• Published 29th Dec 2013
  • 10,369 Views, 1,610 Comments

What Hath Joined Together - Bad_Seed_72



Sequel to "The Order". Despite receiving a harsh reprimand from Captain Ironhoof, Flash Sentry still struggles with his feelings for Twilight. When he is assigned to escort her to the Crystal Empire, tensions on all sides escalate.

  • ...
99
 1,610
 10,369

Into The Frozen North

Into The Frozen North

Flash Sentry hadn’t encountered a truly terrifying foe since Queen Chrysalis and her swarm invaded Canterlot. Compared to those shape-shifting monsters, stallions like Orion were a breeze. While they, like the disgraced noble, may be malevolent, at least their methods and madness could be anticipated, analyzed, and countered.

If given a choice between battling a few Changelings or remaining locked in this cab with Princess Twilight Sparkle, Flash wasn’t quite sure which one he would ultimately choose. At least he could trust himself with Changelings. The mare who tip-hoofed her way through his dreams was a different story.

Once the train began to move, Twilight stretched her forehooves across the table and said with a chuckle, “Heh, sorry about that earlier, by the way.”

Sorry? “B-beg pardon, Twilight?”

“Oh, well… Princess Celestia offered me a chariot, but I wanted to get in a little extra flying practice,” Twilight explained with a sheepish grin and another little laugh. “Guess I just forgot that I would have some ponies wanting to see me before I made it to the Crystal Empire.”

“Oh. Uhh…” Flash took to studying the intricate patterns of the train’s wallpaper for a few seconds, cursing his hesitance. C’mon! You’re going to have to get through this somehow! “Th—that’s fine, Twilight.”

Already, he wanted to stomp himself again.

You have a job to do, he reminded himself, forcing himself to glance around the cab again. His gaze locked onto the window beside the beds. Stop acting like a pansy and do that job. Observe.

Flash squinted and studied their outside surroundings carefully. Nothing was to be seen but a pristine sky and wildflowers blowing in the breeze—not one hovering pegasus, nor any unicorn or Earth pony hooves dangling off the roof of the train. The landscape passed by as the train pressed on with nary a bump in the rails.

This is ridiculous! There’s nothing there. It’s an empty train, nopony following. And of all the Princesses who would be in danger of an usurper, she’s not—

“What are you doing?”

Flash turned around. “Er, um—”

Trying not to look at you?

“Is there something out there?”

My sanity.

The cab seemed to be suffocating him. Flash leaned against his weapon and fidgeted in his seat. “Well, er, you see—”

Before he could get another half-word in edgewise, Twilight glanced out the window. “Hmm. I don’t see anything.”

“Oh, well,” Flash managed at last, “I suppose it was nothing, Pri—”

“Twilight.”

“Right,” he mumbled, rubbing his neck. “Twilight. Sorry.”

Her laugh, merry and light, filled his ears again. As he looked away, Flash considered the ultimate consequences of jumping out the window. Or, perhaps, laying on his spear. Twelve hours? Where’s a Changeling horde when you need it?

Twilight smiled and drummed a forehoof on the table. “Don’t worry. I’m sure everything will be fine. I’m not exactly worried about anypony following us. And we have the whole train to ourselves, so it should be safe, right?”

“Yes, ma’am.” He nodded and crossed his forehooves over the table, sitting up straighter than any attentive schoolcolt.

Twilight snort-laughed, drawing a tinge of crimson to his cheeks. She shook her head and gave him a gentle smile. “Sorry. I didn’t mean anything by that. It’s just… ‘ma’am’ sounds like something I’ll be called when I’m old and grey.”

Go and insult her now, why don’t you? That’s going to work wonders. The urge to face-hoof became nigh irresistible.

Flash shook his head in return before mustering a smile of his own. “Sorry. I didn’t mean that way either. Just… force of habit.”

“It’s alright. Though, we’re going to be together for a while, so let’s try and get to know each other, okay? No formalities needed. Just pony-to-pony. If that’s alright with you...”

Together? Why did you have to say that?

Swallowing hard, Flash nodded again. “S-sure.”

Twilight opened her saddlebag with her magic.“That’s great to hear! After all, I really do like getting to know new ponies, no matter who they are or where they’re from.”

