• Published 13th Jan 2014
  • 7,484 Views, 231 Comments

A new Discord - Galaxy Knight



This isn't a story about a reformed or even a changed Discord, this is what happens when someone gets a hold of Discord's powers. Contains many references to TV, anime, video games, movies etc.

  • ...
45
 231
 7,484

Nightmare saga (finale)- The dawn has arrived

Author's Note:

Welcome boils and ghouls! I thought today would be a perfect day to cap off this spooky story ark. Conider it a little Halloween/ Nightmare Night/ harrowing treat from your good friend Spiderwilliam13. Enjoy!

Chapter 17

I felt myself surrounded by darkness as I lie on the cold, hard ground. I opened my eyes and saw…more darkness, so my thought was indeed correct. I got up of the ground and looked over my body, I didn’t seem the worse for wear, but for some reason I was back in my human form.

“That’s strange, I don’t remember turning back. I wonder if…”

My thoughts were interrupted as I looked ahead of me and saw Luna sitting on the ground, not Nightmare Moon but the real Luna.

“Luna!” I exclaimed happily.

I ran over to greet her, and to get her out of this place with me. She turned and looked at me, but she did not seem happy at all and her face was quite sullen. I did not understand why until as I was near her I ran into an invisible wall and got knocked on my ass. I rubbed the pain on my head and got back up on my feet.

“Who put this force field here? Who does that? Ow.” I exclaimed.

Luna just looked back at the ground, sad and defeated. “You cannot break it, I have tried many times.”

I put my hands on the barrier. “Luna, I am getting you out of here. No matter what.”

I started pounding on the invisible wall but I couldn’t feel any give. I surrounded my fist with energy and punched the wall, creating an explosion of energy, but it still remained untouched.

“I will not falter!” I cried.

I pulled out a greatsword and began spinning around and around, each strike hitting the wall harder and faster than the last. It did not break. I took a moment to breathe and calm down, but I saw something that disturbed me.

There was a rift opening up underneath Luna, a swirling vortex of red energy that began to pull her through it.

“Luna!” I cried, not wanting to lose her.

I made two giant drill gauntlets for my hands and tried to boar through the barrier but the drills couldn’t break it.

“Damn you!”

I threw the gauntlets off and started throwing energy balls at the barrier which exploded but didn’t make it break.

“Aaaah!”

I was done, I put my two hands forward and unleashed a torrent of golden energy but the barrier deflected it like it was wind. All I could do was watch as the void swallowed her up.

“Luna!” I pounded against the barrier with my fist. “You have to fight it Luna, don’t get swallowed up!”

I don’t know if she didn’t hear me or she just didn’t care but she just looked down at the ground with a sad look on her face. Before she passed all the way through I saw a single tear slip down her face and heard two words leave her lips.

“Forgive me.”

She slipped into the void completely and then the barrier came down, I fell forward and kneeled atop the spot she was on.

‘No…” I said to myself, not wanting to believe this happened.

“No.” I clenched my fists in anger and raised them in the air.

“NO!” I screamed and my hands came crashing down on the ground.

As I sat there in my sorrow, I could hear a dark chuckle coming from somewhere, it echoed through this space but I could not pinpoint its location.

“Do you finally understand now? Do you see the futility in trying to oppose me?”

I stood up, looked behind me and saw a translucent form of Nightmare Moon’s head with her long flowing starry mane.

“If you cannot save one pony, especially one as important as her, how do you expect to save everyone else?”

Suddenly my eyes were invaded by images; I saw pictures of peaceful towns all over Equestria, filled with happy ponies. But then the skies grew dark and the ponies look up in fear, over the horizon there is a mass of shadows distinguishable only by numerous pairs of glowing blue eyes. They move quickly and pass through every solid object, creating chaos in the town and killing anypony who even touches them.

“Soon my army will march on all of Equestria; no pony will stand in our way.”

The skies were now blood red and bodies of ponies lay everywhere, slaughtered to the last mare and child.

“And as for your friends…”

Then I saw all the girls and all the friends that I had made, they were…eviscerated; killed and dismembered in such a way that it made me gag.

“I will take great pleasure in ending their lives.

