• Published 9th Jan 2014
  • 4,830 Views, 697 Comments

I just don't know what went right... - DerpyDitzyDerpyDo



Celestia, Godlike ruler of all Equestria, is falling desperately in love... with a derpy eyed mailmare who just can't seem to do anything right.

  • ...
21
 697
 4,830

Part Two, Chapter One: Plans in Motion

Luna was, unsurprisingly, a nocturnal creature. In truth it was more convenient this way. It meant there was always a Princess awake somewhere in the castle at all hours in case of emergencies and, paradoxically enough, it meant we two had more time to spend with each other. Her duties would begin several hours after mine had ended leaving us with a good solid period to chat.

Every evening I would hear Luna, her booming voice echoing through the halls , as she woke up and made her way to the dining hall. Luna's difficulties with controlling her volume were an unending source of amusement for me. The look on her scribe's face the first time she bellowed at him from a few hooflengths away was a priceless gem that will stay with me forever. I try to remind her when I can but she is still having trouble adjusting. Old habits die hard.

We breakfast together or, more accurately, she eats breakfast and I eat dinner or vice versa, and discuss our respective days... or nights in her case. But tonight would be different. Luna was due to return from her Dream Journey.

The Dream Journeys were the parts of Luna's duties that I had been most relieved to relinquish back to her upon her return to the throne. I hated them. They were frightening, unnerving and never failed to leave me exhausted for several days after I attempted them. The Dreamscape was a place unbound by rules, logic or reason. A place of nightmare and fantasy where any stray thought could twist one's already winding path. When attempting them I'd always felt like I was fumbling around in the dark, dumbly imitating my sister without properly comprehending what I was doing or why I was doing it. Luna had been most frustrated with me when she witnessed what I had wrought of the Dreaming in her absence. She said that we were on the brink of a disaster because of improper maintenance of the Dreamscape and I believe her.

I was waiting patiently in her chambers watching the spot next to her bed where I could sense she would return from. Suddenly a blue spark flickered in the air. It danced and twirled. Growing larger and darker with each passing moment until it looked like a tear in the very fabric of reality. It flickered and blurred as my sister stepped out of it, shrinking upon her exit until it flashed clean out of existence.

"Welcome back," Luna was soaking wet from head to hoof. Dripping onto the plush carpet.

"Raven!" I called, "Be a dear and fetch my sister a towel."

"T'would be much appreciated!" roared my sister, shaking her mane like a dog that just climbed out of a river. She looked sheepish when she saw that she had showered me with the spray. I licked a droplet of it off my lip. Salty.

"Wet dream?" I giggled teasingly.

"Aye, a young colt dreaming himself lost at sea. 'Tis of no concern. He found his own way to shore," my little joke had flown clean over her head, apparently.

Raven hurried into the room with several towels and a very confused look on her face.

"Thank you, that will be all. Feel free to retire for the night," I said, taking the towels and passing one to Luna. Raven bowed and excused herself hurriedly. I think she might still be a little skittish around my sister after an incident involving a plate stacked high with wine glasses and a certain Princess speaking several decibels louder than perhaps the situation demanded.

"How was your trip?" I asked Luna as she wrung out her sparkling mane.

"Satisfactory to say the least. Yet there is still much to be done."

"Perhaps next time you could inform your attendants of your impending departure. They were worrying themselves inside out last night," I dabbed a few stray drips of water off her chin.

"They were?" Luna's joy was palpable. She always perked up when she heard tell of our subjects showing even the smallest affection for her. It was adorable. Her ears pricked up and an eager light formed in her eyes.

"That's not a good thing," I reminded her, "They may take time to adjust to your duties and habits."

"They have had time enough," snorted Luna and then paused as if realizing something, "Why were you waiting in my bedroom? Does some matter demand our royal attention?"

I had thought that a thousand years apart might leave her less attuned to subtle changes in my behaviour patterns but it seems she is as sharp as ever.

I swallowed hard, "I... I have taken an... 'interest' in one of our subjects. I thought I might let you know. "

"Male or female?" she asked, feigning disinterest.

"Female."

"Pretty?" the two of us set off for the dining hall. Luna must be starving after her long journey. We paused, briefly, outside her bedchamber to close the door and hand the towels to the two guards stationed outside it.

"Very. Or at least... I think so. You know I have... unusual tastes." Many of my traits have changed over the millennia. I am not as violent or as confrontational as in the days of my youth. I am more patient and not as quick to anger. I have also become more distant, particularly towards those directly in my employ, after being hurt one too many times by their inevitable expiry. The one thing that has never changed about me, however, is that I have always been attracted to interesting or unusual looking mates, often to my own regret.

"Excellent. And how soon will you be adding her to the royal harem?" asked Luna, I noticed one of the nearby guards trying desperately to look like he wasn't eavesdropping. I cleared my throat and he flinched visibly.

"We don't have... we don't do things like that anymore, Luna," I hissed, hoping she would take the hint and lower the volume of her voice. This was one of the few occasions where her loudness was not quite as hilarious as I usually found it.

"No harems? But then how does one organize one's lovers?" saying Luna was sharply attuned to my subtle cues was perhaps an overstatement on my part. There were times when I thought that perhaps my sister's head was filled with bricks.

"One lover at a time is the general consensus," I shot a glare at the guard and he shrank into his post, he seemed to almost be trying to push himself into the stone wall itself.

"Ah. How disappointing. That would explain why that mare's husband was so upset with me a few nights prior."

I squeezed my eyes shut. Should I ask? Did I really want to know the story behind that offhand remark? No. The answer is no. We set off side by side to get Luna her breakfast.

"So have we been reduced to wooing them as commoners do? How will you woo this new fancy of yours then?"

"Oh, I have a cunning plan. A very cunning plan," I said, giving the furiously blushing guard a parting swish of my tail as we trotted away.

Author's Note:

Does this warrant a sex tag? Maybe just for the innuendos?
I don't wanna give people the wrong idea. This certainly isn't gonna turn into a clop fic all of a sudden.