shaking his head, yet never breaking eye contact.

Blaze backed off. Spike sighed in relief before the stallion threw his arm back over him. They butted heads, their eyes nearly touching.

“Good!” Blaze guffawed, his smile not unlike a maniacs. “That’s great, Spike, because I’d hate to have to come after you. You seem like a good kid.” Blaze backed off, smirking lazily. “Say, have I told you about the martial arts they taught us in guard training specifically to combat dragons? No? would you li—“ Blaze stopped. Spike wasn’t staring at him anymore. He was staring past him; over his shoulder. That’s when Blaze felt a presence looming above him. He swallowed hard.

“Spike.”

Blaze winced at the barley contained fury in the voice. Spike shot past her father and straightened out in front of Rainbow Dash.

“Yes ma’am.”

Rainbow stopped her glaring long enough to give Spike a slow look, “Uhh, Mom needs your help starting up the fire. When did you say your mom was coming?”

Spike relaxed as she glared past him.

“Um, she should be here any minute.”

“Good. Go help Mom. I need to have a little talk with Chatty Cathy here,” She hissed.

Spike scuttled off as fast as his legs could take him. He waved catching the attention of shine who was setting up a perfect pyramid of charcoal; she smiled sweetly motioning him over.

“Could you please help with the fire, Spike?”

He nodded, easily lighting the fuel. His eyes fell on the table and his brow knit in confusion. Shine noticed his gaze and asked him with genuine concern.

“Is everything okay?” she asked.

His eyes darted back up to her and he smiled sheepishly.

“I’m sorry but why’d you need me if you already have a box of matches right here? Not that I mind!” he blurted out that last part quickly. Rainbow Shine smiled, quickly grasping what Spike meant.

“Well Dash thought it was best if I had a chance to see you myself…” her gaze danced over behind him and she frowned, “among other things.”

Spike stealthily glanced back and he nearly did a double take as that menacing ex-guard was busily throwing himself around Rainbow Dash’s hooves, crying about not giving her up. Dash was blushing up to her ears, valiantly trying to push him off while hissing about being in public.

Spike opened his mouth to ask but a familiar voice tickled his ears and a huge grin threatened to tear his face in half.

“Oh, where is my little hatchling?

A pinkish white pegasus trotted into view carrying a basket on her back. Some passerby’s stared as her pink mane danced in an ethereal wind. She ignored the dragon, playfully passing him up. She made a show of looking everywhere but at him, even going so far as looking over and under him.

“I could’ve sworn my cute little son told me to meet him here.” She giggled and pouted.

Spike rolled his eyes, smiling nonetheless.

“Mom, I’m right here,” he opened his arms invitingly

She turned around dramatically. Trying to gape in disbelief and utterly failing at keeping a smile off her muzzle. “Spike? Is that you? Why the last time I saw you, you still waddled.” She trotted over and mushed his face with her hooves, “What happened to my favorite chubby little cheeks? Who is this handsome drake and what have you done with my son?” she whined.

Spike rolled his eyes and scooped her up in a tender bear hug. She laughed as spike snatched the basket deftly placing it on the table before spinning her around. She squeezed him tightly.

“I’m sorry I haven’t seen you in so long.” Her voice nearly wavered, but Spike went in another spin grinning hugely down at her.

“Come on, Mom. Princesses don’t get many days off. It’s fine.”

She gasped, patronizing Spike as she covered his mouth and glanced around. “Spike you know you’re not supposed to talk about that when I’m in disguise, and don’t forget to refer me as Sunny Skies,” she added with a wink.

Spike rolled his eyes and placed her on the spongy cloud. She trotted over to Rainbow Shine who had started to place vegetables on the grill. 'Sunny Skies' smiled eagerly and opened her mouth to greet the mare but her face fell as Shine bowed low.

“Your majesty.”

Celestia glared at Spike who at least had the sense to look sheepish and quickly ushered up her subject.

“Please there is no need to bow when I’m like this. Please just treat me as you would anypony else,” she said quickly.

Shine looked up and saw the pleading look in Celestia’s eyes and smiled understandingly.

“Oh, of course. How rude of me. I’m sorry, it’s just a habit.” She quickly placed some more vegetables on the grill. “Say, do you think you could help me by splitting some of the vegetables?”

Sunny Skies brightened, smiling widely, “Of course!” She looked at Spike and motioned over to the basket she had brought. “I know you like star garnets and I also brought along some other gems. ButYouHaveToWaitToEatWithEveryoneElse!” she scolded as Spike moved in to stuff a handful into his maw.

Rainbow Dash and a thoroughly whipped Blaze trotted over. Rainbow went and bowed to Sunny Skies who huffed as Blaze gave Spike the stink eye. Rainbow Shine watched all this with a smile on her face. She smirked lightly as a certain stallion droned out an apology to a skittish dragon.

“Alright now that that’s done and over with, how about you—” Blaze grinned, trotting over and jabbing Spike in the chest. “—and me, one lap around Cloudsdale.”

Rainbow Shine winced, mentally facehoofing. She opened her eyes, and sure enough, Dash was jumping at the opportunity to get away from the cooking and conversations and whatever she deemed “girly”. Shine raised an eyebrow as Sunny Skies eyed the group almost hungrily. She looked around fearfully, biting her lip as she ducked her head under the table. Shine yelped, grabbing plates and food as Sunny Skies transformed into Princess Celestia, who was much larger, causing the table to lurch up.

The princess stumbled, trying to get the table off her head. Staying low she poked her head out the side. Making eye contact with Shine, she laughed awkwardly before levitating everything and setting it all back down properly. Shine eyed her curiously as her princess split all the vegetables quickly with magic and placed them on the grill, even going so far as to flip some that Shine had neglected.

“I’m so sorry! It’s just that, um…” She bit her lip.

Celestia flashed, changing back before looking at the group who were preparing to take off. Rainbow Shine glanced at both before understanding. She rolled her eyes and nudged Sunny Skies towards the group. She smiled apologetically but Shine just smiled and waved her off.

“Oh thank you! Thank you!” Sunny Skis nearly skipped over, transforming back into an alicorn.

Shines smile fell as her princess said something she couldn’t quite make out. Dash’s expression said it all as she scowled at a smirking Celestia. Spike slapped a claw over his eyes as they devolved into a shouting match, their wings twitching eagerly.

His race forgotten, Blaze moved to calm them down, but he cowered behind Spike when he was told to stay out of it. Dash glared at Spike.

“Count. Down. Now.”

He chuckled as he readied himself next to them. Blaze placed himself safely away from them next to Spike as he counted down from three. Simultaneously they all rocketed off dissipating the cloud beneath them. Shine shook her head chuckling. She smiled again enjoying the breeze as she flipped the food.

Author's Note:

Written by Steadfast Hoof.

PreviousChapters Next