• Published 29th Dec 2013
  • 10,385 Views, 1,610 Comments

What Hath Joined Together - Bad_Seed_72



Sequel to "The Order". Despite receiving a harsh reprimand from Captain Ironhoof, Flash Sentry still struggles with his feelings for Twilight. When he is assigned to escort her to the Crystal Empire, tensions on all sides escalate.

  • ...
99
 1,610
 10,385

Voir Dire — Part I

Voir Dire — Part I

The six left for the frozen north to see the ways of those of gem. Though the day and night requested that the mage stay with them in the forest, the mage went off to mediate between the six and those of gem, fearing the worst.

Those of gem and their council met the six before the mage arrived. They showed them their land, their mountains, their mines, their ways. A week passed before the six took council amongst themselves, using the mage as scribe there.

During the meeting, the six spoke as such:

“These ponies have a bountiful land,” said the Platinum. “We should consider them to be part of our order and new nation.”

Three of the six agreed with her.

“These ponies have a strange magic,” said the Clover. “We should learn more of them before uniting them under Equestria.”

The other three of the six agreed with her.

“But there is a problem,” said the Meadowbrook. “Some of these stallions know stallions, and some of these mares know mares. How shall we unite them under our order?”

“Perhaps the order is to pass,” said the Regent. “We should learn from those of gem.”

But the others did not listen.

Meadowbrook… One of the other great sorcerers of Starswirl’s time. Twilight Sparkle, eyelids drooping, looked up from the books to her window. The moon shone bright at its highest point in the darkened sky.

Midnight. Twilight glanced over at a mostly full plate of salad and bread. The servants came almost six hours ago… She sighed. I’ve been up for almost… Two days…

I really should...

Though her head hung heavy, her tired eyes itching for sleep, Twilight couldn’t find it in herself to even finish that thought. No. She shook her head. No… Must… Keep… Reading…

By now, the translation was near effortless. The same words jumbled together countless times, and Twilight now knew them by heart. You may have tried to keep your secrets, Starswirl, Twilight thought with a little smirk, but you couldn’t keep them forever.

Now then… A few more sentences here and this page is… Done.

The six agreed, through vote of five to one, to leave those of gem be in the frozen north. The Platinum, the Clover, the Meadowbrook, the Bright Star, and the Dawnmist started for the forest.

The Regent stayed behind.

Before returning to the forest, the mage continued to study the Wall, and the crystals within it. The mage collected samples of the crystals to study, and began a catalogue of them. The mage came across one crystal that was not for eating, heating, cooling, or construction.

The crystal was white and quartzite.

“We do not know what this crystal is for,” said those of gem, “but the mage, our friend, may take it and study it.”

So the mage did. The mage then returned to the forest, taking the crystal with him.

Twilight’s horn glowed as she opened a saddlebag tucked beneath her desk. The algem, wrapped in her aura, levitated up to her eyes as Quartz’s words echoed in her ears.

”Starswirl gave these to us, as a thanks to what we did for him.” But what did the Crystal Ponies do for Starswirl? Unless Quartz meant just being a friend…

Or, unless Starswirl… “knew” another stallion. Is that why the Regent stayed?

After stashing the algem away, Twilight breezed through a few more pages. Every tick of the clock reminded her of the gravity on her eyelids and the ache in her bones, but she paid neither any mind.

Soon, she had another page written:

There, in the castle of the day and night, the mage arrived with the five. The five told of the new land to the day and night.

“Where is your sixth?” the day and night asked, once the five had told their stories.

“He has remained to stay,” said the Platinum. “He has chosen the north over us.”

The day and night were intrigued by this revelation, but said nothing of it. “What have you decided about this new land?” they asked instead.

“Their land is beautiful and rich,” said the Platinum.

“Their power is strange,” said the Clover.

“But they do not know our ways,” said the Meadowbrook.

“How do they not know your ways?” the day and night asked.

“They know nothing of tradition, of order,” said the Platinum, “and they shall not assimilate amongst us. We must leave them be.”

But the day and night were not so easily convinced.