Finally I saw Canterlot castle, Celestia stood resolute in front of her throne and Nightmare bust through the door and stared at her maliciously. Then she leapt at Celestia with her sharp fangs barred, I heard a bite and then everything turned to darkness again.

“And all this will come to pass because you could not stop one pony.”

Seeing all these horrible events passed before my eyes weighed heavy on my heart, and it hurt me possibly more than any other physical wound could.

I fell to my knees, all this emotion welling up inside of me was hard to take.

“My fault…it’s all my fault…”

The pain I felt was so great that something happened I did not expect…I began to cry. I don’t cry very often, only when I feel helpless and emotionally distressed.

A few tears escaped my eyes and I could feel Nightmare Moon standing there, taking in all of my sadness and lapping it up like a dog.

Meanwhile…

Twilight and her friends still stood in the middle of the destroyed throne room, they currently had their eyes transfixed on the two ponies in front of them: Nightmare and I, both of us were standing totally still and our eyes were a solid glowing white. Nightmare’s mane was still run through my body.

“What’s going on with them?” Rainbow asked.

Twilight walked up to us two and observed us; she waved a hoof in front of both our faces to see if we would respond. “I don’t know, at first I was afraid that she …killed him, but then his eyes went white and her eyes went white and now they’re just standing here.”

“Is there anything you can do about it?” Rarity asked.

Twilight nodded, she was curious what was happening and she was willing to try anything to figure it out. She surrounded us two in a magical aura from her horn, but as soon as she tried to apply power the energy collapsed and the shock knocked her back.

“Whatever’s going on there’s a lot of magic involved; I can feel some of struggle going on in his brain.” Twilight said, trying to guess what was happening.

“Can you tell if he’s winning?” Applejack added.

Twilight shook her head. “All I can tell is that there’s a large strain on his head right now, and it doesn’t feel good.”

Back in the crazy man’s head…

I was laying on the floor, crying, ready to give up on everything and feeling horrible that I couldn’t stop it. But then, something amazing happened…

“Hey, what’s wrong buddy?”

I heard a voice, but not just any voice. This voice was familiar and I could attach it to a human being; it was the voice of someone who I hadn’t seen in quite a while and I had hoped that I wasn’t just hearing things. I turned around and I saw him: five feet ten inches tall, dark hair with stripes of gray, glasses, and a goatee. It was him…

“Dad!” I cried out.

I was so happy to see him I immediately got up and ran to him. I wanted to hug him so hard but when my fingers touched him they passed through, he was so close and yet still out of my reach.

“Sorry William.”

I looked at him with hurt feelings. “But, it’s you. You’re-“

“I’m in your head son.”

I looked hurt. “My head?”

He nodded. “All this stuff is going on in that big old head of yours.”

I gave a small grin; he always did say that I had a big head.

“So all of this stuff that’s happening right now isn’t actually happening?”

He shook his head. “Nope.”

“But…that means you’re not really here either.”

“No…I’m sorry.”

I sighed again and he put his hand on my shoulder.

“Hey come on, you can do this.” He said in a reassuring tone.

“I don’t know if I can. I mean, I thought I knew what was supposed to happen in the time line but this-“ I pointed to giant Nightmare “I’ve never seen this before. What if I fail because I’m not sure what to do?”

He looked at me with concern. “Hey, look at me.”

I looked him in the eyes.

“You’re a smart kid, I know you are. You’re emotional, but all water signs are like that, you’re devoted, but you know what the best thing is?”
I shrugged.

He put a finger on my chest. “You’re not afraid to do things your way, and I really admire that. Will, I always knew you were going to do great things and now’s your chance. Uphold your knight’s code, go out there, and take down evil; it’s your turn to be the hero.”

Hearing his inspirational speech and just hearing his voice again made me feel better inside, dad was always the best at that. “Thanks dad.”

He gave me a great big hug, but I couldn’t feel him wrapped around me. “You’re welcome bud.”

I began to continue my sniffling from earlier. “I love you, and i‘m gonna miss you so much.”

“I’m gonna miss you too, but knowing that you’re here and that you’re safe is enough for me.”

He gave me one final pat on the shoulder and I could see him begin to fade away, but he had a few final words on his lips. “Go get him monkey.” And then he disappeared.