Flash blinked. “Really?”

“Of course!” While she located a thick, tightly rolled scroll and a quill from her bag, she added, “I didn’t use to be that way. I used to be pretty quiet, actually. But, thanks to my friends, I learned that it is important to get to know and befriend ponies of all statures and backgrounds.”

The grin on his muzzle grew so rapidly that it hurt. Although he was certain that Celestia had brought her sun a little too close to Equestria today, Flash welcomed the warmth flooding his fur. “I-I agree, Twilight.”

Twilight closed her bag and laid the quill down on the table. “I’m glad you think so, Flash.” Still holding the scroll high in her aura, she continued, “Now, since this is going to be a long ride, I’ve prepared a quick list of a few conversational topics that might interest you…”

The scroll began to unfurl into a long, thick sheet of parchment, all covered in tiny but precise scribblings. When the scroll rolled across the table, down onto the floor, and underneath the bunk beds without stopping, Flash felt his jaw unhinge.

Twilight levitated the scroll higher in her magic, blushing slightly and flattening her ears. “Eh, heh, heh… Twelve hours is a long time, you know…”

Yes… a very long, long time… just like—

The scroll finally came to rest, the end of it curling up between the beds and the opposite wall of the cab. The very top of the list hovered near the ceiling, all of it held captive in Twilight’s aura.

That’s a quick list?! With a few topics?! Flash Sentry wretched his jaw shut and brought a forehoof to his mouth, trying not to laugh. I wonder what she considers to be a long list! There probably isn’t enough parchment in all of Equestria!

After clearing her throat, Twilight levitated the mess of parchment down to her eye level. “Okay! The first topic I have listed is the weather.”

Twilight allowed the list to rest, sending several unfortunate trees’ worth of parchment crinkling down to the floor. “What do you think about the weather today, Flash?”

She may have well as asked him the quadratic formula.

Flash’s mind went blank, all blood rushing to his cheeks and wings. Here they were, a Royal Guard and Princess, two ponies who had barely interacted beyond formality and duty. And here she was, looking at him again with those eyes, those eyes, asking him a small-talk question and using their first names.

He looked around the cab in a frantic millisecond, searching for any sign of gossamer wings or chattering fangs.

In the few seconds it took him to breathe, he affirmed his decision of only a few minutes beforehoof.

If I’m going to get through this—if we are—I can’t keep freezing up. I can’t keep looking at her this way. Just answer the damn questions! Straighten up! Do your job!

Be a stallion!

“I… I think it’s very nice today, Twilight,” he said at last.

Immediately, she replied, “Me too! I mean, sure, the Grand Galloping Gala is coming up, which means it’s springtime, but, really, the weather-pegasi have been doing great lately!”

“Yes. They… have.”

“It’s probably going to be a bit different once we arrive at the Crystal Empire, but I’m sure it’ll be fine. Snow is beautiful, especially the snow up north. And, speaking of weather, that reminds me!” Twilight clapped her hooves together, continuing with palpable enthusiasm, “One of my friends is a weather pegasus: the Element of Loyalty, Rainbow Dash. The best flier I’ve ever known! Do you know her?”

Rainbow Dash? I mean, I know she’s an Element, but I feel like I’ve heard more about her than that. “Well… No, not really.”

“Oh?” Twilight raised an eyebrow.

Fearing he may have offended already, Flash quickly raised a forehoof. “I know of her,” he corrected, “but I do not know her. I was raised in Canterlot, not Cloudsdale.”

“... O-oh.” Twilight coughed and began to reach for her list. “Heh… sorry. I forgot that not all peg—”

“No, I’m sorry,” Flash cut in, staring at his forehooves. “That was rather rude of me.”

Well, that train window is looking pretty cozy right about now. I wonder if I can get by with only a few scr—

Instead of the firm rebuke he was expecting, Flash looked up to see her burst into laughter. His eyes widened as he stared at her.

“Rude? Rude?” Twilight wiped at one of her eyes, grinning. The scroll shook in her magic alongside her continued chuckles. “If that’s what you call rude, I wonder what you would think of—”

Biting her lip, Twilight let her words fade away. A guilty grin spread across her muzzle. “Heh, eh, never mind.”