So, the six—er, five—unicorns who had raised the sun and moon before Celestia and Luna came to Equestria did not want the Crystal Empire to be a part of the nation. Twilight wiped sweat from her brow. But it was, and it is, so whatever Celestia and Luna did…

… One more page…

The quill scribbled furiously across a fresh scroll. Both Starswirl’s tome and the translation guide hovered in the air before Twilight, her eyes darting between each with practiced ease. A few minutes later, and she had produced yet another page in New Equestrian.

”Bring forth the Commander and the Chancellor,” said the day and night to the five, “and we shall discuss this as ponies.”

The five were displeased, but obeyed. The five left the castle in the forest, and set off for the cities in the clouds and on the plains.

Meanwhile, the mage unraveled the leyline within the white quartzite, and found its power. Neither those of hoof, nor those of wing, nor those of horn could tap into the leyline of the strange crystal, but when the mage returned to the frozen north, it was found that those of gem could.

The mage called them algem, and gave them as thanks to those of gem for their kindness and knowledge, in the hopes that the five would see those of gem as the truth.

”In the hopes that the five would see those of gem as the truth?”

But that means that Starswirl was trying to… do away with the order. And when Celestia and Luna said, “Your ways,” that implies…

But that makes no sense! Because why, then, after a thousand years—?

Bringing her forehooves to her head, Twilight massaged her temples for a moment, then took a deep, long breath.

I’m so close… I’m so close… Just… A… Few… More…

Twilight dipped her quill in an inkpot, and brought the books before her once more.

~

Flash Sentry didn’t miss that last sliver of honeycake. Instead full on adrenaline—a product of his foolhardy courage and more than a little fear—he returned to his room that night and stayed there until morning. Sleep did not come easy, but when it did, he dreamed his technicolor dreams again, and smiled.

When he woke, Greyhoof was there this time, no bags under his eyes but lingering fatigue still prominent. The two exchanged pleasantries and went through their morning routine, Flash allowing Greyhoof to assist him, while the former debated on what exactly to tell his friend.

I still haven’t gotten into anything that happened in the Crystal Empire… But I really can’t. With an inward sigh, he watched as Greyhoof tightened the buckles on his shoulder-guards. It feels wrong, not being able to be open about everything. But… That is what Shining wants. What Twilight wants. What… has to be.

And as for Orion? As good as that felt… as good as it was, for both of us, I think… If Ironhoof—

“Something on your mind, Flash?”

“Hmm?” Flash met his gaze. “Oh, um.” He coughed. “Honestly? Yeah. Not too much I can really tell you about though.” His ears drooped. “Sorry.”

Greyhoof dismissed him with a forehoof. “Not a problem at all, sire. I understand. Quite a lot is happening in the Empire, isn’t it?”

Flash bit his lip. You don’t know the half of it, Greyhoof.

Greyhoof chuckled. “As I thought. The play created so much hubbub around here. I can’t imagine what else is going on.” He patted the insignia on his golden armor and smiled warmly. “I’m just thankful you were able to share a small piece of that with me.”

“Of course,” Flash said, returning the grin. “If you need or want anything else—”

“Hah, an old soul like me has very few wants, Flash. Though…” Greyhoof tapped his chin and hummed. “I noticed you haven’t said anything about working with Prince Blueblood.”

“Oh, him?” Flash snorted. “Just seems like an overgrown foal to me, to be honest. All he did was get pampered, see two guests, and lay around all day.”

Greyhoof clicked his tongue. “As expected. Still, not the worst I’ve heard. Let’s hope it stays that way.”

Flash shook out some of the last morning stretches. “Yeah, let’s hope.”

“Indeed. And who relieved you for the evening?” Greyhoof asked.

Flash paused, blinking. “What do you mean?”

“The other Royal Guard?”

Grabbing his spear, Flash cocked an eye at Greyhoof. After a moment, he said, “There was no other Royal Guard.”

“How very strange.” Greyhoof raised an eyebrow. “I wonder if it has always been that way? Or if the Princesses or the Captain know about it?”