I wiped the tears from my eyes; he was right, I’m not gonna stand for this. I’ve got new friends and I’ll be damned if they’re going to get taken away by some overgrown shade.

“Hey Nightmare!” I screamed.

Her giant head turned around and she saw me. “Hm, I thought you’d be enveloped in despair by now.”

I held up the peace sign. “I’ve got two words for you.”

I extended my arms and was bathed in a white light and I was wearing a different costume, this time I was wearing the dark and baggy robes of Organization XIII. I needed something lightweight and maneuverable as well as dark and badass, plus… I don’t know it just seemed cool in my head.

“Let’s dance!” I decreed

She flashes her pointed grin and moved close to me.

“Let’s finish this.” She said.

“Is that all you’ve got to say?” I asked.

Nightmare: Well well well, what a pest you are

She summoned a dark tentacle of energy to try and attack me, I gracefully jumped out of its before it could hit me. She kept trying to hit me with them but I kept dodging.

Nightmare: Still around huh? Oh, can’t say I like that.
So why don’t you just give up? You know, surrender?

I flashed my normal cocky grin, and started building up energy.

Will: It’s over, it’s over, your scheme was bound to fail

I waved my arm and several energy bullets flew at her and hit her in the face.

It’s over, you’re finished here, you’re just too weak and frail.

I extended my hand and several more bullets hit her.

Nightmare: You mock me, you fight me, I don’t know which is worse
I must just get the hiccups, if I don’t die laughing first. Ha!

Suddenly I was surrounded my numerous dark energy spheres that just looked ready to do some damage.

Will: What’s this? A trick?

The energy extended into black needles and attempted to stab me, before they came close I thrust my arms out on both my sides and the needles broke and became harmless.

I’m not impressed, you’re bad and now you’re tall.
It makes it all the more worthwhile to see a giant fall.

Nightmare: Talk, talk, talk, but I tell you, this giant’s going nowhere.
If I were you I’d take a hike, there’s danger in the air.

She kept sending more tentacles after me but as I flipped in the air to dodge them, I started my next attack. Static electricity began to build up around my body and I started running towards her.

Nightmare: Whoa

This time Nightmare tried a different tactic, she summoned dark spikes to shoot out from the ground and try to impale me. When the first one tried to impale me I was only able to dodge it halfway and I could feel it scratching against my body.

Will: Whoa
Nightmare: Whoa

She sent more of them after me but now that I knew what she was doing I was able to get out of their way.

Will: Whoa
Nightmare: Whoa!

The energy in me had reaches its maximum and I was ready to unleash it, all I needed to do now was wait for the perfect moment. Then it came in the form of one those dark spikes.

Will: Whoa!

As It shot up I jumped up into the air to meet it and at its peak I hopped off the tip and managed to jump directly above Nightmare’s giant head.

Will: I’m the one who’ll fight the night!

I unleashed it on her face and several lightning strikes came down and blasted her for massive damage.

I landed back on the ground and caught my breath for a second.

“My mind is my own!” I cried.

Nightmare merely smiled at me. “Well aren’t we confident.”

I extended my right arm and suddenly it was surrounded by glowing red energy that manifested itself into a giant jagged red claw like the one Ragna from Blaze Blue had. Seeing this made me grin evily.

Will: Well I’m feeling angry and there’s plenty left to do
I fought your most unwelcome help and now I’m after you!
I started running for her again but she did not look amused.
Nightmare: Even if you beat me, you could never end my life
I’m pain sorrow given form, a never ending strife.

She created a horde of shadow minions to try and stop me but my claw sliced through them like a warm knife through butter.

Nightmare: Whoa
Will: Whoa
Nightmare: Whoa
Will: Whoa
Nightmare: Whoa!
Will: Whoa!

Soon her army was gone and I had a wonderful opening to hit her.

Will: You can never beat my might.

I slashed her exposed area as powerfully as I could and I could see the claw marks in her form. However pretty soon after I made those marks they healed themselves and I felt a dark wave of energy blast me backwards.

Back in the real world the girls were just standing around wondering what to do and seeing if things would get better. While they were waiting they heard me groan and wince, though I would not escape my trance.

“This…ends…here” They heard me grunt.

Back in my head Nightmare was still jovial about the whole ordeal “I’m laughing to death.”

