• Published 10th Feb 2014
  • 1,023 Views, 14 Comments

The Package - tales



Ponyville's three Crusaders team up with the most unlikely characters. While staying together under one roof in the middle of a thunderstorm, a mysterious package arrives… What could go wrong?

  • ...
2
 14
 1,023

The Package

The Package

It was a cloudy autumn day in Ponyville. The inhabitants noticed a change in the temperature and began to put on scarfs before walking out of their homes. The cold weather meant good business for the fashion boutique that provided warm clothes for customers. A little white filly unicorn hurried down the stairs at top speed. The scarf wrapped around her neck bobbed up and down as she scurried to the front door. Her small group, The Cutie Mark Crusaders had yet another day of activities they had planned out and were looking forward to testing them out.

“Hold up there, Sweetie Belle!” shouted a voice from over a desk where a piece of fabric was blocking the speaker from view. “Remember Sweetie, the weather doesn’t look too promising today so try and keep your shenanigans down to a minimum, ok?”

“Oh, come on Rarity,” said Sweetie Belle as she proudly proclaimed, “You should know by now that in order for us to get our cutie marks, The Cutie Mark Crusaders must be ready to meet any challenge!”

“Right, well prepare to face the challenge of being grounded if you’re not careful this time around,” said Rarity sternly. “I mean it, Sweetie. The Weather Pegasi fell behind schedule again so the winds will be strong and according to Rainbow Dash, chances of a rain will be extremely high this afternoon.”

Sweetie Belle rolled her eyes before agreeing that she would stay at one of her friends’ houses if the weather got bad.



“Absolutely not!” said an annoyed orange mare named Applejack.

“Aw, come on big sister!” wined a just as annoyed filly named Apple Bloom. “All mah friends are expecting me to participate in the clubs activities!”

“Look Apple Bloom,” began Applejack, spitting out a couple of nails held in her teeth. “Normally ah would have no problem with ya’ll going about your business, but today isn’t the best time for ya to be doin’ such things!”

“It’s just a little rain on the horizon,” Apple Bloom muttered under her breath.

“A little rain nothin’!” Applejack said beginning to hammer nails into the ceiling of the barn.

The Apple family’s barn was due for another check up. This time the repairs couldn’t have been more crucial. Ever since the Weather Pegasi fell behind schedule once again, they warned Ponyville that there was a big rainstorm on the horizon. Apple Bloom sighed, knowing fully well that because of the storm, her club activities wouldn’t be full of anything she and the rest of her club members would consider too exciting. The Pegasi just had to pick today to bring down the thunder. Seeing the look her little sister was giving her, Applejack sighed.

“Look, sugarcube, Ah didn’t say you can’t be outside all day, just be home by the afternoon, would yah? The heavy weather's supposed be around by then.”

“Ok, Ah understand,” said Apple Bloom, feeling slightly happier as she left her big sister and silent older brother to deal with repairing the gaps in the barn. Apple Bloom set off down the “for now” dry dirt road in search of her friends.

The first Crusader she met up with was little pegasus named Scootaloo, who was riding her scooter and almost sped past her. Wanting to waist no time, the two rode off together in search of Sweetie Belle. Sure enough, they found her, but they didn’t expect to run into two other fillies at the same time. One of which was pink with misty blue eyes that didn’t match her snooty attitude and a tiara as a cutie mark. The other was grey with misty purple eyes and a fancy silver spoon as her cutie mark.

“Oh great,” groaned Scootaloo, coming to a stop. “I didn’t want to run into them today. Lets hurry and get Sweetie Belle before we’re dragged into the mix.”

As they approached the three fillies, they heard the pink filly say to Sweetie Belle, “I just want to know, where you’re headed Blank Flank! Where's the rest of the Blank Brigade?”

“Right here, Diamond Tiara!” growled Scootaloo, making her scooter come to a screeching halt. “As much as we would love to hear what you and Silver Spoon have to say to us, we have no time to engage in pointless arguing today.”

“Nor do we!” said Diamond Tiara dramatically. “We too, have places to be and ponies to meet. But I couldn’t leave without knowing Sweetie here got back to her home planet.”

“Any planet that doesn’t have a you two in it sounds too good to be true.” said Scootaloo, failing to keep her thoughts to herself.

“Now, now Silver Spoon," said Diamond Tiara holding up a hoof to silence her friend form retorting. "Let’s leave Sweetie Belle with the rest of the Looser Squad. We have to hurry and stock up on supplies we’ll be needing to keep us preoccupied during the storm.”

Before they left, Sliver Spoon swiped Sweetie Belle in the face with her tail and the two headed down the street, laughing at what they thought was their own cleverness. The Crusaders watched them prance off and frowned at the unfortunate encounter.

“Anyway,” Scootaloo started up. “What’s the plan for today girls? Are we going to do something exciting and most importantly, what the older ponies would consider to be crazy wicked fun?”

“I don’t think so, Scootaloo,” said Sweetie Belle. “I think we’re better off trying something simple, something less likely to get us in trouble,”

“Oh please,” said Scootlaloo frowning slightly. “Trouble usually finds us! We don’t go around looking for it! We don’t wonder around with a sign that says “Trouble, come find us if you think your bad enough.”

“You got to stop sayin’ things like that,” said Apple Bloom half humored, half worried. “Ah think you might be jinxin’ us if yah do.”

Scootaloo shook her head in disbelief. “Oh come on Apple Bloom, you know jinxes only happen when somepony like Twilight are able to cast them.”

“Yeah, I guess you're right,” said Apple Bloom, sheepishly.

