• Published 30th Jan 2014
  • 511 Views, 1 Comments

Stick Around - broniefrom93



Gray Armor has been sent to check up on Twilight's studies but now he owes her a life debt. Turns out he will need to stick around a while.

  • ...
11
 1
 511

Stick Around

Arriving in Ponyville, Gray Armor stepped off the train after a long ride from Canterlot. Somewhat familiar with the town from when he escorted Princess Celestia at the last Sun Celebration, he made his way to the town library and residency of Twilight Sparkle. His last visit here was a bittersweet memory at his failure to protect his princess but was glad at the return of Princess Luna.

Gray Armor passed corner and could now see the library. A cyan Pegasus was flying ahead when she saw Gray Armor's approach to the library. Curious, she flew down below and stopped over him and asked, “Hey, you headed to the library? Cause Twi isn’t there right now.”

Coming to a halt, Gray Armor replied “Yes I was headed there but can you direct me to where is right now?”

“Yeah I think she said something about going to the Everfree forest to study something or other. She said ‘study’ and I started to zone out,” she explained, “Why do you need to see her anyways?”

“I’ve come on Princess Celetia’s behalf as there was an emergency she needed to attend to but she still wanted to check on Twilight Sparkle’s studies,” he answered.

“Oh that’s cool I guess? Want me to help you find her?” she offered.

“I think I can manage to find her but thank you for the offer,” he humbly declined. The mare took off as he changed directions to the entrance of the forest. Being a normal earth pony had nothing special to itself and this created a humbling effect on them all as they did not take anything for granted.

This was especially true for Gray Armor as he grew up in a small house and his family had to work hard to earn everything they had. He had to work through school and being accepted to the royal guard was his biggest accomplishment to date and he always owes it to his parents for how they raised him. Reminiscing his past came to a stop as he found the entrance and saw Twilight’s tracks.

Using his skills that he had learned from his training, he began to follow her tracks in hopes of finding her. The light was starting to grow dim as he made his way in the thicker parts of the forest. Why anything out here would be worth studying is beyond him but it was his duty to find her, so find her he would.

The hoof prints led to a semi-circle clearing at the base of a cliff. There was no hope of getting to the top as he had no equipment and was too high and steep to do on his own. Twilight must have used her teleportation magic to reach the top and her reputation preceded her. Sighing at his loss, he turned around to just wait at the library for her return. This would delay his return to Canterlot but it was out of his control at this point.

As he turned around he began to hear rustling in the brush surrounding the clearing. He couldn’t pinpoint where it was coming from as it sounded to be coming from all directions. He prepared himself for whatever may come out of the bushes but was surprised when twenty timberwolves came out and completely surrounded him.

It may have been hopeless for Gray Armor but he was ready for a fight regardless. Before the timberwolves could attack, Gray Armor heard a shout from atop the cliff from a female voice that yelled “Shut your eyes!” He did as he was told and shut his eyes and looked down. Even through his shut eyelids he saw the glare of purple light illuminate the clearing. When he opened his eyes all the timber wolves were dazed and shaking their heads from the light.

With a flash of purple light, Twilight Sparkle herself appeared in front of Gray Armor. She turned to him and said “Quick take my hoof!” Again following her instructions he grabbed her hoof. As soon he did there was another flash of purple light and they were at the entrance to the forest. He stumbled slightly to gain his balance; teleportation was not a regular occurrence for him.

“Sorry for the sudden teleport, but I had to get us out of there. Why were in the forest anyways?” Twilight asked.

After dusting himself off her answered, “I was actually looking for you and I was not expecting to run into any trouble. Thank you for saving me though, I owe you my life.”

“It’s ok anyone would have done the same, please don’t flatter me. But what do you need me for?” she said.

“My apologies let me first introduce myself. I’m Gray Armor of the royal guard sent on behalf of Princess Celestia who had an emergency she had to attend to and wanted a status update on your studies,” he said with a bow.

“Oh well I haven’t prepared any letters yet but my magical studies are going well. I’ve learned a new spell that allows me to breathe underwater for a limited time. I was actually using it right now to gather some samples of a plant that only grows at the bottom of a lake in the Everfree Forest. I ran over as soon as I heard a pack of timberwolves,” she explained.

“Were you able to gather enough samples before you had to save me?” he asked her.