Will: It’s over, you’re finished, you’ll never get away.
You, the princess of nightmares? That’ll be the day.

I got into a stance and started to charge up energy for a very strong attack. While I stood there and charged Nightmare looked at me with… I’m going to say a mixture of pity and contempt.

Nightmare: How feeble, how childish, is that the best you got?
You might think you’re a hero Will, but I think you are not.

She expanded herself to make her look more terrifying, it wasn’t working on me.

Nightmare: I am the ruler of eternal night!
Will: You rule over nothing!

Nightmare’s eyes flared and I could see her trying to start something, soon crimson blades jutted out of the ground and came at me in waves. Yeah, this could get bad.

Nightmare: Now it’s time for you to see what it really means to fear
Cause all the fools who scream and howl are music to my ears.

The blades were coming at me at great speeds, I tried to get out of the way of all of them but it was nearly impossible. Quite a few of them cut me and started to slash my robes to bits.

It’s much more fun, I must confess, when death is added in
So come on friend, just give up, your life is wearing thin.

In a moment of weakness Nightmare reached out with one of her tendrils and grabbed me, lifting me high up into the air. Now I was suspended in the air right in front of her face; three more tentacles came out of nowhere and grabbed the rest of my limbs. She was trying to pull me apart.

Nightmare: Whoa
Will: Whoa
Nightmare: Whoa
Will: Whoa

While she was pulling me apart I glowed with bright white energy, I had finally stored enough energy to pull off this super attack. However Nightmare noticed my glowing and immediately became suspicious.

Nightmare: Whoa!
Will: Whoa!

Before she could do anything about it I broke free of her grasp and back flipped in midair.

Will: Time for you to face the light!

I surrounded myself with all the energy at once and charged directly at Nightmare, the energy was so great that I bored right through her and made a gigantic hole in her head. I landed on the ground in a ball of explosive light and observed Nightmare’s wounded state as she… regenerated all the damage I just did to her. Crap.

She may have reformed but I saw something I recognized, cracks. The black walls that surrounded us had small white cracks forming on them so I knew that I was close to breaking out of here.

To get out of here I needed to put Luna back in control, and since Nightmare was weakened I may just have a chance of doing that.

I pulled my fist back and did a ground pound, it passed right through the floor and caused ripples of white energy.

“What?” Nightmare questioned.

I could feel her in there, her energy was strong and just begging to come forth, all I needed was something to grab on to and…ha! I got her.

I grabbed onto what felt like a hoof and pulled as hard as I could, sure enough Luna’s head came popping out of the rift and soon her entire being came out.

I smiled at her appearance. “Good to see you again.”

“You to.” She replied.

Nightmare looked at the scene with disgust. “No! You cannot do this! I am far superior to you! I am-“

Luna looked at her giant evil form in embarrassment. “My word, was I always this egotistical?”

I nodded a bit. “Maybe not you in general, but this one is definitely talkative.”

Nightmare tried to attack me with another dark tendril but I put a barrier and deflected it. However, after the barrier was down I could feel the impact that it had tried to inflict; I was running out of energy.

“Luna, I can finish her right now and put this evil to bed forever but I need you to lend me some of your power.”

She nodded. “Of course.”

She charged up a spell in her horn and I charged energy in my hand, when we were both ready we fired a bolt of energy straight up and the collided, swirling together and transforming into a magical sword.

This sword was tinted black steel with a jagged blade design; the hilt had a blue gem in the middle with two metal black wings sticking out to the side. It was a magical weapon imbued with the strength of two deities, yeah this thing was gonna tear shit up.

The sword fell down and I caught it in my right hand, giving it a few practice twirls to get the pattern right. It was a bit light so that meant it was a longsword, but used in a two handed style it’ll be fast and strong.

“This will do quite nicely.”

I turned around and gave Nightmare one final grimace before pointing my blade at her.

“Hear me now Nightmare; from this point onward any pony who thinks they can rule Equestria by force and threaten the lives of all those who I have sworn to protect will be defeated.” I got into a combat stance. “And I’m starting with you!”

I ran at her at top speeds, preparing to end her. She sent a few more dark tendrils at me but I slashed them with my sword which caused them to immediately disintegrate.