“Alright, Cutie Mark Crusaders! Lets head on out! Our Cutie Marks are just waiting to be discovered!”

Through out the day, the Cutie Mark Crusaders tried to put their best ideas into action, but thanks to the onset of bad weather, it made things impossible to accomplish without a suitable crowd of ponies around to bare witness to their antics. The real blow was that the three fillies couldn’t find anyone that needed help or anyone who had ideas that they had yet to try. Before to long, the afternoon came and right on cue, the wind picked up rapidly! The three bowed their heads down against the wind as they made their way to the closest house available. Luckily, the closest house was Apple Bloom’s. They hurried down the dirt road past the gate. When they reached the front door, they found much to their relief, that it was unlocked. Upon opening the door, the three saw the rest of Apple Bloom’s family already inside.

“Apple Bloom? Oh, good, you’re home and your friends are here too I see.”

“Sorry Applejack,” said Apple Bloom “We got caught up in the storm and…”

“It’s alright, sugarcube, your friends will have to stay here until tomorrow, though. Ah suppose I’m gonna have to go tell Rarity where ya’ll are, Sweetie Belle.”

“It’s ok, Applejack,” I told Rarity that I would stay at a friends house if I got caught in the storm.”

“Even still, I’d feel better letting her know either way,” said Applejack. “Granny Smith, Big Mac let’s go! If we’re fast enough we can shop for last minute supplies before the heavy stuff starts fallin’.”

“Yyyyep,” said a tall red earth pony making his way to the front door.

“Apple Bloom, ya’ll know the rules. Don’t open the door for anypony unless it’s us and if the power goes out, the lanterns are in the cabinet in the kitchen along with the matches.”

Once Big Mac opened the door, it flung open from the force of the wind, making all three older ponies bow their heads. Applejack held onto her hat as she said aloud, “Perhaps you oughta stay here, Granny Smith!”

“Don’t be countin’ me out just yet young’un!” shouted Granny Smith over the roar of the wind. “I can manage just fine!”

“Alright then! Big Mac, lets go!”

The three braved the storm outside as the door slammed shut behind them. Apple Bloom went over to the door to lock it and hurried over to the window to watch her family move down the dirt road, that at this point was like watching a mini sand storm. The loose leaves on nearby trees blew off the branches and soared across the sky. The Crusaders watched as the rest of the Apple’s disappeared out of sight and they were left alone in the house in probably the worst storm yet. Still they weren’t about to let the storm get in the way of their club activities. So to pass the time, the three Crusaders thought up new ideas they could try once the storm passed. After they exhausted their brainstorming, the only thing they wanted to do was try one of the ideas.

“Let’s see,” said Apple Bloom straightening up the piece of paper she had been taking notes on. “Since we can’t go outside until the storm is over that leaves us with inside activities. Either the Cooking Extraordinaire or the… the…”

“How about this one!” exclaimed Scootaloo pointing at the second to last idea on the list.

They looked at the name she was referring to, The Cutie Mark P.I.C.

“What?” Sweetie Belle asked skeptically.

“The Cutie Mark Paranormal Investigation’s Committee,” answered Scootaloo.

“I know what it means, but I highly doubt there’s anything paranormal in this house.”

“Well, let’s go over what we would have to expect once we have the opportunity to try this idea out.”

Their ideas ranged form typical hauntings, to finding out what the Everfree Forest had yet to reveal in its vast spooky environment. Then the likely hood of getting rid of curses and hexes came to mind. At long last they decided to try out cooking. However, to use Scootaloo’s remark after the smoke cleared and Sweetie Belle was busy spraying the kitchen with scented spray; “That could’ve turned out worse.”

After a while, the Crusaders went upstairs to Apple Bloom’s room where they busied themselves with the only option they had left… reading. Scootaloo was flipping through the pages of a comic, while Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom tried out lengthy stories from Applejack’s collection of mystery and suspense.

“Hey, what do you think this means?” asked Sweetie Bell, pointing at a sentence.

From what Apple Bloom could guess, it involved several words that would surly drive Granny Smith up the wall if she ever heard them being spoken aloud, and something to do with a kitchen knife and trash bag. From the floor Scootaloo set her comic down and groaned.

“I’m sooooo board! There has to be something we can do.”

“Like what?” asked Apple Bloom.

“I don’t know just something… Anything!”

Setting their books down, they thought for a moment and then sure enough, Scootaloo shot up acting excited.

“I know! How about a game of… Hide and Seek… In the dark!”

“Really you want to try that out of all things?” asked Apple Bloom.

“Think of it this way, when else is there going to be a better time to play it unless it’s at night?”

She had a point, so, shrugging, the three set up the game rules. Everywhere from Apple Bloom’s room to the downstairs basement was acceptable, if caught you were expected to stay with the seeker until all those hiding were found. With the rules set everyone was ready to start, Apple Bloom shot off downstairs to turn off all the lights. Thanks to the heavy rainclouds, the sunlight wasn’t going to be problem. The three fillies were now left in almost total darkness, the only thing left to do was to figure out who would be the first seeker. Sweetie Belle volunteered and the other two quickly set off to find a hiding spot while the white unicorn closed her eyes and began to count.

“One hundred, two hundred, three hundred, four hundred, five hundred, six hundred…”

Apple Bloom found a spot in the cabinet below the sink, while Scootaloo opened the basement door and crept downstairs. Apple Bloom could hear Sweetie Belle reach a thousand before speaking aloud to the quiet house.

“Ready or not, here I come!”

