• Published 29th Dec 2013
  • 10,365 Views, 1,610 Comments

What Hath Joined Together - Bad_Seed_72



Sequel to "The Order". Despite receiving a harsh reprimand from Captain Ironhoof, Flash Sentry still struggles with his feelings for Twilight. When he is assigned to escort her to the Crystal Empire, tensions on all sides escalate.

  • ...
99
 1,610
 10,365

Friends In Low Places

Friends In Low Places

Flash Sentry sought to return to the sanctity of his room as soon as possible. He didn’t want to take any more chances. Nodding in acknowledgment as he passed by several Royal Guards, he let his mind wander.

It’s not like I can tell Ironhoof that I want to be assigned to something other than guarding Royal Court, especially when Princess Celestia herself insists upon it. Then again, I have been stationed at Royal Court quite frequently. Perhaps there’s some way I can get Ironhoof to reconsider?

Reaching the bottom of the stairs, Flash turned down another hallway and made a beeline towards his room. While he stared straight ahead at nothing in particular, another voice within his mind shot back, If you really didn’t want to be posted there, you would do something egregious to get yourself reassigned, now, wouldn’t you? But you won’t, the voice accused, because a part of you is still foalish enough to bel—

“Flash! There you are!”

Snapping back into reality, Flash shook his head. His hooves came to a sudden halt. “Huh? Wha—”

Steel Wind and Sharp Spear approached him with eager grins on their muzzles. Both were clad in their golden armor, helmet and all, indistinguishable from each other.

Flash clicked his tongue and said with a bit of a huff, “Steel! What the hay was that for?”

“Was what for?” Steel asked, trotting up to him.

“You almost gave me a heart attack!”

“Heart attack?” Sharp Spear whooped and smacked his belly. “You hear that, Steel Wind? You almost gave our friend a scare here with your whiny little whinny of a voice!”

With a glare, Steel Wind threw up his forehooves and snapped back, “At least I could guard a damn tea party without screwing up!”

“Um…” Shifting on his hooves, Flash asked, “What about a tea party?”

Steel Wind turned back to Flash. “You remember that tea party in Ponyville with Princess Cadence? The one that took place the day before yesterday?” At Flash’s nod, he continued, “Oh, well, you see, this genius over here managed to even buck that up, just like I said he would!”

Sharp Spear groaned and face-hoofed. “It wasn’t that big of a deal!”

“You were outsmarted by a bunny rabbit!” Steel countered.

“Hey!” Spear pointed a forehoof at his companion. “That was no ordinary bunny rabbit! That was a beast from the depths of Tartarus itself!”

His patience growing thin, Flash stomped his forehooves on the floor, jerking them both to attention. “Ugh! Can you two go bicker somewhere else?”

Covering his muzzle as he coughed, Sharp Spear looked away and muttered, “Sorry, Flash.”

“Sorry,” Steel Wind added, lowering his gaze and his wings.

Seeing the hurt in Steel’s eyes, Flash sighed and shook his head. “I’m sorry, you two. I’m just a bit… stressed, that’s all.”

“Stressed?” Steel raised an eyebrow. “About what?”

“Yeah! We heard that you got the day off! Lucky bastard…” Spear shook his head and muttered that last bit under his breath, although Flash heard him anyway.

Ignoring this, Flash started towards his room again. “Yeah, I did.” While the two stallions followed him, he added with an insistent tone, “And I was thinking about spending it alone.”

“Alone?” The two exchanged puzzled glances. “Did you even have breakfast yet?” Steel asked.

“I’ll be fine,” Flash deflected. Turning another corner, he quickened his pace a bit. His room was coming into view at the end of the hall; he could practically taste his freedom, and it tasted like a nice, long nap and maybe a book to read. Maybe a bite or two from the Great Hall if he bothered enough.

“You sure there isn’t something wrong?” Catching up to him, Spear poked Flash’s shoulder. “C’mon, buddy. You’ve been acting a bit strange for the past couple months.”

Steel nodded, joining his counterpart on Flash’s other side. “Yeah, ever since—”

“Ah, there you are, sire.”

Greyhoof’s merry greeting cut Steel Wind’s speculation short, to Flash’s delight. The servant was standing beside his master’s door with a slight grin on his muzzle. “I was beginning to get a little worried, sire.”

“No need to worry, Greyhoof.” A smile spread across Flash’s stern muzzle. “Everything is fine.”

Steel and Spear exchanged confused glances once more. Both shrugged.

Before either could inquire further, Greyhoof spoke up again. “Good to hear, sire. Breakfast is waiting for you on your nightstand. Don’t worry—I got the oats for you just the way you like them,” he added with a wink and chuckle.

Flash managed to laugh with him. “Thanks, Greyhoof. I think I’ll be alright until dinner, but I’ll get that myself.”

“As you wish, sire.” Greyhoof bowed to Flash again, then looked up at the two stallions beside the door as he rose.

“Uh, hey, um, Greyhoof,” Steel said, plastering a grin.

Spear coughed as a fake smile of his own appeared. “Um, yeah. Hey there, buddy.”

Holding his snout in the air, Greyhoof cleared his throat. “Hello, Sir Steel Wind. Sir Sharp Spear. Please, excuse me, sirs.”

With that, Greyhoof slowly took to his hooves, snaking in between the stallions and making his way down the hall.

Steel nudged Sharp in the ribs and twirled a forehoof in a circle near his head, then crossed his eyes and stuck out his tongue. A burst of laughter followed.

His forehoof still on the doorknob, Flash Sentry silenced them with a sharp, steely glare.

“Sorry, Flash,” the two said in unison, lowering their eyes.

“Be nice to him,” Flash spat, trotting into his room. “Just because you two don’t treat your servants nicely, doesn’t give you the right to treat mine the same way.” And he’s more of a friend than you two, anyway.

Accustomed to hearing this little lecture, both Steel Wind and Sharp Spear nodded stiffly, saying nothing as they followed Flash Sentry into his room. Steel whistled. “Dang. Must be nice having a room of your own, eh, Flash?”

“Anything would be better than having to share a cramped little crevice with you,” Sharp jabbed, grinning.

Steel blew a raspberry back at him.

Sitting down on the bed, Flash lifted the breakfast tray onto his lap. Hot oats with cinnamon and sugar along with a glass of orange juice awaited him. For a moment, he ignored the arguing stallions and sighed contentedly. Greyhoof wasn’t kidding. This is perfect.

The clash of jabbing hooves and bitter words pulled Flash from his sweet oats. “And that’s what you said the last time you left the—”

Flash growled, narrowing his eyes as he looked up to his quarreling friends. “C’mon, guys! Don’t you have something better to do? I’d like to eat my breakfast in peace, you know,” he said pointedly, picking up his spoon.