“I have enough to run a few test but I’ll need to go back before too long in order to run more test, oh my apologies. No need to talk here in front of the forest. We can talk over a cup of tea at the library,” she suggested and began to lead the way.

They continued to talk, or rather Twilight talked about this new plant she found and what she thinks it will able to do. Her first thoughts were medical and she went on about how she was going to run the experiments. Gray Armor was fine with just listening as most of what she said was beyond him but it was interesting to see her discuss it in such detail and enthusiasm.

He had heard stories of her from when she saved the Princesses and her defeat of Discord. It had made her feel like she was larger than life but now that he had a chance to meet up with her in person she is much more relatable.

They arrived at the library shortly and entered the building. She went straight to the kitchen to prepare some tea for the pair. It appeared that her assistant Spike was absent at the moment as Gray Armor couldn’t see him. Gray Armor looked around and saw that the library was neat and very well organized. The loft could be seen from the main area and he could see a desk covered in an organized mess of papers and quills.

“So since I haven’t prepared any letters would you like me to send one in or wait for her return?” Twilight asked as she set down a tea cup for each of them. They were aglow with her magic and one was released for Gray to have.

“Since you don’t have one prepared I believe that if you just mail it normally when you are ready than you will be fine,” Gray answered while he took a sip of his tea. It was gray earl with a hint of honey in it.

“Ok that sounds good, so will you be leaving tomorrow than?” She asked as she looked outside to the setting sun and the train wouldn’t have any more runs that day.

“I do not have any pressing matters that I cannot hold off with a letter to the guard, as like I said I am indebted to you as you have saved my life. I will not take this lightly. Please allow me to stick around and help you with anything you need,” Gray Armor explained.

At first Twilight was taken aback and was speechless. She had heard of life debts but thought it to be an old practice that had died out in modern society but she had a live example in front of her. She opened and closed her mouth as she couldn’t think of what to say. Spike had been very busy, evidence as to why he was currently absent, but to have a pony as her assistant? Let alone a pony of the royal guard. She couldn’t ask it of him but it wasn’t her to ask. She needed to answer him and he looked nervous.

“Um sure, you can serve out your life debt. But where will you stay and I really won’t have much for you to do other than run menial errands,” she replied with a concerned look on her face.

“I will stay at the town inn and have it taken care of by the royal guard funds. Any tasks you may have I will be sure to fulfill them,” he answered with a ready tone in his voice. He had nearly finished his tea and set the cup down. “What is your schedule usually like and would you like breakfast to be made for you?”

“I…uh…no, I usually have Spike or myself make breakfast so no need for you to do that. I’ll keep Spike around and will probably have you do errands from around town. I’ll be up a little while after dawn but you can take your time. No need to rush over here as soon as you wake up,” she said and likewise finished her own tea.

Gray made his way to the door and Twilight escorted him to the door. “Thank you once again for saving my life and I promise to hold true to my life debt,” Gray commented before he left.

“Please don’t mention it, but I guess you always will with a life debt…regardless, have a good evening and I will see you tomorrow,” she said back. She closed the door and thought that the day could have only gotten weirder if Discord was about doing what he does best. Having another pony as an assistant living out a life debt will be odd. He seemed like a nice enough fellow and was near her age, he looked young but the life of a guard has surely given him experience beyond his years. With a sigh she went to her lab to put away what samples she was able to gather that day and with a heavy heart had a lot to think about.

Gray Armor was on his way to the local Inn when he immediately froze in place. He had just made a life debt to a pony that he had just met. Granted she did save his life but even then not many ponies in his family had given a life debt let alone one to a complete stranger. He couldn’t complain too much thought because Twilight was a very important mare of this era. Still he couldn’t shake the feeling that there was more to this life debt then the simple promise to one that had saved his life.

In the early dawn of the day, Gray Armor woke up around when he usually would back at the barracks. Since there was no formation for him to attend to he went on a run to clear his mind from the previous day’s confusion. After having been in the guard for a few years, being accepting right out of high school, he had trained to be very physically fit.

He was running around the outskirts when he saw the cyan pegasus from yesterday flying above him. She flew low and slowed her pace so he could keep up and asked, “Hey did you ever find Twi?”

“Yes I did…but it’s going to be a little longer than just a check up on her studies,” he said between breaths while being able to maintain his pace.

