• Published 11th Jan 2014
  • 5,678 Views, 578 Comments

Pony Planet: Side Stories - Admiral Biscuit



Deleted scenes and side stories from Onto the Pony Planet

  • ...
11
 578
 5,678

Sea Swirl's Dive (Onto the Pony Planet)

Onto the Pony Planet: Side Stories
Sea Swirl’s Dive
Admiral Biscuit

This story takes place at the same time as A New Dawn part I.

Sea Swirl sat in the back of a small boat, in a spot which was mostly shaded by the derrick’s supports. Even in the cool morning air, she was too hot, but there was nothing she could do about it now. It was too hard to put her suit on in the boat, especially over all the layers of clothes she was wearing.

She glared at Coco’s back. He was leaning over the bow of the boat, slowly lowering a weighted shot-line. She could hear him counting quietly as each knot passed his hooves. When he reached fifty, she grimaced. That was one hundred fifty feet, and farther than she’d ever dived before. And still the line was spooling out.

They’d been lucky when it came to this salvage operation. Twilight had not only remembered that Sea Swirl had a diving suit and knew how to use it, but she’d also informed the Royal Guard that they were to offer her their assistance—which meant that their boat had been towed to the reservoir and launched with no work on her part. She’d even gotten a Unicorn Guard to braid her mane and tail before she got dressed.

If my tail wasn’t tied to my hind legs right now, I’d be swishing it in irritation, she thought. She wiped some sweat off her forehead. Coco had finally stopped playing out line and was clipping on a buoy.

“One eighty,” he announced. “Are you—”

“What’s the dive table say?”

Coco squinted down at a piece of oiled canvas nailed to the foredeck, by the winch. “About one hour down. Four up.”

She grimaced. It was going to be a long day. “All right.”

Sea Swirl double-checked her equipment. It was a ritual she’d learned years ago, and one which she never deviated from. What she was about to do was extremely hazardous.

Her boat was crowded, with two pump mechanisms on the foredeck and a derrick in the stern. The bespelled accordion bellows was happily pumping up and down—she had great faith in Twilight’s spells, and assumed it would keep operating for the required six hours, but machines and magic were known to fail, which was why it was backed up by her old hand-cranked air pump and Coco Crusoe. He’d also handle all the heavy lifting that was required.

Her last task was to throw a hoofful of enchanted orange and yellow glow-gems overboard. By finding them on the bottom of the reservoir, she’d hopefully define her search area. If not, they were going to have to wait for a diving bell to be freighted in from Baltimare.

“I’m ready,” she told Coco.

“Sure? It’s a long dive.”

She grinned. “If it works, Twilight owes me big-time. If not, we’ve lost nothing but a day. If things go really wrong . . . sell the house and what equipment you can recover, and head to the tropics like you’ve always wanted.”

“It wouldn’t be the same without you,” he muttered.

“I’ll be fine, Coco. I’ve done this before.” She lifted up her helmet and floated it over to her head. “Come on, bolt me in.”

She heard him fiddling with the fasteners for a minute, then her head was pushed forward as he connected the air hose. Now all the sounds from outside were completely muffled by the heavy copper helmet and the constant pulse of the bellows pump.

From now on, it was hoof signals only. Coco walked around to her front—where she could see him—and made a motion like pulling a rope, then nodded. I’m tethered, she thought. He walked around her, pressing his head against each of the joints in the suit, making certain none of them were leaking. She could feel his head against her body, and tensed when he pressed up against her rump. Instinct told her to buck him away, but she just took a deep breath and soon enough he moved on.

Once again he stood in front of her. He reached a hoof up and made a motion over his brisket, then nodded. Suit is airtight. Next he tapped his temple. Suit lights are on. She’d paid dearly for two crystal lamps, but without them she’d be operating mostly blind when she was underwater. Finally, he touched his forelock. Sea Swirl concentrated and slowly lifted a belaying pin out of the rail, eight feet in front of her muzzle. They’d devised that test years ago; it gave her an idea of horn range. The helmet blocked her spells, but she’d found the distance wasn’t always consistent. She wasn’t sure why, but it was important to know her assets and liabilities before each dive.