The sound of a bedroom door was heard, followed by more doors opening and closing. Before too long, hoof steps came downstairs and made their way to the living room couch. Apple Bloom stayed perfectly still while listening to Sweetie Belle drawing closer then distant. She waited to be startled out of her hiding spot, but instead she heard Sweetie Belle head down more stairs and everything went silent… Apple Bloom was about to switch hiding spots when all of a sudden a loud horrified scream came from the basement followed by laughter and an angered voice.

“Scootaloo, don’t do that!” said Sweetie Belle feeling her heart race. “I’m the one that’s supposed to be doing the seeking, not you!”

“Relax, Sweetie Belle!” said Scootaloo clutching her stomach as she fell over positively howling with laughter. “I was going to sneak back upstairs, but then again there was no way I was going to let an opportunity like that pass by!”

“Right, sure,” said Sweetie Belle, still annoyed, as her heartbeat returned to normal. “Just help me find Apple Bloom, would ya?”

“Ok, ok. Oh man, you should’ve seen your face when I leaped out! Your eyes were like two large dinner plates!”

Apple Bloom rolled her eyes as she heard the two approach the top of the stairs. Scootaloo followed Sweetie Belle back upstairs where they searched Big Mac’s room until finally they spotted Apple Bloom’s tail dart out of sight behind the living room couch.

“I think we need to set some new ground rules,” grumbled Sweetie Belle. “The Seeker is the only one who’s allowed to do the seeking and no jumping out at anypony while you’re hiding.”

“Fine,” said a disappointed Scootaloo. “I’ll count this time,”

While the orange Pegasus was counting, the white unicorn and yellow earth pony hurried to find their hiding spots. As it turned out, Scootaloo was a master at seeking and in just a few minutes, she found Apple Bloom inside a laundry basket and Sweetie Belle under Apple Bloom’s bed. Now it was Apple Bloom’s turn and when she had finished counting, the sound of rain had just begun hitting the roof. Apple Bloom began her search downstairs since every one so far had been found hiding there. Thinking that she might as well start off in the basement, she headed down, the stairs creaked with each step. Finding no one there she headed back up.

PLOP, PLOP! The rain continued to fall hammering away at the roof. Apple Bloom was just checking behind the couch when she thought she heard the sound of movement coming not from inside the house but outside. Drawing close to the front door, she could have sworn she heard the sound of someone galloping through puddles.

“Hey!” she exclaimed. “I thought we agreed that we could only hide inside the house!”

PLOP,PLOP,PLOP! The rain fell harder than ever outside. Apple Bloom hurried to the window to try and see who could be lurking around. Try as she might, she saw nothing but wet grounds and heard the wind howling. She turned back only to leap onto the kitchen counter with fright.

“You two could’ve said something!” she said, her heart racing.

“We did,” said a hurt Sweetie Belle. “But you just sat there staring out the window.”

“Oh, Sorry, I thought I heard somepony outside,” said Apple Bloom, calming down. “I must have just imagined it then.”

“I think we ought to stop for now,” said Sweetie Belle and added with a glare toward the orange Pegasus. “Some of us have already been scared.”

“How many times do I have to say I’m sorry!” said Scootaloo “Ok. The first scare was totally my fault, but the second was all on Apple Bloom! Like you said, we did call out to her.”

“Only after I told you not to sneak up behind her,” Sweetie Belle added frowning.

Scootaloo shrugged but agreed that the game wasn’t going to be much fun without more players anyway. The Crusaders headed back up the stairs all the while, Scootaloo questioned Apple Bloom on what she had heard outside.

“It sounded like somepony was out there,” said Apple Bloom. “But I guess I must have imagined…”

Suddenly right on cue, there was a flash of lightning and a knock came from the front door making all three fillies jump! The knocking, was soon replaced by the doorbell, and the three made their way down the staircase.

“What the?” exclaimed Sweetie Belle looking down the stairs to the front door. The three noticed a shadow of someone waiting outside.

“Should we go answer?” asked Scootaloo.

“Ah don’t think so. Applejack said not to answer the door for anypony while she and mah brother and Granny were out.” Replied Apple Bloom looking at the shadow that waited on the other side of the door.

For a while the shadow remained still, but as Scootaloo moved closer to the door, whomever was outside, laid something by the door and left.

“That was weird,” said Sweetie Belle. “Maybe it was the mailmare doing last minute runs before… Scootaloo, what…”

But Scootaloo had already made her way to the front door and unlocked it. Peering outside, she couldn’t tell if it was night or not. The overcast made Ponyville appear dark and cold. The heavy winds from before had calmed down a bit, but small gusts of wind plucked a few leaves dangling from the branches of the apple trees in the field. Looking down the dimly lit road, she saw no sign of anyone. Scootaloo looked up at the sky expecting to see a grey Pegasus flying away in the distance, but saw nothing but black clouds. She turned her attention to the ground. There lying by her hooves was a carefully wrapped package. Again, she expected to find a dent somewhere on the item given to it from the klutzy mailmare, but nothing of the sort had occurred. No damage on mail was certainly a first maybe someone else was out delivering at this time. Scootaloo made to hold the package up with her mouth and found it light in weight. Shrugging, she headed back inside closing the door behind her.

“Whatcha got there, Scootaloo?” inquired Sweetie Belle making her way down the stairs, with Apple Bloom following close behind.

“Package,” replied Scootaloo, struggling to speak, with a box dangling from her mouth.