“Um… why is that?” she asked as she gave him a puzzled look and slowed down to his pace.

“When I was looking for her in the forest I was ambushed by timberwolves and then Twilight Sparkle saved me. In doing so, I now have a life debt to her and must help her as much as I can until the debt is paid,” he said as he continued to run.

“Oh wow, um yeah that is going to be a bit longer. I didn’t know ponies still did life debt things,” she said while turning on her side to face him.

“Yes it is a bit out dated and old fashioned but it’s a tradition that my family has stuck to since it was first created. It’s something we don’t take lightly and I promise I won’t over stay my welcome. I do not wish to cause any trouble,” he said and reaching the inn he slowed down to a stop.

“Well if you’re going to be in town longer than I should introduce myself, I’m Rainbow Dash. Best flyer in Ponyville and soon to be all of Equestria,” she said slowing down with him.

“Pleasure to meet you Rainbow Dash, I’ve heard of your accomplishments and I hope to make my stay a pleasant one. Have a good day,” he replied as he went into the inn to prepare for the day.

As he his getting ready for the day Gray Armor thought to himself as to exactly how long this life debt will take. He has some leave he had built up since he joined the guard but that was only going to last so long. Plus he couldn’t use the guard to pay for this whole trip. There used to be laws that covered a guard living out a life debt but he wasn’t sure if they were still around or how it would help him.

With this on his mind he wrote a letter back to barracks explaining what had happened, asking if those laws were still in place, and if they’d be able to help him. He knew that he would serve out this life debt but how could he show Twilight his gratitude for saving him. He can run errands like she had said but those are small and would actually take a life time to serve out his debt.

Maybe he could go back to Canterlot and owe her a favor. But as soon as this idea passed his head, Gray immediately shook it out as that wasn’t an option at all. He had already made this promise and he wouldn’t let her down. “I guess I’ll stick around her for a while,” he said to himself.

Making his way to the library, he saw Spike outside taking out some trash. “Hello there, you must be Spike. Pleasure to meet you,” said Gray Armor.

“And you must be Gray Armor, you know you might be an assistant to Twilight now but I’ll always be her number one assistant!” Spike proclaimed.

With a chuckle Gray replied, “Oh but of course, I wouldn’t want to take that title away from you. I’ll just be here as long as I need to.” He had said that a lot at this point, and he still wasn’t sure exactly how long he would be staying. Twilight had opened the door to see what was taking Spike so long. She saw Gray and a flash of confusion on her face as she was still shocked at the turn of events from yesterday.

“Hello there Gray Armor-” she started, when Gray Armor interrupted and said “Please, Ray is just fine.”

“Well um… Ray, good morning. How was the inn?” she asked.

“The inn was good and I ran into Rainbow Dash this morning. She is quite the athlete,” he remarked.

“Of course she is! She is one of the best flyers in all of Equestria!” chimed in Spike.

Both Twilight and Ray laughed at this and noticed each other. Both quickly stopped and cleared their throats. Twilight looked to him and said “I need some supplies from the notary; I have a list and some bits for you to get what I need.” She went inside and Spike followed her inside. He gave Ray a look and two claws at his eyes and then at Ray. Twilight came back outside with a saddlebag that had a scroll and some bits in its pouches.

She put it onto Ray’s back and it tingled with her magic making his hairs stand up until she released the saddlebags from her control. Ray double checked the contents before speaking to Twilight, “How soon do you need these items?”

“There is no rush, and I even added a few bits so you could have lunch while you’re out. Please enjoy Ponyville and try to see the sights. I don’t have much for you to do today so please take your time,” she replied.

“Will do,” he said with some enthusiasm. He turned around and started to head into town. Twilight went back into the library and went into her study. She was reading on some potential uses of the plant she had gathered. It was related to some of the plants in that book but most of these guesses were a shot in the dark.

