• Published 29th Dec 2013
  • 10,375 Views, 1,610 Comments

What Hath Joined Together - Bad_Seed_72



Sequel to "The Order". Despite receiving a harsh reprimand from Captain Ironhoof, Flash Sentry still struggles with his feelings for Twilight. When he is assigned to escort her to the Crystal Empire, tensions on all sides escalate.

  • ...
99
 1,610
 10,375

What Lies Above

What Lies Above

“Urgh…”

Letting the crystal fall to the desk, Twilight shook her head. No matter what she did to the white quartzite crystal, how she wore it, or what she thought while wearing it, she could not use it in the same manner that Amethyst had. Other than levitating it like any other object, it seemed unresponsive to any of her magical efforts.

Twilight jotted down more notes on a scrap of parchment. With a sigh, she looked up at her increasingly messier desk. One chunk of the white quartzite lay beneath her microscope, another beneath her magnifying glass. Bits of a torchgem lay next to their counterparts. The hammer and chisel were crossed uselessly over each other beside scattered parchment, translation guides, and one very ancient book with yellowed pages.

Twilight glanced over at the book from the library. Never would she have guessed that the Old Equestrian tongue would give her so much trouble. A little over two days since its discovery and she wasn’t even halfway finished translating it.

Luckily, Twilight was not one to be bested by any book.

Twilight set her notes down and looked between the two crystals. I can’t seem to get the torchgem to respond to my magic, either. I can’t even get it to light! So how did Cadence and Shining get it to light up the hallways? And why does it only light up at night? Maybe somepony has to activate it? I’ll have to ask one of the servants.

After taking a seat at her desk, Twilight decided that a quick break was in order. Her prior fatigue had vanished in the face of such an exciting discovery.

As she sipped her latest cup of coffee—the servants kept taking the old cups and bringing her new ones, so she had long lost count—her thoughts turned back to the match between Flash and Amethyst. While the scholar in her appreciated the demonstration of the algem’s powers the most, the mare in her had… other ideas.

Snapping her wings back down, Twilight pushed those thoughts away, then looked down at her translation notes. The passage that she had struggled with last night had been fully translated, and, using inferences from the context of the book so far, had even been grammatically revised:

The day held no remorse towards the serpent, though the night did not feel the same. The serpent charmed both day and night, though the skies themselves were not pleased with him. But at the great meeting of the skies in the horizon, there came a new dawn, and the serpent was welcomed into the forest. Then, the night came to know the serpent, but not as the day knew him.

It reads like either a fairytale, something from a foal’s storybook, or an allegory for something greater. And I would have thought the former, if it hadn’t been for this, which I discovered this morning…

Once Twilight set her mug down, she flipped through the tome to a particular page—only a few pages prior to her current bookmark. She replaced magic with her forehoof, smoothing out the yellowed parchment, until it lay flat.

There, at the very top-right corner of the page, was a small symbol.

When she first laid eyes upon it, Twilight, red-eyed and frazzle-maned, had grabbed the nearest tepid cup of coffee, gulped it down, then slapped herself.

The symbol had remained.

Quintessence, Twilight thought as she ran her forehoof over the symbol—an enlarged version of it this time, which she had carefully drawn herself. The primordial symbol of the ancient study of alchemy. A lost science, yes, and a very flawed one at that, but…

Only one pony used the mark of quintessence as his own.

His name was Starswirl.

When she had finally stopped slapping herself, Twilight had bounced around her room, both forehooves trying their best to hold back her screams and squeals of joy. Of course, it was then that she remembered it was three in the morning and Flash was trying to sleep.

Starswirl the Bearded used that mark! Which means that this book is his. Whether it’s a journal, or a record of findings, or even a piece of fiction he authored… it is his. Oh Cadence, I forgive you for all of this business about the Order and… Flash… since I found this!

After she spent a few more precious moments letting the words Starswirl the Bearded’s book run through her head, Twilight removed her forehoof from the symbol and glanced at the clock. But tonight can’t just be for research. Flash said he wanted to go for a flight after dinner today. Dinner was an hour ago, and he didn’t mention anything then. He didn’t forget, did he? It should be any minute now, I hope—

Waitaminute.