She stomped twice, then twice again: the signal that she was ready to dive. Coco moved away and a minute later she felt the reinforced straps around her barrel pull tight. As soon as her hooves were off the deck, Coco tugged on the derrick and swung her over the water. This was the tensest point of the operation—the boat was unstable with the derrick arm out, and if it capsized it would drag her down to the bottom with it. She was unlikely to be able to cut free from the rope and drop her weights in time to ascend.

Once he’d rotated her around and secured the counterweight, she began to feel the rhythmic tugs of the winch being wound out, and watched as the boat seemed to rise in front of her. Her hooves splashed into the reservoir, and sooner than she expected, the water was at neck level, then it was rising across her faceplate, and then she was underwater.

Her descent stopped after her helmet was fully submerged. She looked up, and a moment later Coco’s face peered out over the stern. He was making a final check for air bubbles. Finding none, he nodded and disappeared again. A moment later, Sea Swirl felt the air pressure in her suit begin to rise, before the spring valve kicked open and started venting the excess pressure. With a jerk, the line began to move again, and she started her descent.

When she snorkeled, there was a huge difference between above and below. Sounds became muffled and unfocused—it was kind of frightening to almost completely lose one of her most vital senses, and it was the first one that she noticed was gone. In her hardhat suit, though, there were no sounds except for the pssh-pah of the bellows pump, and the slightly oily smell of the air.

At this shallow depth, her headlights served no purpose except to attract fish. Already, they were schooling towards her, investigating the stranger in their midst. Some of the fish would just dart around her, while other kinds would bump into her suit before swimming off. She’d been nipped a few times when she was snorkeling, but it didn’t hurt. It was more like a pinchy kiss.

She focused her thoughts on the task at hoof. Coco was going to lower her until she got within a few feet of the ground, based on the length of the shot-line. She should come down in the middle of where the crystals landed, hopefully. After that, the plan got a little bit more vague. The last few feet of hoist-rope were run through a block-and-tackle, which she could use for minor altitude changes. If she needed more, she could inflate a green bag from the exhaust valve on her suit and send it up, and Coco would give her a hundred feet of line. At that point, she’d be able to move about pretty freely, but would be stirring up the muck on the bottom of the lake.

Sea Swirl tilted her head as far back as she could manage. She was in dusky water now, her vision limited to the extent of her headlamps. She could no longer make out anything on the surface, and of course the bottom was too far away to see. She’d entered a strange limbo world of blackness where nothing had meaning any more. A few larger fish swam up to her, darting in and out of her headlamps. One of them stayed with her for an eternity, lazily swimming circles around her. She could occasionally see him flash through the stream of bubbles coming from her exhaust valve.

Eventually, the water seemed to lighten—just an illusion caused by her lights reflecting off the bottom. She carefully reached up and turned her left headlamp off, sending that side of the world into darkness. Off in the distance, she could see a few crystals glowing. A yellow crystal had attracted a crab, who was attempting to eat it.

She kicked her legs to rotate herself around the rope. She had to be careful, because it was very easy to overcorrect. A careful, controlled motion was needed, but it took a few kicks to get moving. As she turned, she counted the crystals, watching their spread carefully. As best as she could tell, she’d landed on the very outside of their arc. It was a good sign; it meant that there was no current to speak of, and things generally fell straight down.

The rope stopped her a foot from the bottom. She tapped her left headlight back on and reached all four of her legs forward. The combination of the heavy helmet and her weighted boots shifted her center of gravity forward of the rope, and she pivoted nose-down until she was facing the bottom in a very weird position. Sea Swirl waved her front hooves to start her turning again, looking carefully where the light was focused. The last thing she wanted to do was land directly on top of the glasses.

After she’d completed her inspection of her landing zone and found nothing, she moved her legs back and slowly leveled out. She reached out with her horn, feeling for the brake on the block and tackle. When she found it, she tugged it loose, letting the rope unwind and drop her unceremoniously onto the lakebed. A huge cloud of silt billowed up around her, reducing her vision to inches. She counted patiently as it settled, watching to see if it drifted.