All the other royals have constant guards assigned to those posts. Princess Cadence and Captain Shining Armor’s guest room has a guard even when nopony’s there. Flash shrugged. “I’m not sure. I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to ask the Prince about it.”

Straightening out Flash’s saddle blanket, Greyhoof muttered, “Just don’t set him off if you can, dear boy. Prince Blueblood has a reputation to maintain, you know.”

They shared a chuckle.

Greyhoof stepped away and admired his work one more time. “There. The Prince shouldn’t have anything to nitpick now… or anypony else, for that matter.” A rare smug grin crept across his muzzle, and Flash laughed.

“Thanks, Greyhoof.” He started for the door. “I’d better get going to breakfast now.”

Greyhoof waved him off as he began making Flash’s bed. “Indeed, have a great day, Flash!”

“You too!”

Closing the door behind him, Flash stepped out into the hallway, folded his wings, and took a breath.

Second day… Can’t be much worse than the first, right? And at least tonight, I’ll have something to look forward to.

This morning, Sharp Spear and Steel Wind weren’t waiting in the hallway to accompany him to breakfast. For the first time in a long time, Flash wished they were, and headed down to eat in anticipation of sharing with them.

~

Birdsong followed the trumpets’ announcement of the new dawn. Rather than waking as a soldier, Twilight Sparkle rose as a Princess, the call of robins and sparrows in the trees beyond her window rousing her from sleep.

Eyes crusted and weary, mane a tangle of rats and frizz, feathers in itchy disarray, Twilight yawned and greeted the world. She found herself still at her desk, using Starswirl’s book as a pillow. The last thing she remembered was dipping a quill in ink. That same quill lay next to the inkpot, which, thankfully, wasn’t overturned.

Checking the time, Twilight yawned and smacked her lips. Seven hours. Not a full night’s sleep, but close enough. She moved from her seat to her hooves, groaning as her back and haunches protested. Yeah, yeah, don’t fall asleep at a desk… You would think I learned that lesson years ago, but no…

Twilight warmed a tepid kettle of tea and poured herself a hot cup, mixing it with several heaping tablespoons of sugar. Dentists everywhere would shriek in disapproval, but she didn’t care; the mystery unraveling before her required energy to solve, and she didn’t trust herself to leave her room yet.

Whatever this book tells me, Twilight thought, taking a seat in front of her window as she sipped her tea, I need to be careful. Everything I’ve learned so far has been new. Nothing my history classes, or a textbook, or Celestia herself has told me. There has to be a reason for that.

… I hope it’s a good reason.

Twilight allowed herself a few moments of serenity. Warm tea soothed her throat as she watched the birds flit about in the trees and listened to their song. Only sparrows. No robin yet. Twilight looked down at the Canterlot Gardens and the hedge maze within it. Nowhere close to blooming. Seven weeks until the Gala.

Seven weeks until Cadence wants me to choose.

Her tea tasted bitter on her lips. She added more sugar. It didn’t help.

Once her cup was drained, Twilight dragged her aching bones back to her desk, and began to write.

~

“So, the Prince just… lazed around all day?” Steel Wind asked.

“That’s right.” Flash shoveled another spoonful of his favorite oats into his mouth. “Boring as Tartarus, but nothing terrible yet.”

“I wouldn’t tempt Fate if I were you, Flash,” Sharp Spear replied, drizzling a mountain of maple syrup over his eggs. “Especially since the trial is tomorrow, and the Prince—and you—will have to be there.”

Flash shrugged. “I was present for the hearing, and the Prince merely acted as a listener.” Besides, after yesterday, I have a feeling Orion will be conducting himself… differently, this time.

His two companions shared a glance before making shrugs of their own. The three ate on in silence, noshing oats and eggs and toast, for a few minutes, until all three plates are clean.

“So,” Flash said, wiping at his muzzle with a napkin, “are we still going out tonight?”

The two exchanged another glance. “I-if you still want to, Flash,” Steel Wind replied. “We were thinking—what was it, Spear? Seven?”

“Yeah, seven.”