Is this a… date?

And if it is, did I say yes?

No.

Nonononono. Definitely not! That would be crazy! He’s just offering to do something for me since I invited him to the play last week. Just returning a favor. For a friend! Favors for friends, like good friends do, right? Heh, heh—

At the knock on her door, Twilight nearly jumped high enough to hit her ceiling. “Gah! C-come in!”

The door creaked open. Behind it stood Flash Sentry, outfitted in his golden Royal Guard armor as usual. Familiar. Nonthreatening.

With a gentle smile, he asked, “Er, did I scare you?”

To Twilight’s surprise, she was running both forehooves through one strand of her mane. Releasing it immediately, she then shook her head at him. “N-nope! You’re fine, just fine! I-I mean… Uh, good evening!”

If Flash was fazed by her erratic behavior, he didn’t show it. “Good evening. How comes the research? Did you find out anything about the crystal?”

“Crystal?” Twilight looked over at the chunk of algem. “Oh! No, no, still working on that.”

“Oh. And the book?”

“Still working on that too, but… I did find a few things. Here, listen to this.” Twilight picked up her translation notes and read off the passage she had previously been pondering.

Flash tilted his head at her narration. “Huh… Wasn’t expecting that. I’m not quite sure what it means.”

Twilight set the book down. “Neither am I. I have a feeling that, once I finish the entire book, it will all make sense. I should be done by Monday morning. Oh, and take a look at this.” She held up her version of the quintessence symbol.

Silence. Flash studied the symbol carefully, raising an eyebrow, before he said, “It’s… very interesting. What does it signify?”

“This is the quintessence, the primary symbol of alchemy. It was used exclusively by Starswirl the Bearded!”

Flash’s eyes widened. “Starswirl the Bearded?! Are you sure?”

“Positive!” Twilight declared with a triumphant grin. “I’ve never been so thankful for a nosebleed in my whole life!”

Though he brought a forehoof to his lips, Flash failed to suppress a chuckle.

Rolling her eyes, Twilight laughed with him. “Oh, hush. You know what I mean.”

“Haha, I suppose.” Flash glanced around the room, then cleared his throat. “So… Are… A-are you still wanting to go on a flight tonight? Or, if you’re too busy—”

Twilight stepped away from her desk and joined him in the threshold far too quickly than was necessary. “I would lo—like that. To join you. On a flight. Yes.” She added another nervous chuckle, looking away from him and mentally bashing her head against the wall.

By Starswirl’s beard and Celestia’s mane, get! It! Together! You don’t even know what you’re going to do about this yet… Stop making it so damn awkward! And stop swearing in your thoughts! It’s a bad habit!

Seemingly oblivious to her mental anguish, Flash Sentry smiled with a nod, and gestured for her to follow him with a flick of his wing.

Twilight chose not to trust her words this time, instead nodding and following after him.

~

The Crystal Palace was quiet after dinner most evenings, except for those in which Cadence conned Shooting Star or Shining Armor into a round of checkers, chess, or even cards. The Princess of Love was also gifted in games of skill (and luck) and managed to beat both stallions quite thoroughly and easily.

Twilight had yet to hear of her losing during their stay. While she had played Cadence in checkers a few times these past two weeks, she never expected to win, though not for lack of trying. Nevertheless, she had stopped winning when she had grown old enough to realize her foalsitter was losing purposefully to her.

Tonight, Twilight heard no calls for mercy from Shooting Star, nor any sarcastic congratulations from Shining as she and Flash passed the Royal Dining Hall. Their only companions were their hoofsteps and the occasional passing servant, whom greeted them warmly but said nothing of their lack of other company.

As they reached their destination, Twilight heard delicate hoofsteps she knew all too well. Flash stopped and turned around, then bowed his head. “Good evening, Your Highness.”

“Good evening, Flash, Twilight. How are you two this evening?” Cadence asked, giving Twilight a knowing grin.

Twilight’s cheeks burned. Oh, don’t you even THINK about it, Cadence! “We’re fine, just fine. Going on a flight.”