She went into the living room, placing the mail down on the ground. Apple Bloom looked for an address or a card describing whom it was from, but nothing could be found. It appeared to be just a box wrapped in plain brown paper with no address or return address. Thinking that it must be a mistake Apple Bloom was about to suggest that they leave the matter alone, when Scootaloo made to untie the string.

“Hey!” she shrieked as the package was snatched up by Apple Bloom and placed on the table. “What gives Apple Bloom?”

“There’s no note or stamp attached to this mail,” said Apple Bloom.

“So?”

“So, it’s not ours! You can’t just open something that doesn’t belong to you!”

“What do we do then?” asked Sweetie Belle.

“I think it should be fine here until Applejack and the rest get back. So until then, nopony should open this package. Got that, Scootaloo?”

“Oh, come on Apple Bloom, you aren’t the least bit curious?”

“You said you were board right? So consider this a new game! The only difference is that the looser will probably get in trouble.”

“Fine, I got it. I won’t open the package.”

“Good, now how about we… Hey!”

Scootaloo poked the box hard and suddenly they heard something shift from inside, followed by something else. It started off faint but then it picked up. The three placed their ears to the wrapped box and heard what sounded like… drums? No, that couldn’t be right, drums playing all by themselves? Just then the drumming stopped and a new sound picked up.

“What? A music box?” questioned Scootaloo, pressing her ear against the box as hard as she could.

The tune continued to play, but just then, they shot up from their spots startled by another knock at the door, this time more forceful than the last.

“Oh for the love of… who could that be now?!” asked Apple Bloom marching over to the front door.

As she approached it, she saw a large shadow through the crack. Maybe it was the mailmare coming back to retrieve the package or maybe not. Voices could be heard as she drew closer to the door.

“Uh, Apple Bloom, come here,” said Scootaloo, a humorous grin spreading across her face. “Look who it is,”

Scootaloo began to snicker as the three looked out the window and saw, to their amazement, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon who were waiting by the front door. Their coats and hair were soaked and Silver Spoon carried a wet paper bag that looked like it could fall apart at any second.

“What do you think?” said Scootaloo to her friends.

“I don’t think that’s up for discussion,” said Sweetie Belle thoughtfully.

“Not up for discussion?!” repeated Scootaloo. “Is there any need for me to ask you guys a “Would you rather?” Look, think of it this way. Spend the rest of the storm board out of our minds or let those two come in and make us feel worse than we already do?”

“Your being ridiculous, Scootaloo,” said Sweetie Belle. “I doubt that Diamond Tiara or Silver Spoon would start anything in this weather.”

“Wouldn’t they?”

Shaking her head, Sweetie Belle headed over to the front door and opened it.

“I told you already Silver Spoon, Do you see anypony else out here?! Ah, at last, thank you for… On second thought, come on Silver. Lets try somewhere else.”

“Don’t let us stop you!” came Scootaloo’s voice from inside.

“Scootaloo!” snapped Sweetie Belle before calling out to the retreating backs of the two fillies. “Diamond, Silver wait, would you like to come on in? Its pretty bad outside right now.”

“Thanks, but we’ll take our chances,” said Diamond Tiara refusing to look at the white unicorn.

“Ok then, if you insist. I tried guys!”

“Diamond, wait. Maybe we should take her up on that offer,” said Silver Spoon.

“And stay with a Blank Flank for the rest of the storm. Not a chance!”

Just then another flash of lightening was seen and the two tensed up in fright as a loud crack of thunder followed behind. With the speed of a cheetah, Diamond reached the front door first and before she had even begun to knock it opened showing Sweetie Belle.

“May I take your bag, Silver?” she asked inviting them in.

Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara walked inside tracking in mud. Apple Bloom saw this and hurried to get towels for the new guests. Scootaloo was beside herself looking at the two fillies that have just entered her friends’ house.

“Is there something you want to say to my friends?” she inquired.

“Oh, right,” said Diamond Tiara excepting a dry towel. “Next time… I’ll be sure not to track mud in.”

“That’s not what I meant, but I suppose it’s a start.”

Now that Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were inside Apple Blooms house they looked around taking note of who else was there as well. Scootaloo saw a frown form on Diamonds face as she saw that all three Crusaders were present. Her eyes caught sight of the package lying on the table and headed over.

“What is this?” she asked

“I thought you would know what mail looks like when you see it, Diamond,” said Scootaloo.

“Scootaloo!” exclaimed Sweetie Belle, but Diamond’s eyes flashed dangerously toward the orange Pegasus.

“I know a box when I see one Blank Flank!” Diamond shot back. “What I mean is what’s inside it?”

“No idea,” said Scootaloo plainly.

“Really? You haven’t opened it yet? Could it be, that just like your failure to fly, you also... ”

“The Package was a mistake!” spoke Apple Bloom before Diamond could add the finishing blow. “You know, got delivered here by accident.”

“I see,” said Silver Spoon. “Lost mail, eh? Why are all the lights off? It’s not night time yet is it?”

“We were playing a game before you showed up,” said Sweetie Belle

Diamond and Scootaloo were still staring daggers at each other when Diamond’s ears twitched and she started to look around as if something was next to her.

“What’s that sound?”

“It’s still doing that?” asked Scootaloo, forgetting her anger for a moment.

“What are you talking about?” said Diamond.

“The package was making sounds before you two showed up. Is it still doing it?”


“Don’t you hear it?” asked Silver Spoon.

“I hear nothin’,” said Apple Bloom making her way to the table, but stopped when she too heard the sound.