Sheepishly, the stallions ceased their argument and stood calmly before him, folding their flared wings and shuffling their hooves. “Right, sorry,” Steel said. “Anyway, we actually had something for you.” Sharp nodded in agreement.

Raising a skeptical eyebrow, Flash took a bite of his cereal and nodded, gesturing for him to continue.

“Well…” Steel Wind took a seat beside Flash Sentry on the bed and crossed his forehooves over his lap. Sharp Spear joined them, sitting next to Steel.

Flash wiped his mouth with a fetlock. “A well is—”

Steel lifted a forehoof. “Yeah, yeah, that old joke. Give me a second.”

Sharp tilted his head as he looked over at Flash’s closet. “Hey, Flash…”

Flash chewed another spoonful. “Yes?”

“Is that your spear?”

Oh, dammit.

Close to having an (actual) heart attack—or, at the very least, an aggressive panic attack—at not only dealing with Captain Ironhoof, but Princess Celestia this morning, Flash Sentry had completely forgotten about the broken spear in his distress.

Now that the storm appeared to have passed, at least for now, he realized that yet another reprimand awaited him if Captain Ironhoof knew that he had destroyed his weapon. The tussle with Orion couldn’t justify the shattered steel—Ironhoof had seen him after Royal Court with it intact.

Swallowing his bite of oats particularly hard, Flash Sentry put the tray aside on his nightstand and began to sweat. Buying himself a little more time while he chewed the mouthful thoroughly, Flash began to mentally roll through a litany of excuses.

I saw a Changeling and threw the spear at it? No, that’s stupid! Ironhoof and everypony else would’ve known about that. I thought I saw a ghost? No… ghosts don’t exist! I had a nightmare? Still wouldn’t explain how I managed to break the damn thing.

“Dear Celestia… That is your spear!” Jumping to his hooves, Steel Wind spun around, his eyes darting hopelessly from the halved spear, to the silent stallion, and back again. “How the buck did that happen, Flash?”

“Er, well…” Flash rubbed a forehoof against his chest and coughed. “Um, well, I saw, you see, uh—”

“Wait. Wait, waitwaitwait.” Sharp Spear walked over, picked up the broken halves of the spear, and inspected them. “It’s… broken. Completely broken. You broke a steel spear!”

Now it was Flash’s turn to step down, bracing his hooves against the floor to counteract his nervousness. “Guys, I—”

Steel Wind circled around the broken weapon. “I’ve never seen a broken spear before! Well, minus after the incident with the Princesses getting kidnapped by those tentacle-things…” He shuddered. “Lieutenant Shooting Star wasn’t very happy after Ironhoof blamed him for it, and he just kinda—”

Threw it,” Spear finished, hovering down to examine the chip in the wardrobe and the wall of the closet.

A thick silence passed over them as both stallions turned to Flash Sentry, whose mane was beginning to mat with sweat, whose eyes found every nook and cranny of his room, whose heart felt like it was going to leap out of his chest yet again.

The Universe seemed pretty determined to keel him over today, one way or another.

Finally, Flash sputtered out the weakest excuse he could muster—no excuse at all. “I… I don’t really know what happened, but… but it’s broken.”

“Don’t know what… happened?” Coming down to his hooves, Sharp Spear tilted his head far enough to almost rest on his shoulder.

Flash shook his head. “No.” Biting his lip, he repeated his refrain. “I don’t know what happened.”

Shrugging as he looked at Spear, who threw up his forehooves in uncertainty, Steel Wind brought a forehoof to his muzzle and groaned. “Alright. It looks like you needed this a lot more than we thought. Right, Spear?”

“Right, Steel,” Spear said, joining his friend’s side. “But first, let’s head down to the armory and get you a replacement spear! Before Ironhoof sees,” he added, lowering his voice down to a whisper and darting his eyes around the room.

Holding up both forehooves, Flash tilted his head as he objected, “Whoa, whoa, whoa. What’s this that I need?” Please, for the love of all things holy, don’t tell me that you two tried to set me up with somepony… again.

“Show him, Spear.”

“You got it, Steel.”

A sly, toothy grin on his muzzle, Sharp Spear reached under his helmet and withdrew a piece of paper. Unfolding it, he held it out for Flash Sentry to see.

Squinting, Flash read aloud, “’Thermals. New pegasi nightclub, Canterlot. Other races welcome. Doors open at seven P.M. First two drinks free.’”

Flash held his forehooves up again. “Oh, no,” he said, shaking his head. “No, guys. I’m sorry, but you’re just going to have to invite somepony else.” To be your third wheel, he thought, a bit of a teasing smirk curling across his muzzle.

“Aww, c’mon, Flash!” Spear whined, folding the flyer back up and tucking it beneath his helmet. “It’s been months since we’ve gone out and done something fun, just the three of us! Every time you go on leave or it’s the weekend, you either hole yourself up in your room or go flying! You need to get out and meet some ponies for a change!”

“Yeah!” Steel added, “It’s obvious something’s bugging you, buddy. Now, I’m not really sure how you broke this thing—”

Spear nodded. “Neither am I—”

“—But if you’re not going to tell us what happened or what’s bugging you, the least you could do is just go out and relax. Free drinks, Flash!” Rolling his eyes, Steel crossed his forehooves and shook his head. “If you refuse free drinks, there’s gotta be something wrong with you!”

Flash began to object, then bit his lip. Closing his eyes for a moment, he fell back inside his thoughts. I can’t keep this going forever. He steadied his hooves against the floorboard, forcing a wave of resolve to flow through him. I can’t mope around for much longer without somepony really taking notice.

Besides, I… I did it already, and I’m still here, and I’m still going to be here. Five years in the Royal Guard, and I still won’t be retiring for a long, long time. I have to keep going.

I have to get over this.

When he looked up, Steel Wind was waving a forehoof in the air, saying, “And there’s going to be music, and tons of pegasi from out of town, and probably even some hot mares, hot mares, Flash, and—”

“Alright, I’ll go.”

Steel Wind blinked, his jaw falling agape mid-sentence. He rounded on Flash. So did Sharp Spear, who was knocking a forehoof against his skull, near one of his ears. “Wh-what?!”

“I said, I’ll go,” Stepping in between his friends, Flash added, “You’re right. It has been a long while, and…” He swallowed. “And it’ll be good to get out of Canterlot Castle for a bit.”

In unison, both stallions high-hoofed each other and threw a forehoof around Flash’s shoulders, cackling in triumph. Painting the best smile he could conjure across his muzzle, Flash threw his forehooves around Steel Wind and Sharp Spear in return, forcing himself to join in the laughter.