“Good idea. The winds may have picked up a little today, but it is still a beautiful night. Do take good care of her, Flash.” Cadence winked at him, then nudged Twilight’s wing with her own.

Stammering, Flash mustered an acknowledgement of her order and a weak bow. His gaze shifted from Cadence, to Twilight, to the floor.

Flushing again, Twilight narrowed her eyes at Cadence. “We’ll be just fine. Where’s Shining Armor?”

“He went to bed early. Please excuse me, you two, for I should join him. Meeting with the new merchants this morning took a lot out of me,” Cadence said, starting towards the stairs.

“New merchants?” Twilight asked, grateful for the change of subject.

After a pause, Cadence waved a forehoof dismissively. “Mmhm. A pair of Earth ponies from Appleloosa who want to open a clothing store, and a pegasus who runs a bar. We seem to be attracting all kinds of business lately.”

Eyes narrowed again, Twilight replied, “So you are.”

“Anyway, I won’t hold you two up. Have a good flight, and a good night, Twilight, Flash.”

“Goodnight, Your Highness!” Flash waved after her.

“Goodnight.” Twilight did not.

As Cadence trotted up the crystal stairs, Twilight tried her best to ignore her cocky grin. Flash followed her with his eyes for a moment, ears pricked, head tilted in obvious confusion.

It’s not a date. Okay? Dammit, Cadence, you got a confession out of me already! Isn’t that enough?

… And there I go again, cursing in my thoughts. Ugh, just get me out of here.

Groaning, Twilight picked up her hooves again. Flash caught on and followed her out of the palace.

Outside, as Cadence had said, the wind had picked up, but the night was otherwise pristine. A blue-black blanket of stars beckoned them above the light dusting of white below. Flash led her back around towards the hill above the recruits’ camp, where the multicolored tents glowed from their mysterious treasures within.

“Beautiful night for a flight.” Flash’s breath became mist in the dim. “Are you ready?”

Twilight unfurled her wings, stretched them, then flapped them once. “Haven’t done much flying this week, but I should be alright. Where are we going?”

His eyes met hers, and that grin that she had come to enjoy crossed his muzzle.

“You’ll see.”

~

Twilight was speechless.

Throughout the flight, there had been rough winds, unyielding thermals, a missed glide or two. Flash had helped her along the way, giving her instructions without a hint of annoyance or irritation in his voice. When a stray gust sent her teetering, he corrected her flight path with a nudge of his own wings and forehooves. Her landing had even been a bit smoother after he demonstrated how he made his own.

Other than her mishaps, it had been a lovely flight indeed. The fading winter had embraced her, but she felt no chill beneath her down feathers. A mischievous voice in her head said that was because she kept recalling the warmth of his touch, but she had managed to shrug it off as she embraced the thermals in return.

Now, she sat beside him, perched high on a cliff above the peaks of the Crystal Mountains.

The snow on the peaks below, which would last through the coming spring and linger in the early summer, was pristine and pure, blameless and untouched. The Crystal Palace was a mere semblance of a structure, no arches or towers to be seen. The mighty flagpole that flew the Equestrian flag in the recruits camp was only the slightest bit discernible, the brilliant banner certainly flapping in the steady winds.

Here, she could clearly see how the streets of the distant Crystal Empire formed a snowflake pattern, the palace being the epicenter of that ubiquitous symbol of winter—the very same one that waved on the Empire’s own unique flag. The top two stories of the library jutted over the horizon above the other peaks of the buildings in the business district. The facade of the Crystal Mines was a mere toothpick in the moonlight, but even still, she could see it—one of the many points of the Empire’s snowflake, and a vital one at that.

Here, everything seemed much more… dynamic. Connected. Although she had only been to the Crystal Empire prior to this research expedition to save it, with the occasional visit to Shining and Cadence thrown in, she had never seen it like this.

On Twilight’s grand night flight with Cadence, they had alighted upon a cliff-face much closer. Then, everything felt somehow insignificant below her. Now, everything felt somehow felt more significant.

Perhaps the only thing that’s changed is my eyes.

“... Well?”

