• Published 9th Jan 2014
  • 4,822 Views, 697 Comments

I just don't know what went right... - DerpyDitzyDerpyDo



Celestia, Godlike ruler of all Equestria, is falling desperately in love... with a derpy eyed mailmare who just can't seem to do anything right.

  • ...
21
 697
 4,822

Part Two, Chapter Five: Love and Fury

"And there we go," Ditzy popped the last letter through the letter box of number eleven of Spruce Avenue, Phillydeplhia, "That's the last one! How're we doing for time?"

The sun had already started to set, drenching the cityscape in gold and stretching our shadows out long across the street.

"Five minutes to six," four and a half minutes to be precise. One of the advantages of being responsible for the sunrise and sunset was that I always knew the exact time.

"Oh, no!" Ditzy fluttered her wings in panic, "How far are we from Ponyville? I have to get home to Dinky!"

"Well... we're several hundred miles from Ponyville..." I'm probably responsible for her lateness in more ways than one. I must have stopped her in her route a dozen or more times so I could tease various individuals along the way.

"Oh, no! Oh, no no no!" Ditzy trotted several small frantic circles around me, "What am I gonna do? Dinky's gonna be so mad! Do you think you could stop the sun from setting? Maybe Dinky won't notice how late it is if the sun doesn't set."

"I could... but the results would be disastrous..."

"Yeah, I really shouldn't lie to Dinky. She'd see through it anyway," said Ditzy, mournfully. That wasn't exactly what I meant. But as usual, it warmed my heart to see that being honest with her foal meant more to her than the wide scale ecological consequences of halting the motion of an enormous celestial body.

"Don't worry your pretty little head about it," I smiled, "Just close your eyes and I will take care of everything."

"You... you will?" When I nodded Ditzy squeezed her eyes shut and stood ramrod still.

I drew myself up to my full height. Power coursed through me, once again. Teleportation could be a finicky and difficult magic even at short ranges. And its difficulty increases exponentially when you do not have line of sight with your desired end location. But I once teleported and entire battalion nearly a hundred miles into enemy territory. I could easily get one little pegasus back to her daughter.

My magic sparked off. The world around us blurred and flickered and then with a dazzling flash of light we were standing outside of Ditzy's cottage in Ponyville.

Ditzy was still had her eyes scrunched shut and her nose wrinkled, unaware that we had arrived and completely defenceless. I felt a stirring in my chest. Time to begin. Time to stop being cowardly. Time to retake the offensive.

I swallowed hard. My mouth felt so dry. Remember who you are! I am Princess Celestia. Dawnbringer. Heir to the throne of heaven. I have faced armies and monsters and triumphed with ease. I can claim this one mare. My heart felt like it was about to burst out of my chest.

I leaned closer to her. Our lips mere inches apart. Do I dare?

No. Not yet.

I pressed my lips to her forehead. Kissing her as gently as a butterfly alighting on a leaf. But letting my lips linger just a little longer than might have been considered platonic. Giving her the tiniest taste of my warmth before withdrawing.

Ditzy had opened her eyes now and was blushing. She touched the spot where I kissed her with one hoof. Her ears flat against her head.

"Just a thank you for a wonderful day. Now go on. Dinky's waiting. We will see each other again soon," I could not wait for her to respond, instead I turned and walked away. Keeping my regal demeanour and not simply pouncing on her was taking too great a toll on me.