When their laughter began to dissolve into gasping breaths, Steel Wind said as he shook Flash playfully, “Then it’s settled! We get you a new spear, you join us tonight at Thermals, and nopony’s the wiser! Sounds like a perfect plan to me!”

“You said it, Steel!” Sharp chimed in, staggering as he laughed.

Flash rubbed his nape. “Yeah. Perfect plan, heh, heh.”

If he had been a worse actor, Flash Sentry’s smile would’ve shattered like his spear. Nopony’s the wiser.

Let’s hope so.

~

After an uneventful day of Royal Court, Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, and Princess Twilight gathered in the Royal Dining Hall for supper. Similar to the Great Hall, the Royal Dining Hall teemed with servants, butlers and hoof-maidens alike. Several Royal Guards, both pegasi and unicorns, guarded the exterior and interior of the room.

Unlike the Great Hall, the Royal Dining Hall offered only one table, which was long enough to accommodate up to thirty diners total. The Royals used this room when diplomatic dinners were held, usually with ambassadors from the Griffon, Zebra, or Saddle Arabian kingdoms.

Tonight, only the three Princesses occupied seats at the head of the table. Prince Blueblood, as he was oft to do, was having his supper in his personal chambers.

“Thank you,” Twilight said to a butler, who was refilling her glass of wine. She sparked her horn and sipped at her drink, looking over to the other two alicorns, who were doing the same with theirs.

“You’re welcome, Your Highness,” the butler replied, bowing. “Is there anything else I can get for you?”

“Er, no. That’s alright.”

The butler smiled, then trotted off.

“How was your day off, Twilight?” Celestia asked, buttering a piece of bread with her magic.

“It was good!” Setting her wineglass down, Twilight perked up as she turned to her. “I spent some time in the Royal Canterlot Archives, reading some of Starswirl’s old spellbooks.”

“Oh?” Her interest piqued, Celestia smiled as she chewed. “Trying to learn anything in particular?”

Twilight shrugged. “Not necessarily. I am a bit curious as to how things were back in his days, though. Magic-wise,” she quickly added.

Princess Luna set down her forkful of salad and turned to Twilight. “Starswirl was a good friend of mine, along with being the most powerful sorcerer of his time. He was the mentor of Clover the Clever, you know.”

Twilight nodded. “Yes. Although… I haven’t found much about her in the Archives yet.”

“I’m sure you will find more if you keep searching, Twilight.” Grabbing another piece of bread, Celestia asked, “Is there anything in particular you would like to know about her? Clover was close to Luna and I, as was Princess Platinum.”

Before Twilight could answer, a hoof-maiden trotted up to the table with a pepper mill in her hooves. “Fresh pepper for your salad, Your Highness?”

“Oh. Um… sure,” Twilight said, nodding dumbly. She waited for the mare to season her salad, bow, and then rise at her cue before adding, “Thank you very much.”

“You’re welcome, Your Highness. Would Your Majesties like some as well?” the servant asked.

Both Luna and Celestia waved her off with a forehoof. “No, that’s quite alright, Thyme,” Celestia said with a smile.

Once Thyme had trotted away, Twilight looked over to Celestia again. “Nothing in particular, to be honest. I’m just… curious about them, is all.”

“Unfortunately, many of their writings have been lost,” Luna said, frowning. “There are few, if any, surviving texts from Equestria’s founders in the Archives, Twilight.”

“Hmm. That’s strange. Why is that?” Twilight asked, glancing at Celestia, who was busying herself with a third piece of bread.

Setting the knife and bread down, Celestia leaned her forehooves on the table. “Well… you see—”

Trailing off, Princess Celestia was interrupted by a deep, throaty laugh. The three alicorns turned to see a familiar face materialize at the hoof of the table.

“Oh, suppertime already? And you didn’t invite me?”

When they heard the laughter, all three Royal Guards patrolling the room jumped to attention, magic and hooves tight on their spears. The servants spun around as well, more startled than afraid. When Discord revealed his toothy grin, the vigilant guards groaned and put their spears down, shaking their heads. The servants shook their heads as well, quickly returning to their duties.

“Discord!” Twilight shook her head. “You’re going to scare somepony doing that one of these days. Badly!”

“Oh, come now, Twilight. Don’t be such a spoilsport.” Discord hovered over, tying a white cloth around his neck. Crossing his hindlegs, he took a seat at the table near Princess Celestia and inspected the selection.

“Salad, soup, bread, and wine? What is this? Suppertime for ants?” Scowling, Discord snapped his claws. In an instant, a large cake appeared before him, three layers high and covered in chocolate. “Much better!” Discord licked his lips and grinned towards the Princesses.

Luna brought a hoof to her lips, stifling a giggle. Twilight rolled her eyes, though she couldn’t help but grin. Celestia adjusted her mask to hide the scorn in her eyes, twisting it into an acknowledging smile. Though the scent of the freshly baked cosmic cake tempted her nostrils, she didn’t bother to ask for a piece.

Noticing their silence, Discord grinned and shoved about half a layer of the cake into his mouth. “Now, now, mumf, ladies,” he mumbled around his full cheeks, “please, do, mmmf, carry on.”

Celestia focused back on Twilight after regaining her composure. “Unfortunately, Twilight, many of the letters, diaries, and other writings from Equestria’s founders have long been lost.” She paused, eying Discord from her peripherals as he shoved another enormous section of cake down his throat.

Twilight tapped her chin in thought. “And nopony has any idea where they could have gone?”

Luna answered, “No, Twilight. I am sorry to say that Tia is right.”

“I see.” Twilight lifted a forkful of her salad to her lips. “Well, I’m sure I will find many other intriguing things in Starswirl’s old writings. I’m sure there just wasn’t one spell he left unfinished.”

“Starswirl?” Wolfing down his last layer of cake, Discord looked up and licked chocolate from his talon. “You do know that, no matter how much you study his writings, there’s something you will never learn, right?”

“No, Discord. What’s that?” Twilight asked.

Up in the air, Discord snapped his claws again. A long, scraggly beard covered his chocolate-coated muzzle, the very end of it dragging on the arms of his chair below. “How to grow a fantastic beard!” he exclaimed, tugging at his whiskers.

“Oh, Discord,” Twilight muttered with a groan, face-hoofing. Beside her, Luna started to snigger.

Curling his tail up against his beard, Discord began making circles in the air with his serpentine body. In a high-pitched, mocking voice, he declared, “Ho ho! Look at me, kiddies! I’m your ol’ Uncle Starswirl!”

