• Published 29th Dec 2013
  • 10,375 Views, 1,610 Comments

What Hath Joined Together - Bad_Seed_72



Sequel to "The Order". Despite receiving a harsh reprimand from Captain Ironhoof, Flash Sentry still struggles with his feelings for Twilight. When he is assigned to escort her to the Crystal Empire, tensions on all sides escalate.

  • ...
99
 1,610
 10,375

What Lies Ahead

What Lies Ahead

Flash Sentry had grown accustomed to visiting the Crystal Empire’s library. He found himself missing not only the smell of books and the blur of words on paper, but the proprietors of that library as well.

The day after Twilight and Quartz’s confrontation, the former met the latter, along with Apt and Precise Jot, at Donut Joe’s again. Twilight’s apology was met with many in return. This time, there were no quarrels, just light chat and heavy boxes of doughnuts.

While Flash missed the routine of assisting Twilight with her studies, he was glad to exchange it for the relative sense of calm that overtook her. Other than her mentioning that she had decided to save the continued translation and study of Starswirl’s books for her return to Canterlot, Twilight had not explained the sudden halt to him.

Although curious, Flash took it in stride, especially when Twilight’s smile began to resurface far more often. He found that he was far more comfortable at her side after the night under the aurora—a feeling she seemed to share, if her steady speech and prolonged eye contact was any indication. They spoke no more of the undercurrent between them—at least, for now.

After all, Flash still had a promise to keep, and he had yet to officially break it.

With that in mind, Flash was grateful for his busy mornings and even busier afternoons and evenings. Over the following days, Flash juggled training sessions with the recruits with the various activities Cadence and Shining had planned.

A few weeks ago, Flash would have considered himself included in these outings only by proxy as Twilight’s assigned escort, but he was now tempted to say that the Prince and Princess actively invited him. Whether it was their shared meals, a walk through the Empire’s business district, or an excursion to the Crystal Empire’s Stadium—which was currently being renovated—Flash felt more welcome than he ever had been.

The end of their trip drew near a close. Without the distraction of ancient riddles or potentially dangerous debate, the days passed quickly. Along with them went the snow, which had slowed from a daily dusting to only an occasional sprinkle. By the time they would return to Canterlot, Flash had been told, rain would replace the snow until the arrival of spring in two months’ time.

Like the changing of the seasons, Flash knew that his return home would usher in a different dawn. A dawn that he wasn’t quite ready to face after discovering the majesty of the frozen north.

Despite his resistance, the day of their departure soon arrived.

~

That day, a pleasant Sunday morning, began as any other. Flash woke before dawn, showered, and dressed. With about an hour to spare before Twilight would wake, he packed his bags, taking care to ensure that the two copies of the photograph from the play were properly tucked away in his journal.

Still, he couldn’t help but grin as he looked down at the spare copy in his forehoof. I can’t wait to see the look on Greyhoof’s face when he sees this. I hope it makes him as happy as it did me.

When dawn broke, Flash left his room and knocked politely on the Princess’s door. Once Twilight had answered his knock and exchanged his good-morning, Flash accompanied her down to the Royal Dining Hall.

The two shared a final, hearty meal with Shining and Cadence. A meal fit for Galaxia herself, it was. Although it was technically breakfast time, the palace chefs had prepared a smorgasbord of gastric delights for the four. Everything from thick-cut Prench toast, to perfectly ripened fruits, to crisp and colorful salads, to creamy soups, and a myriad more awaited them on the table.

Gluttony be damned, Flash sampled as much as he could, fighting the urge to lick his forehooves in ecstasy. Sweet, savory, salty, earthy—all of it tangoed with his taste buds and sent warmth through his veins. Of all the sensations, however, the scent of Twilight’s favorite maple-drenched pancakes was one that Flash would miss the most. The days of oats, cinnamon, and sugar were a few hours and a sole train ride away.

More than the feasts, Flash would miss the ever-enduring kindness of his hosts. Beyond meals, the Prince and Princess had made him feel welcome throughout his stay, the Prince and his Silver Guard especially.

Truly, Flash thought as he finished the last bite of his royal breakfast, Shining and Cadence have treated me like a guest instead of just a guard.

I think that’s the first time I’ve been treated this way since… I can’t remember.

After breakfast, Cadence whisked Twilight away with the promise of a final rendezvous through the Empire before the train arrived at noon. Unlike previous private time between them, Twilight seemed eager to accompany her. Flash and Shining waved after them, until only the two stallions remained in the room.