Flash cleared his throat and crossed his forehooves across the table. “Er… That’s alright.”

In the silence, both of them coughed.

“Um…” With a sigh, Twilight rolled up the seemingly infinite parchment and stashed it back in her bag. “Let’s forget about the list.”

“Uh, sure.”

Soon enough, the list would’ve surely burst into flames if it was left to hang in this arid heat, Flash reasoned. He glanced at the clock hanging on the wall. Ten minutes down. Seven hundred and ten to go. At least I can still do math. For now.

“Sorry. This is awkward, isn’t it?” Twilight asked. Her next laugh was a little less merry and light, though it still threatened to bring that same scarlet to his cheeks.

The silence came again, thick and pulsating.

“N-not at all,” Flash said, plastering a grin across his muzzle.

Twilight painted a matching smile across her own countenance, darting her eyes all around the room.

Feeling the situation slipping further and further away from him, time seeming to slow to molasses as the ticking of the clock becoming a taunting metronome, Flash Sentry made another decision. Just say something, anything! Be normal! C’mon!

The next words out of his muzzle were, “Uh, so… Have you been to the Crystal Empire before?”

Immediately, his eyes widened in horror, meeting her own widened pair. His helmet, along with the rest of his armor, seemed to triple in weight. Okay, that was something, but I meant something not completely—

“I-I mean! How long has it been since your last v-visit?”

“Oh! Well,” Twilight began with a smile, “it’s been a few months, actually! The last time I was there was when my friends and I were meeting with Miss Harshwinny, the director of the Equestrian Games.”

Emboldened by his first true success, Flash sat up a little straighter. “Oh, that must have been interesting.”

“It was! There were a few mishaps—” there was that endearing, sheepish little smile again—”but we all eventually got it worked out, and convinced her that the Crystal Empire would be the best place for the games this year!”

“That’s great!”

Twilight nodded, smiling.

Though he was still locked in what seemed to be a perpetual battle with the feathery traitors on his back, Flash Sentry felt himself finally beginning to relax. He loosened his grip on his spear and let it rest against his seat while he took another leap of fledgling faith. “So… By your friends, you mean all of the other Elements of Harmony, right?”

At the time of his training, the Elements of Harmony were mere myth and legend, footnotes in the history books. Flash knew of the Elements from the story of the Mare in the Moon, but never would have imagined them to have truly existed, much less to have been embodied by modern mares.

A little over three years ago, after Nightmare Moon was defeated and Princess Luna returned, he, along with the rest of the Guard, had been debriefed on the Elements. All were to be treated with respect and dignity, no exceptions. It was the same order that had been bestowed upon them during his basic training regarding Twilight—then just Celestia’s favorite pupil and a frequent visitor of the castle—and Spike, Twilight’s dragon friend and assistant.

Flash had yet to meet any of the Elements in the flesh. He had always been assigned to some other escort or post when they visited, knowing only from the stories afterward of their victories.

At his second question, Twilight brought her hooves together and beamed. “Yes, exactly! The six of us are the best of friends, and I couldn’t be happier that Princess Celestia sent me to Ponyville to make some.” She sighed. “I just wish I could have went there sooner.”

“Um, Ponyville?”

“You’ve never visited?”

Flash shook his head.

“It’s the friendliest place in Equestria, unlike any other place I have ever been…”

Twilight, disregarding the stashed list completely now, launched into an explanation and detailed exposition about Ponyville, each of the Elements, and some of the more quirky Ponyville locals. He rested a forehoof against his chin and hung on her every word, smiling all the while.

Never before had somepony, anypony spoke with so much pride about a place that wasn’t their hometown, at least to him. All he had ever known was Canterlot, though he’d attended flight camp in Cloudsdale, along with some of his Royal Guard training. Cloudsdale and Canterlot seemed in equal measure in his eyes—homogenous, though Canterlot boasted a minority of Earth ponies and pegasi. Cloudsdale and Canterlot were secure in their traditions, their customs, outliers like Thermals notwithstanding.

Ponyville, from what Twilight described, appeared to be a hub of diversity within Equestria, with everypony from farmers to high-class artisans living together in harmony. Not that the few pegasi or Earth ponies in Canterlot suffered—at least, not visibly so. There was something to be noted about the difference between tolerance and acceptance.

