• Published 1st Apr 2014
  • 1,153 Views, 41 Comments

The Helljumper *Objective Updated* - Addunexus



ODSTs, the second proudest unit in the UNSC. They volunteered to be shot from space onto the planets below to fight Humanitie' enemies. These soldiers are respected, feared, and avoided by most.

  • ...
3
 41
 1,153

Chapter 5: Reoccurring Nightmares Part 1

Chapter 5: Reoccurring Nightmares Part 1

Chapter 5: Reoccurring Nightmare

My eyes shot open and I didn't see the basement I had fallen asleep in. Before me was a two story building, a building I knew all too well. I was standing in the outskirts of Casbah, the colony Tribute's capital city. Hearing the sound of boots on pavement, I spun around and saw an almost complete squad of Marines running towards me. Two of my friends were in the lead; one was Platoon Commander Lieutenant Anne Miller. The man on her heels, and the center of one of my many reoccurring nightmares, Captain Jeremiah Stewart, the commanding officer of the ODSTs stationed aboard the UNSC Weeping Willows.

I stood there in shock as he ran up to me.

"Come on Corporal," he whispered to me, "Second, Third, and Fourth Squads have the escape routes out of this building secured; we have to get into position."

"Yes sir!"

I spun as he started moving again and ran after the rest of the squad. Upon reaching the building the Captain motioned for me to move up front. As I did I took a glance to the side to see Anne nod, she must have known what I was ordered to do. I reached the door as I my eyes moved front, and my hand shot from the suppressed assault rifle I was somehow carrying and grabbed the handle. I motioned for the unit to move after I cleared the first room.

I then turned the handle and quietly opened the door. When it was open far enough I moved in with my rifle leveled, checking everywhere for a target, fortunately the room was empty. After a second quick check of the room, I pressed the plate on the inside of my helmet causing the comm to click and signaling the rest of the squad that they could move in and start clearing the rest of the building. As my fellow soldiers began their work, Stewart waved me over to him at the bottom of the stairs.

"You and I," he whispered over the comm, "we’re going to start clearing the second floor."

I just nodded and took my position ahead of him, and began my way up the stairs. Half way up I saw someone start to turn around the corner ahead of me. Purely out of instinct, I pointed the rifle at the figure and let it finish its turn. When completed, I saw a woman wielding an M90 shotgun. My finger squeezed the trigger and I heard three muffled shots, which were followed by her beginning a tumble down the stairs.

"Tango down," I said into the mic in my helmet, "proceeding to the second floor."

When I reached the second floor I turned left, and began searching for the rest of her terrorist friends. When the Captain cleared the landing I moved forward down the hall. I saw four rooms and one closet. The layout was two doors, a closet on the right, then the final two doors. As I reared the final set of rooms, I heard the hinges of a door squeak, and I spun around leveling my rifle. I looked at the man behind me as he began to move forward. The next thing I knew I was thrown into a room, and I came to a stop against the opposite wall. When I made it to my feet there was the muffled thump of a grenade. Rushing back into the hall, I saw the closet was still closed, but Captain Stewart was face down on the ground.

As I realized what had happened, I keyed the comm and told everyone that we had a man down. When the mic clicked off, I let my anger take a hold of my mind. I aimed my rifle at the closet door and sprayed the lower half until the magazine was empty. The adrenaline was flowing through my body, but I couldn't ignore the searing pain that cut through the left side of my chest as I began to swap out my empty mag.

I heard boots thundering up the stairs as I fell towards the closet door.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My eyes snapped open and I immediately reached for my battle rifle at my side. Bringing it up I scanned the area around me, I was back in the dimly lit basement. I checked the clock on my HUD and saw it read 07:50. 'Four hours of terrible sleep, can this get any worse?' Looking to the right I noticed that there was a figure standing at the bottom of the stairs. I instantly brought the rifle to bear on it. When the figure didn't flinch I switched on my night vision, and saw Luna standing there, eyes locked on me

"Don't you know it is creepy to watch someone sleep?" I asked as I lowered my weapon, "I mean, even though I am from some other planet, that doesn’t change anything."

She shuffled forward a few steps and sat down; worry slowly coming across her face.

"I saw you were having a nightmare-"

Wait," I interrupted, "how did you know I was having a nightmare?"

"Well," she sheepishly began, "as Princess of the Night, I watch over ponies dreams." Luna's voice then shifted to sadness," I usually keep young ones from having nightmares. But this time I saw yours during my flight through the dream realm. I tried to help and stop it, but every time I tried to enter I found myself unable to do so."

“First off," I said after I stood up with a grunt, “I’m not a pony, so that’s your first issue. And second, that one is just one of the many reoccurring nightmares I’ve had over the years. Nothing and nobody can stop them. Finally, don't try to do that dream seeing crap with me again."

