• Published 13th Jan 2014
  • 7,484 Views, 231 Comments

A new Discord - Galaxy Knight



This isn't a story about a reformed or even a changed Discord, this is what happens when someone gets a hold of Discord's powers. Contains many references to TV, anime, video games, movies etc.

  • ...
45
 231
 7,484

Nightmare saga: Fight the night

Chapter 16

Darkness reincarnate, that’s the best term I could use to describe what stood before me; she was a nightmare given form, the very antithesis of good: Nightmare Moon.

Nightmare Moon stood before me and she was laughing, she was laughing because she was here and because I am responsible for her being here. I brought Luna with me, I provoked these followers of darkness…and I couldn’t save her when the darkness overtook her body.

So now Luna is gone, and Nightmare Moon revels in this fact.

As her laughing came to a close she let out a satisfied sigh. “Ah, it is good that I am once again given flesh.”

She looked directly at me, her eyes showed no emotion and her mouth was curled in a small smile. But when she looked into my eyes I saw her smile grow wider and she giggled slightly. I shot an angry frown back at her, and tried to get the girls to back away.

“Come now, there is no need to be strong for these ponies.” She slowly started walking towards us. “I can feel it. You are just as scared as they are.”

“I am not frightened monster.” I said.

She laughed again. “Monster? Me? No, I am not a monster.” She began walking towards the crumbled throne. “A monster is feral; its desires are purely based on its nature.” She stamped her hoof down. “I am a monarch; I wish to see all these insignificant ponies tremble under me, to fall under my banner…or I will stomp them out.”

She looked at us with a sullen glare, she saw us as insignificant. I knew a fight would ensue, but first there’s something that I needed to know.

I stared at her with a slightly annoyed look, I spun my hand around as a signal for ‘let’s get this rolling’

“Well?” I asked.

“What?” Nightmare asked, not knowing what I was talking about.

“Isn’t this usually the part where the villain, that’s you by the way, tells us her evil plan and how we got to this point?” I said obviously.

She laughs. “Do you take me for a fool that would tell you valuable information?

I shook my head. “No, I just take you for a fool.”

Her look became angrier. “Very well, I suppose since you will be the first to fall under my new banner of darkness I will satiate your curiosity.”

I nodded. “Good, let’s start with how you’re here right now. Last I checked you were destroyed by the elements of harmony.”

The minute I mentioned them Nightmare’s face got angrier and more serious. “The elements…the supposed ‘great and powerful’ artifacts of harmony, they are nothing. They are a delay to the inevitable, a last hope that if you scare your enemy enough then they will leave you alone.”

“What?” I asked.

“When the elements were first used on Discord they were weak; they should have been used to kill him, but all they did was seal him in stone, and not even for an eternity. Then there was my sister… even when Equestria was at its most threatened she could not kill me, instead banishing me for a millennium. This time is no different.”

“What did happen to you?” I asked.

“These new bearers had power that rivaled my sisters, they not only managed to stop me but they also forced me out of Luna. But I was not defeated; I still existed through energy that remained in my armor, though I was in a severely weakened state. As energy I wandered around the Everfree forest for weeks on end, feeding of the fear of those who entered it, hoping to gain my old power back. Over time it worked, but then…you happened.”

I was shocked. “Me?” I asked.

She laughed again, giving me an evil smirk. “Did you really think I would not know? That I wouldn’t feel it when Discord broke free? His energy radiates all around you and it is greater than even he was capable of. With you in this equation I stepped up my plans; I began using my influence to control the minds of weaker ponies, taking more of their energy and getting them to serve my dark army. An army that would help me take over all of Equestria once I was back up to full power, but none of that could have happened with you to oppose me.”

“So you tried to kill me?” I asked.

“Not exactly, if you were anything like Discord I knew that my minions would be no match for you. So I found others, creatures who were more powerful than an average pony: The gryphon, the hydra, and the manticore were tests to see how powerful you were, and to possibly kill you if they got the chance.”

I waited for the follow up. “So, what do you think of me after all of your sick testing?”

She smiled at me, god I hate sarcastic smiles. “You are indeed powerful, but still no match for me. I am the god of nightmares, I am the most powerful being!” She cried

She finally made a mistake, she got cocky. As she monologued I got some of my bravado back and I decided to use it to find a weakness in her armor.

“Ah, but you aren’t really powerful, not really.”

She turned to me and gave me an evil stare. “You question my power?”

“I don’t, because it isn’t ‘your power’ you never had power to begin with. All your power was borrowed, stolen, and shared by others.”

My expression turned to anger and I put one foot forward, looking her dead in the eyes. “You know what it all whittles down to Nightmare? You’re just an idea, a thought, an evil dream given life through the sorrow of a princess. And that’s all you’ll ever be, just some low life parasite feeding of others because she has nothing.” I said that last word with emphasis.