“... And even when the Cake twins were born—one a pegasus, the other a unicorn, to Earth pony parents—nopony batted an eye!” Twilight laughed, shaking her head. “I mean, that’s perfectly reasonable, considering what genetics and past familial... relations can do, but…”

A twinge of indignation rose up within him, threatening to show on his muzzle. Stifling it, Flash merely nodded.

Twilight looked at her forehooves. “You know… Before Celestia sent me to Ponyville, I was actually kind of closed-minded.” She looked up at Flash. “I wasn’t like… like a racist or anything,” she said quickly, “but I just… I hadn’t really given much thought to friendship at all, much less friendship with ponies different than me.”

“Oh, well… I think that’s true of many, Twilight,” Flash said with a small smile.

Twilight nodded, smiling slightly back. “Yes, I know. But still… especially with this Orion thing…”

At Orion, Flash felt his stomach turn to ice. His mind drifted to a terrified Clover, concealing her bruise with the cowl of her cloak. That stallion has no idea what he’s doing to his mare… Even if I can sympathize with him somewhat, he’s a co—

“So!” Twilight cleared her throat. “Now that I’ve bored you with that rant—” she chuckled and brushed her mane from her eyes—”tell me about your friends.”

“M-mine?” Flash asked, startled.

“Well, sure!” Twilight said with a jesting scoff. “I mean… I did just talk your ear off for close to an hour about ponies you’ve never met and a place you’ve never been.” She giggled. “Might as well return the favor, Flash.”

An hour? Flash glanced at the clock again. Sure enough, about ten grains remained in the sands of their hourglass—ten hours of an all-too-small cab to fill with the combined space of their words, or what could pass for words.

Although Flash trusted himself to listen to Twilight without dissolving into a puddle resembling spring slush on the floor, her inquiry only served to bring that same temptation to the surface. While she looked at him intently, his heart began to thunder with that same mix of fire and ice that paralyzed and spurred him in the same instance.

More so when he realized that he did not have much story to tell.

“Er…” Rubbing his nape, he stole a glance at his forehooves. “Well…”

“Don’t be shy,” Twilight encouraged. “We have a lot of time, so feel free to ramble if you like. It can’t be as boring as my story!”

“Heh… Well…”

Flash looked up. Don’t you go ahead and lie now, he admonished himself, fighting his fear. You’ve dug yourself into this mess, and lying only adds another shovel.

You’re boring. Hopelessly boring. Maybe she’ll fall asleep and you can go back to staring out the window.

“Um… Well, one of my good friends is my servant, Greyhoof.”

Twilight’s eyes brightened. “Oh! Greyhoof! He is very nice,” she said with a nod and knowing smile. “I pass by him almost every morning and evening in the hallways. He always seems friendly.”

Flash nodded weakly. “Y-yes, he is.”

“I really like my servant, too. Allspice,” Twilight explained, tapping her chin. “Heh. Took me a moment to remember her name. There are so many ponies in Canterlot Castle, sometimes they get all mixed up and I…” She brought her hooves to the side of her head and spun her eyes around in their sockets, sticking out her tongue.

They shared a laugh.

“Heh, heh, yes… That’s how I felt when I first became a Royal Guard,” Flash said, feeling himself begin to relax, “especially when many of them look almost the same. Like Steel Wind and Sharp Spear. Those two are the exact same, except for their manes!”

Twilight laughed, making him grin. “Are they your friends, too?”

“Er… Well, the three of us went through all of our training together, and do, uh, hang out on leave and weekends sometimes,” Flash answered. That’s the truth. Enough of it.

“Sounds like fun!”

“Eh… yeah.”

Silence. Flash shuffled his hindhooves and tapped a forehoof on the table, lost for anything further.

“Anypony else?” Twilight asked after a little while.

Flash avoided her eyes. “Not really, heh.” When he saw her tilt her head, he explained, “I, um, usually spend my time flying, or reading.”

Any sign of apprehension in her eyes was extinguished. Twilight clapped her forehooves together. “What do you like to read?”

Flash blinked in disbelief. No interrogation about that? No berating me for it? A Princess with legions of admirers and six close friends, five of whom helped her save Equestria, doesn’t want to question why I’m such a—

No. Focus. Focus on her questions. Focus on getting through this. Focus on the time.