Luna stared at me for a moment, with her ears flattened back before she spoke, "I apologize, I was just trying to help. Do you wish to at least talk about it? I have found over my life talking about it helps, it is better than keeping it bottled up inside."

"No, I won't talk about it, and do not ask about it again. It is in my past, and I want it to stay there. I have already dealt with it and I don't plan to re-open old wounds."

Before she could reply I walked past her and began to make my way up the stairs. Half way up I could barely make out four muffled voices having a very heated argument.

"Twi- on't- re!"

"Shinni- stop, he- wo- anyp-"

Upon reaching the door, I placed the rifle on my back and opened it, the voices I had heard previously stopped as I entered. In my haste I forgot to turn off my night vision and I tore my helmet from my head. I kept my eyes closed tight and shook my head to try and rid them of the pain, a futile attempt but I tried.

When I finally opened my eyes I saw the library was cleaned from Shining's attempt to use me as a rag doll, but I also noticed that there were four sets of eyes focused on me. I took note that Luna had come up from the basement behind me but didn't turn to look at her. Instead, I moved to the chair I sat in last night, which was thankfully were I left it. As I sat down and began rummaging in my kit bag for an MRE, I heard someone clear their throat.

"I hope my sister did not wake you," said a voice from my left.

I kept rummaging as I looked up and saw Celestia staring at me. The only response I gave her was a simple shake of the head, and finally found one of the corners of the brown prize. Upon freeing the package from its dark prison I noticed happily that I retrieved a spaghetti entree, which was always my favorite. Looking up from my prize I saw Celestia was joined by Twilight, Cadence, and Luna, and they were all looking at me.

"What are you all staring at?" I asked, "I’m just getting some breakfast."

"My sister told me you had a nigh-" Celestia began before I cut her off.

"Like I told her downstairs," I said as I met her gaze and continued searching my bags for the ration heater, “The fact she tried to look into my dreams is creepy, and I want my past to be in the past, I got over it once and I do not want to get over it again. That nightmare was one of many, many that I want to forget and never have again but I’m unable to because it’s my fault that the events those portray happened in the first place."

Two of the ponies in front of me looked horrified from what I had just admitted, but the other two had no emotion on their faces. But when I looked into their eyes I saw pain. The pain of those who know the feeling of having someone's death laid squarely on your shoulders. I finally pulled the heater out and set it on the floor, and I then went through the process of heating up my breakfast. Upon opening the entree package, took a whiff causing a large smile on to spread across my face

"Nothing like a good spaghetti MRE to start the day!" I say with gusto.

"Why are you making that for breakfast?" asked Twilight.

I looked at her like she had just offended my mother. I gestured for her and the rest of the ponies in the room to take a seat, and when they did I ate faster. But not fast enough to squander my favorite meal.

After I finished my last bite and released a rather large and rude belch I began to speak, "This MRE just so happens to be my one of my favorite types, well besides the milkshake ones but those are harder to get. And I will try my best to eat them when I can because they don't taste like dirt."

"Wait you’re given food that tastes like dirt?" asked Twilight.

"No, the other MREs I have taste like cardboard," I clarified, "the makers of these things didn't particularly care much about flavor, just how healthy they are."

She finally got what I was saying and lost the puzzled look on her face, but before she could ask anything else I stood up.

"Alright, I need to go out to the Pelican and get a few things I left out there. Is there any way we could get there without causing a problem?"

Celestia spoke up first, "Yes there is, but I do not know if it will work with you."

I made a gesture for her to try it anyway, and the ponies before me rose and were joined by Shining. I had no idea where he went while I told them about why I liked my food. When my eyes went back to Celestia I saw her horn was glowing and suddenly heard a loud pop, and I felt like my stomach lurch like it was left in orbit when I drop. When I realized where we were I stared at Celestia with a look of confusion.

"How did we get here so fast?"

"We teleported," Shining said like I should have known that was usual.

"Okay you lost me at teleported, does that mean what I think it means?"

"Yes, yes it does," Celestia's voice came from my right.

"Okay," I said bringing my hand to my face, "talking ponies is one thing but teleporting is another ball game."

Author's Note:

Okay I apologize for this taking so long to come out..... yeah my bad. But I will get one a month schedule soon! I hope you guys enjoy this chapter.

Comments ( 7 )

5620613
I have been working on fixing them as best I can

5682952
Thanks I am trying my best. I have kept my halo knowledge and mlp knowledge in mind as much as possible

5682987 it shows, I see the ponies being pushy with stuff and him being a preferred loner until he decides to let them in gradually

5683123
I am beginning to get more ideas for this next chapter. But the next chapter is almost ready for proof read and the ideas I have are good for this chapter. But will not have to be pushed back until later.

5685367 just take your time you never rush a good story

5686649
that is why I haven't sent my chapter to my editor yet. It isn't where I want it at yet.

Login or register to comment