Her face smiled, cocky with her own power, while her eyes were angry, enraged that I could say such vile things about her.

“You fool! I have added my power to the princess of the night, I have surpassed her potential! You are not allowed to call me weak!”

I smiled, cocky as well. “Actually I can, you can’t do anything to stop me.”

Now her expression was blank. “That’s it! I’m going to kill every last one of you, and then all of Equestria shall be mine!”

“No.” I heard someone say.

Nightmare and I both looked surprised; I turned around and saw Twilight with a resolute look on her face, she must have said it.

“What did you say whelp?” Nightmare asked.

Rainbow stepped forward. “She said no, we’re not gonna let you plunge Equestria into darkness. We’re gonna take you down!” Rainbow emphasized this notion by pointing her hoof at the ground.

Nightmare laughed a big and eccentric laugh; she was entertained by this notion. “You would defeat the ruler of the night with seven ponies?”

The girls looked ready to stand up and fight, but I wasn’t.

“No.” I said. Then I stepped forward. “We would defeat the ruler of night with one pony: Me.”

I heard a collective “what!” and Rainbow Dash approached me.

“Are you crazy? You can’t beat Nightmare Moon by yourself. Look, I know you feel like you have to protect us but…”

“No.” I interrupted.

“What?” Rainbow was curious.

“This isn’t about protecting anymore.” I stepped forward and looked Nightmare dead in the eyes. I pointed a finger at her.

“Listen to me Nightmare! You will face me, one on one, for the fate of Equestria!” I demanded. It was time for me to take the fight to her.

“And what’s stopping me from obliterating you all right now?” She asked amused.

I was angry, I scowled “Because you touch any of my other friends, and I will make your death the most agonizing thing you have ever experienced. It will make a millennium on the moon seem like a vacation compared to what I will do to you and you will wish that you were dead.”

She entertained my statement, though she showed no signs of being afraid. “Very well, I shall assist your suicide.”

She stepped down from her elevated throne and stood at level with the rest of us. I walked forward and had the rest of the girls behind me.

“Before we begin, I would like to alter my form. So as to make this battle easier for you.” I said.

“Do what you wish.” She replied.

I focused my energy and surrounded myself in a golden aura, soon that aura enveloped me and I began to take a new form. This form had a bright orange with a fire red mane and golden yellow tips, but still my brown eyes. I was an alicorn, I was the embodiment of light and heat, I was…

Sunfire!” I called out. Showing off my new form to everypony.

All of the girls marveled at my new figure, since I was as tall as Nightmare so I towered over them.

“Wow, he’s hot.” Twilight said.

Rarity gasped. “Twilight darling, that was…wow.”

Rainbow was also surprised. “Wow Twi, I didn’t know you had it in you. Up top.” She raised her hoof in the air, expecting a hoof five.

Twilight realized what she said. “Wha-? No! Not like that! I mean he’s literally hot, I can feel heat radiating off his body.”

The staring between me and Nightmare had continued vigorously, as it was tradition to stare at your opponents for long periods of time before starting a fight. At least, that was the rule in anime.

“Let us begin our battle, for Equestria.” Nightmare said.

“For Equestria.” I returned.

Before Nightmare could do something I disappeared from sight.

“What?” She exclaimed.

I reappeared right behind her, reeled back my front hooves, and slammed into her back. My hit caused her to slide across the floor and grip her back in pain.

“Teleportation followed by an unseen attack. You’re a bit sneakier than you look nave.” Nightmare began charging up energy in her horn. “Personally I’d prefer blasting you to bits!”

She launched a teal energy beam at me. I wouldn’t be fast enough to dodge it this time so I instead put up a crimson barrier that deflected the beam harmlessly. I looked around me and saw that our space for fighting was a bit close and I wanted to keep as much distance between her and me as I could.

“This area is a bit close. I suggest we take this battle outside.”

I charged up my own energy blast and fired at the ceiling to create a large hole.

“Follow me.” I said. I unfurled my wings and launched myself up into the air.

“If you insist.” She added

She also flew up and joined me in midair. We were now hovering in our new battleground; the land was still dark black in the early hours of the morning and a faint wind blew through the air.

I felt…I don’t know what to call it. I suppose I was a little scared because I knew what I was up against and I knew the consequences of losing this battle. But I also felt…invigorated, like I was fighting for something that really mattered, not just for people but for an ideal. Above all else, I was ready. I exhaled, relaxing my body and heard a theme for battle begin to play in my head.

Nightmare made the first move; she dashed towards me and began firing her magic beams. I began flying away from her, rolling to the left or right to dodge her laser blasts. On the ground below I saw the affects her lasers would have on my body as one of them disintegrated a tree, leaving nothing but a stump with a charred top.