By the time she’d reached “30 pegasus pony,” it was clear enough to see the bottom again. Not great, but not terrible either. She’d dived in a lake where the bottom was so silty she’d only made two steps before being completely blinded, waiting out her time until Coco pulled her back up.

She grabbed the green bag off her suit and carefully held it in her aura over her exhaust valve. Once it was swollen with air, she tugged the drawstring shut and let it drift upwards. Once Coco saw it, he’d give her more slack.

There would be no signal to pull her back up. Once her bottom time had been reached, Coco would simply start winching the hoist. If they deviated from the plan, the rest stops would not come at the right time, and she’d suffer a very painful lingering death. That fact had been pounded into her by her instructors, day after day. She wasn’t sure she believed them—after all, fish could swim from the bottom to the surface with no ill effects, and dolphins could dive pretty deep, too. Still, they were so earnest, it was hard not to believe what they were telling her, and she’d seen the evidence for herself when she met a sandhog from Manehattan who acted like he was stepping on glass whenever he walked.

A minute passed before she felt the rope on her back loosen, then slowly fall across her body. She knew he would play the line out slowly, to give her time to move clear of it. She picked a pair of orange gems as her targets—one in front of her and one behind. She’d walk a line pattern, using them for a reference. If she was lucky, she’d find what she was looking for.

She cast a metal-finding spell—one of the handier spells she’d learned for underwater work—and began walking. One pace forward, moving slowly to minimize silt. Scan the lakebed. Look up at the glow-gem. One pace forward. It was a process that would stretch on into forever, and at the end of it she might have nothing to show for her effort.

Already she could tell that the pressure was affecting her. While her vision through the front port wasn’t very good to begin with, a faint greyish haze had begun to creep over her peripheral vision. It was not unexpected; she’d noticed that symptom on much shallower dives. It would go away once she ascended. It was inconvenient and annoying, but nothing more.

Step. Stop. Search. Spot. Step. Stop. Search. Spot. Her world narrowed to the nearly featureless grey landscape in front of her hooves. To deviate from the plan was to miss something, so she continued her cautious automatic pace. She reached the first glow-gem and turned around, walking one body-length over from her previous path.

Her horn occasionally picked out a small bit of metal. She’d give each a pull; if it was shallow enough in the silt to come out, she’d float it in front of her mask and inspect it before putting it into her bag. It always amazed her at the objects she found, and today was no exception. By her tenth lane, she’d picked up a half-dozen rusty nails, an ore-bearing rock which she tossed over into one of her previous search lanes, two empty cans, one bit coin, and a very rusty buckle.

Sea Swirl caught a movement out of the corner of her eye—sort of in the grey haze—and blinked. Did that gem just move? She glared at it, and it stayed in place, but now the bubbles coming from her exhaust valve seemed to have taken on a faint green hue. She turned her attention to the bubbles, and saw the gem begin to dance around again, and it was no longer alone. Whenever a gem was not in her direct line of sight, it started moving. I’ve never seen that before. A small knot of fear began gnawing at her stomach.

On her twentieth lane, she ran into a spear which was jabbed point-first into the bottom. She was so busy concentrating on the area of ground right in front of her muzzle that she walked right into it, knocking it over in a small puff of silt. She lifted it back up and held it in front of her muzzle, looking at it carefully. The tip was sparking in a faint magenta color, and she watched in wonder as motes of light spun off it and vanished into the dark water.

The spear seemed very important, and she struggled to remember if it was why she was here. It was getting harder and harder to remember what she was doing in this wasteland. But she remembered that there was a pouch on her left foreleg, and that was where the . . . thing she was looking for was supposed to go. The spear wouldn’t fit, so it must not be what she wanted. She dropped it again and moved on. Step. Stop. Search. Spot.

Another long stretch of slow plodding yielded her an additional copper coin—nation of origin unknown—and a horseshoe. Her dive bag was beginning to look like she’d been gathering the detritus found outside a smithy.