At last, Twilight tore her eyes from the majesty of it all.

Flash was smiling at her with anticipation and glee. He looked like a foal on Hearth’s Warming morning—a foal who was more excited to see the look on his parents’ faces when they opened his gift to them than he was to open his own gift.

“What do you think?” Flash asked.

“It’s…” Twilight looked around the distant yet familiar scene far beyond and below them, taking in a deep breath of clean air and awe. “It’s absolutely amazing. I… How did you find this spot?”

“I spent all of yesterday looking for the perfect viewpoint.” Though it seemed impossible, Flash grinned even wider.

“Viewpoint?” Fearful she was missing something, Twilight scanned the horizon again, searching the Empire. “For what?”

Flash turned around, then pointed a wing towards the skies yonder. “For this.”

After Twilight turned around, she was breathless.

Brilliant hues of green, blue, and violet swirled and twirled and tangoed through the night sky. They melted in the blanket of starry night, forming a series of vibrant lights and patterns. The most prominent were the rays of green light, which twisted and turned through the atmosphere as if they were brushstrokes upon a glowing canvas. The stars pierced through the veil of color, mixing with the natural hues of the night, along with those of the aurora. The lights continued to dance above them, the brushstrokes of green shifting to those of violet, and then to blue, and then back again. They shimmered and sparkled, silent but eternal, in a grand testament to the majesty of the Empire and the Earth below.

There it was, the wondrous Aurora Borealis—a foal’s tale, a legend of a land long lost to darkness and shadow and frost—and here she was, watching it.

Beside her, he was just as speechless and breathless, his sapphire irises tracing the patterns in the sky. What remained of his breath was a slow but constant mist in the billows of wind and cold, though he did not shiver. His golden armor reflected the shades of the aurora. His tangerine coat and feathers were slick with a sheen of sweat—sweat in the presence of something that only Galaxia herself could have conjured, in that place far beyond—but it only accentuated his muscles and his patterns. The noble blue blanket on his back that had once bore her blood was perfectly cared for, not one thread out of place, and it was all she could do not to lean over and wrap herself in it, or in him.

Twilight Sparkle watched the Aurora Borealis, then watched Flash Sentry, then watched them both. She did not know which sight fascinated or intrigued her more in this moment.

In this moment, she let go of her reservations for now—her logical, historical objections, her what-ifs, her continued search for answers, her lingering self-hatred and doubt and fear—and enjoyed the moment.

For minutes or hours, they watched the light show in the heavens, that rare phenomenon that King Sombra had banished to a thousand years of campfire stories and nursery rhymes along with an entire race, culture, and land.

For minutes or hours, they sat in silence, both unconsciously moving towards the other, until Twilight was laying her head on his shoulder and he was wrapping her wing around her, and they were just watching the skies and each other, and all was silent and all was still and all was bright and all was beautiful.

Sometime, minutes or hours later, Twilight Sparkle spoke up at last, looking sideways up at him from her place on his shoulder.

“Thank you, Flash.”

Flash Sentry, his wing still wrapped around her, looked down at her from his place beside her.

“You’re welcome, Twilight.”

Twilight knew, in that moment, as she had known two evenings prior, why Flash had moved from being unable to look at her or speak to her to making a conscious and admirable effort to do both. Why he had offered to help her in the library. Why he had listened to her frustrations without becoming exasperated.

Why he had kissed her hoof, and started all of this.

She knew, and he knew, and she knew that he knew she knew.

And as much as Twilight wanted to lean in now, cross the greatest distance ever conceived, and kiss him, she could not.

For, when she leaned in just a tad, and he looked down at her, and he began to lean in, too, every ounce of her being that rebelled against everything she had known crumbled under the pressure.

It’s wrong.

He is not for you.

And you are not for him.

Before she could stop herself, Twilight was scurrying away, her hooves kicking pebbles down the cliff and onto the peaks miles below.

Flash took a step towards her, then stopped, and bowed his head.

“I… I’m sorry,” he said, meeting her gaze only briefly before looking away.