Once the door closed, Flash pulled away from the table. “I’m ready, sir, if I am needed in the training camp this morning one last time.”

To Flash’s surprise, Shining replied, “Thank you for the offer, Flash, but no additional hooves are needed. Shooting Star and Argon are already taking care of it.”

Argon? “When did the Second Lieutenant arrive, sir?”

“Late last night, actually. Since this is the last day of basic training, Shooting Star woke them up a few hours before dawn. They should be halfway through the combat drills by now, and then a ten-mile march. If they survive those, and the obstacle course, I’m sure their commanding officers will allow them to break for lunch. Or, a very late breakfast,” Shining added with a smirk.

Laughing, Flash shook his head. Ah, the last day of basic training. Always a blast. “I see, sir. I’m sure Shooting Star and Argon are giving them Tartarus.”

“At the least.” Shining Armor started out of the room. Flash followed alongside him. Shining’s hoofsteps echoed off the glistening palace walls as they headed up the stairs. “Nevertheless, I have high hopes for this crew. If convincing the Crystal Ponies that a regiment of the Royal Guard was needed was like pulling teeth, convincing them that the needed soldiers needed to come from their population was like pulling teeth without magic or medicine to numb it. It took me months from the time that Sombra was destroyed to even begin the conversation.”

“But you obtained a decent amount of recruits in the end, sir. After all, a hoof-full over a hundred from a city of only a few thousand?” Flash stepped up as they reached the next floor, only to see Shining start to head higher.

Shining looked straight ahead. “Perhaps.”

They ascended another set of stairs, reaching the third floor where Flash and Twilight had stayed, then continued even higher. Flash followed in puzzled silence. Is he taking me back to the armory? The barracks?

The two passed those rooms in lieu of another set of stairs. The temptation to ask was growing stronger, but Flash swallowed it, letting their hooves speak for them. He looked over to Shining to see a neutral expression on the stallion’s muzzle, which only confused him further.

Did I do something wrong? Is he taking me somewhere to chastise me? Maybe for the Aurora Borealis? Or perhaps he heard about Twilight and Quartz’s argument at Donut Joe’s?

Anxiety that would have gripped his heart in its icy claws only weeks prior merely growled in his stomach this time. I have broken no laws, unwritten or otherwise, Flash reminded himself.

In the silence, Flash continued to follow Shining up the seemingly endless stairs of the Crystal Palace.

~

Twilight emerged from the spa, sighing in bliss as all the joints along her back popped in just the right way as she stretched. Her wings glistened in the sunlight from their oil treatment. The thin layer of snow crunching merrily beneath her filed and polished hooves. She looked over herself as she waited for Cadence to join her.

Ohh, wow. I really should have taken Cadence up on this offer earlier… I’m so relaxed, I could fall asleep, right here, right now, if I wanted to! Those masseuses… I don’t want to offend Rarity, but I’m certain Aloe and Lotus have nothing on this place.

From behind her came a long yawn and the rustling of wings. “Aaah… What a great way to spend a last day, huh, Twilight?” Cadence asked in a playful tone as she trotted up to her.

“Sure is! Thanks so much. I swear, those Pyrite twins are miracle workers.” Twilight stretched a forehoof and felt something pop pleasantly. “They worked through years of falling asleep on my desk!”

Cadence giggled. “Nothing like a good massage to melt stress from the bones.” She glanced up at the sun in the sky. “Looks like we have about two hours before your train will be pulling in. What would you like to do? Visit the bookstore? Go grab a bite to eat?”

“Actually, I was wanting to show you something before I go. If it isn’t too much trouble,” Twilight added, a bit of urgency in her voice.

Although Twilight had respected Cadence’s directive not to continue her studies until she returned home, and her conversations with Flash or anypony else had not been political in nature, that hadn’t stopped the various issues awaiting her from passing through her mind.

Near the forefront of that trouble minded was the trial of Orion the noble. With the trial scheduled for Wednesday—less than three full days away—Twilight had been pondering the stallion’s transgressions, as well as his potential punishment. Ten years for one moment of passion, however misguided it was, seemed stiff, even if she had been the one in danger.

Perhaps sensing the nature of her request, Cadence nodded in response. “Of course, Twilight. Lead the way.”

With a forced smile, Twilight thanked her. “It shouldn’t take too long, I promise.” She picked up her hooficured hooves and began to lead them through the awakening streets.

Cadence stuck to her side. “We have time, don’t you worry.”

