• Published 9th Jan 2014
  • 4,832 Views, 697 Comments

I just don't know what went right... - DerpyDitzyDerpyDo



Celestia, Godlike ruler of all Equestria, is falling desperately in love... with a derpy eyed mailmare who just can't seem to do anything right.

  • ...
21
 697
 4,832

Part Three, Chapter Three: In with all the cool cats


"Well, it seems we have a new student joining us for today," said Cheerilee, looking more than a little nonplussed. She eyed me suspiciously, doubtless wondering what kind of friends I had in high places in order to get the letter of transfer with the royal seal I had presented to her earlier that same day, "From Canterlot! Class please give a warm welcome to... uh... what did you say your name was again, dear?"

"Sun Beam, but please call me Sunny. All my friends do," I put on my sweetest grin.

I'd damn near had to fight my way out of the castle this morning. Luna had been abusing her temporary size advantage to carry me around, cuddle me, pose me on my throne and take embarrassingly large quantities of photographs. Her recompense for taking care of my paperwork, I suppose.

The spell, or more accurately 'spells' as there were several layers to my disguise enchantments, had worked perfectly. Age magic was notoriously difficult but I had pulled it off without a hitch. My body had been shrunk back to that of a mere filly without any side effects, even my mane and tail had returned to the rose pink hue that they had sported during the days of my youth. The second layer of glamour had been to hide my wings, a conspicuous indicant of alicornhood that would be very difficult to explain. I had decided to leave my horn as pretending to be a unicorn might prove to be a useful conversation starter with the young Dinky. It had, however, had to be shrunk. My horn has always been abnormally long, even before I became an alicorn those many years ago. The final layer of enchantments was to temporarily alter my cutie mark. This was surprisingly, surprising to those inexperienced in such magics at least, almost as difficult as the age reversal spell itself. Cutie marks are notoriously resistant to any form of alteration, magical or even physical. I chose to have my flank appear blank. Dinky had yet to achieve her own cutie mark and anything in common might serve to help me ingratiate myself.

I smiled warmly at my new fellow classmates. Oh, and hello again Diamond Tiara.

"Just what we need! Another blank flank in our class!" sneered the pink and purple filly.

What was that, Diamond Tiara? You want me to cast a truth spell on you again? Why of course! It would be my pleasure.

"Sunny will be joining us as a guest student for the day," said Cheerilee as she cast a stern glance at the class bully, "Go have a seat next to Shady Daze in the corner there."

I recognized the young colt and, for a moment, I feared he may have recognised me as well. Shady gave me a curious stare. I reciprocated with an innocent eyelid flutter and he eventually relented, turning back to listen as Cheerilee began teaching.

Dinky was seated in the back of the class, leaning on her hoof. She looked bored and I would come to sympathize with her. Not that Cheerilee wasn't doing her best, mind you. But sitting in on a class for foals was less than intellectually stimulating for a two thousand year old alicorn. I breathed an audible sigh of relief when it finally concluded and recess began.

"Howdy! Uh... Sunny, was it?"asked the small red-maned filly who trotted over to me, followed by two others. I recognised her immediately. The sister of one of the elements of harmony. One third of Gabby Gums, "Mah name's Apple Bloom and these here are mah friends Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo and we're..."

She trotted a few steps backwards to join her friends while drawing a deep breath.

"The Cutie Mark Crusaders!" two of them bellowed.

"The Cutie Mark Crusaders!" cried the third one, about one second out of synch with the other two.

"Dang it, Scootaloo! Ah said to count to three in yer head and then we'd all say it all at the same time," said a rather frustrated Applebloom.

"I did! Wait... when you say count to three do you mean that we should count: One, two, three and then go or do you mean we should count: One, two and then go on three?" asked Scootaloo, looking genuinely confused.

"I think you should go on three... and never come back," Diamond Tiara shoved her way past the other two and strode before me, "Are you lame-kins trying to recruit another blank flank to join your ranks? How pathetic! But you should probably join them! You're so lame that you'd fit in perfectly with these three!" she sniggered.

"I'm sorry. I wasn't listening. What did you just say to me?" I said, my voice dripping with faux sweetness.

"I said: I wasn't able to concentrate on class because I was too busy thinking about Apple Bloom and I'm only acting this way because I'm extremely insecure because I think she knows I like her!" the smile faded from Diamond Tiara's face, "No... no! No! Silver Spoon! Call the nurse! It's happening again!" Diamond Tiara took off at a canter, desperately fleeing the classroom with her silver-maned friend in tow.

"Yeah... don't worry about DT... she's a little weird in the head," muttered Apple Bloom as she feigned disinterest in Diamonds plight, "So, how about it? Wanna help us crusade for our cutie marks?"

Speaking as somepony who has fought in actual crusades against actual crusaders I'm not sure I can co-sign on the name of this little club.

"How about that pony over there? She doesn't seem to have a cutie mark either. Is she a part of your club?" I nodded in Dinky's direction. Time to get this intel gathering mission under way.

"Dinky Doo? We did invite her to join..." said Sweetie Belle, "But she can be a little... prickly," the filly shuffled her hooves and averted her eyes.

Dinky stomped off and settled in the corner to read a book on her own. A bit of a loner then. Odd. She seemed fairly talkative during the time we two had spent together. Maybe a bit too willing to speak her mind, perhaps?

"Prickly? What do you mean?"

"Uh... well... her mom is a little... different to other ponies. And some of the foals here... mostly Diamond Tiara and some others... they make fun of her for it. I guess it's kinda like when you fall asleep in the sun and get a sunburn on your belly and then if even like the lightest blade of grass touches your belly then it hurts like crazy-" began Scootaloo.

"Hyper-sensitive!" interjected Sweetie Belle excitedly.

"Super hyper-sensitive," sighed Scootaloo, "She's kinda hard to be friends with because of that. Also we may have kinda, sorta put an embarrassing photo of her mom in the newspaper so the CMC are not exactly in her good books at the moment."

Diamond Tiara, again. I should have done something meaner to her this time. Maybe magically glue her rump to her stool for a few hours... or turn her hair into seaweed for a day. Later. I've got to stay focused on the mission.

"I think I'd like to talk with her. Please excuse me," they watched me as I walked over to Dinky. I couldn't help but feel a little nervous.

And rightly so. Dinky had proven that she could detect inauthenticity from a mile away. But today I had come prepared. I had asked Luna to do some research on how all the cool and hip young Equestrian ponies talk. Now with the fruits of her labours I would easily impress this young filly and become her new friend. This was going to be a piece of cake.

"Yo, yo, yo, hip diggetty diamond dawg, what's popping in the kitchen?" I asked Dinky as I approached, grinning broadly, "How's it hanging in coolsville, yo? Got any cool, funky dance moves in the hizzouse?"

Nailed it.

Author's Note:

Awww yeah, play that funky music white maaaaaaare~