When I had almost reached her I stabbed through one of her tendrils but it would not dissipate like the others. Seeing this Nightmare tried to get me out of her way by flicking me up in the air like some kind of insect. I flew above her head and she sent a few dark energy blasts to intercept me, I batted them off with my sword as I spun while mid-flight.
As the force of the toss began to wear off and I slowed down I prepared the coup de gra. Gravity caught up to me and I began to fall back down towards Nightmare, I positioned myself directly above her head as I free fell downwards gaining more speed. I rose the blade above me as she turned her massive head to lay eyes on me.

“Greet the gods!” I cried out.

Before she could move I was already on top her and with a mighty swing I sliced cleanly through her skull and did not stop until I hit the ground. After I landed the cut I made glowed with white light and the rest of her face began cracking and the light began to showed through the cracks. Finally, the white light grew brighter until the entire head exploded; satisfied I raised my sword in a victorious manner and placed it on my back (don’t ask how).

Once Nightmare disappeared the black walls around me and Luna began to crack and glow as well. I turned to Luna and smiled at her and she smiled back.

“You’ve done it; you did in one night what I could not accomplish in a millennium.” She said.

I shrugged my shoulders. “Just lucky I suppose.” I saw the black on the walls begin to peel and fade away, making patches of white. “I’m going to be waking up soon, I’ll see you soon Luna.”

She put her head down. “I hope so.”

I put my hand on her shoulder. “I know so.”

And then everything faded.

Soon the inside returned to the outside, Nightmare’s mane which was still lodged in my body had sparks of energy traveling up it and they came to electrocute her head, the energy was so much that it knocked her out and she fell to the floor.

The light faded from my eyes and I fell to the ground as well with my legs splayed to the sides. The girls cautiously walked up to me to see if I was okay, I looked up at them with tired eyes and a goofy grin on my face.

I let this form go and changed back to human form, I carefully got up and gave myself a look over and I did not look my best. My clothes were singed and there were holes in some places, my arms had bruises, and I could feel cuts on my face, but I was alive and that’s all that mattered.

I looked over towards Luna, she still hadn’t come out of her Nightmare form yet.

“How are we going to get rid of Nightmare Moon?” Twilight asked.

“I can think of one way.” I said.

I walked over to Luna and kneeled down next to her unconscious form. I leaned in very close and began to whisper in her ear.

“Luna, I know you can hear me and I need you to wake up. You might not think that you’re strong enough to beat Nightmare but you are, I know you are and I believe in you to find that inner strength. I started to beat her but you need to finish the job, show off that excellent power I know you have.”

I got back up on my feet and I stood there, waiting for some kind of reaction, hoping that she would be able to beat this possession once and for all.
The seconds passed slowly, but soon she began to move. It was slow and you could hear her groaning, fighting consciousness.

“Come on Lulu.” I said quietly, under my breath.

She slowly opened one of her eyes and the vertical irises expanded becoming more normal. I could see the black color flushing itself from her coat and finally she opened her mouth and a black mist slowly rose out of it. As it left her body I saw her slowly change back into the old Luna.

When the mist finished draining out I quickly extended two fingers and captured it midair in a force bubble. The black goop began thrashing in its spherical prison, but I knew it wouldn’t escape.

“I’m not even giving you a chance this time.” I turned to Twilight. “Care to assist me Sparkle?”

She nodded. I charged up energy in my hand and she charged up the sunbeam spell I showed her, we unleashed them both on the sphere at the same time and I saw the blackness burn and fade into nothingness.

I smiled, glad that this evil was gone forever.

“I suppose all that’s left now is to wait for the princess to wake up.”

I motioned my hand backwards. “You guys can go back home, I’ll watch over Luna.”

“But-“ Rainbow began to start

I put up one finger. “No butts. It’s been a very long night for all of us, but the rest of you have jobs or some form of work in the morning. I do not and I’ve stayed up all night before so I can watch over her until she wakes up.”

Rainbow groaned. “And I thought having Twilight right all the time was rough, now we’ve got you for that to.”

“I know, ironic right?”

“Well…” Rarity yawned. “I do know this lack of sleep is not going to bode well for my morning, I’m going to retire for the evening. See you all tomorrow.”

“Excellent.” I snapped my fingers and teleported Rarity back to the boutique.