He looked at the clock again. Nine hours and forty-five minutes.

“Well…” Taking a breath through his nostrils, Flash began, “I really enjoy history, particularly military or early Equestrian…”

~

Thankfully, Princess Twilight Sparkle latched onto his brief mention of his interest in historical literature, just as she had with his ignorance of Ponyville. Flash Sentry was more than content to allow her to dominate the majority of their conversation, having far too many things he both did and did not want to say.

While she spoke, he focused inwardly on maintaining an iron grip on himself—wings, words, muzzle, and demeanor. By the time only seven hours remained until their arrival, Flash trusted himself enough to relax somewhat again, though he couldn’t be too certain.

He hated himself for having botched his own end of the “friends” conversation, though he was still dumbfounded that she had glossed over his apparent isolation. Once he’d resolved to telling the truth, he expected to be met with silence and a cold shoulder at best, a fleeing alicorn at worst.

Not only had she stayed, but she talked to him still, sharing anecdotes of history, favorite historians, and the details of her research plan. He laughed and she laughed; he felt genuine, and hoped she did, too.

A sheep in lion’s clothing, Flash Sentry knew that his disinterest in the typical life of a bachelor stallion was unusual. He focused on his work, his books, and his dreams, trying to drown away the nagging little voice in the back of his mind, trying to be normal.

Nevertheless, it was difficult to form true friendships when he opposed what everypony else so fundamentally embraced. More than once, he wished he could accept the order, the way things were—or, at least, open up to somepony other than Greyhoof (or Spitfire, for a few seconds) about it. Unfortunately, his sky was devoid of almost all lucky stars.

Princess Twilight Sparkle finally began to yawn and stretch after almost three hours of discussion. Smacking her lips, she glanced towards the saddlebags on the top bunk of the bed with a tired grin. “I think I’m going to get some rest.”

Flash rose to his hooves and nodded, grimacing as he stretched his cramped limbs. While she gracefully stood up, pushed off her hindhooves, and hovered over to the bunk, he grabbed his spear and stood beside the cab door. Resuming a guard’s stance, Flash opened the door and stuck his head out.

Empty.

Her laugh forced him around so quick that he almost smacked his head against the wall. “I don’t think anypony but the train-staff are going to be out there, Flash.”

With a brief laugh, Flash replied, “You’re right. Sorry.” He winced as he apologized, cursing himself. Guess you don’t totally have a grip yet.

“No need to apologize.” Twilight rolled onto her side and folded her wings over herself, resting her head on the pillow with a contented sigh. “I should be the one to apologize and just let you do your job, huh?”

“It’s alright.” Wanting to respect her modesty, Flash turned away, the faintest hint of a blush on his cheeks.

Hearing Twilight settle into the bunk and pull the blankets over herself, then yawn, he couldn’t help but smile.

“Could you please wake me up when we get there? Or when the dinner cart comes around? I’m starving,” she muttered, closing her eyes.

“Of course,” he said, his own stomach rumbling in protest. Flash smiled over his shoulder, stepped out of the cab, and put a hoof on its door.

“Goodnight, Twilight.”

She opened her eyes and smiled at him. “Goodnight, Flash.”

He closed the door and leaned against it, standing in the middle of the empty train.

Flash, finally left to his lonesome, allowed himself a toothy smile. Despite the train’s relentless churning towards the frozen north, he felt warm from his chest outward while he allowed the day’s conversation to replay in his mind.

Not the greatest, but just enough… Just enough will have to do.

Outside, the spirals and towers of the crystalline castle came closer and closer into view. And, with them, Prince Shining Armor and Princess Cadence—Twilight’s brother and the Princess of Love—came ever closer.

Another clock on the wall. A little under seven hours.

Flash didn’t feel so hungry anymore.

~

The dinner cart came and went, bringing with it tidings of simple salad and rolls. Twilight gave the fervently bowing and apologetic chef and his staff the most generous of thanks. While simple, the meal was more than fit for a Princess, even if the train’s crew insisted otherwise.

Flash, too, enjoyed his meal, and waved off the forefront apology of the same staff, who looked at Twilight’s “personal guard” with what he surmised to be fear. Despite his lack of appetite, he still ate, enjoying the lull in their journey.