Time… I’ve seem to run out of it, Twilight thought with an inward scowl. These weeks went by so, so quick, and I feel like I’m leaving with far more questions than answers. Sometimes, I forget that I came here to learn something.

Sometimes, she thought, watching as a passing couple waved more fervently at Cadence than herself, I feel that I came here to be taught.

What that lesson is, and what I will do with it… We shall see.

The two alicorns made their way with haste and grace—well, more of the former than the latter on Twilight’s part. The poise and confidence in Cadence’s movements, even with a crown and four golden slippers weighing her down, spoke only of true majesty rather than practiced steps. Of all the things Twilight would miss from her experiences here in the frozen north, the lack of additional weight on her head or hooves was no less significant than anything else.

Twilight looked away from Cadence and faced straight ahead. Just another thing to look into, to deal with, to discuss… Not with Celestia or Luna though. At least, not yet. But my friends… and Flash.

Twilight found herself smiling the rest of the way. From the corner of her eye, she found Cadence looking down at her with a knowing grin. She chose not to comment on this, and was grateful Cadence said nothing.

The silence between them was welcome, a relief befitting her final hours in this strange land.

Soon, Twilight reached her destination. “Here we are!”

Cadence tilted her head as she glanced up at the large facade in front of them. “‘Empire Mines’? Twilight, I’ve already had Apt show you—”

“I know, but there’s something in it I would like to show you.”

“Ah. And that would be…?”

“You’ll see. C’mon, race ya!”

With a giggle, Twilight kicked off her hindhooves and galloped towards the mouth of the mining shaft. Cadence cried out in feigned outrage—”Cheater!”—then took off in a sprint after her.

Like foal and foalsitter again, they soon met up in a tangle of fur, feathers, and giggles, neither declared the victor. It was perfect that way.

~

The stairs proved to be finite.

Flash and Shining finally came to a stop at a set of double doors. Shining opened them with a flick of his magic, revealing a balcony. Without a word, he trotted over to the railing. Flash joined his side in equal conversation.

Shorter than Shining, Flash had to lean up on his hindhooves to look down over the railing. Below them, Shooting Star and Argon were shouting orders at the scrambling recruits on the field loud enough to be heard clearly from the balcony.

The Crystal stallions in their bronze armor galloped, climbed, jumped, and crawled through the obstacle course, their coats of many colors sparkling in the Empire’s winter sun. Algems glowed against their barrels as they flung spears at targets, retrieved them with the same magic, and then threw at targets on the other side of the field. Practice dummies were slashed, hacked, pummeled, and tackled.

Between every completed obstacle, the two Lieutenants zipped from stallion to stallion, barking demands for push-ups, sit-ups, or both to be completed as compensation for a job well done.

Shining broke his silence with a chuckle. “You know the best thing about this little program, Flash Sentry?”

Flash looked away from the chaos on the ground. “What’s that, sir?”

“We may not have numbers on our side, but we have passion. And I’m not talking about Shooting Star,” Shining added, just as the aforementioned Lieutenant threw his helmet to the ground and began screeching a particularly eloquent string of words at a lucky recruit.

Flash laughed. “The Lieutenant is definitely passionate, sir. But what do you mean? The recruits themselves?”

“I do. We’ve only lost about twenty stallions out of our initial pool. That’s less than twenty percent—far fewer than it was during my own basic training, or even when I was Captain.”

“That is…” Flash whistled. “That is some dedication, sir, especially since you said the Crystal Ponies were reluctant to have the Crystal Pony Guard in the first place.”

Glancing sideways at him, Shining began, “Between you and me, Flash Sentry…”

“Of course, sir.” Flash bowed his head.

Though they were alone, Shining locked the balcony doors behind them. “Between you and me, we did get more volunteers than we accepted. A few older stallions also volunteered, along with some of the non-Crystal ponies living here—”

“The… refugees, sir?”

“Yes,” Shining said, “though not every Earth pony, pegasus, or unicorn who now calls this land home is one. But yes, some of them, and even some mares, too.”

Flash’s ears pricked. “Mares?”

Shining looked away from the field to face Flash. “At some point, I would like to open the Guard to anypony who can meet our standards, including Earth ponies and mares, along with creating opportunities for non-unicorns to advance in leadership. If there weren’t already so many volatile subjects at play here, I would have accepted those other volunteers, and started my reworking of both the enlisted and officer hierarchy myself. But reforming the Royal Guard is second right now, as it was then, to the larger issues that we face.”