‘Gray Armor or rather Ray would be helpful but there really isn’t much that I myself or Spike couldn’t do ourselves. One of the reasons I wanted him to take his time was because I actually didn’t have much else he can do other than test my potions and none of them are ready.’ She thought to herself. With a sigh she tried to forget him and go back to her studies but she couldn’t completely chase him from her thoughts

Ray had made into the main part of the town and was looking around for the notary store. He hadn’t made it very far into town until a flash of pink filled his vision and stopped in place. After he stopped in his tracks and a pink pony with a fluffy mane bounced in front of him. Her next words were too fast for Ray to follow, “OhhithereareyounewtotownI’veneveerseenyouherebeforesoyoumustbenewhere,andyoulooklikeaguardsoareyouaguardfromCanterlotWhatareyoudoinghere,doyouneedhelpwithsomethingWaitwherearemymannersI’mPinkiePieandI’mfriendswitheveryonehereintownsoIcanshowyouanythingoranyoneyoumightneed!!”

Dazed and confused, Ray shook his head and helplessly looked at her and simply said, “What?”

She giggled and said it all again but slower this time so he could hear each word. “Sorry I’m trying to find the fastest I can talk while still having people understand me. Seems I still need to slow it down a smidge,” she explained.

“Oh well the answer to your questions is yes, yes, business on behalf of Princess Celestia, and yes can you direct me to the local stationary store and a good place to eat in town?” replied Ray.

“The store is just up the road on the right and the second one is easy, Sugarcube Corner is an award winning bakery that will surely have something to fill up your tummy!” she said.

“Thank you and its Pinkie Pie correct?” said Ray.

“YUPYUPYUP!!” she answered. “If you ever need help just call me and I’ll be right over!”

Ray thanked her once again and she bounced off to do whatever it is she needed to do. Certainly an eccentric pony to say the least but she was helpful. Sure enough just a little down the road there was the stationary store on the right. The store clerk was very helpful and actually had a special reserve strictly for Twilight as she was one of his biggest customers.

With Twilight’s supplies in the saddlebags, Ray went out of the store and immediately realized he had no idea where Sugarcube Corner was located. With a sigh he made a right to keep walking down what seemed to be a main street. After walking for a while and reaching the other side of town he knew he wouldn’t be able to just wonder around and find this store. With a sigh he looked around and said “Pinkie Pie I need help.”

No sooner as he had said that he saw another flash of pink and there she was bouncing in front of him once again. She spoke fast again but this time he was able to keep up, “Did you find what you needed from the stationary store? Were you able to find Sugarcube Corner and have a delicious milkshake or even an apple turnover? What did you need help with?”

“Yes, no, and that’s actually what I needed help with. I don’t know where it is or how to get there. Could you show me the way to get there?” Ray replied and asked.

“Of course I can, it’s this way!” she said bouncing off an alley way. Ray wanted to say something about her directions being a little sketchy but he had already learned better than to question her judgment. It didn’t take very long for them to arrive at the bakery and she even lead the way into the store and went straight behind the counter. “So what can I get you?” she asked with a big smile.

“Wait you work here?” Ray asked with a puzzled look on his face.

“Of course I do! I love sweets and I love to make them so what other place would I work at? Maybe a candy shop but desserts are so much more funner to make!” she exclaimed.

It made sense to him but he would have imagined she would have given him directions when she first told him about the store but the point was moot. “Well you did mention a milkshake earlier so I guess I’ll try one of those,” he ordered.

“One milkshake coming right up!” she confirmed and went to work. Ray sat and took the store into view and realized it was very homey and imagined the upstairs was the owners living quarters. She quickly showed up with a milk shake balanced on her head and sat it down in front of him. It was vanilla with whipped crème and a cherry on top. A red straw was pointed toward him and he leaned forward to take a sip.

“Wow that’s a really good milkshake. I’ve never had one like it while I was in Canterlot!” Ray admitted and taking another sip.

“Thanks! I always try my best to make the bestest best milkshakes. So you said you were here for some work for the princess. What did you mean by that?” she asked.

Having been asked this many times already, which was a fair enough question, he cut down the story a bit, “I was here to help the Princess out but in the process I ended up having to owe Twilight Sparkle a life debt and now I’m here to help her out until the debt is paid,” he said.

“WOW a LIFE DEBT?! That’s a big commitment! So you’re going to stick around for a while then aren’t you?” she asked him.

“Yeah it would appear so, in fact I should be on my way back to bring her these supplies, “ he said as he gestured to his saddle bags full of stationary.

“Okie dokie lokie! Visit back sometime and good luck with your life debt thingy!!” she said and went back behind the counter to help another customer that had just come in. Ray got up from his seat and went off back to the library. Running this errand and going to Sugarcube Corner had taken longer than expected and he ended up arriving back at the library in the late afternoon.