After she finished her plate, Twilight resumed her nap. Flash granted her privacy once more, standing guard outside their cab, though he was fatigued himself. Her initial cheeky comment regarding the bunk beds lingered in his mind nonetheless.

Surely she didn’t mean anything by it. And it would be highly inappropriate for me to sleep in the same room as her, regardless.

Ironhoof has eyes and ears everywhere, even in the north.

No stowaway or marauder could be found, no matter how intensely Flash searched the train with the fine-toothed combs of his eyes, practically begging for something, anything to happen. Motion was commotion, and could drown out his nagging emotion.

Doubt filled his thoughts. There’s no danger to be found here. Perhaps Princess Celestia is—

No. That’s ridiculous.

Beyond the glass, fields and meadows of green and wildflowers fell away to a long stretch of frozen tundra. While springtime had just arrived in Canterlot and the vast majority of Equestria, melting away the final remnants of winter, the Crystal Empire had yet to awaken beneath its blanket of white. Flash remembered that, while it lacked pegasi of any sort, the Empire still experienced the four seasons. An ancient magic, similar to the wild Everfree, governed the cyclic changes there, or so went the stories.

The wild snow began to embrace their train, flakes falling steadily, accumulating on the windows and wheels of the bustling locomotive. Flash couldn’t help but watch the snowfall in a bit of awe, grinning like a schoolcolt at the sight of snow in what he had always known to be springtime.

Immersed in the rhythm of Twilight’s undeniably adorable snoring, coupled with the silent wonder of the frozen north welcoming them, Flash Sentry felt at peace, and more than alright.

~

A few minutes or hours later, the train blew its whistle, slowing its velocity as it pulled into the Crystal Empire station at last. Flash spun around and knocked on the door to the cab. “Pri—Twilight?”

The only response Flash received was more snoring.

The train gave another long whistle, the brakes squealing when it came to a full stop. Flash braced his hooves for the jolt, leaning against the door as the train shifted into position.

The train-guard emerged from the engine and stepped into the hallway, calling out, “Crystal Empire station! Please gather your belongings before leaving, Your Highness!”

Flash rapped on the door again. “Twilight?”

More snoring.

Horseapples!

The guard approached him with a quizzical look, cleaning his glasses in his magic. “Ah, sir, is the Princess ready?”

“I think she’s still asleep,” Flash said with another knock on the door.

The guard laughed and put his glasses back on. “Well, you’d best wake her up, sir. We’re here.”

No, really? Flash inwardly rolled his eyes. He knocked on the door a fourth time. Twilight continued to snore.

Feeling the guard’s smug stare on him, Flash reluctantly opened the cab door.

A single candle was burnt to the last of its wick. Its light illuminated the slumbering alicorn on the top bunk. Princess Twilight, wrapped in a tangle of her own wings and blanket, lay on her back, her hooves a sprawled mess all over the mattress. A trail of drool led from her mouth to her pillow, then dripped to the floor. She snored and kicked in her sleep, then smacked her lips.

Blushing furiously—snapping his struggling wings down—Flash called out into the dim light, “Um, ah, Y-Your Highness, we’re—”

Suddenly, the snoring ceased in mid-note. Twilight opened one eye, then the other.

Then, gasping, she fell off the bed, face-first.

In a panic, Flash rushed over, fearing the worst. Oh, this one’ll be fun to explain. Look at what you just did!

He quickly set his spear aside and leaned down, asking with a slight trembling in his voice, “A-are you alright, Y-Your Highness?”

With a groan, Twilight looked up from the floor. “Why are you calling me t—”

Behind them, the train guard clicked on the overhead lights, illuminating the entire cab. “Are you alright, Your Majesty?” he asked, stepping inside.

Twilight nodded and looked up at Flash again. To his shock, not only was there no trace of anger or fear in her eyes, but there was her smile again. That small, sheepish smile she had shown him a few times beforehoof, only hours before…

“Y-you scared me.”

“I’m sorry, Your Highness!” Flash exclaimed, sticking out his forehoof.

Twilight chuckled. “It’s alright, Flash.”