Seeing the pain in his eyes, Twilight took a step towards him. “Flash—”

Flash took a step away. “I… I shouldn’t have—”

“No, I shouldn’t have,” Twilight said.

Flash looked as if she had just slapped him.

Twilight flinched. “S-sorry. I didn’t mean—no. I’m sorry.”

Flash sighed, then muttered something under his breath.

Twilight took another step towards him. “What?”

“I… I shouldn’t have brought you here.”

Now, Twilight was the one who felt wounded. She recoiled at his words, looking away.

Sighing again, Flash shook his head, then brought his forehooves to his helmet. “Celestia dammit.

Normally, such a curse would have resulted in, at the very least, a very harsh and creatively worded reprimand from either Flash’s commanding officer, one of his peers, or maybe even Luna, Twilight noted. But she would not punish him. She agreed.

Celestia dammit, indeed.

Flash pulled off his helmet and set it aside on the cold ground. Running his forehooves through his mane—which, Twilight noted, had been tamed to perfection befitting the highest of nobility—he then gritted his teeth and said, perhaps more to himself than to her, “I can’t keep doing this.”

Twilight took another step towards him and set down beside his discarded helmet. I know. I can’t keep doing this either. But…

I want to. Celestia dammit—I’ll deal with cleaning up my thoughts later—I don’t want it stop. Not yet.

“We can’t keep doing this.” Flash looked directly at Twilight, his expression more conflicted than embarrassed. He fell silent, waiting for an answer.

“... But we keep doing this,” Twilight replied at last, sighing.

Silence.

“We… we want to, don’t we?” she whispered, more a squeak than a whisper—one that would make Fluttershy scold Twilight for being such a loudmouth.

Flash Sentry said nothing, his jaws clenched as he looked to the skies.

Twilight drew circles with her forehoof in the snow, waiting for something, anything.

And then…

“I… I… I can request a reassignment as s-soon as we get b-back. Two more weeks. They’ll p-pass soon.” His tenor voice was trembling straight to alto. “And I can—”

No,” Twilight said in a bold whisper, looking up at him.

Flash turned to face her. “N-n… n-no?”

Twilight shook her head. “No, Flash.”

The tiniest bit of courage crept into her tone as her wings flared on their own accord. Whether it was from conviction or something more sinister, she wasn’t sure, but she didn’t knock them back down. “I… I know you don’t want to do that, and I know you don’t want to either. But—”

“But I must,” Flash said. “Do you know what will become of us if I don’t?”

“But… but you’re my friend!” Twilight almost shouted, her voice cutting across the winds between and around them. “And I… I don’t know if…”

Twilight trailed off, Cadence’s promise echoing in her head. “I just ask that you keep this between us…” But… but then you pushed me to do this! To confront my feelings! And how can I do that without compromising you?

Beside her, Flash seemed similarly lost in thought. He stared off into the aurora as Twilight watched him seem to struggle with a similar dilemma in his own head. Just what did Shining tell him during that Guard meeting? Or when they spend time together? Does Shining know? Cadence does, so Shining must! Is Shining pushing him like she’s pushing me?

Celestia dammit, this is a mess. I just—

“I need more time,” Twilight blurted.

Tearing his eyes from the Northern Lights, Flash turned back to her. “More time? For—”

“Flash… I…” Twilight took a deep breath, then shook her head. “I can’t tell you everything, but… I… I have a major decision to make soon. About… whether to support something or not. And that decision… it will depend on how we go from…”

With another breath, she gestured to them. “Whatever… this is, and will be.”

At her words, the gears in Flash’s mind seemed to turn. Slowly at first, and then faster, and then he was looking her in the eye again. “Ah, I… I see. W-well… What would you like to—”

“I really—I enjoy having you as a friend, Flash,” Twilight said, raising her forehooves. “And I…” Crimson merged with violet, not in the sky, but in her muzzle. “And I know that… certain things… and ponies… they can’t… W-well, that doesn’t seem to matter here in the Empire, now, does it?”

With a cough, Flash rubbed the back of his neck. “No, it… It doesn’t seem to. Not as much. I mean… You know that some ponies are certainly… sneaking around… right? Even back home?”