Knocking on the door to the library, Ray waited until Spike answered the door with a sour face. It appeared he still felt threatened by Ray. He couldn’t see a reason why as the errand he had run could have been done Spike; it was just Ray repaying Twilight. Spike let Ray in without a word and went back to his task. Ray found Twilight in her study and took off his saddle bags.

“I have your supplies, were would you like them?” he asked as Twilight jolted up from her chair and notes. It appeared as though Ray had snuck up on her on accident. She took a deep breath to collect herself and turned to face him. “Sorry to have scared you, I have a habit of doing that and no one at the barracks likes it,” he apologized before she could speak.

“It’s ok, you were pretty quiet and I wasn’t expecting anyone. I’m still trying to get used to the idea of having another assistant. You can place them in that shelf, there are cubbies for each item,” she said and pointed to a nearby self that was carved into the wall of wood. Ray picked up the saddle bags once more and moved them closer to the self. It’s a miracle that the wood was carved out like this from a tree. There must have been some enchantment that allowed it to stay dry and polished.

The cubbies were separated into scrolls, jars of ink, quills, and other stationary items. Ray put the newly acquired items into their respective cubbies. He stole a glance at Twilight and she was back into her notes and other material on her desk. Ray couldn’t help but admire her dedication to her studies and the search for knowledge. Twilight perked up and started to look toward Ray to which he immediately turned around and went back to work. Nervous that he had been caught looking, he turned back to Twilight to see her looking at him. They made eye contact and in a moment of embarrassment quickly went back to their respective tasks.

Ray finished up his work and put the saddle bags back on top of a nearby pony mannequin that was absent of its saddlebags. Making sure to drag his hooves a bit to make sure he didn't sneak up on her again. Hearing is approach this time, Twilight turned to him and said “Thanks, and I’m sorry to say but I don’t really have much else for you to do today.”

“That’s fine, and if you don’t think you will have much for me to do I might go to Canterlot to double check some things,” he said but noticed Twilight’s face become a little crestfallen. Having that in mind he retracted his statement and said, “But I guess I can stick around for a while, if that’s ok with you.”

“Yes that would be fine with me, but if you need to go back don’t let me keep you here,” she said back trying her best to not look desperate as she was learning to enjoy his company.

“Just a little while, and there shouldn't be anything that will drag me back there,” he said while he tried his best to not sound too sound too eager to stay. In the next moments of awkward silence where neither knew what to say Twilight glanced back to her notes while Ray looked outside. Before one of them could think of something to say Spike came in and went straight to Twilight without giving Ray a glance of acknowledgement.

“Isn't it time you got ready for tonight?” Spike said with a voice sarcastic urgency. Twilight coming back to her senses remembered her plans with the girls and turned to Ray.

“That’s right I did make plans for tonight, I’m sorry but I’ll have to excuse myself,” she said while getting up from her desk.

“It’s no problem I should be getting back to the inn now anyways. Have a good night and same time tomorrow?” he asked while getting ready to leave himself.

“Uh yes that should be fine, have a good night Ray,” she said and escorted him to the door. Ray wanted to say more but couldn’t think of anything and simply waved as he went through the door. Surprised at his own inability to speak or come up with any thing he shook his head and went to the inn.

And so this went on for the next week where Ray would get up and go on a run and then run a simple errand or two for Twilight. Throughout the week Ray was able to meet the rest of Twilight friends, including Rarity, Applejack, and Fluttershy. Rarity was excited to meet a pony of the royal guard but like everyone else was surprised to learn of his reason for his stay. Applejack and Fluttershy were surprised but glad Twilight had another assistant as she had been very busy lately and could use the help regardless of what she may say to him. After a few days of this routine, Twilight invited Ray over for dinner at her place. For reasons he couldn’t figure out, he was nervous about it.


Ray was given the day off to relax and have plenty of time to get ready for the dinner that evening with Twilight. For reasons beyond him he was nervous for the dinner and was anxious to get it over with so that maybe these feelings would pass. He didn’t have anything formal but she said it was a casual dinner so he tried not to feel underdressed for the occasion but it was another feeling that he couldn’t shake off.