When Twilight accepted his outstretched forehoof and slowly stood up, it was unmistakable.

The same blush. The same smile.

In his mind’s eye, Flash returned to that moment, only a few days ago, with that same delicate forehoof in his own…

He blinked to find Twilight with her saddlebags on her back, giving a warm smile to the train-guard. “Thank you very much for the safe journey. Please give my thanks to the engineer as well.”

Twilight turned around. “Ready, Flash?”

After grabbing his spear and his own saddlebags, Flash nodded, an eager grin shining on his muzzle. He made no motion to hide it this time around.

“Ready, Princess.”

~

Side-by-side they trotted through the sleeping city and towards the grandiose castle in the distance. Though the steady wind sent snowflakes spiraling their direction, Flash considered suggesting flying the rest of their way. Twilight, however, had taken to her hooves, and he was not one to question.

The silence that caressed his feathers along with the cold brought no chill to his bones. Although protected by a thick layer of down beneath his primaries in addition to his fur, he felt a warmth that he knew had nothing to do with physiology.

This is the second time, he thought, staring straight ahead but wanting so badly to look at her again. But maybe it’s just a coincidence. I’m just noticing what I want to notice.

Past darkened homes, closed businesses, and abandoned vendor’s carts, they strode, silent but for the rhythm of their hooves and exhalations in the night, clouds of dragon mist in the monsterless tundra.

He remembered Greyhoof’s request and made a mental note to return to this area later if possible, taking note of several intriguing storefronts, cafes, and other attractions. All would make for a fine photo opportunity.

Once they reached the final path to the castle, Twilight glanced over at him and broke the silence with a giggle.

Flash raised an eyebrow. “Wh-what’s so—”

“There’s ice all over your muzzle,” Twilight said, bringing a forehoof to her lips.

Upon reaching up to touch his snout, Flash found that, indeed, not just flakes, but icicles, too, hung around his chin and lips. Flustered, he wiped them away, only to make Twilight laugh again.

“Couldn’t help it,” she said with another chuckle.

Flustered, he grinned anyway. “That’s alright, Twilight.”

Thankfully, in spite of the rapidly accumulating snow, the crystal pathway was not slick in the slightest, his golden horseshoes digging fitfully into the ground without missing a step. They trudged on a few more steps, their journey almost at its end.

Before they reached the door, Twilight turned to stop him. “Um, Flash…”

His ears perked up. “Yes?”

“I noticed how you called me the regal names in front of the train-guard. You really don’t have to do that.”

Flash raised an eyebrow and took a step back. But… Well… I’m not—

“To be honest…” Twilight looked into the distance for a moment before returning to him. “It… gets old quickly, hearing it from everypony. And… With this trip, I guess I sort of want a break from that, too, I guess.”

But I’m not your—

Flash opened his mouth to object, but Twilight raised a forehoof to stop him. “Nopony will mind if you use the familiar. Not even Shining or Cadence. And, if somepony does, you can just direct them to me. Okay?”

Although still beyond confused, Flash simply nodded, returning her smile with his own. “Okay, Twilight.”

With that, Twilight approached the door and knocked, Flash in tow.

Only a few moments passed before Shining Armor opened the door with his magic, a huge grin, and wide, excited eyes. “Twily! You made it!”

Twilight jumped into her brother’s waiting forehooves, flinging hers around his neck. “Shining! It’s so good to see you, big brother!”

“Aww, it’s so good to see you too, Twilight!” Shining replied, giving her a nuzzle. When he released her, he kept his grin and met Flash Sentry’s eyes. “And it’s good to see you, too, Flash!”

Flash bowed. “Good to see you, Cap—er, Your Highness.”

Shining laughed. “Oh, please, you must be mistaking me for Ironhoof!” With another chuckle, he motioned for Flash to come inside, who obliged, stepping out of the cold.

In amazement, Flash took in the sight of the crystal castle’s first floor. While it was neither a courtyard nor a foyer, “lobby” seemed an unfitting description as well. Towering pillars of pure gemstone connected the arching ceiling to the next floor, along with several sparkling stairways. Multiple doors connected this main room to what Flash guessed were court rooms, dining halls, and meeting rooms.

Its lack of guards aside, Flash Sentry realized that it was almost a replica of Canterlot Castle, albeit far more beautiful.