She found the glasses on lane twenty-seven. Without her spell, she never would have spotted them, but the faint glow around the frames made them stand out.

As she had with the spear, she held them in front of her face mask. She fought to find the perfect distance—too far, and she couldn’t see details; too close and they were inside of the helmet lights. Sea Swirl had to work to keep them steady enough to examine. Whenever she looked away from them, they twisted away from her telekinesis and she had to move her head around until she could find where they went.

They had thin wire frames and unusual earpieces that didn’t seem like something a pony would make. She almost threw them back down as useless, but there was a nagging thought in her mind that they were important. Somewhere, she had a pouch which they should go in, but she couldn’t remember quite where it was.

She reached up a hoof to steady them—they were wavering in her field again—and noticed a small pouch on the leg of her suit, with a short length of twine floating freely. Gingerly, she slid them into the pocket, holding her leg uncomfortably high so that it was fully illuminated by her suit’s lights. She worked slowly, because most of her dexterity was gone and if she dropped them during her ascent, they might never be found.

She carefully laced the twine on the flap closed, cinching the top down tight, before looping a clove hitch over the bottom button. She yanked it as tight as she could. The lacing would have to be cut off when she got back to the top, but that was all right. She’d no longer have any use for the pouch this dive, and she could re-string it on the boat.

She began her slow, plodding walk again. Off in the distance, she could see a single orange glow which remained steady, and thought it was something she ought to head towards. Her hooves were absurdly heavy, and it was very hard to walk. She began to sweat despite the chill, and felt a prickling sensation at the back of her neck.

She stopped abruptly when she came across a trail of hoofprints in the silt. They were not clear at all, and looked like somepony had been dragging its hooves. The only creature she knew that wandered around in dark, vacant places and dragged its hooves was a zombie. She began to become convinced that a zombie was following her, and looked around in fear. There were no zombies to be seen—but that’s when zombies were the most dangerous. When they couldn’t be seen. Everypony knew that. Her heart began to beat faster.

Suddenly, the harness around her belly pulled tight and tugged her hooves off the bottom. Sea Swirl shrieked as she bounced up and dropped back down.

In a panic, she tried to run, but there was something holding her back. It was like a nightmare as her hooves dug into the soft ground, kicking up clouds of sediment but accomplishing nothing else. She could feel herself beginning to be dragged backwards, and there was nothing she could do about it. Her head was filled with a loud panting noise that she knew was coming from herself, and a strange pssh-pah that was obviously coming from the monster.

Clouds of silt completely blocked her view, reflecting the lights on her helmet back at her face. She thought about trying to pull the helmet off, but vaguely remembered that it was held down with large wing nuts she probably couldn’t loosen in time. Some other reason was nagging at her memory, but before she could ponder it further, her hooves lifted free of the ground for the final time and left her uselessly trying to gallop while suspended.

She started twisting on her rope, and started to feel nauseated. Finally accepting defeat, she stopped moving, closed her eyes, and waited for whatever came next. She hoped it wouldn’t be painful.

A faint jerkiness to her upward motion finally percolated through her brain, and she remembered that she had been diving. Coco must be pulling me back up. She concentrated on slowing her breathing and paying attention to the movement of the rope. He liked to move the winch crank faster on the downstroke, letting her know when she was moving and when she was not.

Details began to come back, and she thought about the strange things she’d seen on the bottom. Another diver had told her that deep water dives could cause hallucinations, and she wondered if that had happened to her. Certainly, there hadn’t been any zombies on the bottom; that was in her imagination. It wasn’t her imagination that the pouch on her leg was securely tied shut, so she knew she’d gotten what she came for.

• • •

The anticipation of the dive had long since worn off, and the euphoria of finding the glasses was gone now, too. All that was left was the slight giddiness of breathing compressed air for so long, and she tried her best to ignore it. There wasn’t much she could do, anyway. She was totally alone, floating in a hostile environment, utterly dependant on Coco for her life. Of the thousands of things that could go wrong, at this point he was the only pony who could fix them; if he couldn’t, she’d die. It was that simple, and strangely, it didn’t bother her at all. It was liberating—short of cutting her own air line or the winch rope, she had no control over her destiny.