“Right, seven!” Steel Wind nodded, grinning with a full mouth of pearly whites. “That sound good? Or too early? Or maybe too late? Or—”

“Steel, Steel!” Flash laughed and held up a forehoof. “That sounds perfect. Really.” Giving his wings one last stretch, he stood up from the table. “I’ll meet you two in the courtyard at seven ready to fly. Sound good to you?”

The two answered in stereo, “Yeah! See you then!”

Laughing still, Flash waved them goodbye and started off towards the stairs, spear in forehoof.

A night out with friends… Thermals, round two. Maybe I’ll see the Wonderbolts again. And hey, maybe it’ll at least make this boring day worth it.

… Maybe, just maybe, Twilight will be up when I get back. Maybe I’ll get to see her.

There was a bounce to his step, one that couldn’t be suppressed, even as he marched towards Prince Blueblood.


~

Before the mage left from the frozen north after giving those of gem his gift, the mage came upon the Regent.

The Regent lived in the library founded by those of gem. The texts there were vast, and the mage had spent precious little time studying them; the mage was far more interested in the Wall. But the Regent loved books, and so put up stakes in the library.

The mage found the Regent, and found that the Regent was happy. The Regent lived there with a mare of gem, and came to knew her.

The mage knew this, and called it good, but only in secret.

Only halfway down the translated page, Twilight re-read those paragraphs twice, thrice, a fourth time. Each time, the words made even less sense.

The Regent… Lived in the library… With a mare…

It is Sombra. It has to be! But a mare? It was all over a mare? A unicorn and a Crystal Pony? Is that why? Is that why things stayed the same as they are? Because if Sombra did what he did over a mare, well…

Then that’s a damn good reason for everything.

But what of a pegasus and an alicorn? another part of her countered. What great tragedy has come of that?

Ignoring the burning in her cheeks, Twilight pushed herself aside, and continued to read. The words only grew stranger.

The mage returned to the forest in time to see the Commander, the Chancellor, and the five converse with the day and night. With the Commander and Chancellor were the Private and the Smart—

A meeting with Commander Hurricane, Private Pansy, Chancellor Puddinghead, Smart Cookie, and the five unicorns out of the six who raised the sun and moon…

—who gathered in the castle of the day and night.

The serpent had no place at the table, but he watched, along with the mage, who again acted as scribe.

“It is time to consider change,” said the day and night. “We have raised your sun and moon. We have driven the beasts from the forest. We have secured the seas, and made peace with the nations to the east and west. We have united you under our flag, under our skies and stars. It is time for change.”

“What change?” said the Platinum, leader of the six and those of horn. “Our magic is strong and great, passed from our greatest minds to our foals. What is there to change?”

“What change?” said the Commander, leader of those of wing. “Our mastery of the weather is preserved and maintained, our warrior ways ingrained in our colts and stallions. What is there to change?”

“What change?” said the Chancellor, leader of those of hoof. “Our connection to the Earth is solid and true, our fields and crafts full and beautiful, taught to our foals. What is there to change?”

“Those of gem are gifted in their own ways,” said the day and night, “and we wish to bring them into our new nation. We wish to learn from them.”

“Their ways are weak!” said the Platinum. “Without magic, they shall only need our protection!”

“Their ways are perverse!” said the Commander. “Why should our warriors protect stallions who come to know stallions, and mares who come to know mares?”

“Their ways are useless!” said the Chancellor. “Shall we become like them, and eat crystals, too? Who will tend to our fields, or make our wares, or raise our foals?”

The three and the five began to argue, until the day and night commanded them to silence. Then, the day and night said:

“We shall prove that those of gem belong with us, and bring changes to the order that shall benefit all.”

The three and five were not pleased, and began to argue again. The day and night raised their voices, and the others bowed, and then they said:

“For those of horn, we shall create a special office, so your descendants shall always have a say in our affairs,” they said to the Platinum, who agreed.

“For those of wing, we shall add to our guard, so that both those of horn and those of wing must serve to protect, rather than only you,” they said to the Commander, who agreed.

“For those of hoof, we shall give you the majority of the land, so that you may grow your food, raise your foals, and tend to your ways in peace,” they said to the Chancellor, who agreed.