He made his way to the library like any other day but it still didn’t feel the same at all. At the door Twilight was already there and was waiting for him to arrive. She welcomed him in and led him to the table she had set up. There was dandelion salad and tulip sandwiches in the center of the table along with a pitcher of cider that could have only come from Sweet Apple Acers. There was a sapphire soup made especially for Spike that merely gave Ray a look of contempt.

“Thank you so much for the help over the past week, it has allowed to do more work than I was expecting to be able to get done,” Twilight told Ray while Spike just rolled his eyes and slurped his soup.

Ray finished swallowing the food in his mouth and replied, “It’s not a problem at all, just doing what I need to.”

“By now you have met all of the Elements of Harmony haven’t you?” she asked him.

“Yes I actually have and they all seem like lovely mares and are lucky to have you as a friend. Though Fluttershy was very well shy and she didn’t say much,” he answered to her while taking a sip of cider and noting how delicious it was. The rest of the meal went silently with all three members eating their food. Spike asked Twilight about something she had apparently mentioned earlier that day and she quickly answered him and went back to her salad.

Ray wanted to say something but for the life of him couldn’t come up with a topic to talk about. He looked up from his food to see Twilight looking at him and rapidly looking down back at her food and eating eagerly. Ray gave a small smile and went back to eating himself. Spike just looked at the two of them and sighed in disgust and excused himself from the table and put his dishes into the sink in the kitchen.

Having Spike leave the table did nothing to ease the tension from the meal. Ray stole a glance at Twilight and cleared his throat to get her attention. “This salad is really good and the cider is delicious,” he commented.

“Thank you, Applejack likes to keep a barrel during the off season for special occasions and I thought you should try some in case you aren’t around for cider season,” Twilight said. After that there was no more conversation and the rest of the meal was eaten in silence. Ray helped clean up the dishes and put them away in their proper place. He hadn’t done many chores inside the house but after sometime he stilled learned the location for all the dinnerware.

After the cleanup Twilight lead Ray to the door and before Ray could think of something to say Twilight started to close the door and he awkwardly waved good bye to her. She gave a nervous smile in response and waved back before closing the door. Turning around and looking at the ground Ray couldn’t help but to think that the dinner was a disaster.

With yet another sigh, which were becoming frequent with each departure from the library, he went back to the inn. Ray was glad to be helping out Twilight but it wasn’t strictly for his life debt anymore. He couldn’t explain it but helping her didn’t feel like he was doing his duty for his life debt, even though in essence he was, but because he actually wanted to help her. Yet when he had to actually talk to her, he was tongue tied and couldn’t come up with any conversational topics other than a quick comment.

Wrapped up in his own thoughts Ray didn’t even realize he had already made it back into his room at the inn. Being so caught up in his own head he couldn’t remember walking into the building or walking up the stairs to his room. Driven crazy by his own thoughts and feelings Ray could do nothing but to get into bed and try to sleep off his confusion. To no anvil to his misfortune.


Another week had passed by with Ray and Twilight exchanging little more than pleasantries when they talked and instructions on Twilights behalf. After another morning of awkward exchanges Ray made his way to Rarity’s boutique to pick up a gown for Twilight that he had dropped off earlier that week.

Ringing the bell as he opened the door, Ray went over to see Rarity making some last minute adjustments to Twilight’s gown. Granted the dress was supposed to be done already, Ray knew any changes Rarity had to make right then and there, were a must and any complaints about it would be dismissed or berated in the name of fashion.

“Oh darling you’re here right on time, sorry I had some last second inspiration for this piece and just had to make some changes. If you would like, take a seat. This really shouldn’t be long for me to finish,” she said without taking her eyes off the dress. Ray obliged to her suggestion and took a seat nearby so he could see the changes she was making. She was adding a lace to the hems of the gown and even he had to admit that it made the dress look better.

“Since you’ve been in Ponyville for what, two weeks now? Is there anything that you are missing from Canterlot? A special some pony for example?” she asked him while she finished one of the front sleeves.

“Actually I don’t have a special some pony back home and I’ve gotten a report from the barracks that things are running smoothly in my absence,” he answered and continued, “But on the topic of special someponies do you know if Twilight has one?” His last words quietly coming out but loud enough that Rarity heard and actually stopped her work to look at him.

“Um… no I can’t say that I have heard her talk about one but I’m sure she is too busy to even think of having one let alone have one. Why is it that you ask this?” she inquired.