It started off faint, but then it became clear to everyone. The sound of drums playing was no longer coming from the box, but from the basement. They stood in silence listening to the rhythm the drums were giving off. The cool breeze from the overhead fan stopped as another flash of lightening shone from outside, followed by thunder. The only light from upstairs went out, leaving the house in total darkness. Silver Spoon approached the basement door and opened it. The drums continued to play from below. She made to flip the switch but no lights came on.

“The Power must have gone out,” she said to the other fillies behind her.

Scootaloo approached the steps and seeing that everyone was waiting for her to make the first move, she took a deep breath before heading down the steps. Apple Bloom followed her down with a lantern she held in her mouth. Soon, everyone else followed and together they searched the basement for the source of the noise. Still, the drumming continued even as they searched high and low for the sound. As Silver Spoon looked behind the steps the drumming grew faint and when she backed away the volume picked up again.

“Where is it coming from?” asked Apple Bloom.

“I don’t know,” said Scootaloo.

“This is all very funny you three, but the jokes over!” said Diamond aloud.

“What are you talking about?” demanded Scootaloo.

“Come on Blank Flanks, enough is enough! Tell us where the speakers are hidden!”

“We aint doin anything!” said Apple Bloom starting to get mad.

“Well, somepony is!” said Diamond mockingly. “And when we find the trick we…”

But what she and Silver Spoon would have done they never found out. Just then the drums created a loud bang making all five fillies scream as the rhythm quickened. The fillies rushed back upstairs to where the sound’s volume had increased. As Scootaloo hurried over to the package the drums came to a stop.

“Apple Bloom, I know you said not to, but I just got to know what’s making that sound.”

“No, Scootaloo! We mustn’t open what isn’t ours!” said Apple Bloom.

“After hearing all of that, there’s no way you're not curious, too! Come on, if I can open it, maybe I can find a way to make it stop. Maybe I accidently pressed something when I poked it.”

“Step aside,” said Diamond. “I’ll open it.”

“I wouldn’t do that,” said Apple Bloom.

It was too late. Diamond had already untied the string and was tearing away at the wrappings. The box was the only thing remaining now.

“Silver, find me something to get the tape off,” ordered Diamond.

Silver Spoon came back as second later with scissors held in her mouth. Diamond took them and pierced a hole where the tape was holding the box closed at the top. Once she was done cutting the tape loose she opened the box that emitted a strong glow of light. Even Apple Bloom was in aw as she and Sweetie Belle approached the table. The glow died out and inside the package was a small chest. Diamond took the chest out of the box and placed it on the table for everyone to see.

“Is that it?” asked Scootaloo a little disappointed.

“What did you expect?” asked Diamond, raising an eyebrow.
“Something to come flying out once I opened it?”

“Maybe,”

Diamond flipped the closure on the chest and opened it. A music box laid inside. They saw the crank that would make music play once it was wound. Diamond took the music box and showed it to Sweetie Belle who looked questioningly at her.

“Well what are you waiting for, use your magic to turn the handle!”

“You could’ve asked nicely,” Sweetie Belle grumbled and concentrated on the handle.

Nothing happened.

“Huh, figures,” said Diamond grinning wickedly. “I thought you wouldn’t be able to. Very well, I’ll do it.”

Using her hoof she turned the handle twice, three times and let it go the handle turned backwards playing a soft tune.

“No drums,” said Silver

“Yes, but we heard this music box, too,” said Scootaloo.

“Well, I’m satisfied,” said Diamond shrugging off the odd experience.

“Don’t you want to know where the drumming was coming from?” asked Apple Bloom.

“I already know where it was coming from, but you three won’t admit that you’re behind it. Now, if you excuse me, Silver stay down here with the Blank Brigade as long as you like, but I’m going to take a nap. Apple Bloom, you don’t mind if I crash in your room? Of course you don’t, later losers.”

The four remaining fillies stared at the staircase where Diamond had gone up and continued to inspect the music box a while longer before they too had had enough and were growing tired, they too found spots to lay down and rest. Silver Spoon took the lantern Apple Bloom was using and went upstairs to join Diamond.

“Can’t say I didn’t warn you guys but…”

“That will do Scootaloo!” came Apple Bloom’s annoyed voice from the kitchen as she searched for another lantern.

“Why did you have to let them in Sweetie Belle?”

“I thought they wouldn’t try anything at a time like this.” said Sweetie Belle innocently.

“Yeah, it’s not looking that way now, is it.”

“Relax Scootaloo. After the storm is gone, they will be, too. Now, let’s get some rest.”

“I hope your family’s ok out there,” said Sweetie Belle.

“Yeah, they should be fine,” said Apple Bloom. “They probably got held up in the market and are stuck there until the storm clears.”



The five fillies slept for quite some time after that. The dark house was all quit except for the patting of rain on the roof and occasional snores coming from upstairs. The opened box was flipped over on the floor. The chest and music box lay open on the table undisturbed. Apple Bloom awoke thinking that she heard something coming from the basement. Seeing that the door was still open, she drowsily walked over to it and pushed it closed. Although, she couldn’t see it, something made the air around her go cold. She could see her breath as she exhaled. When she left the spot, the air became warm again.

“Weird.” She thought to herself as she dropped back onto the couch.


Upstairs, Diamond Tiara slept on Apple Blooms bed While Silver Spoon had just left the floor to go to the bathroom. Diamond turned in her sleep only to hear a familiar sound coming from somewhere in the room. She turned again, groaning, this time the noise grew louder. Diamond shot up from bed and looked around.

“Nice, Silver.” She said smirking. “Really nice, you found the speakers haven’t you? Well, come on, let me see it and maybe it’s time for a little payback…”

EEEEeeeeeeeek!