Glancing at the Crystal Palace in the far beyond, Twilight nodded.

Flash coughed again. “W-well… Er… Like… I know you don’t like Apt and Quartz—”

“Do you?” Twilight asked, flinching a bit at her own interruption. Can’t you just let him finish? I bet nopony lets him finish! Why can’t you? “I’m sorry for interrupting.”

“No, it’s alright,” Flash replied, the ghost of a smile rising on his muzzle. “But… Well… I… I like Apt. He is a nice pony. Very helpful.” He looked up at the sky for a moment, then continued. “And he has a good heart. And Quartz seems nice too. Very talented, and he obviously cares about Apt.

“I mean, if you’re asking me if… them being together is… okay…” Flash bit his lip. “That is not my place, Twilight.”

“I’m asking you then outside of your place.”

Flash raised an eyebrow. “‘Outside of my place’?”

“Yes! Like… As a pony, what do you think?” Twilight asked.

Another wave of silence.

Then, Flash looked up at her as something dark passed behind his eyes. “Twilight… I have never been asked anything ‘as a pony’. Not in the last five years.

“Please, forgive me, but… Why are you asking me this? Why does my opinion matter?”

After allowing his question to settle, she placed a forehoof on the blue bristles of his Guard helmet.

“Because, Flash, when I—when we started on this trip, I asked you to call me Twilight. Not ‘Your Highness’ or ‘my Princess’ or any of that, because I was tired of not being talked to like a pony. I was tired of being talked to like some sort of priceless figurine or something, and treated as such. I… I wanted somepony to just talk to me as a pony. Pony-to-pony. And you… Well… I… I li—enjoy your company, and seeing how most of the Royal Guards are… How quiet and stoic and neutral they are, how most of them look like stone… you were… different.”

Twilight smiled as she continued. “You were different, and, with you, I felt… A little more comfortable. I mean, still… you know… at first, but a little more comfortable. Because I felt that maybe, just maybe, if I got to know you, that I could have a friend in that dreary old castle. A friend who doesn’t raise the sun or moon, or unzip the fabric of reality. I felt that you could be that pony—that you’ve wanted to be that pony for a while, but nopony would let you.

“Does that make sense?”

The silence this time was peaceful—the silence of friends and welcome strangers.

Flash Sentry laid his forehoof on the other side of his Guard helmet, beside hers. “It does, Twilight. It does.”

“So then… What do you think? And if you’re worried about… rules… Please don’t worry. What you say to me, stays with me.”

“And the same to you.”

Twilight smiled, then nodded, prompting him to continue.

Flash looked down at his helmet, at their hooves separated by the field of blue. “I like them. Apt and Quartz. I think they’re happy, and that is good. I know it’s a bit different, and I used to feel the same about them that you do. But… Well…

“I thought two of my friends were like that. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if they actually were,” Flash said with a laugh. “And I thought it over. The same as when I discovered a fellow Knight had a marefriend who was an Earth pony. It was a secret, and I discovered it by accident, but he saved my flank back in the Changeling skirmishes, so I kept it his secret. I thought that over, too. And… Well…” His ears flattened. “You know about my… own issues…”

After another pause, Flash finished, “I guess I put everything together, both things that happened to me and to other ponies, and I realized that this… this Order can’t be around forever, can it? Maybe it works for most ponies, but it doesn’t work for everypony, and for those who fall outside of it… it’s difficult. And that’s not even getting into the divisions between us all, or the traditional professions.”

Twilight began to reply, but Flash cut in, speaking as he stared down at his helmet like it was a profane thing. “My father, you know, is Sentinel. Once a Corporal of the Royal Guard. Well, I made Knight… one rank higher than he did. He was very proud.”

“What did your mother think?” Twilight asked, keeping her voice as gentle as possible. You never mentioned her before, so…

Flash shook his head. “She passed away right after I was sworn into the Guard.”

A tinge of sympathetic sorrow surged through Twilight’s heart. In spite of herself, she laid her forehoof on top of his. “I’m so sorry, Flash.”