The day and night continued, “We shall maintain the order, until it is shown, by the ways of those of gem, that is the old way. For now, horn shall be with horn, wing with wing, and hoof with hoof. Same with same, and stallion with mare.”

The three and five pondered this, before the Clever said, “And how shall it be shown by those of gem, that this way is the old way?”

The day and night pondered this themselves before answering. “The Regent in the frozen north. The mage tells that he is with one of gem. We shall judge by that.”

“And what of the serpent?” said the Smart.

The serpent, though he was hidden, felt fear in his heart at this.

“The serpent belongs with us, and we shall show you there is no reason to fear him,” said the day, who knew him.

The five and three began to object, but the day spoke with the blazes of the sun, and they agreed.

And so went the meeting of three and five, the day and night, before the Fall.

~

“Good morning, my Prince,” Flash Sentry said with a bow.

The Prince, bags beneath his eyes, naked except for his slippers, merely harrumphed.

Flash held back a sigh. Well, that’s my cue, then. He took his post at the doors inside Blueblood’s royal chamber, while the Prince laid on his couch and munched on macadamia nuts—another delicacy that made Flash’s mouth water in silence.

Like the previous day, Flash let himself be lost in thought, paying enough attention to get the door when needed but otherwise swimming through his mind. Instead of the aurora, he thought of Thermals.

The last time I was there… I was… different. Now, after the Empire, after the play, after Shining… and… with Twilight…

Those thoughts resumed again, but he was able to tame his wings before continuing.

After all of this… And now, Orion—his trial tomorrow—everything seems… different. I feel… different. Like I can go and have fun. Like I can look at Steel and Spear and see stallions who used to be my friends, who want to be my friends, and I don’t feel the ocean between us. Not as much.

Because I have the Order. The real one, in the north. And I’m ready to go back there, when the time comes. But for now…

Flash smiled. Not at the door, not at his spear, not at Blueblood, but he smiled. Why not have some fun?

~

Starswirl’s book, the translation guide, and a stack of parchment and scrolls littered the floor. A quill lay broken next to an overturned inkpot.

In the middle of the room, Twilight paced, paced, paced.

Her heart thundered with every step, erratic in its arrhythmia. Knew him. Heat flooded her senses, making her see, hear, smell, taste, and feel nothing but red. Knew him. Her wings were spread to full height, mighty as a Griffon’s, in a display of dominance and power to all who beheld it.

Knew him. Knew him.

But none beheld it, for Twilight was locked in her room, and she had no intention of coming out.

Not for a while.

Knew him. Knew him. KNEW HIM.

She snorted hotly, steam rising from her nostrils like a Minotaur’s. The books scattered on the floor were her red flag. She knew nothing but the quaking of her limbs, adrenaline unbidden, with each stomping step.

She knew him! She knew him! She KNEW him! Him! Him! HIM!

How could she? How could she do that, and keep things this way? I know it’s not a lie! It can’t be! Because either Starswirl’s lying, or she is—

A thought pierced through Twilight’s haze of anger. The library. Hidden. Hidden for a thousand years. In a section unrelated. On a shelf. Not shelved right. In another language. It hit me. Hit me on the nose.

The book. The book can’t be lies. It can’t! It has the Quintessence! It speaks of things from its time! It’s written in the language of its era! It’s… it’s code! Why would it be code if it were innocuous? Why would it be so hidden if it were nothing?

If it’s not nothing, it’s something! And it’s! Not! NOTHING!

Twilight’s hair stood on end. For a moment, she saw fire, and thought it was Pinkie Sense all over again, thought she was aflame, and she wouldn’t have been surprised, and she wouldn’t have put it out, because everything was a lie, and everything was wrong, and either Starswirl was a liar and this was a fairy tale, or Celestia and Luna and her teachers and her parents were liars, and the order of things was meant to be disposed of a thousand years ago, and it wasn’t, and the divisions between ponies were meant to have been disbanded with Old Equestrian, and they weren’t, and there were all these laws and customs and boundaries and idiosyncrasies that she had learned from birth and swallowed whole every day after along with her mother’s milk and then all of those things were wrong, and if all of those things were wrong, then what was right? What was right? WHAT WAS RIGHT?