The Closet door opened and Diamond stared into it.

“Ok, Silver, that’s enough you got me, now come on out!”

Just then a toilet flushed from the barthroom and Silver came back rubbing her eyes.

“I got you how?” she asked yawning.

Diamonds eyes shrank as she and Silver heard the sound of the music box coming from inside the closet.

“Did you bring the music box up here with you!” she hissed over to a just as nervous Silver Spoon.

“No,” Silver replied.

The music played on as Diamond approached the closet and reached inside looking for the box. At last her hoof touched it and the music stopped.

“I got it!” she said. “Now, lets get back at the Blank Fl… AAAAAahhh!”

Diamond withdrew her hoof from the closet and shaking like a leaf, she and diamond backed away as the song picked up again.

“What happened?” inquired Silver looking just as terrified.

“There’s something in there with it!” Diamond shouted back.

“Would you two keep it down up here?” said a sleepy Scootaloo from behind making them jump.

“You!” Diamond pointed an accusing hoof at the dazed Pegasus. “You did this!”

“Did what?”

“Forget it! Just take your music box and get out of here!”

“Music Box?”

“Yes! The Music Box from downstairs! Take it and leave!”

“What are you talking abou… Hey what the…”

Scootaloo pulled out the music box that was still playing. Now fully awake, Scootaloo couldn’t believe it. The Music Box was downstairs on the table last she checked, so how could it have gotten up here? Diamond Tiara let out a small whimper as she and Silver Spoon backed out of the room.

“What’s gotten into you two?”

Silver pointed at the handle where something small was hanging on to it cackling madly.

“AAHH!”

She tossed the music box aside where it landed on Apple Blooms bed. The small creature hanging onto the handle let go tumbling onto the bedspread, clutching its stomach as it roared with laughter. Scootallo stared down at the strange little man. He was only two inches tall with a long hooked nose, squinty blue eyes and a bald head which accentuated the white tuffs of hair above each ear. It’s toothpick like arms and legs beat the bedclothes as his laughing continued. When it spotted the three fillies it stared at them sheepishly before snapping its fingers, and with a small crack, it vanished.

“What was that thing!” squeaked Diamond close to tears.

“I don’t know!” said Scootaloo “Where…”

But just then, two screams came from down stairs! Scootaloo pushed her way past Silver and Diamond and rushed down skipping two steps at a time. When she reached her friends, she saw that the lights were flickering on and off. Pots and pans were being flung at the scared fillies hiding behind the couch.

“Scootaloo, what’s going on?!” screamed Sweetie Belle ducking as another pot was flung at her!

“I don’t know!” replied Scootaloo from the bottom of the stairs. “But I think Diamond and Silver found out what was making all the noise!”

“What ever it is, its messing up the kitchen!” shouted Apple Bloom as from somewhere out of sight, something shattered.

“What is that thing?!” squeaked Sweetie Belle poking out from behind the side of the couch to see the small creature dancing on top of a turned over pot and waving his hands around lazily as more things levitated and hurled themselves around the kitchen. When it saw her it snapped its fingers again and vanished. Everything that was once hovering in mid air came falling down with a tremendous crash! Apple Bloom darted to the now messy kitchen. An open container of milk was dripping the last of its contents on the floor, flower bags lay scattered on the top of shelves and pots, pans, plates and cups were either cracked or broken.

“Is it over!?” Diamond called out to Scootaloo.

“I don’t think so!” said Scootaloo. “We got to catch that thing somehow before… Hey, where do you think you’re going?!”

“At first I thought you three were strange enough, but now I see what kind of things you keep around your house, you’re not just weird you’re a bunch of freaks!”

“May I remind you that you are the one that opened the package in the first place Diamond!” spat Scootaloo “It’s just as much your fault as it is mine for bringing the package inside!”

“Yeah, well… Next time you’ll know better!”

And before Scootaloo could make a move toward the two bullies, Diamond picked up a pot lying by her hooves and stared at Scootaloo threateningly.

“Stay Back! I’m warning you, Blank Flank, I’m armed! Now if you’ll excuse us, we’re leaving! Silver, the door if you please.”

Silver Spoon made to turn the doorknob, but it wouldn’t budge. Silver tried again, this time using all her strength to force the door open. It had absolutely no effect other than tiring her out. Diamond gave Silver the pan and tried herself, but failed.

“I think what ever that thing is, it has already made the decision for you. Now, I can’t believe I’m actually going to say this, but are you going to help us catch it or not.”

“What?” Diamond asked taken aback by this.

“Well, what about it? Are you because… we might need an extra pair of eyes for the search.”

The Cutie Mark Crusaders went back upstairs to get some pillows and in no time they came back down tossing four extra’s at Diamond and Silver before they disappeared in the kitchen. Moments later they came out geared with pots and pans that were strapped onto the pillows around their bodies like a full suit of armor and colanders as helmets.

“Go on!” said Apple Bloom tossing the two perplexed fillies pots and pans of their own. “Gear up! We’re about to start hunting this thing down!”