Tightening the grip on her mask, Celestia stabbed a forkful of greens and dressing, then chomped it down. Luna brought both forehooves to her muzzle. Twilight, her mind drifting to rows and rows of dusty scrolls in the Archives, occupied herself with some more bread and wine.

“I may be over a thousand years old, but I’ll take you whippersnappers! Everyday, anytime!” Discord rose up out of his circle and threw his forelimbs open, then grabbed the sides of his billowing beard. “How do you think I got this beard? Not by skipping chores and neglecting my homework! So, get off my lawn and make me a sandwich!”

Pounding a forehoof on the table, Luna burst into full-blown laughter. Though she did her best to ignore him, Twilight couldn’t help but snicker a bit, shaking her head while she finished her drink.

“That’s enough, Discord,” Celestia said, her muzzle stern. “We are trying to have a serious dinner conversation here.”

Serious?” Rising up, Discord pulled his beard off and tossed it away, where it disappeared back into the void. “Fine, Celly. Let me just finish my cake, and then I’ll be on my way.”

“You’ve already finished your cake,” Celestia pointed out.

As he sat down, Discord admitted, “Maybe, but I haven’t finished my plate.” Casually, he picked up his plate in his lion paw and brought it to his mouth, crunching merrily on the ceramic.

Sighing, Princess Celestia pushed her plate away, full of more than just supper. “Twilight, Lulu, there is one matter I would like to discuss before I head back to my chambers for the evening.”

“And what is that, sister?” Luna asked, trying her best to hold back another steady stream of giggles at Discord’s antics. She turned around to find Celestia looking down the bridge of her snout at her, her gentle eyes slightly narrowed. Nodding, Luna straightened herself in her seat and glanced at Twilight.

Twilight set her fork down and looked again to the two sisters while Discord crunched away at his plate. “What is it, Celestia?”

“Tomorrow afternoon will mark forty-eight hours since Orion has been arrested,” Celestia explained, her focus solely on Luna and Twilight. “We will need to convene a special session of Royal Court to bring charges against him.” Draping a wing over her student’s shoulder, she asked, “Are you ready for this, Twilight?”

Although she had finished eating, Twilight swallowed. “Yes. I will be ready tomorrow at noon.”

Luna, too, curled a wing around her. “It will be alright, Twilight Sparkle. Tia and I will be there, along with Captain Ironhoof and several other guards. There is nothing to fear.”

Discord picked at his tooth with a shard of the plate, rolling his eyes.

“Thank you both.” Twilight smiled as she brushed her wings against theirs. “I know everything will be alright. I’m just… nervous, I guess.”

Discord blew a raspberry, shifting all attention back to him once more. “Nervous? Ha!” Swallowing the shard he had used as a toothpick, he rose back up into the air, flapping his tiny wings. “The Twilight Sparkle, one of the—” he retched—”Elements of Harmony, is afraid of one little hearing?”

Rising to her hooves, Celestia glared up at the draconequus, her ears flattened. “Discord!”

“What? What?” Resting his paw on his chest, Discord said, “I’m just pointing out that she has nothing to worry about, that’s all.”

Celestia narrowed her eyes, almost squinting at him.

“I know I don’t.” Twilight met Discord’s gaze. “Thank you, Discord, for reminding me that I shouldn’t worry.”

Discord tapped his chin. “Hmm… I’m not quite sure if you’ve mastered the art of sarcasm yet.”

“Discord,” Celestia said again, a hint of warning in her voice.

With a sigh, Discord contorted himself into a half-circle, then brought his claw and paw to his eyes. As easily as he would’ve picked a scab, he brought his eyes out from their sockets, then lifted them up in his grasp, forming a disturbing smile in the air. “You can do it, Twilight!” he cheered, using the same “Uncle Starswirl” voice.

Luna began to chortle, Twilight joining her, more out of bewilderment than amusement. Celestia fumed, hot anger starting to well beneath her mask.

A master of disguise himself, Discord saw beneath Celestia’s visage. Rather than uncurling himself or placing his eyes back in his skull, he merely winked at her.

Pushing her chair back in with her magic, Princess Celestia stepped away from the table, waiting until Twilight and Luna had calmed before she addressed them. “If everything is settled, I’ll be turning in for the night. Please excuse me, Luna, Twilight.”

“Oh!” Twilight walked over to her. “Of course, Celestia. I hope you sleep well. And,” she added, giving her a reassuring smile, “I’ll be ready for tomorrow.”

Celestia replied with a warm smile, “I know you will be, Twilight. And I will be right there with you.”

“And I as well,” Luna said, putting a forehoof on Twilight’s shoulder. She cast a curious glance towards her sister. “Turning in already, Tia?”

“It’s been a long day, Lulu.” Celestia returned the curious gaze with a furrow of her brow and a flare of her nostrils.

Luna nodded. “I see. Well then…” Removing her forehoof from Twilight’s shoulder, she smiled at Celestia. “Goodnight, my sister. I shall begin my night watch.”

Discord, who’d been pointedly ignored for the past several minutes, huffed and brought his talon and paw to his hips. “No goodnight for me?”

When nopony answered him, Discord sighed like a furnace, then clapped. In a blink of an eye, he disappeared as suddenly as he had arrived.

Twilight chuckled. “Looks like Discord got bored.”

“He’s always bored.” Celestia then gave one last smile to her sister, her student, and the help in the room. “Goodnight, everypony!”

“Goodnight, Your Highness!” all the guards and servants within the room called out, bowing.

Celestia exited the Royal Dining Hall, making haste towards her quarters.

Princess Luna gestured for one of the Royal Guards, Blazing Radiance, to come forth. “Blazing Radiance, I require your assistance in guarding the night.”

The white pegasus stallion trotted up to the night princess, his head bowed low. “Yes, Your Highness. I am ready, Princess.”

Twilight watched intensely. Though she’d seen this ritual several times before, it never ceased to astound her. She vaguely knew the magical workings behind it, but intended to study them further.

Once Blazing Radiance met her gaze, Princess Luna charged up her horn, enveloping the stallion in a shroud of purple magic. Radiance grunted out of slight discomfort, closing his eyes as the powerful magic began to course through him. Twilight backed away, shielding herself from the bright light. Luna kept her horn steady, completing the spell to its end.

When she finally released her magical grip on the guard, a completely new pony stood before Princess Luna.

Gray, a few inches taller, thicker in the barrel, and sporting a pair of leathery black wings, Radiance opened his eyes. His whites were now yellow, his pupils slits, and, when he smiled, a pair of fangs replaced the mediocre molars Nature had granted him.

Princess Luna nodded to her batpony guard. “Meet me on the highest tower, Radiance. I will join you shortly.”