“Yet another reason for me to dodge her.” I thought.

I needed to think strategically, I wasn’t used to having an alicorn form so ideas didn’t come to me as quickly. The most logical thing would be to attack her where she didn’t expect; I started doing a loop, and then when I was upside down and Nightmare was directly in my sights I fired a beam of energy at her. Unfortunately, she caught on to me and looked up, seeing my beam coming at her.

“That attack won’t touch me!” She exclaimed.

She fired an energy blast at mine and the two collided, creating a sphere of the two combined energies. We fought each other for control of this power but it felt like neither one of us could beat the other. Eventually, the two beams of energy just gave up on each other and exploded, cancelling them both out.

The explosion covered my eyes for a few seconds and when it dissipated I saw nothing, Nightmare had vanished.

“Where did she go?” I said aloud.

I heard Nightmare chuckle a high pitched and echoey chuckle. “You are not the only one who moves quickly in the veil of night.”

I looked around for her but couldn’t see her anywhere on the horizon, then I turned around and saw her right in front of me.

“Oh.” I said to myself, knowing this wouldn’t end well.

Nightmare pulled back and slammed into me with her full body weight and it sent me flying down towards the ground. Before I could recover I hit the ground and slammed into several trees, breaking branches as I flew through the air, until I hit the base of a tree and slid down until I lay on the ground. I got up slowly, trying to get on all four hooves and stand proudly.

“Well, that was unpleasant.”

I shook my head, trying to get myself back in my right mindset. She was strong, stronger than I would have thought.

“You seem to be having trouble again.” I heard a voice say.

But unlike the voice before, I recognized this one right away.

“You…” I said, dripping with hate.

I had heard this voice only once before but I knew it was evil. It told me evil and hateful things to do to my enemies, dark things. I head it once before when I was preparing to fight Gilda, it told me to kill her.

“What’s wrong? Having trouble fighting the big scary black pony?” He said, teasing me.

“Shut up, I can handle this!” I told him.

I spread my wings and flew back into the thick of things. Once I was in the air I was face to face with Nightmare again.

“I had hoped that little push of mine wouldn’t finish you. I’m not done with you yet.”

“Nor am I.”

I rushed forward to punch her in the face but she put up her hooves and blocked the blow, then she grabbed my hoof and twisted it, flipping me in midair and then she slammed into my stomach causing me to fall. But this time I extended my wings and stopped myself short.

“You are holding back, I can tell.” I heard him say.

“I’m fighting as hard as I can.” I replied back.

“I mean you aren’t using your best material, it would be easy for you to launch a mountain at her and yet you refuse to.”

“I can’t…it’s still Luna in there.”

“Is it? In 1000 years she could not get rid of the darkness inside her. What makes you think she can fight it now?”

I flew back up into the battlefield, charging at Nightmare. “I…I can’t-“

“It’s not that you can’t, it’s that you won’t. You won’t do what is needed to save the lives of hundreds.”

As much as I hated it, he was right. Even face to face with an evil pony that could kill me I couldn’t find it in me to harm Luna. She was my friend, and I wouldn't ever hurt her on purpose.

I was back to fighting Nightmare moon, she only smiled her evil toothy smile at me. “You’re getting tired young one, I think this fight is almost over.”

I looked at her, with faltering resolve. “No it’s not.”

“Isn’t it?” She cried.

She fired a quick bolt of energy at me, but I wasn’t fast enough and I put up a barrier just as it hit. The barrier was weak and I could feel it cracking under her intense force. Pretty soon it broke and the beam hit me, leaving an explosion of smoke in its wake.

“Hm, too bad. That blast was supposed to kill you.” She said.

As the smoke from the blast cleared I started breathing heavily. Her attacks were starting to take their toll on my body and I felt my stamina running out.

“Let me in…” I heard him say silently.

I tried to hold it back, but something in my brain just…snapped. I looked up at Nightmare not with determination but with hatred, my gaze was cold and unfeeling and my heart was beating with white hot rage. All I could see was red, so much red in fact that even my irises turned red.

“My turn…” I said quietly.

Nightmare was confused. “What?”

Without replying I launched a beam at Nightmare, but she was fast enough to dodge it. I launched three more and she barely managed to get out of their way.

“Dodge this!” I cried.

I launched dozens of smaller energy spheres out of my horn, all headed Nightmare’s way. She put her legs up and turned her head to the side to hopefully block the attack, but the impact never came. When she looked back at me she saw that she was in the middle of a sphere made of these energy blasts.

“Nowhere for you to run now…” I said, triumphantly. “Converge!”

The minute I said that the orbs came flying at her from all directions, she tried to move out of the way but she couldn’t escape most and they pounded on her relentlessly. Pretty soon five of them hit her and once and it caused a massive explosion.