“Well I think that maybe she could use one that she could lean on when she needs him, that can show her why he can be the one to stand by her side and make her see her beauty and umm yeah something like that,” he trailed off and gave a sheepish look to the ground.

“Mhm, and is there a stallion you had in mind that could do this for her?” she said and gave a quizzical look at him.

Me,” he mumbled and continued to look away from Rarity.

“I’m sorry come again?” she said and moved closer to hear him better.

Me... it’s me…I think I could be her special somepony!” he exclaimed raising his voice as Rarity was trying to get closer to him. Once he had admitted his feelings, he had actually realized his feelings and it wasn’t until a few moments ago when Rarity had mentioned a special somepony that he had even thought about Twilight like that. It would however explain how he acted around her and why he couldn’t explain his actions as he had never had a special somepony before.

“Oh my…well that’s very admirable but like I’ve said I don’t think she has thought about it besides aren’t you only here until your debt is paid off? Won’t you have to go back to Canterlot once you’re done here? I don’t mean to discourage you dear but have you thought about any of this?” she kindly asked him meaning no harm but wanted to make sure he new the depth of his situation.

“No I haven’t exactly thought about all of that but they wouldn’t really matter if she doesn’t want me, I mean a special somepony,” he said with an agitated face. Rarity knew better than to try and force her point any further so she quickly finished her work and wrapped up the gown for Ray to take with him. With a stony expression he thanked her and went back to the library. Not sure what to make of what she had said, he was still determined to do his best to be somepony she could rely on and look to for help.

A few more days passed by but now aware of how he felt, Ray did his best to try and be friendlier and talk more when he spoke to Twilight. This didn’t bring a positive response from Spike but Twilight did warm up to him and their conversations were better and easier than from the week prior.

One day Twilight didn’t have any tasks for Ray to do and instead asked him to a cup of tea. Spike was out helping Rarity so there would be no snide comments during their conversation. Twilight asked about Ray’s life back in Canterlot and if it was where he was born and raised. He explained that his family was from a rural town just outside of Canterlot named Maringtonville. He had seen guards pass through town as a small filly wanted to join since then. Ray couldn’t say much about Canterlot as most of his time there was occupied with work and that he didn’t have much free time.

“Since most of your time is taken up with work, how are you able to spend so much time here? Don’t they need you back there doing your job?” she asked him after taking a sip of her tea.

“I was able to pull some strings and get all of my shifts covered plus there are still some laws in place to help those who have to leave to fulfill life debts,” he explained and set down his cup to pour himself some more tea.

“Actually about that, it’s one of the reason I invited you over for tea. I’m thankful for all the help you have given me over the past few weeks, I really am, but are you sure you have to stay? Surely you have repaid your life debt,” she said to him.

“But I haven’t until I’ve evened out the score and I haven’t don’t it yet,” he tried to explain to her.

“Ok, but aren’t you worried that the guard might need you back? I’m glad they have laws and you have friends to help you out but how long will that last? This can’t possibly last forever,” she said pressing the point.

“It’s ok, really, as long as its ok with you and I’m not a bother I can stay here as long as I need to,” he replied back to her.

“Then can I relieve you of your obligation?” she asked of him.

“That’s not possible as my pride and honor would be lost as I would not have repaid my debt to you and I cannot allow that to happen,” he told her, but she wouldn’t take it as an acceptable answer.

“There must be something that is keeping you here other than your life debt because I can’t imagine you fulfilling that without saving my life and I’m not sure if or when that may happen,” she pleaded to him.

“There is more than just my pride or my debt keeping me here but regardless of that I must repay this debt of mine!” he said.

“Than what is it? Can it help you clear up your debt with me?” she asked of him.

“No it can’t, not even sure why I mentioned it but it doesn’t matter, please just let me fulfill my life debt. I’ll do anything you ask of me,” he begged of her.

“Then tell me what else is keeping you here,” she demanded of him.

“It’s you Twilight, you’re what’s keeping me here and I don’t mean the life debt. I want you to see me in the way that I see you. How smart and dedicated you are to any task you set your mind to. How much you care for your friends and anyone who asks for your help. How much you mean to me. When this first started I did think of leaving and having to owe you a favor but when I did my spirit took a nose dive and I felt like I would be letting you down so I had to stay. I just have to stick around you and make you see that I can be somepony you can lean on when you need help yourself and maybe, just maybe I could be your special somepony,” he exasperated to her and the room fell deathly quiet.