Once Radiance had bowed, was acknowledged, and left the hall, Twilight turned to Luna, laughing. “No matter how many times I see that, Luna, it still amazes me.”

Luna nudged her in the side. “Someday, I’ll show you how I do it, Twilight.”

“I would love to learn!”

Luna chuckled. “Now, before I go…” Leaning in close so nopony would hear, Luna’s expression hardened to a frown. “Are you sure there is nothing bothering you about yesterday? I understand if you may not want to admit it to Tia, but you can tell me, Twilight. Things can stay between us.”

“Oh, well…” Twilight looked around the Royal Dining Hall. No draconequus held a claw up to his ear to hear them, nor did any of the servants or remaining guards seemed to be eavesdropping.

Nevertheless, Twilight shook her head. “Everything is fine, Luna.

“I’m positive.”

~

After obtaining a new spear from the armory and stashing it in his room, Flash gave the broken halves of the old weapon to Sharp Spear, who said he’d dispose of it properly. Both Spear and Steel swore that they wouldn’t speak a word of it to Ironhoof, and the guard who let them into the armory—a fresh-faced, first-year stallion—didn’t seem to have noticed.

Once that had been resolved, Flash took a long nap. Feeling refreshed afterwards, he proceeded to do some calisthenics and flying exercises for the day. Self-discipline and care of one’s body had been drilled into him by stern instructors during both flight camp and the Guard Academy. Even on his day off, he did his best to stay productive.

Outside, the sun was shining, bold and bright, not a cloud in the sky. Although it was only early spring, the Grand Galloping Gala looming on the horizon, there was no rain to be had today. Flash decided to take advantage of this and moved on to more advanced flying exercises above Canterlot Castle, burning as much time as he could.

When he flew, Flash Sentry was devoid of thought, of worry. With the thermals guiding him high above the castle’s tallest towers, the light breeze tickling his primaries, and the rush of wind through his mane, there were no dilemmas, and no potential consequences for them.

Even so, as the sun began to lower its position in the sky and dip towards the void, Flash Sentry knew he couldn’t fly away from his thoughts forever.

It had been almost three months since he’d truly left Canterlot Castle. He jumped at almost any opportunity for extra work on the weekends. He occasionally palled around with Sharp Spear or Steel Wind, or spent time with Greyhoof. Mostly, though, he read his books or drowned in his dreams, trying to cure himself of this thick, aching sickness of the heart and soul.

He knew he couldn’t do this forever.

When his wings began to tire, Flash landed on the soft, lush grass surrounding Canterlot Castle. Looking up at the impending sunset, he knew what he had to do.

Almost time. Better get ready, he thought with a sigh.

~

“So… where exactly are you going, sire?”

Running a brush through his mane, Flash Sentry turned from his reflection to Greyhoof. “Some new pegasi bar in Canterlot called Thermals. Steel and Spear want me to go.”

Greyhoof grimaced at the mention of those stallions. “I see. Well, do you want to go, sire?”

Flash shrugged. “Not really, but… It’s not like I have a choice.”

“How so?”

Putting the brush back in its place, Flash stretched a wing to preen. “Well, you see,” he began, pushing a feather into place with his teeth, “Steel and Spear have definitely noticed the change in me by now. I can’t exactly keep brushing them off. And besides… I… uh, kinda owe them a favor.”

Greyhoof walked over, a hitch in his step. He reached in the closet and grabbed Flash’s new spear, which required both of his forehooves to steady. “You mean this, sire?”

“Er, yeah.” Stretching his other wing, Flash explained, “They took me to the armory to get a new spear, and took the other one for disposal.”

“And you trust that they won’t tell the Captain?”

“I don’t see a reason for them to betray my trust, Greyhoof.” Satisfied with the state of his wings, Flash offered his friend a slight smile. “They may be morons at times, but they aren’t backstabbers. They have no reason to betray me or go to Ironhoof.”

Greyhoof bowed. “As you wish. Though,” he added, “I would caution you to be careful, Flash. After all… not everypony is as accepting of certain things, dear boy. Or as trustworthy.”

“I know.” But I’m going to have to gamble with this one. Not going to go too far, just… I can trust them to keep this little incident a secret. Probably not much else.

“Hmm.” Giving him a once-over, Greyhoof walked around Flash, his forehoof on his chin. “So… Are you really going to try to meet anypony, Sir Flash Sentry, or are you just going along for the ride?”

Flash raised an eyebrow. “Why do you ask?”

“Well, if you’re going to try to meet any mares tonight, I suggest wearing something better than that, sire,” Greyhoof said with a smirk. “Though, please forgive my tone.”

Flash dismissed him with a forehoof. “Don’t worry about it. But…” Lifting his hooves to check his horseshoes, shaking his mane to glance it over, and sweeping his eyes over his coat, he turned back to him with a skewed eyebrow. “I’m not sure what you’re talking about.”

“What you’re wearing, sire.”

“I’m not wearing anything.

“Precisely!” Brushing past him, Greyhoof leaned up on his hindhooves to search through the knight’s wardrobe. “Clothes make the stallion, sire. Or, at least… mares at seedy bars think so.”

Flash cringed. “Look, Greyhoof—”

“Ah, this should work.” Greyhoof turned around, a Royal Guard dress uniform—pressed, velvet, and blue with gold buttons—in his forehooves. “Please stand still, Flash, and I’ll help you into this.”

“N-no, that won’t be necessary,” Flash said, taking a step back.


“Oh?” Greyhoof continued to approach him. “Come now, Flash,” he said, his tone growing more stern, “if you want to do this, you’ll need to dress the part. Now, let me help you, please.”

Flash’s hindhooves reached the bed. “N-no, Greyhoof. I don’t want to.”

Greyhoof paused. “Don’t want to what?”

“I…” Shaking his head, Flash brought a forehoof up to his cheek and rubbed his face. “I don’t want to meet anypony, okay? I’m honestly not going for that reason. I just want to get those guys off my back, alright?”

Greyhoof sighed, lowering the clothes in his forehooves. “I thought so.” He turned back around and returned the uniform to the wardrobe while Flash absentmindedly brushed his mane—messed it, really—with a forehoof.

Once he’d finished, the servant returned to his master. “Flash, I’ll be honest. While I am not exactly… keen on your friends,” Greyhoof began, “I think it might be a good idea for you to get some fresh air. Cut loose. Have a drink or two.” A wry smile spread across his muzzle. “Maybe even dance with a pretty mare.”

Chuckling, Flash rubbed his neck. “Ah, well—”

“But, in spite of everything, I think you should be true to yourself, dear boy. You have more courage than you will admit, and there is nothing more tragic than when somepony brushes that courage aside and chooses to be something they’re not.”