Shining grinned. “Impressed, Flash?”

“Yes, Ca—Your Highness,” Flash said, turning to him.

“That’s how most ponies react when they see this place with their own eyes. And that’s just the first level! Not to mention that there are some more impressive places outside these castle walls.”

“Wait until you see the library where I’ll be doing my research,” Twilight said to Flash. “More history is waiting in there than in two Canterlot Archives, I bet!”

“Yes, Yo—Twilight.” In anticipation of Shining’s reaction, Flash winced and braced himself for a scolding.

Instead, Shining merely nodded. He began to head up the stairs, directing the two to follow him. “Maybe even three, Twilight. But that’ll have to wait until morning.”

“Morning?” Twilight protested, sidling up alongside her brother. “But I’m—” she paused to yawn—”not tired! And I have a ton of research to do!”

“Which can wait. Your letter said you’ll be staying up to a month, right?” Shining asked.

Twilight shrugged. “Could be longer if I dawdle.”

Shaking his head, Shining muttered, “Some things never change…”

Flash suppressed a snort.

As they reached the top of the stairs, Twilight shot him a skeptical glare. “What was that, Shining?”

Shining laughed. “Nothing. Anyway, Cadence went to bed a few hours ago. She wasn’t feeling too well.”

Twilight bit her lip. “Is she going to be alright?”

Flash looked to Shining Armor as well. While he wasn’t as well-acquainted with Princess Cadence as he was with Celestia or Luna, he bore no ill will against the Princess of Love.

“She’s just been stressed lately,” Shining replied, though Flash could note a touch of fatigue in his tone, “but nothing that a good night’s sleep or two can’t cure. She should be up and about in the morning. I’ve asked the castle chef to make her favorite dish, after all,” he added with a smirk.

“Well, that’s good to hear. I missed her,” Twilight replied.

“And she missed you, too, Twily. In fact… I think she has a few things to discuss with you, when you have some time.”

Few things?

Before Twilight could reply, Shining Armor pointed across the second level to a hallway. “Down this hallway are your rooms. I’ve had the servants prepare a room for each of you, and both should have everything you need. I think it’s best we all get a good night’s sleep, then talk some more in the morning,” he said, yawning. “At least, I should.”

“Thank you, Your Highness,” Flash said with a bow of his head.

“You’re welcome, Flash. There’s been some things I’ve been meaning to talk to you about as well, when we get a chance,” he added, regarding him with a sideways glance and a slight furrow of his brow.

Things to talk to me about? Did Ironhoof tell you something?

Flash Sentry had little time for contemplation. After giving him another quick hug, Twilight said her goodnight to Shining Armor, prompting Flash to do the same. Shining then turned towards another set of stairs and his own bedroom, his hoof-steps echoing against the resonating crystal as he exited.

Within a minute, Flash was following Twilight down the hallway, which, instead of being dimly lit by torchlight, was dotted with glowing crystals embedded in the wall. While Twilight opened the door to each room, inspecting them by the glow of her horn, he marveled once more at the ingenuity of this palace. Sombra or no, whoever built this was an architect to rival all of Canterlot’s.

A pivot of hooves drew her attention. Twilight stood in the threshold of the right-side room, yawning and smacking her lips.

“Well… Goodnight, Flash,” Twilight mumbled, swaying as she meandered into her room.

She’s so cute when she’s tired.

“G-goodnight… Twilight,” Flash said quietly.

The door closed behind her, then locked.

Against his better judgment, Flash did not punish himself for this latest thought. Whether it was due to his own growing fatigue or something else, he didn’t dwell on it.

He made himself comfortable in the left-side room, removing his armor and hanging it in the wardrobe in the closet. The bed he found to be far cozier than the one back at Canterlot Castle, full-sized, adorned with plenty of blankets, and without a rock-hard mattress.

While Twilight’s snores drifted under his door, Flash Sentry stared at the ceiling, his forehooves behind his head and his wings stretched at last. Thoughts of all stripes ran rampant through his mind on endless loop, few of them discernible.

What does she think? What do I think? Aren’t I fooling myself?

I have to be. This isn’t right.

… Right?

Outside his window, the snow was still falling, laying the city down below to sleep.