Reworking the hierarchy? Now, that would be a wonderful change. Perhaps then Shooting Star would be the Captain I have to face, and not… Ironhoof…

Ironhoof had not graced Flash’s thoughts since the Order of the Silver Guard had raked the conniving Captain over the coals during their meeting a few weeks prior. Thoughts of Canterlot Castle and what awaited at him at home—minus Greyhoof, Steel Wind, and Sharp Spear—had been fleeting, cast aside for either the larger issues or the larger enjoyment at hoof.

As Shining discussed reformation of what seemed like another broken system, Flash felt his stomach churn. He looked to the horizon, knowing that, once the sun rose to high noon, he would be put on a train barreling back home.

Home. If home was where the heart is, am I heading to it or leaving?

“Flash?”

Shaking that thought away, Flash looked up. “My apologies, sir. I… I think that is a great idea, sir, but you are correct. Right now, changing the Royal Guard would be… too great an undertaking.”

“Indeed. Right now, my focus after today is ensuring that these stallions—” Shining waved a forehoof over the group below—”get the additional training and support they need. I’ve put in orders for more staff to be reassigned from Canterlot to the Crystal Empire. Several armorers and farriers to fit my new Guards properly. Two blacksmiths and their apprentices to furnish new weapons and maintain what we have. And more servants and cooks, including Shooting Star and Argon’s attendants—”

“The Lieutenants will be stationed here now, sir?”

Despite his interruption, Shining appeared unfazed. “Mostly. They will still have their weekend leave and the option to split their time between here and Canterlot if they so choose. However, both of them have expressed their interest in remaining in the Empire as much as possible.”

Flash held back a sigh. “I see, sir.” No Lieutenants, only the Captain, Knights, Corporals, and Guards… I don’t see Ironhoof abusing that at all.

Shining frowned. “What’s wrong?”

Flash looked away. Then, after a moment, he met Shining’s gaze. “It’s just… I fear, sir, that Captain Ironhoof will abuse his power even more without either of the Lieutenants to handle some of the smaller issues.”

Shining’s brow furrowed at Ironhoof’s name. “I am all too aware. Unfortunately, you are most likely right. Without Shooting Star or Argon, Ironhoof will be forced to handle most issues on his own, rather than delegating them to the Lieutenants. For that reason, I hope you keep what we talked about at the forefront of your mind, Flash—”

Immediately, Flash nodded, then saluted for good measure.

“Good. Because, although he will be busier, I doubt his feelings towards you will lessen. Ironhoof is a stallion of honor, order, and tradition. Even the slightest offense towards his standards or ideas about what a Royal Guard should be will incur a longstanding grudge. He has been that way since we trained together.”

Flash nodded again, biting his tongue.

With a voice near a growl, Shining said, “I am hoping that will come to bite him in the ass.”

Tempted to laugh, Flash bit his tongue again. Still, he smiled, and smiled wide.

“But,” Shining added, looking straight into him, “until that happens, stay on your the tips of your hooves. Keep your armor polished and your poise even more so. The walls of Canterlot Castle have eyes and ears. Remember what we talked about. Also know that you’re free to visit the Crystal Empire or write to me whenever you wish, and I will inform you when your presence is needed. It may be sooner than you think.”

“Understood, sir.” Flash saluted.

Shining Armor opened the balcony doors with his magic. “Oh, and one more thing.”

“Yes, sir?”

“I am more than alright with my sister having friends, especially when she will need one. A trusted friend there in the castle, whom she can talk to about the new things she’s… dealing with.

“There is no law against being friends with anypony, after all. And I’m glad to see that things seem to be going that way, but...

“She does not need more than that. Do you understand?”

Flash saluted his Captain. “Understood, sir.”

Shining smiled. “Good. We’ve got a few hours left before your train comes, so we might as well watch Shooting Star and Argon run these poor stallions through the ringer up close.”

“Yes, sir.”

Just as silently as they’d come, they left the balcony and began their descent through the palace down to the training camp. Along the way, the sensation of Twilight leaning against him, warm in his wings, dominated Flash’s mind.

No matter the cost, he silently vowed again, as his last few hours as a stranger neared.

~

Twilight laid her forehoof on the infinite mosaic. The warmth beneath her forehoof surged at her touch. She closed her eyes and concentrated, her horn lighting up as she searched for a magical signature, a leyline, anything that would further explain the mystery before her.

That warmth ebbed as her magic returned no answers. Twilight opened her eyes and leaned back to take it all in once more—the endlessly chromatic edifice before her, stories upon stories, the Eternal Wall.