In the silence that followed, Flash Sentry met Greyhoof’s eyes, and saw even more clearly the exhaustion in them.

Greyhoof remarked, “I think you look just fine tonight, Flash. Just like yourself.”

“Thank you, Greyhoof,” Flash said, smiling. “I appreciate it.”

“Did you get enough to eat at dinner?”

Flash nodded.

“Well then…” Grinning still, Greyhoof headed towards the door. “If you need anything later, you know where to find me, sire.”

Flash thanked him again, then added as Greyhoof began to leave, “I’ll tell you all about it in the morning.”

“Do me a favor and stay out of trouble,” Greyhoof replied, more joking than stern. “You never know when the stars will run out, Sir Flash Sentry.”

With a wink and the quiet turn of a doorknob, Greyhoof was gone.

Left alone, Flash looked at himself in the mirror. Unlike the morose visage that greeted him nearly every morning, this version of Flash Sentry appeared confident, well-groomed, and content. His wild blue mane had been tamed the best that he could. No tear stains marred his shining, tangerine fur. Though he lacked the armor of his forefathers, he appeared to be a pegasus in his prime nonetheless—twenty-three and without a sin to his name.

Self-denial, of course, was not a sin. In some ways, it was holy.

A set of hooves knocked at his door. “Flash? Hey, buddy, it’s us! You ready to go out on the town?” Steel Wind asked, his voice muffled by the oak.

Flash grinned at his reflection. You ready?

When it grinned back, that’s when he saw it.

The mask.

As I’ll ever be.

“Coming, Steel.”

~

Canterlot, while technically the unicorn capital of Equestria, had no laws prohibiting Earth ponies or pegasi from living within its city limits. Nor was any caste banned from putting up stakes in business or new residence inside the capital. Nevertheless, some subscribed to a more harsh ideology than others, and what was not explicitly prohibited in law may still have been treated with disdain in tradition.

When Flash Sentry, Steel Wind, and Sharp Spear glided to a smooth landing within the heart of Canterlot, stopping just before the doors of Thermals, not one unicorn or Earth pony was seen nearby. Pegasi of all shapes, sizes, colors, and genders instead were pouring into the clubs. Thermals seemed to hypnotize and beckon its guests within, the ebb of bass and treble coupled with multicolored strobelights a beacon many could not ignore.

“Well, here we are!” After running a forehoof through his silver-gray mane, Steel Wind adjusted the collar on his dress blues and smirked. “You ready to head in, Flash?”

“I guess so,” Flash said, looking around. “Sure are a lot of pegasi heading into this place.” Doesn’t seem to be much of anypony else, though. What a surprise.

Sharp Spear laughed and ran a comb through his black mane while he buttoned his matching uniform. “‘Course, bud! What did you expect? It’s called Thermals! Not Runes or Crops!”

Steel Wind joined him in a round of chortles. The two stallions were identical but for the color of their manes—mirroring each other in a few ways deeper than skin.

Face-hoofing, Flash shook his head and started towards the club. “That’s not funny, guys. Now, c’mon.” Let’s get a beer and get this over with.

Exchanging shrugs, Spear and Steel followed Flash Sentry into Thermals. The bouncer at the door—a large, white pegasus stallion with tiny wings—merely nodded as they passed, making no motion to stop them.

Inside, Thermals was painted from wall to ceiling with beautiful shades of the sky. A sunset decorated one wall, a winter’s dawn on another. Clouds of every shape and layer dotted the ceiling against a backdrop of pure, cyan blue. A small group of tables, couches, stools, and chairs were arranged on the floor, all draped in red velvet. Flash noticed that, but for a few relaxing pegasi and two lone unicorn stallions, all of these seats were empty. Most of the clubs’ patrons were hovering in the air or flying around, drinks gripped in their forehooves or settled in their bellies.

Two separate bars ran along the sides of the club. At the front, a large stage hosted a pegasi band. One mare was crooning a mournful, yet beautiful tune, while three stallions accompanied her on the drums, guitar, and piano. Flash’s eyes widened at this, noting that all three stallions used their wingtips along with their forehooves to play. Never seen something like that before. Then again, I don’t get out enough.

“Whoa! Check it out!” Steel whistled and hovered into the air. With a forehoof to his eyes, he squinted through the haze of flashing lights and clamoring pegasi. “Plenty of beautiful mares around! Looks like we hit the jackpot tonight!”

Spear gasped. “Really?!” Jumping up, he joined Steel and wolf-whistled, long and low. “Hey, he’s right! C’mon, Flash! I’ll be your wing-pony!” He shot Flash a wink and grinned, nodding his head towards a gaggle of mares hovering near the middle of the club.

Flash cracked a grin and dismissed them with a forehoof. “I’m gonna get one of those free drinks. You two fly on without me. I’ll catch up to you later.”

The two shared another glance and a shrug before Spear conceded, “Alright, Flash. Suit yourself. Grab me a vodka and cranberry if you head up, alright?”

Flash snorted. “Really, Spear?”

Steel guffawed and smacked Spear on the back. “That’s a mare’s drink!”

“And the quickest way to a mare’s heart is through her stomach!” Spear protested.

“Oh, sure,” Steel mumbled, rolling his eyes. “Her heart. That’s what you’re—”

Retching, Flash Sentry hurried away from the bickering stallions, feeling his dinner begin to churn in his stomach. Ugh! Can’t those two go without five seconds without fighting or being vulgar?

Then again, what does it say about me if I have them for friends?

Shaking Steel’s words out of his ears, Flash wove his way past a crowd of incoming patrons, dodging wings and muzzles blocking his way. Parting through the sea of pony flesh, he reached his sanctuary on the other side of the club.

As he pulled up a barstool, Flash was greeted by a tall, brown pegasus stallion with a map of scars winding across his muzzle and neck. “What can I get for you, buddy?”

Detecting a hint of an accent in his voice, Flash paused a moment before replying, “Just a beer.”

“Beer?” The stallion scoffed. “We’ve got nearly twenty types of beer.”

“I don’t know, just… Just whatever’s your favorite.” Flash shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

The bartender sighed. “You want it to be one of your free ones?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Give me your left forehoof, then,” ordered the bartender.

Raising an eyebrow, Flash complied, though warily.

The bartender grabbed a stamp and pressed it against his fetlock, leaving a black number one right above his keratin. “Gimme a second, and I’ll get your beer,” he said, grabbing a glass and trotting away.

Flash rubbed at his fetlock, dismayed to see that the fresh ink wouldn’t smear. I hope this comes off. Hard to explain to Ironhoof or anypony else why I’ve got numbers on my hooves. He rubbed at the number more forcefully, gritting his voice. It remained there, bold and black and taunting.