Flash didn’t remove his forehoof. A weak chuckle escaped his lips. “Her name was Bright Breeze. She was a weatherpony in Cloudsdale. Made things a bit difficult, Sentinel and I living here in Canterlot and she working there. There was a tornado that got a bit out of control. A few of her co-workers were trapped in it. She was able to save them, but the tornado swallowed her, then spat her with more than a thousand wingpower behind it towards the ground.”

Twilight wasn’t sure what pained her more. The way Flash spoke so matter-of-factly about his mother’s death—his voice low, defeated, and steady—or that he referred to his father by his name. She chose not to pry more, and merely squeezed his forehoof in support.

Flash removed his forehoof from her grip, but only to push the helmet away from him. “She would have been a fine Royal Guard, had she been born a stallion. And if I had been born a mare, I would have been a weatherpony instead.”

“Would you have preferred that?”

“At one point in my life, I would have said yes. But now… I am not so sure.”

When Flash smiled, she knew it was for her.

All felt right then, even when everything was wrong.

Twilight sparked her horn, then levitated Flash’s helmet onto her own head. It was larger than she expected, though her thick mane helped fill it. “If I had been a stallion, I would have been a Royal Guard, too. I was going to be a librarian until Princess Celestia took me as her student. Well, I guess I was, but then…” She closed her wings. “You know.”

Flash nodded. “Which would you have preferred?”

Twilight tapped her chin. “Honestly? These past few months, I would have preferred being a stallion. At least they can’t become Princesses!”

“Well,” Flash said, using a forehoof to straighten the bristles on his—her—helmet, “I have to say, Twilight, that I am glad you were born a mare.”

They shared a laugh.

When they settled down, Twilight removed Flash’s helmet and passed it back to him. “Huh. Not as heavy as I thought.”

“It’s heavier in other ways,” he said, placing it back on his head.

“So it is,” she replied quietly.

As Flash secured the chin strap on his helmet, Twilight rose to her hooves and looked up one last time. The aurora was as brilliant as ever.

“Hey… Flash?”

Rising to his hooves, Flash shook some snow from his tail. “Yes, Twilight?”

She lowered her voice to a whisper again. “When you said that you shouldn’t have brought me here, did you mean that?”

He faced her, her Royal Guard and she his Princess, and answered as a pony.

“No, I didn’t. I said that because… because I don’t want to ruin what we have. Whatever… it may be.

“I’m glad I brought you here.”

For the second time in two days, Twilight hugged him, her forehooves around his neck, and his around hers.

“Good. I’m glad I came.”

She resisted the urge to kiss him—cheek, lips, forehead, wherever, whenever—and could tell he had to as well as they pulled apart.

“So!” Twilight stretched her wings. “I was thinking of heading back to the library tomorrow, even though it’s Sunday. See if I can find any more books with Starswirl’s symbol in them. Maybe I can invite Apt and Precise Jot for lunch to compensate for making them open the library doors for us. A-and Quartz too, if he’s available. Does that sound good?”

With that grin of his, Flash replied, “That sounds great to me, Twilight. I would be glad to help.”

Then it’s a date!

O-or a friend thing! Yes! Friends…

For…

Now.

Twilight Sparkle, afraid of saying or doing something she might regret—regret then, or forever, or sometime in between—merely nodded, and let Flash Sentry lead her home.

Along the way, Twilight swore she saw a pair of red eyes watching from a distant peak in the Crystal Mountains. Such a thing must have been a trick of her imagination. The night was long, and many more important things were on her mind.

Back in her room, Starswirl’s book awaited her, along with all of her questions, and the kiss she had denied them both.

Author's Note:

It's been stated in the comments a while back, but I feel the need to mention it here since the Empire's stadium was mentioned. This story takes place shortly after the S4 opener, so no Equestria Games, Tirek, etc. will be included.

I was listening to this while writing most of the "under the aurora" scene. Not exactly fitting to a T, but I thought the song went with it in some ways, atmosphere included.

Hope you guys enjoyed this pair of chapters! The next update will be another dual posting, so I'll update in two weeks' time for that. No spoilers, but there'll be even more of a shift after this next update. Thanks to everyone who's still along for the ride!