Twilight kicked her teacup. It shattered as it hit the wall. She sparked her horn, grabbed Starswirl’s book, and began to read again.

I have to know. I have to know. I have to know.

She had no need for notes. The letters were hers now.

~

The same three servant mares arrived around the same time as yesterday, bringing Prince Blueblood tidings of good taste, good grooming, and goodwill. Their giggles filled Flash’s ears, but he paid them no mind. Nor did he listen in as the hedonistic Prince admonished them for another piece of chocolate, or another curl of his mane, or a little lower on the massage, yes please, right there.

No, in Flash’s mind, he thought of Thermals, and tonight, and Twilight. His earlier passing thought of meeting her again returned full force, and he allowed himself to explore it.

Greyhoof’s right. I don’t know why Prince Blueblood only has me posted at his chambers, but it stays this way—and if I want it to, I shouldn’t mention it!—then that gives me about four hours each night before last light to see her… Five if I skip dinner and flight practice, and six if I’m willing to wake up a bit tired.

But Shining gave you an order, his rational mind argued. And if you are seen sneaking around with Princess Twilight, well, that’s not obeying the order, is it?

No, I suppose not, he admitted, but… she said she would come to me to talk, and that’s okay, right? So why can’t I just try to catch up to her, see if she wants to talk?

You and I both know the answer to that.

I suppose you’re right.

With an inward sigh, Flash stepped aside as the servants left, waving goodbye to Blueblood the entire way. He closed the doors and resumed his post. I guess I can’t. I hope she comes and finds me soon. So we can talk about her research. Or astronomy.

Or anything, really. Heh, heh—

A loud rapping at the chamber doors made Flash jump in his skin. He quickly looked over his shoulder, relieved to see that Blueblood was facing away from him. Close one! Can’t be jumping around like this!

“Get the door,” Blueblood said in monotone, curling towards the couch.

Strange. “Yes, Your Highness.” Flash opened the door, then bowed at the visitor.

“Good afternoon, Sir Flash Sentry.” Princess Celestia gave him a trademark motherly smile.

Flash returned the smile with some effort. Celestia and Blueblood? Okay, this I have to listen to, even if I shouldn’t. “Good afternoon, Your Highness.” He turned around and began to announce, “Your Highness, Princess—”

“Yes, yes, I know.” Sighing heavily, Blueblood flipped over on the couch, laying on his side as he looked up at the alicorn. “Hello, Auntie.”

“Blueblood.” After a stiff nod, Princess Celestia moved to join him on the couch. The springs groaned audibly as she took her seat.

Once Flash closed the doors, he took his position.

Watching from his peripherals.

“Auntie.” Blueblood’s acknowledgment was as curt as hers. “What can I do for you this fine Tuesday morning?”

“I’ve come to discuss Orion’s trial.”

Blueblood brought a forehoof to his eyes and groaned. “Eugh, must we discuss that buffoon? What is there to say?” He scowled. “He’s clearly guilty. Why he’s fighting this is a mystery. All he’s going to do is throw a temper tantrum, call you a bitch—”

Flash brought a forehoof to his lips, stifling a noise between a gasp and a laugh.

“—And get hauled off to rot in his cell and turn into the miserable sack of flesh he is.” Blueblood plucked a scented toothpick from a jar on the coffee table and shoved it between his teeth. “What more is there to say?”

The silence that followed was all but quiet. Princess Celestia’s anger practically roared on its own.

“Blueblood,” Celestia said after a time, “first of all, I will overlook your profanity, this time. It is quite unbecoming of a Prince.”

Blueblood crossed his forehooves over his chest and rolled his eyes.

“Second,” Celestia continued, “Orion has had a change of heart on the matter of his hunger strike. At least, it seems so.”

Blueblood raised an eyebrow. “Really?”

Celestia nodded. “Really. I’ve also received word from the warden that he has decided to waive his right to a jury trial.”

Blueblood spat out his toothpick. “What?!”