“Don’t worry. It’ll come off in the shower,” a mare’s voice assured.

Whirling around in his seat, Flash nearly fell backwards when his eyes met the mare’s.

There, lacking her trademark uniform, was Spitfire, Co-Captain of the Wonderbolts. Before her sat a half-finished beer and her flying goggles. Her wildfire of a mane had been combed and straightened into a flickering flame behind her. Her red-orange eyes, a pair of fiery rubies, alighted on Flash Sentry, and he couldn’t help but blush.

She held up a forehoof, drawing no attention to his obvious discomfort. A black number two marred her left fetlock. Spitfire shrugged. “Only way these clubs can keep track of who’s had the free drinks and who’s lying. Can’t say I blame ‘em, though. Don’t worry.”

“Th-thanks.” Flash looked over to see the bartender return, a glass of dark-brown beer in his forehoof. Accepting the drink, he took a sip, then stuck out his tongue and retched. Waaaaay too bitter. Ugh. I feel like I’m drowning in hops.

Spitfire laughed. “Not a beer drinker?”

“Er…” Wiping his mouth with a forehoof, Flash grumbled, “Not that kind of beer.” He pushed his glass away, then rested his forehooves in his lap. “Thanks again for the tip about the stamp, by the way,” he said more confidently, mentally kicking himself.

First, a Princess, and now a Wonderbolt? C’mon, Flash! Get a grip on yourself. She probably has somepony anyway.

Almost on cue, a strong, built stallion trotted over. With his light-blue coat, dark-blue mane, and an apple pie on his back, Flash Sentry knew it could be none other than Soarin, the other Co-Captain of the Wonderbolts Flying Team.

“Hey, Spitfire! Who’s your new friend?” Soarin greeted, a cheerful grin on his muzzle. He pulled up a stool beside Spitfire, but not before setting his pie carefully on the counter.

“Oh, I don’t believe we’ve met yet.” Spitfire introduced herself and Soarin to Flash Sentry. “I’m Spitfire, and this is Soarin. I’ll shake hooves for him, because he’ll be pawing through that pie in about five seconds.”

Flash chuckled and shook forehooves with her, a light blush reddening his cheeks. “I’m Flash S-Sentry. Of the Royal Guard.”

“Royal Guard, eh?” Spitfire grinned as she withdrew her forehoof. Nudging Soarin in the side, she mused, “Looks like we have one of the law amongst us. Better behave, Soarin.”

Muzzle-deep into his pie, Soarin responded by slurping and licking his lips, muttering in greedy delight to himself while apples trickled down his chin.

Sharing a laugh with Spitfire, Flash allowed himself to relax slightly. “Oh no, no. I’m off-duty tonight. Barring any bar fights or something like that, you should be fine.”

“Well, good. I wouldn’t like to get thrown in the dungeons of Canterlot Castle,” Spitfire said as she took a drink of her beer.

“They aren’t exactly pleasant, no.”

“Ever worked down there?”

Flash shook his head. “No. I don’t envy the guards who do.” You lose a part of your sanity when you’re surrounded by all that gray, steel, and stone.

“Neither do I.” Setting her glass back down, Spitfire said, “Don’t tell anypony, but if I could’ve been a Royal Guard, I would’ve.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Well… One, you’re serving Equestria. Two, you get to live in Canterlot Castle. And three,” Spitfire explained, stretching her wings, “you get to wear awesome armor. Our flight suits aren’t exactly the most comfortable, especially when you’re stuffing your face every other day. Right, Soarin?”

“Mmmmf?” Soarin briefly looked up from his half-eaten pie, licked his lips, shrugged, and resumed his meal.

“Oh, is that so?” Flash challenged. “Well, armor isn’t a walk in the park, either. Maintaining it, polishing it, putting it on every morning at the crack of dawn. Fitting into the horseshoes. You get used to them after a while, to the point that you feel strange without them, but they’re still no walk in the park.”

“Hmm.” Spitfire leaned forward on the bar, holding up her chin with a forehoof. “But you have servants to help with that, don’t you?”

Flash nodded slowly. “Yes. Yes, we do.”

“Earth ponies?”

Flash nodded again.

Spitfire exhaled. “Hmm.” Finishing her beer, she pushed the glass away, then climbed down from the barstool. “I’m gonna go get some fresh air for a minute. Care to join me, Flash?”

Join a Wonderbolt? For fresh air?! “Er… sure!” Pushing away his glass, Flash clambered down to all four hooves and looked over to Soarin, who was currently licking his pie tin with a generous tongue. “Be right back, Soarin!”

“Mmmph-hmmph!”

~

Perched on a thick, fluffy cumulus cloud above Canterlot’s tallest towers, Flash Sentry and Spitfire glanced down at Thermals, noting how, even as the moon began to rise higher and higher in the night sky, more patrons were beginning to file in.

From this angle, Flash could see that the occasional wingless pony trotted in through the front doors. Somehow, that observation gave him a bit of warmth—something that his sober blood and the cold night denied him.

“Sorry. I just get a bit claustrophobic sometimes,” Spitfire explained, laughing a bit at her own expense. “I’m not really much into crowds, or fame itself, to be honest. Soarin eats that stuff up just as much as he does his apple pie, but I grin and bear it the best that I can. Still prefer the sky above anything else.”

Flash nodded. “Me too. I’d rather be flying than anywhere else. Canterlot, Cloudsdale, the Badlands… doesn’t matter.”

“Probably gets awful stuffy in a stone castle all day, eh?”

Flash shrugged. “Well… there are rough days.” Everyday. “But there are good days, too.” Good moments.

Flash paused, bringing his eyes to Luna’s canvas of night. The pure, blue-black brilliance of the atmosphere had been painted and textured with dots of stars, radiant against their backdrop. In the distance, Canterlot’s towers loomed, as foreboding and final as obelisks above all those below. Atop one of these towers, Flash swore he saw a large, winged pony perched like a gargoyle, its red eyes slicing through the night and staring back at him.

Shuddering, Flash looked back to Spitfire, who was eyeing him with interest. “S-sorry. Thought I saw somepony I knew.”

“That’s alright. Don’t worry about it.”

As he rubbed his nape, Flash looked away. “Er, thanks.”

“Say…” Lying down on her belly, Spitfire glanced up at Flash and smiled. “Are there any mares in your life?”

“Well, there is one that I—”

Quickly throwing his forehooves over his mouth, Flash felt his wings shoot to attention, crimson shooting across his muzzle. Did you really? Did you really just… to her?! You barely know her! You can’t even… what are you—

Whooooooa. Okay there, dude, calm down!” Spitfire rolled on to her back, laughing and kicking her hooves in the air. “I don’t need the details! It was just a question!”