There have been knights who have fought and died for what you just received. But I have so much more I wish to offer you. If only I could just find the courage.

~~~

I awoke the next morning as I had every morning. Just as the first rays of the sun broke the horizon. I yawned and stretched. Yesterday had been truly special. At least it had been until I had returned to the castle to find all the work that had piled up in my absence. Thankfully, a good portion of the paperwork on my desk had turned out to be nothing more than letters from Blueblood complaining about... oh, who knows what. I didn't dignify him with my attention any more.

"Your Majesty? May I come in?"

"Yes, by all means," Raven nervously entered the room, she had a carefully folded newspaper telekinetically hovering next to her. She looked unusually ruffled. Perhaps my dulcet and melodic voice could put her at ease. I assumed my most glowing demeanour, "Good morning, dear Raven. Is everything alright?"

"Um... your Majesty there has been a bit of a... press scandal... as it were... nothing too serious... just a local paper but... I thought that maybe you should take a look..." Raven offered me the newspaper, it trembled in the air due to her shaky nerves.

I took it from her and opened it up. Foal Free Press. Never heard of it. From Ponyville perhaps? I thought that the Ponyville Express was the leading newspaper for...

PRINCESS AND THE PAUPER: PRINCESS CELESTIA CAUGHT PUTTING THE MOVES ON DERPY TOWN MAILMARE.

Gabby Gums snooped the scoop of the century this week when she spotted the Princess of all Equestria kissing our town's clumsiest pony (Pictured above). Sources close to Ditzy Doo say that the two are spending an unusually large amount of time together. Could the Princess really have fallen for such an enormous clutz? Read more on page 6 and find out how...

I didn't read any more. I couldn't. The newspaper had burst into flame.

"Y-y-your M-m-majesty?" stuttered Raven, "It was j-j-just a local paper so not too m-m-many ponies will have seen how-"

She trailed off. I don't think, in the twenty odd years of being my assistant, that Raven had ever seen me truly angry. An ascended alicorn's fury is something that can strike terror into even the bravest of ponies.

The sun had assumed a reddish tint now and the room had begun to tremble as waves of my power rippled outward.

I slowly rose to my hooves.

"They dare," I hissed. As waves of heat wafted off my body Raven beat a hasty retreat, cowering in the doorway as I rose and stepped out of bed, my hooves leaving scorch marks on the carpet

The glass of water on my bedside table had started to boil.

"THEY DARE!" The glass burst into pieces, it would have soaked the carpet if the water had not evaporated mid air, "Who is this Gabby Gums?"

"W-w-we don't know. It's a pseudonym. Th-th-there's nopony by that n-n-name on record that we-"

"Then who is responsible?" I boomed.

"Your M-m-majesty I-"

"GIVE ME A NAME!" My voice at full volume could reduce even Luna's to a whisper by comparison. Raven had to crouch low by the door and hunker down in order to not be bowled backwards.

"D-D-Diamond Tiara is the editor! Sh-sh-she must have been the one who okay-ed this as a front page article," she squeaked, her voice almost swallowed by the rising winds that swept up around me.

"I have been too lenient of late!" my horn burned as brightly as the sun, filling the bedroom with its glare, "Too desperate to be liked. Too unwilling to be strict. And now they have forgotten. Forgotten who I am. Forgotten why they owe their allegiance to me. They would mock my beloved openly? Derpy? Is that what they call her? This is unacceptable. UNNACCEPTABLE!" Every stained glass window in the room shattered at that, punctuating my cry.

"I AM THE CREATOR'S WILL MADE MANIFEST! IT WAS MY SACRIFICES THAT DRAGGED US FROM AN AGE OF CARNAGE AND BLOODSHED TO AN AGE OF PEACE AND TRANQUILITY! IT WAS MY LIGHT THAT GUIDED THEM THROUGH THE DARKNESS! THEY MAY SAY WHAT THEY WISH ABOUT ME BUT I SHALL NOT LET THEM MOCK THOSE I DEEM WORTHY OF MY AFFECTION! I SHALL MAKE AN EXAMPLE OF THIS DIAMOND TIARA! A WARNING TO ALL WHO FORGET THEIR PLACE!"

I leapt from the now open window. Swooping down and soaring on wings of fire out across the open plains towards Ponyville. Nothing can stop me. Nothing alive can withstand my wrath. Diamond Tiara! Whosoever you may be! I am coming for you!

Author's Note:

Sorry it's been so long since the last chapter. I ran out of inspiration and it's really hard to get motivated to write. But I'm gonna try release a bit more regularly.
I'm linking this story to the timeline by tying it in with the episode: Ponyville Confidential. Don't think this warrants an alternate universe tag I think.