What was it that allows me to trust Coco so fully? She didn’t know. They didn’t have what anypony else would consider a normal relationship; neither one of them had the slightest interest in starting a family together. Coco wanted to go to the tropics, and sooner or later she’d move back to the coast to stay, but they just went on with their lives together. He had his friends and she had hers. She liked to go to the bowling alley or hang out by the water, while he preferred an evening at the tavern if he was feeling social, or sitting home with a book about the tropics if he wasn’t. Sometimes they’d go weeks without any contact, and other times they’d spend the night together—usually at Coco’s home. Sometimes they had sex, other times they didn’t.

She watched as fish darted through the beams of her headlamps. She liked watching fish. Sometimes she’d put her weight belt over her back, strap on her goggles and snorkel, and just walk into the water and watch the fish play for hours.

She slowly rose further. The water lightened to the point where she no longer needed her headlamps, so she turned them off. She could see the shadowy shape of the boat above, but was still too deep to make out any details. What felt like an eternity of waiting began, and she knew it would only get longer as she got closer. The last few stops were tantalizingly close to the surface, but to leave too quickly would kill her. In that regard, she had much in common with her scaly friends.

She shivered inside her suit. The water was still cold—and all the layers she was wearing didn’t seem to be doing their job. Of course, it didn’t help that she’d been panicking down there on the bottom. The light that was filtering down from above was little more than a tease, and she knew that she still had hours to go before she could come back out of the water.

Her clothes were uncomfortably bunched up under her elbow, right where the front strap of the hoist ran, but there was nothing she could do to shift the wrinkles. She could already feel a welt forming.

• • •

The sun was blazing far overhead when Coco finally pulled her free of the water. He cinched the brake on the winch and released the counterweight, carefully swinging her around until she was back over the deck, rocking slightly back-and-forth on her rope.

When he finally lowered her to the deck, she had to take a moment to remember how to stand. He wasted no time in unbolting her helmet and pulling it loose. As her suit sagged around her, Sea Swirl took deep breaths of fresh air, blowing a couple of times to clear the residue of oil and rubber and her own sweat from her nostrils.

Coco, meanwhile, unstrapped the weights from her back and loosened her lead-plated shoes. He gently lifted each hoof free and set it down again, letting her take her time getting her legs back under her. His eyes went over to the pouch. “You got it?”

“Yup.” She yawned. “Help me out of this suit. I’ve got to pee like crazy and then get some food in me.” She untied the pouch from her leg and floated it over to their valuables box. The box was watertight, and painted a brilliant yellow, so if it fell overboard and sank, she’d be able to find it again. With just the glasses in it, the box would float, so she made sure it was clear of any obstructions. If something happened to the boat, she was damned if she was going to go back down again.

Coco nuzzled her gently, unbothered by the film of sweat on her neck and her matted-down coat. Her mane had come askew from its braid and was crazily sticking up. “Roll over.”

He worked the suit loose, carefully sliding it down her body an inch at a time. He moved slowly, making sure it didn’t snag on anything on the boat. As awkward as it was, it was the only way for a pony to remove a one-piece suit. Any fastener could leak, so it was best to avoid them entirely.

The inside of the suit was filled with condensed sweat, muddy talcum powder, and clumps of loose fur. It was unavoidable, really; a watertight suit worked both ways. Once Coco had set it off to the side, he began helping her take off the rest of her clothes. They worked quickly, throwing them into a pile near the derrick. Later, she’d have to wash all of it.

Once he got the socks on her hind legs off, he unwrapped the cotton strips that held her tail to her cannon, letting it fall free. Later, once all the dive gear was secured, he’d help her unbraid and untangle her mane and tail, but for now just being free from her legs was good enough.

“I’m going up to the bow,” she said, flicking her liberated tail.

“Wind,” he reminded her.

“Stern, then.” She stuck her tongue out. He ignored her and picked up her suit with his teeth, hanging it on the side of the derrick and securing it with a short length of rope. Her saddlebags were tucked under the winch mount, and her helmet was slid into a box.