Mentally smashing his head against a wall, Flash Sentry willed his shameful wings to close, prayed that his poisonous adrenaline would leave his telltale heart be. Hoping that the night would darken and disguise his muzzle, he shook his head and rubbed his forehooves together. “S-sorry. Actually…” He cleared his throat of its shame. “No, no, there isn’t.”

“Ah.” Spitfire rolled back onto her belly and stretched her forehooves. “That’s a shame.”

A shame?!

“You seem like a pretty nice stallion. Though, a bit awkward, I will admit,” Spitfire said with a yawn, resting her head on her crossed forehooves. “But…” Smiling up at him, she finished, “I hope you do find somepony to love.”

Blinking in disbelief, Flash felt himself nodding dumbly, independent of his will. “Thanks.” I think?

Spitfire spotted his bewildered expression and laughed into a forehoof. “Wasn’t what you were expecting when I asked that question, huh?”

“Er… To be honest, no,” he said sheepishly, resting his forehooves back down on the soft cloud.

“That’s what they all say,” Spitfire said, rubbing at her shoulder.

Flash turned to her. “‘They’?”

“Uh…” It was the mare’s turn to force a chuckle and rub her nape, a streak of scarlet darkening her yellow cheeks, making them a fire of their own. “Er, forget I said that. What I mean is…” Resting a forehoof on his shoulder—which seemed to shift the blush from her muzzle to his—Spitfire said, “You’re a nice stallion, Flash. Not my type, but… I hope you find somepony who is.”

And what if they aren’t?

“Though…” Spitfire lowered her forehoof and shifted her gaze to Canterlot Castle. “Sometimes, you have to wonder: what’s all the fuss about types of love anyway?”

His interest piqued, Flash’s ears pricked, and he shuffled to look over at the castle with her.

“I mean, don’t get me wrong,” Spitfire added, puffing her chest a little as her eyes traced the arches and towers of the Royal artifice, “I understand full well how the old ways were. Pegasi starving, the tribes fighting. Ponies dying. Eternal winters. I know full well what it is to be a pegasus… to be a warrior, even if I don’t wear any armor.”

She grinned slyly at Flash, who returned with a toothy smile of his own.

“But still…” Spitfire sighed and shook her head, glancing back at him. “You probably aren’t the right pony to be talking to about this. I’m sure you can read between the lines, though.”

You don’t know the half of it, Spitfire, he wanted to say. I, more than you could ever imagine, want the old ways to truly be old… But I have no celebrity and no standing, and if I was ever a lion, it was only for a day.

In that moment, they exchanged smiles of rebels in waiting, grins of those who chose to bide rather than strike. Flash Sentry felt the need to tell her everything. To tell somepony, anypony, truly everything, even the things he had yet to burden Greyhoof with (and never would), the things he didn’t even want to admit to himself.

His words crisp and clean, devoid of slur or stagger, he couldn’t blame it on anything but himself and his foalishness.

Instead, he simply nodded.

Spreading her wings, Spitfire stood up and scanned the skies. “Ready to go join our friends back in the low places?”

Letting the wind tease his primaries as he flared his wings, Flash nodded, agreeing in more ways than one.

~

Princess Luna looked at her canvas of stars, tracing a forehoof in her field of vision. Casting her spell, she concentrated, bringing a group of stars together to form another constellation—another addition to her nightly masterpiece.

Unlike the mare she had been over a thousand years ago, Luna knew now that ponies marveled at her night sky. Whether they were philosophers contemplating the majesty of existence, astronomers searching for a new star, or lovers relishing the silence of the gentle twilight, she was loved.

With every murmur of awe and wonder, every musing of mystery and magic, and every kiss shared beneath her blanket, Princess Luna felt their love, and knew her work would never be for naught. There would never again be a mare in the moon, nor jealousy and anger in her heart.

At least, not towards her sister.

Leaning her forehooves over the railing of the observatory, Princess Luna sighed, allowing the gentle breeze to tease her starry mane and pull her thoughts away.

Luna glanced over her shoulder. The light in her sister’s bedchambers was out, but the one in Twilight’s was still on. The gentle glow of a lamp peeked past the window and shone out into the night. A reading lamp.

Princess Luna shook her head.

Tomorrow would come both too quickly and not quick enough. Regardless of Twilight’s insistence, Princess Luna was prepared for a rough day for all three alicorns—most likely comforting the youngest among them. While she hadn’t witnessed Orion’s outburst herself, Celestia’s recollection of the event was enough to make her hackles rise.

Although she’d never been her student, and probably never would be, Luna was eternally grateful to Twilight for freeing and befriending her. She wouldn’t allow somepony to harm her that easily. No, not on her watch.

Still, a part of Luna reasoned, there was something a bit… strange about the whole thing. Something she couldn’t quite put her hoof on.

A rustle of movement drew her attention. Princess Luna illuminated her horn, casting light into her darkness. “Halt! Who goes there?”

“It is only I, Your Highness. Forgive me.”

Luna took a step back, watching as Blazing Radiance lowered himself to the platform of the observatory with his leathery wings. He bowed low, shaking his muzzle. “I did not mean to frighten you, Your Highness.”

“‘Tis fine, Radiance,” Luna said, smiling gently. “Forgive me. I am a bit… wary tonight.”

“Of what, Your Highness?” Radiance asked.

Luna leaned back against the railing and sighed once more. “Tomorrow, we are bringing the prisoner Orion to Royal Court to list the charges against him. Habeas corpus, as it was called in Old Equestrian. I am just concerned that doing so will distress Princess Twilight Sparkle.”

“I see, Your Highness.” Radiance trotted up to her and offered his Princess a soft smile. “If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.”

Luna smiled back at him. “Thank you, Radiance. You are too kind.”

“Not at all, Your Highness.” He bowed again.

“Although, if you could please give me a moment, Radiance. I would like to be alone for a few minutes.”

The batpony nodded. “Of course, Princess. Just let me know when and if I am needed.”

Keeping her eyes on her stars, the night alicorn waited until the sound of her guard’s leathery wings faded into the distance, letting him climb the thermals up, up, up, until she was alone.

Love. So many couples gathered under the stars for love, marveled and counted them, contemplated and named them.

Love. A feeling as old as time, felt in ways innumerable, immeasurable. As perennial as the grass and omnipresent as Polaris, Draco, and Cassiopeia with them.

Luna sighed. The hearing would be tomorrow. In a few weeks, the trial.

A cold wind blew in from the north, and it made her shiver.