“If you think we are going to put that ridiculous excuse for protection on then…”

A sudden giggle of high-pitched laughter made Diamond rethink her statement and in a few more minutes all five fillies were geared up and ready to begin the hunt. Apple Bloom went down stairs to the basement alone, leaving Sweetie Belle with Silver Spoon to check out the rest of the kitchen and living room while Diamond Tiara and Scootaloo began their search upstairs. Diamond made Scootaloo check back inside Apple Bloom’s room while she investigated Big Mac’s. Sootaloo avoided the Music box altogether while she checked behind the cabinet, under the bed and finally inside the closet. Both sides came out empty handed as they continued their search in the remaining bedrooms. It didn’t take too long before Scootaloo’s door slammed shut on her and Diamond was lifted from the floor screaming like a banshee. Her makeshift helmet fell to the floor with a clang and she was thrown out of the room colliding into the wall and slid down completely in shock. At the same time, a surge of anger for being jumped like that made her forget about her fear and she stood up. Marching her way to the closed door Scootaloo was pounding on. She opened it and put a hoof to Scootaloo’s mouth to quiet her

“I found it!”

There was something about Diamond’s attitude that made Scootaloo retreat several steps before she allowed herself to be led to Big Mac’s room. Diamond picked up her colander and placed it back on her head before looking up at the ceiling where she had just been hoisted.

“Very clever!” she snapped at the empty spot. “Yes, very funny! Sneaking up behind me like that, well two can play at this game! NO MORE MRS.NICE PONY!”

“Diamond…” said Scootaloo unsure if she should approach the raging pink pony.

“What?!” Diamond shot back.

“I think it’s gone,”

“Well then, shall we look elsewhere? Oh, when I get my hooves on that little creep…”

She stormed out of the room muttering angrily under her breath. Scootaloo kept her distance just incase Diamond might mistake her for the creature if she got too close. Just as the two were about to reach the top of the stairs they felt the house shake and in matter of seconds they felt it lift and before any one of them could cry out, the house flipped upside down.

“See?” said Scootaloo, smiling away the shock of standing on the ceiling. “Bet you’re glad you decided to wear this silly get up now, huh?”

“Oh, shut up!” Diamond snapped. “Lets just figure out a way to get to the others.”

They made their way across the ceiling until they spotted the rest of their group, already discussing a plan of action. Sweetie Belle, Silver Spoon and Apple Bloom were covered in flower. Silver Spoon’s glasses were cracked and bent awkwardly on one side.

“This is gettin’ out of hoof!” yelled Apple Bloom before sneezing.

“I know,” agreed Scootaloo. “If we don’t do something fast who knows what else that thing might do!”

“We saw it back in the kitchen,” said Silver Spoon, wiping her glasses clean with a napkin. “When Sweetie Belle and I went to grab it, it snapped its fingers and exploded the flower bags.”

“Ah came back up the stairs incase they needed help when the basement door slammed behind me,” grumbled Apple Bloom.

“Then that’s where we have to go,” said Diamond looking determined.

“How?” asked Silver, noting the difficulty of the predicament.

Before they could figure out how to reach the door handle the house began to tilt. They felt themselves sliding from one part of the house to the next. All the while, the mad laughter echoed from inside the basement.

“Almost… Got it… No, Ah missed!”

“I got it!” squeaked Sweetie Belle.

She held on tight to the doorknob as she felt herself being grabbed by the tail, then another sharp tug, then another! The Crusaders and company held onto each others tails as Sweetie Belle made to open the door. It worked, but she found herself on the opposite end as the house tilted again and she collided into the wall and was pinned against it by the now opened door. The rest of her group flung themselves down the basement. Sweetie Belle clutched the door and slid between the gap and let go just as the house made the door swing shut. She let go and landed on top of a recovering Diamond Tiara.

“Thanks for breaking my fall,” she said rubbing her head.

Diamond only groaned in response. The house turned one last time before landing right side up. The Creature giggled happily rocking back and forth on a shelf before standing up and staring down at the fillies before it.

“Alright this is it,” said Scootaloo. “What’s the plan?”

“What plan? So far, all I was focused on was getting down here!” muttered Silver.

“What?!”

“Leave it to me, girls,” whispered Sweetie Belle and she crept off to the side.

The Creature eyed the four remaining ponies and cracked its fingers before giving them a look that simply said, “Come at me!” At once the fillies surrounded the creature and in a split seconds time they attacked! Scootaloo dove first but the creature snapped its fingers and disappeared, only to reappear on top of her helmet after she had crashed into wall. Apple Bloom charged next only to be levitated and thrown crashing into Silver Spoon. It was just Diamond Tiara and the creature now. The creature leaped off Scootaloos head and they glared at each other before Diamond sighed and took off her colander helmet and said in a bored tone.

“You know what I can’t stand? I hate being jumped. It’s ridiculous to sneak up on somepony. You did that to me upstairs and I don’t take to kindly to being scared. So, with all that being said, do you know what they call what I’m doing right now?”

The Creature looked beyond confused and scratched its temple before looking up to see a glass cylinder fall on top of him!

“A Diversion! Ha! Who’s laughing now!?”

“Good job girls!” squeaked Sweetie Belle happily. “You kept him busy long enough for me to get this!”

“Great, but what is it? It just looks like any ordinary jar to me,” said Scootaloo rubbing her head.

“It’s what I see my sister use all the time when ever she’s wants to reuse left over fabric. It’s supposed to have an unbreakable spell on it!”

“And how’s that supposed to help if that thing can just go anywhere it wants in a snap?”

“Something tells me that he won’t be doing anymore mischief for today,” said Sweetie Belle.

When they looked at the jar, the creature inside paced the small space he was trapped in and tapped the glass and mimed something to them.

“I think he wants me to let him go,” said Sweetie Belle.

“NO!!!” the rest of her group cried out in unison.

But the creature inside the jar tapped on the glass again and preformed all the motions of a pinkie promise.

“Sounds good to me!” Sweetie Belle said lifting the jar up and carried it back upstairs before anyone could object.