Twilight pressed her hoof to a lavender gemstone on the Wall and sighed. “I wish I knew more about it, especially since I have to go. I have a feeling that, wherever it came from, it is a source of sorts. A source from which all the crystals in this Empire come, or a—”

“The source from which all things flow.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow. “‘The source from which all things flow’?”

“It is a phrase that was used by the tribe that raised me,” Cadence said, pressing her forehoof to a fuschia crystal, “to describe the origins of their magic. As Earth ponies, they knew it came from the ground, but from what in the ground gave them their power, they did not know. So they said it was ‘the source from which all things flow,’ or ‘the Source,’ or ‘the Groundwater,’ even, for it was part of what gave them life.

“And I believed it, too, though it was hard to do so when the Earth did not respond to me as it did for them. It wasn’t until Celestia took me under her wing and I began my studies that I learned that the Earth ponies are suited for the Earth, not the Earth for them. The same with the pegasi and the skies that give them magic, or the unicorns and the runes that do the same.”

“So… You think it is the Empire’s Earth, in a sense? Like, another planet? Or a chunk of one? Or perhaps a meteor?”

Cadence shook her head. “No, not in the literal sense. But, whatever it is, I believe that it gives the crystals their magic, and, accordingly, the Crystal Ponies.”

Twilight tapped her chin. “But if it is a magical source, then why did it not save them from Sombra?”

“Perhaps he corrupted it, like how other magical objects can become corrupted.”

“But nopony has ever wielded the Earth or the sky as a weapon. So how could they wield this, if it is the same?”

“Maybe it is closer to a set of runes than the Earth,” Cadence suggested. She ran her forehoof over multiple unique gems in the formation. “Spells are unique and passed on through unique runes, correct?”

Twilight nodded.

Cadence continued, “Perhaps, within this Wall, are all of the crystals that the Empire has known. The ones for food, warmth, magic—like the crystal berries, the glowstones, the torchgems, the algems—and every other. And, like runes, perhaps only a type of crystal can be mined or used if it is within this formation. So, if this Wall did not stop Sombra, perhaps there was only one kind of crystal within it that could stop him, and he removed it, like—”

The Crystal Heart!” Twilight exclaimed, raising a forehoof. Just as quickly, she put it down. “But the book my friends and I studied when the Empire reappeared said that the Crystal Heart had always been in the center of the Empire, not down in some cavern.”

Cadence paused, looking up at the seemingly infinite obelisk of crystal. “True. Maybe there was some crystal here in the past that was a backup for the Heart, or even a decoy, but Sombra smashed or stole that first.”

Twilight hummed. “I suppose that makes sense. I would have to look into it, though.”

“Why the interest in Sombra, if I may ask? Or the Wall?”

“Well, I’m not interested in Sombra, really. I’m trying to understand the Eternal Wall. It seems important. Why else would Apt have shown me it? Or why else would you have told him to do so?”

Hearing a note of accusation in her own voice, Twilight’s ears drooped. “I mean… It just… It must be more than something pretty, you know?”

With a soft smile, Cadence nodded. “I know what you mean, Twilight. You are right in that it is more than a pretty pile of rocks,” she added, smirking.

Twilight snort-laughed. “That’s not—”

Cadence giggled. “I know it’s not! But… Heh… It’s good you are trying to understand it. To be honest, all I have are theories and speculation, just like the Crystal ponies themselves,” she explained, “and part of why I wanted you to see it was to see if you knew anything about it. Anything that would be beneficial to the Empire’s defense is something I need to know.”

Twilight held back a cringe. Defense. Right. Just in case…

“Other than casting the Aurora Borealis, I don’t know what it does,” Cadence added. “Perhaps your studies will provide more answers.”

So that’s where the aurora came from! I meant to ask Flash, but I was… Err… Twilight was grateful these were merely thoughts in her head. She refocused on Cadence and nodded. “I hope so. Thank you for humoring me, though.”

Cadence beamed. “Not at all. Is there anything else you wanted to show me before you leave?”

After stealing one last look at the Wall—taking as much of a mental photograph of it as possible—Twilight turned around and picked up her hooves again. “No, though there was something I wanted to ask you.”

Following after her, Cadence asked, “Oh? What’s that?”

Twilight waited for a moment, listening to their hoofsteps echo off the dimly lit walls of the mine. “What do you and Shining do about criminals here in the Crystal Empire? Have you even had any?”

“Only a few so far, and only minor ones, at that. A few thieves. Some foals vandalizing their school. Shining’s dealt with them all himself, since we don’t have a prison built yet. We wanted to get some Guards trained up to staff it first. That’ll be our next construction project, once the renovations on the Empire’s Stadium are completed.”