Twilight couldn’t say anything and could only open and close her mouth attempting to think of something to say to him. Ray couldn’t say anything and could only sit and await his judgment and hope for the best. Seconds dragged on for what felt like ages and Twilight finally gathered herself and simply said, “I’m sorry I must excuse myself, I ran out of samples yesterday and need to go get some more.” She got up and left, leaving her tea cup on the table.

Ray wanted to say something again but couldn’t as his voice was caught in his throat. He could only sit there in silence in the wake of what he had done. He didn’t want to tell her so soon but he hinted at it and then she wouldn’t drop it. He merely sighed and slumped his head on the table. Angry at his own failure he was about to give up when he heard a door open.

Spike entered the room, looked at Ray and gave another eye roll. “You know I could let you be her number one assistant but before I can ever let that happen you have to start acting like one. And her number one assistant wouldn’t let her go out there by herself,” Spike said to Ray, with a little edge in his voice but with good intentions.

Ray looked up at Spike who was pointing to the door with one his claws and the other on his hip with a look of impatience. Ray immediately got up and started to run for the door but stopped first to say, “Thanks Spike, I promise to earn that title!” Again Spike could only roll his eyes and went about cleaning up the mess the ponies had left behind.

Ray was doing his best to try and catch up to Twilight but in his sadness he wasn’t exactly sure how much time had passed and couldn’t find her before getting into the forest. Remembering how to get to the cliff, his best bet was to get there and then go east or west until he could find a point he could climb up.

Getting near to the clearing in which he had first met Twilight, he could hear her screaming and the sound of sticks moving repeatedly. Her screams of desperation only made him run faster and this time it was Twilight that was surrounded by timberwolves. Twilight couldn’t teleport because she didn’t have any time to focus on that spell as the timberwolves were chasing her in circles and it was a miracle she had lasted this long without getting caught.

Ray grabbed a nearby stick and jumped in between Twilight and the timberwolves waving his stick around to keep them at bay. “Can you teleport us away?” Ray asked Twilight albeit with a stick in his mouth. Twilight just now realized he had arrived and could simply nod a yes to him and took a hold of his side while she casted the same spell from last time to save the both of them.

Arriving in a flash of purple light, the two ponies were back at the entrance of the forest. Ray was still holding the stick, set it down, and looked at Twilight. Her face was contorted in deep thought and looked to Ray and asked, “Would you come back with me to the library?” It was Ray’s turn to simply nod a yes and followed her back to the library.

They both walked back in silence which was normal for them but in the past few days had become rare. Both had too many thoughts racing in their heads to organize them let alone talk about and once they got back to the library they sat back down at the table. Spike was there but only waited for a necessary conversation between the two ponies.

“I’m sorry I ran out like that…it wasn’t right of me to leave you here alone after confessing something like that. I was confused and didn’t know how to react to it so I had to remove myself from the situation,” Twilight explained to Ray who had been looking at the ground until she had spoken. Knowing she wasn’t done speaking Ray stayed silent to let her finish. “I have never had a pony tell me something like that nor had I thought what I would do if somepony had. I am however; glad you told me and chased after me to save me.

“My life has always been full of work and my friends so having a special somepony was something very far from my mind. Once you had told me that you had those types of feelings for me I could only think why you would feel that way. But on my way to the forest I had realized I also felt the same way about you. Thank you for saving me and I guess that would repay your life debt so I guess you can go back to Canterlot now if you wanted to,” she said the last part with a little sadness.

Ray looked at Twilight and knew it was all going to be ok. He stood up and went around the table and stood right in front Twilight. Staring into her lavender eyes he said, “Even though I could go, I think that I will stay. I’ll stay if you want me to, I’ll stick around for you.”

Comments ( 1 )

Not bad. The premise is pretty good, the writing is in need of some work, however. The biggest thing you need to work on is the details. Slow down the story, beef up the characters. Grey needed a lot more character development than he got, as did Twilight. The romance needed some fluff too. Some little 'moments' between them, little things that make them start to think about the possibility. For a one shot this wasn't bad, but it had potential for a few more chapters of good writing.
Keep it up!
DWNL

Login or register to comment