He unspooled a few feet of winch line, and snapped the hook around a short steel rod. He cranked it up, to take tension off the safety pins, and pulled them loose, then unwound the winch until the counterweight had descended to a few inches above the water. It looked silly, but it would make the boat far more stable.

“Box of sandwiches up in the bow. Made ‘em myself.”

“I’ll take you up on that.” Sea Swirl stepped carefully around the tangle of lines.

“Wanna keep the shot-line down, or pull it?”

“I got what we came for,” she said, lifting the lid and selecting a sandwich. She floated it to her muzzle and took a sniff before stuffing half of it in her mouth. “Af e’m wron, u’ll cwm ay awter tomaww.”

“Didn’t your mom tell you it was rude to talk with your mouth full?”

She swallowed and glared at him. “You come up here and I’ll show you rude.” He ignored her and sat on the center bench. He slipped his hooves through the loops on the oars.

“Get the anchor.” Without waiting for a response, he dug the oars into the water and pulled, causing the unicorn to stumble before regaining her footing. As he rowed, she started turning the crank on the windlass. There’d be a lot of line out; the depth of the water demanded it. Fortunately, there was no current on the lake, and there’d been no appreciable wind, or else he’d have had to set all three anchors, and they didn’t own enough line for that. As it was, he’d spliced the stern anchor line into the bow anchor. and it was still shorter than it should have been.

“I’m gonna hand those glasses over to the guard as soon as we get ashore,” she muttered, starting a second sandwich. “You know what I’m gonna do then?”

“Nope.”

“I’m gonna trot over to your house and go soak in your tub long enough for you to stow everything on the boat and get her out of the water.”

“Uh-huh.” He kept rowing, picking up speed now that the anchor was finally clear of the water.

“Yeah. Then I’m going to head over to the spa and have Lotus untangle my hair.”

“I can do that, if you want.”

“You’re going to be busy making sure the guards don’t damage the boat.”

“I will be.” He’d reached his perfect pace, and just concentrated on dipping the oars in the water, pulling them up to his barrel, and repeating the process.

“I’ll come back once Lotus’s done, don’t worry.”

“Wasn’t.”

Sea Swirl glared at him. It did her no good; his back was to her. “I’m not gonna let you mess up my mane.”

“You’re the one who needs to calm down,” he muttered. “If it gets mussed, it’s on you. I’ll have dinner waiting for when you get back.”

“There are some veggies in my pantry. Can you make a salad with them? I don’t want them to spoil.”

“Yup.” Pull. Return. Dip. Pull. “Everything hold up okay down there?”

“Not very good visibility. We might want to think about running more line through the pulley. Try it out in shallow water and see what works. Too much and I risk tangling the air hose.”

“Gotta tell Twilight her come-to-life spell worked like a charm.” The bellows-pump was still merrily going up and down. “I’ll keep an eye on it, so we know how long it’ll run.” Not breaking his rhythm, he turned to look at her. “How did you do?”

Sea Swirl gazed out over the reservoir. Flashes of sunlight off the wavelets glittered like diamonds. Up close to the shore, a pegasus guard swooped low to the water, dragging his hooves to raise a splash before banking towards them. She knew she was taking too long to answer, but he didn’t press her. “It was difficult.” She didn’t want to lie to him, but she didn’t want to tell him the whole truth, either. As much as she trusted him, he had never done a deep dive, and that was a gulf between them. She didn’t expect him to, not if he didn’t want to—but neither could she fully explain what it was like, when he had no frame of reference.

The two of them fell silent. Sea Swirl sat down in the bow, her hunger abated. Coco kept the boat moving at a good pace across the placid waters of the reservoir.

She put a hoof in the water and watched it vee around her, the ripples and splashes glittering like diamonds. Already she missed the bottom, the strange world that few ponies knew. Tomorrow, she wouldn’t dive—she couldn’t—but maybe the day after they could bring the boat back out to the reservoir and she could explore in shallower water. Take her time. Maybe just watch the fish swimming around. That would be nice.

Author's Note:

Click Here to learn more about dive suits and diving!