“Blueblood—”

Blueblood sat up on the couch. “After he spent three weeks dismissing each and every unicorn who was called to jury duty until his emaciated little brain just gave up? Now he wants just the judges?”

A beat. Then, Celestia sighed. “It is his right.”

Blueblood facehoofed. “Idiot…”

“There is one more thing about his trial.”

Blueblood drug both forehooves over his cheeks. “Ugh, what?”

“Twilight has suggested an alternative punishment for him. Instead of seven years of imprisonment, she has proposed five years in the Crystal Empire’s mines to make restitution for his actions towards her and the Royal Guard.”

To Flash’s surprise, Princess Celestia sounded rather calm as she said these words. Yet, when she mentioned Orion’s attack towards Twilight, her voice took on a bit of an edge.

Rubbing his face, Blueblood took a moment to respond. “Five years, working in the mines… for that?”

Flash nearly jumped again.

A pause. “What do you mean, for that?” Her last word came out as a hiss.

“Pffft! What do you think I mean?” Eyebrows furrowed, Blueblood snatched his toothpick and jammed it back between his teeth. “You and I both know, Auntie, that if Orion had attacked me, or even Auntie Luna, you would have just given him a slap on the hoof!”

Clinging to his spear, Flash flicked both of his ears. Did he really just say what I think he said?

Blueblood.” A beat.. “You know that is not true. I am just enforcing—”

“Enforcing the law? Oh, you mean the law that puts everypony on parade, with those you like at the front and those of us who just happen to be in it by birth at the rear?”

Yes, he really did. Flash longed to look over his shoulder, to watch the show unfold for himself, but he only had the corners of his treacherous eyes. I’m not listening… I’m not… I’m not…

Blueblood.” Another pause. Longer. Then, a long, heavy, hot exhalation. “I am not having this conversation with you. I came here to get your consent for this change in the trial, as I did with Twilight, and Luna, and now—”

Blueblood pointed at the portrait of Princess Platinum on the wall. “It’s her you cared about. Who you always cared about, isn’t it? That’s why I’m here! Because I’m her descendant! Not because I saved a village, or finished a spell, or can raise the fucking—”

Blueblood!”

“—The fucking sun and moon, and for what? To be a figurehead? To get hors d'oeuvres and massages and an appearance at the Gala?!” Blueblood spat the toothpick on the floor and crushed it with his forehoof. “Don’t even pretend I have any power, Celestia, because I don’t! I can’t even help my friends when they don’t want to pay out the ass to sell their wares, or do anything besides saying I’ll pass it to you!

“You want to know why I don’t take meals with you? Why I don’t play pretend at your little Court sessions? Why I don’t give one—flying—”

Blueblood glared over at Flash, who quickly diverted his full gaze to the door.

“—Flyingfuck about this nonsense?! Because it doesn’t matter! It doesn’t matter, and I’m—I’ve—I’m—”

Flash’s ears pricked as the Prince’s voice trailed off, dissolving into nothing.

Princess Celestia said nothing, replying in her own way.

The temperature in the room spiked. Heat radiated from the center towards the door in waves. Flash felt sweat bead on his forehead. His wings rustled in discomfort. If there had been a thermometer in here, he was certain the mercury would have burst, pooling on the floor along with Blueblood’s pride.

Without a word, Celestia rose to her hooves and stomped towards the door. Flash bowed low, low as he could go, avoiding her eyes. The doors slammed open in a burst of golden magic.

“Eight o'clock tomorrow morning. If you’re late, I’ll have Luna drag you out herself, no matter what you’re wearing.”

The doors slammed shut.

The heat passed, but the silence did not.

Slowly, Flash rose out of his bow, and looked towards the Prince.

Blueblood buried his face in his forehooves.

Flash looked away.

A minute passed, and then another, and another, the clock speaking for them.

Until, finally, Blueblood spoke.

“Breathe a word of this, and I’ll have you thrown out in the streets.”

“Yes, Your Highness,” Flash said. He didn’t bow.

Blueblood didn’t care.

There were hoofsteps, a forehoof grabbing a doorknob, and another slam.