This felt good; seeing her explode takes away some of the pain in my own body, gives me a tingling sensation.

When the dust from that explosion cleared I saw that she was still standing (or hovering, whatever you wanna call it) She was good at dodging with her wings and if I gave her an opening she would just pull up a shield like I did. I needed to find some way to finish her quickly, crippling her if I have to.

“You’re very good with your wings…” I said.

Then I used my vanishing technique and disappeared out of sight. Nightmare tried to locate me again but to no avail.

I appeared behind her and pulled her into a bear hug, holding her wings against her back. “Let’s see how you do without them.”

I retracted my own wings and without them we began falling down to the ground. Nightmare saw this and tried to struggle free from my grip, but I held on to her as hard as I could, I would not let her escape this time. She tried to head butt me to get out of my grip but by my strength I remained resolute.

“Let go of me ingrate!” She screamed.

“Never! I will save Equestria and end you you revolting cow!”

This time she leaned back and jabbed me in the face with her horn, I wasn’t prepared for this and I did lose my grip. But I wasn’t going to stop my approach, as she pulled away I kicked her wings as hard as I could and I could see her retract them in pain.

“If we plummet you’ll die to!” She cried.

“So be it!”

Continuing our fall I sped up to catch up to her, and to make sure she couldn’t unfurl her wings again I began grappling with her. We began twisting and spinning in midair, punching and kicking for dominance. Once I had her pinned she could see the castle getting closer and closer to us.

“You’re insane!” She cried out, afraid of what was about to happen.

‘Then we understand each other!” I cried out, adding a hearty laugh to that sentence.

Nightmare wasn’t completely done yet; she pushed off me and got a few feet’s distance between us.

“You cannot kill me! My night shall last FOREVER!” She screamed.

She cloaked herself in a sphere of her aquamarine energy and continued to scream at me, making it clear that she was about to give me all she has.

“Time for the grand finale!” I screamed as well.

I concentrated, focusing as much energy as I could muster for this attack. Sparks began to come out of my horn, energy began building and growing bigger until I was surrounded in a sphere of blue electricity.

“Fusion bolt!” I cried.

We charged at each other with full fury, our spheres met and through them I could see her angry growl and she could see mine. We flew through the air in these orbs, meeting a few times to take a strike at each other until one big push from me caused us to plummet directly into the side of the castle, dispelling both our orbs and causing an explosion that caused the roof above us to crack.

The girls laid on the ground, thrown back by the sheer force of the blast. When they arose they looked before them and saw both Nightmare and I unconscious, laying atop one another. They feared the worst until I groaned and opened up my brown eyes slowly, staggering as I tried to stand on my four legs.

Everything hurt. I could feel quite literally every little bit of pain in my body from my lungs to my bones and to my legs. Seeing I got up, the girls quickly hurried over to me and congratulated me on my victory.

“You did it Will” Twilight exclaimed.

“That was…awesome!” Rainbow Dash said.

“I was really impressed.” Applejack said.

“When we get back, we’re having cake!” Pinkie said.

I laughed a bit, but not too much. “Thanks girls, the moral support is really appreciated.”

Twilight looked behind me at the unmoving body of Nightmare Moon. “Is she…?” Twilight started to ask.

“I don’t know, I hope not. I tried my best not to harm her too severely but… I just felt this rage and…I couldn’t stop myself.”

“Well we need to do something about this. I’ll send a letter to Celestia as quickly as I can, she can send over the elements of harmony and we can get rid of this evil once and for all.”

I sighed. “That’s nice. Now if you’ll excuse me I think I’m going to crawl into a ball…and pass out.”

Twilight laughed. “Go ahead. You’ve earned a rest.”

“Yeah, I just need to-grah!“

I stopped my sentence short as I felt something pass right through my body, I looked down and saw some sort of starry night sky. I felt myself being lifted off the ground; as I turned I saw that it was Nightmare moon, she was back up and somehow she was able to impale me with her ethereal mane. The girls looked in shock as I heard Nightmare laugh evily once more.

“If you will not break on the outside, then I will do it from within!” She exclaimed.

I felt all of my energy draining and the last thing I saw before passing out was her evil presence silhouetted against the night and the beautiful pale moon. I’m sorry girls…I think I’ve failed this time.

Author's Note:

Is this chapter a bit shorter than my other ones? Yes. DId it take a while for it get here? Yes. Was it necessary for me to leave you all on a cliffhanger? No...but it was fun.

Next is the exciting conclusion of the Nightmare saga. What events will take place? What has Nightmare Moon done to Will? Can she be defeated or will eternal night come to pass? Don't miss a single line of the next exciting chapter!

Also, don't forget to like, comment, and favorite if you enjoyed this chapter. You can even leave ideas for me and if I like it enough it may just come true.
Until next time, this is Spiderwilliam signing off.