“I see. And how did Shining deal with them?”

Cadence chuckled. “Well, other than giving them a very large piece of his mind, he made them do some community service. Shovel the walkways of snow, deliver newspapers and coffee to the crew at the Stadium, work in the mines, that kind of thing.”

Work in the mines… Twilight watched as a pair of Earth ponies passed them through the tunnels. The two were in such a hurry that they barely acknowledged the royals, their manes dripping with sweat. “I suppose that wouldn’t be that bad of a punishment if you were a unicorn or a pegasus,” she observed, turning to Cadence. “All of those tasks are easier with wings or magic.”

Cadence laughed again. “Oh, Twily, c’mon—your brother’s a softie, but not that soft! If it was a pegasus or unicorn who had committed the crime, you’d be sure Shining would enchant a pair of wing shackles or place a limiter on their horn for the duration of their sentence.”

“You have those?”

“Of course we do!” Cadence declared. “We keep them in our—err, nevermind,” she muttered, turning a rather flattering shade of scarlet.

Twilight blanched, unable to look her sister-in-law in the eye. Too… Much…. Information!

“But, uh, heh heh, that’s what we would do to our criminals. And, you know, if anypony was sent from another part of Equestria to the Empire as part of their sentencing, I would make sure that their sentence was carried out properly myself.”

In the darkness, Cadence turned to meet Twilight’s gaze. In that meeting, there was an understanding, and a possibility that had been churning throughout Twilight’s thoughts began to put down roots.

~

Shortly after Flash and Shining, and then Cadence and Twilight, returned to the Crystal Palace, the noonday sun met its apex in the sky.

Frantic goodbyes were exchanged between Twilight, Cadence, and Shining. There was no shortage of hugs to be found amongst the three. Flash looked on with a smile.

When it came to his goodbyes, Flash accepted Shining’s offer of a firm hoofshake. He looked up into his Captain’s eyes with pride, grateful to have been given the gifts of camaraderie and purpose—not only for a short while, but sure to endure past this excursion.

When he turned to Cadence, Flash was met not by her hoof, but with a wing. He returned the hug as best as he could, spear in one forehoof, duffel bag in the other.

Once he had pulled away, Cadence stood beside Shining and looked between Twilight and Flash. “Thank you two so much for coming. It’s been wonderful having you here. If either of you would like to visit, or need anything, please, don’t hesitate to write or stop by.”

Twilight nuzzled both of them, then stepped away. “Of course, Shiny, Cadence. Take care, both of you.”

Flash bowed deeply to them with a genuine smile on his face. “Thank you, Princess Cadence, Prince Shining Armor. Your hospitality is beyond words.”

Shining chuckled. “Just how we welcome all of our guests in the Empire.”

“Speaking of guests… I saw Shooting Star and Argon were still out there with the recruits. Will they be coming back to Canterlot later tonight as well?” Twilight asked.

“No, they’ll be stationed here mostly as Shining continues to train the new Royal Guards,” Cadence said. “I’m sure Captain Ironhoof will be more than capable of handling everything back at Canterlot.”

Flash hide his smirk at the disguised nonchalance in Cadence’s voice. I’m sure he will be, indeed. Shining is right. As long as I keep…myself in check, everything shall be fine.

After all, my armor won’t always be gold. Just gotta get through until it’s silver.

Twilight nodded. “I’m sure he will.”

Flash noted a similar—but not exact—nonchalance in her voice. And I don’t think Ironhoof will be succeeding in his plan to court her.

Good.

“Well,” Twilight said with a sigh, “I would love to stay longer, but we have a twelve-hour train ride ahead of us. Right, Flash?”

“Right, Twilight.” Flash relished how simple her name sounded in his ears, how sweet it was on his tongue in comparison to the rehearsed myriad of pleasantries he would soon be uttering in their place.

For a moment, Flash shared a glance with Twilight, and he was sure she was thinking of the same thing.

“Alright, you’d better get moving before you miss your train,” Shining said with a chuckle. He opened his forehooves for one last hug from his beloved sister, who accepted it without a second thought.

Another round of goodbyes, and Flash was at Twilight’s side once more, trotting briskly out of the Crystal Palace and into Celestia’s sun.

With the familiar weight of the spear in his forehoof, the two treasures in his duffel bag, and an entirely new perspective and purpose—including more than a shimmer of hope in his heart—Flash Sentry led Twilight Sparkle back to the train station, bound for Canterlot.