Then nothing.

And then, Flash realized something.

I’ve never seen him use magic.

~

The mage continued to study the Tree, and the Elements within it, before the Fall.

The mage continued to journey to the frozen north, and meet with those of gem, before the Fall.

The day and night journeyed to the frozen north, and met with those of gem, and the Regent and his mare of gem, before the Fall.

And, for a time, everything was good. The day and night were pleased, as the time for order drew to a close, and the time for freedom drew near.

The mage was there with the day and night on the day of the Fall.

The serpent Fell, and the land was enshrouded in darkness and chaos.

Those of hoof saw their crops fail. Those of wing were knocked from the sky. Those of horn found their magic useless.

Those of gem trembled before the Wall, and it protected them from the serpent’s Fall.

But not the others.

The day and night came to the mage when the serpent Fell, saying, “What shall we do? We cannot control him any longer.”

The mage went to the serpent, but the serpent would not listen, for his heart was hardened by darkness.

The mage came back to the day and night, and said, “The Elements shall heal him.”

So the mage led the day and night back to the Tree, and the day and night took the Elements.

The serpent laughed before the Elements, but he Fell again, this time, in stone.

The day and night wept.

But the world was not done Falling.

The five and the three came to the day and night, saying, “There is trouble in the frozen north. The Regent has taken those of gem and made them his slaves.”

The day and night came to the mage, who said, “The Elements shall heal him.”

The day and night took the Elements to the frozen north, and did battle with the Regent, who had become possessed by a heart of darkness. The Wall did not save those of gem then.

The Regent laughed before the Elements, but he, too, Fell.

This time, the Regent sealed away those of gem and their land, cursing it to the tundra. What remained was naught but ice and snow.

The day and night wept.

The five and three came to the day and night again, saying, “See what you have wrought? The serpent Fell, and the Regent Fell, and those of gem are gone, and many have died. See now why there is the order?”

But the day and night were not so easily convinced. “Give us time,” they said as they wept. “Give us time, and we shall show you, that the world is ready.”

But the world was not done Falling.

Soon, the night grew from the day, grew jealous and distant and cold. The mage saw this, and was afraid. The mage was a friend of the night, and tried to reason with her.

But the night Fell.

The night Fell, and the day came to the mage, who said, “The Elements shall heal her.”

The day took the Elements to the castle in the forest, and did battle with the night, who overcame her.

The night laughed at the Elements, but she, too, Fell, becoming a part of the moon, and the symbol of nightmares.

Thus, the day was alone, with the mage, in the destroyed castle in the now-haunted forest.

“The Elements did not heal her, or him,” the day said to the mage, weeping. “Why did they not?”

The mage had no answer, and could only say, “Perhaps we are not of Harmony.”

But before the day could try once more, the five and the three came to the day. “See what you have wrought? The night is gone, and those of gem and their land are gone, and the serpent is gone, and it is because of you. See now why there is the order?”

This time, the day did not resist.

“Only the strongest of us can be equal to you,” said the five, while the others nodded. “You shall not come to know us, except one who can control you.”

Though the day wept, and the mage argued, she agreed.

And it was from that day that the day fled to the mountains.

But the mage would not be deceived…

Twilight could barely breathe. The words circled around her, spinning in a sheen of violet, reciting themselves over and over again.

There was one more page. One more.

One more.

But the mage would not be deceived.

For, before they were lost with the Fallen Regent, the gem told the mage of a Crystal Star. “A Crystal Star shall shine on the horizon, born of chaos, and the world will know love and truth,” they said.

And as those of gem spoke these words, the Wall shone brighter behind them, and their algems glowed.

Below these final words was a symbol in black ink:

Twilight Sparkle looked to her flank, and the north, and the spot in the Canterlot Gardens where there once had been a draconequus statue.

There was a flash of light, a sudden easing of her burdens, and her horn fizzled.

And everything went black.

Author's Note:

My editor is just as eager as you guys to see the next few chapters, so they will be coming very soon, barring any IRL craziness.

Next chapter titles: Voir Dire — Part II and Voir Dire — Part III