“And I s’pose Granny would be cross with me if I was too tired to buck apples tomorrow. I’ll catch y’all tomorrow as well.”

“Night AJ.” I snapped and sent her back to the apple farm.

“I need to go check on Spike.” Twilight said.

“And you will.” I sent Twilight back to the library.

“Oh oh oh! Me next, me next!” Pinkie waved her hoof in the air excitedly.

I sent her back to her room at Sugarcube corner.

“Oh, um, I don’t want to be a bother so I’ll just…”

Before Fluttershy could think of backing out I sent her back to her cottage.

I looked at Rainbow and she looked back at me uninterested.

“Do I even need to say anything?”

And with one final snap I sent her back to her cloud house.

Now it was just me and the unconscious form of Luna, I leaned my back against one of the old stone columns and began to sink down and sit on the ground. Now that all my adrenaline had worn off I was pretty tired, I leaned my head back and closed my eyes slipping into a dreamless slumber

I wasn’t sure how long I was out but I was suddenly awoken by a small noise. I looked to my side and saw that Luna was beginning to stir and what I heard were her tiny moans of waking up from a long sleep.

She opened her eyes slowly and then she turned her head and saw me. I gave her a weak little smile.

“Welcome back Luna.” I got up and started walking towards her, I kneeled down to talk to her at eye level.. “Did you have a nice nap?”

When she realized it was me she was talking to her head shot up and her eyes widen. “Will! You’re here; but that means that…and I… oh gods.”

She moved forward and wrapped her hooves around me. She was…hugging me… okay; she probably remembered all the things Nightmare had done with her form and was in shock over them. To try and be comforting I put one arm around her and patted her on the back lightly.

“It’s okay, it’s okay. There’s nothing you could have done about this.”

She pulled back and wiped one of her eyes. “No, I could have held back my inner desires and let my darkness go but I chose not to. Such acts as I have done are not forgotten easily.”

I looked at her, as if I could make all of her insecurities go away with a look. “Well for what’s worth, I think the nightmare is finally over.”

I stood up and extended my hand for her to take it, she did so and I pulled her up on her hooves. She looked at me and at herself and she was a bit distraught.

“Oh my, we both look…”

“Scuffed up, I know, myself more than you. But I’m sure that’s nothing a good night’s sleep and a roll of bandages can’t cure.”

Luna looked out at the sky through that large hole we made in the castle when we dived in here.

“I must get back home, sister is probably very worried about me by now and I have duties to attend to back in Canterlot.”

I nodded. “I may be drained from this evenings events but I should have enough juice left to port us back to our respective homes. I’ll start with you.”

I extended my hand and several magic sigils appeared on the ground. In actuality creating multiple magic sigils with certain properties took less energy than actual
teleportation; I placed them on the ground and chanted the words to activate them.

“Adplicabis et lunam , ut recorder eam domi.”

The sigils glowed and a swirling portal of energy opened up.

Before she left Luna gave me one last look.

“I cannot thank you enough for what you have done.”

I shrugged it off. “It’s no big deal, I just did what any other honor bound pony would do.”

Luna shook her head. “No, you did much more than that.” She trotted closer to me until she was only about a foot from my face. “Tonight you served Equestria to the fullest, casting fear aside and risking life and limb to save it’s princess. You are a proper knight of Equestria and you shall be rewarded as such.”

I smiled and dipped my head a bit as a sign of respect. “Thank you Luna that’s very kind of you, what sort of reward were you thinking of?”

She turned her head to the side and thought about it. “Well…there is a traditional reward for a hero who has saved his princess from a great evil.”

At first I wondered what she meant, but before I could comprehend her statement she leaned in closer and…

She kissed me…on my cheek.

Seeing this happen made my eyes go wide and my body freeze, felling her kiss my cheek made my cheeks redder than a tomato and caused my vocal chords to freeze up. I wanted to say something, anything, but my body would not comply.

I think Luna saw this as she stepped back, her face looking less enthusiastic than it had a moment ago.

“I should go.” She said in a stoic manner.

She turned around and walked to the edge of the portal, she took one final look back at me.

“Pleasant dreams.” She said.

And then she walked through and the portal collapsed.

As for me, I just stood there stupefied with only one thought going through my brain

“What?!?”