Sure enough, once Sweetie Belle brought the jar over to the table where the chest lay open, the creature snapped its fingers and disappeared once again. But to everyone’s surprise except Sweetie Belles, the creature reappeared in front of the chest with the music box lying beside him. He hopped into the chest and waited for Sweetie Belle to place the music box inside with him and close the chest locking it back from the outside.

“How did ya’ll know you could trust it?” asked Apple Bloom.

“I didn’t,” replied Sweetie Belle. “Sometimes you just have to trust what others say they will do.”

“That’s great and all, but… do ya think he coulda fixed everything before yah put him back?”

Apple Bloom was eyeing the house in disbelief. So many things were out of place and the shattered glass around the floor was just the least of their worries. There came a knock from inside the chest. Sweetie Belle opened it and the little creature inside hoisted himself up. The Fillies mouths dropped when the creature waved his hands around and sent everything soaring back to their proper places, as if they had never left, leaving only the piles of powder, broken eggs and shattered glass and plates behind. It lowered itself back into its home and closed the chest on himself with another wave of his hand.

“Wow, but that’s not everything,” said Apple Bloom.

“We can handle the rest,” said Sweetie Belle. “You did say place everything back, not sweep the floor or wipe the counter.”

When Apple Blooms older siblings and grandmother returned they found the five fillies hard at work cleaning the floor.

“We’re back, Apple Bloom! What in tarnation are ya’ll doin’?”

“Careful!” said Diamond Tiara scrubbing the kitchen counter with a wet towel. “I just mopped there!”

“OK. I’ll ask again, Apple Bloom, what are ya’ll doin?”

“Cleaning,” said her little sister finishing rewrapping the box that had the dangerous chest in it.

“I can see that,” said Applejack watching the four other fillies before pulling her little sister aside. “What are you doin hanging out with Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon? I thought you didn’t get along?”

“It’s a long story,” said Apple Bloom. “But, do you see that box behind us?”

“What box?”

“The box right behind... What?! But it was right here a second ago!”

“You’re kidding? It’s gone?!” Scootaloo said, shooting up from the floor. “Where did it go?”

“Did Ah miss somethin’?” asked Applejack.

“Scoot…” began Diamond, but then said, “I mean, I opened a package that arrived at your doorstep and some type of creature came out of it,”

“I see, so, did it cause a mess?” Asked Granny Smith taking note of the missing powder bags.

“You have no idea,” said Diamond.

“And did it have a habit of vanishing once it was seen?”

“Yes, but how do you know?”

“Aw come now young’un. Do you think ya’ll are the only ones to see an Imp?”

“A what?”

“An Imp. They’re quite harmless, but they are mischievous and do love pranks!”

“Harmless?” said Scootaloo “It would have destroyed this house if we didn’t catch it!”

“Well, I’m glad you did that, little filly!” said Granny Smith happily. “At least you don’t have to worry about it anymore. They are usually good at going back tot their homes once they’ve been caught. You see, to them its all a big game they’re playin!”

The five fillies sunk to the floor sighing as Apple Jack and Big Mac exchanged looks of confusion.



Once the storm had passed, the Cutie Mark Crusaders escorted Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon outside to the gate of the yard.

“Thanks for helpin’ us back there” said Apple Bloom holding out a hoof for Diamond to take. “Ah’d say we make a good team when ya aint being mean to us.”

Diamond looked like she might take her hoof, but then her old self came back.

“Are you kidding me?! After what you three put us through, there is no way we would ever team up with you! Do everypony a favor and keep the Crusading business to yourselves from now on! Come on Silver, we’re leaving!”

Silver followed behind Diamond Tiara, both of them turned back once they reached the end of the now muddy dirt road and shouted in unison.

“Blank Flanks!”

“You know something girls, she’s right,” said Apple Bloom.

“She is?” asked Sweetie Belle.

“Yeah, we will never team up with them again! And as for our Crusadin’, we have accomplished one of the things on our list! Since that Imp is a paranormal creature, we are able to start The Cutie Mark P.I.C. if we want to!”

Meanwhile, in Canterlot, Princess Celestia was busy finishing up a letter for Princess Cadence and Shining Armor, when there was a loud pop and a wrapped box appeared and fell to the floor at her hooves.

“Another mail delivery?” she said aloud looking at the package. “What’s this, no address or stamps? Luna, did you order something from those magazines again?”

She eyed the package again, for a brief moment before shrugging and leaving the letter and mail behind, so she could find her sister. As her long flowing tail disappeared from sight, a faint drumming sound began to pound away from inside the package and soon it stopped leaving only a high pitched giggle to follow.

Comments ( 14 )
Comment posted by The Vault Tech deleted Oct 28th, 2014
Comment posted by tales deleted Oct 28th, 2014
Comment posted by The Vault Tech deleted Oct 28th, 2014
Comment posted by tales deleted Oct 28th, 2014
Comment posted by Mudpony deleted Oct 28th, 2014
Comment posted by tales deleted Oct 28th, 2014

imps most annoying pests of the world

6114949 They are a tricky and evasive bunch that is for sure.

6207028 ya i hate dealing with them

I would just like to point out that your summary says "unlikely" when they are pretty much the only ones you could have chosen.

Also, the imp seemed to be a discord-in-training. Just saying.

mmm....i can only imagine the hilarity that will ensue with its next victims...

BTW, a very well done reading of this story was done by the talented Emogak:

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

The imp was a neat idea, but I wish you hadn't spent so much of the story telling us things we already know. :/

Login or register to comment