• Published 28th Dec 2013
  • 756 Views, 8 Comments

Canterlot at a Snails Pace - Nebula Knight



A day in the life of a grown up Snails and his constant Companion, Snips.

  • ...
1
 8
 756

Chapter 1

Author's Note:

Welp, this is my first try at fan fiction of any sort, ever. A friend of mine requested a little Snips and Snails love, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Hopefully you fine folks will enjoy this and it holds up to MLP fanfic standards!

Canterlot at a Snails Pace



Some things in life are best taken in slowly. A morning sunrise was an example that many ponies—even the busybodies in Canterlot—could appreciate. Such a sunrise crept around the shades of Snails’s small home; giving him a little more light as he concentrated on his tedious task. Calling what he did before work in the morning a task was probably a stretch. The prospect of using tiny brushes to meticulously paint just as diminutive figurines would drive most ponies up a tree, but not Snails. The young stallion bit his lower lip as the magically suspended brush made gentle, minute touches to the eyes of his royal guard. There was something to be said for attention to detail and patience, but the bustling city that surrounded him didn’t seem to see that value.

He knew it was time to go, but he had to stake a few steps back and look over his work. It was good enough to pass muster next to the other guards on the shelf where Snail placed it. Perhaps he’d work on one of the princesses when he got home; he never could get them quite right and they were a never-ending project. The lanky stood outside the bedroom of his roommate and listened to the snores coming from beyond the wooden door for a few moments before knocking. The snores stopped, so Snips had certainly woken up, but there was no reply.

Snails cleared his throat and knocked again, “Snips, we’re going to be late again.” A thumping sound came from the other side of the door. No doubt Snips had decided to literally roll out of bed. A few seconds later the door opened and the groggy-looking short pony emerged. The pair exchanged no more words as they left their little house.

Snips and Snails had always drawn odd looks, which had something to do with the fact that they both looked odd. Growing up for Snails had meant filling out, but not to the extent he’d hoped. He had come to accept that he’d always be a little on the tall, thin, and awkward side. For Snips’s part, filling out was the last thing the squat pony needed. He was still short, still chubby, and still everywhere Snails went. Moving to Canterlot was what they had considered at the time to be a ‘brilliant’ move. Fact is, the odd squad of Snips and Snails didn’t make brilliant decisions and the move had been no exception so far.

There was something to be said for the morning rush of ponies going from home to work and the opportunity it offered to blend in and not be noticed. As usual, Snails—making use of his high vantage point— led the way through the crowd of commuters with Snips only a half trot behind. “Hey” Snips piped up. “Hey, Snails?” Snails frowned and lowered his head as he ignored the familiar voice; he knew what this was going to be about. He had to admit his tummy was rumbling too, and the smell of fresh baked goods from Corner Cupcakes was alluring.

He turned and looked down at his bouncing friend, who immediately stopped and offered his best impression of puppy eyes. Snails couldn’t say no to his friend, but he made a show of saying yes; acting like he was deep in thought over the situation. “Well,” he started slowly, letting Snips tremble with anticipation, “I guess we’re already going to be late so a few minutes won’t hurt.” The pair turned away from the current of other ponies, and for once Snips took the lead; using his horn to open the door.

Snips’s nose was twitching excitedly as he caught a whiff of the smells of fresh baked goods. The short pony nearly bounced his way up to the counter and greeted the yellow mare behind it, “Morning Butter Cream!”

“Morning, fellas,” Butter Cream smiled and waved a hoof over her display case of goods enticingly. “Been awhile, since I’ve seen you, Snails,” she laughed, “though not so long for your friend.” Snails raised a brow. Snips’s occasional early walks to work made more sense after hearing that. A baker’s dozen of various cupcakes vanished in only a few minutes between the two hungry young stallions, and while Snips got the majority, Snails got all the carrot cake ones.

Canterlot schools were different than the one back in Ponyville. Primarily, Ponyville was a single classroom setting; whereas the classrooms in the big city were divided into separate age levels. Foals and young ponies were filing into the front doors in the minutes before their classes started. Snips and Snails were supposed to be there before the students. After all, a custodian and groundskeeper’s duties extended far beyond the classrooms. Snails’s eyes scanned the students as the tardy duo made for the playground and side of the building; hoping to sneak in the back door undetected. Getting to work on time also meant getting a better chance to avoid his personal nemesis.

“Hey, stupid.”

Snails stopped, and suddenly enough that his companion bumped into his back leg—which only made the source of the harsh words laugh. The lanky horse pounded the dirt with his hoof in frustration as the playground bully blocked their path. He was on the older side for the school, but not in one of the more advanced classes. Bubble Burst: a nearly all white earth pony with a name that suited him well. ‘Bubble’ always had a jeering look about him, and he made sure everypony got a good glimpse of his rather unusual cutie mark; a needle bursting a balloon. Snails always wondered if he had been a bully when he was in school, especially after that whole Trixie business, but he was nothing like Bubble Burst.

“What, gonna just sit there and pout, dummy?” Bubble Burst took a few slow steps towards his victims. “Maybe that snail brain of yours can’t figure out a good reply?”

Snips lifted a pebble and chucked it in the bully’s general direction. “Hey! Get to class before principal Cheerliee hears about those tools you stole from the shed.” Bubble grumbled and trotted off. It was just a temporary delay in the endless cycle of pranks and verbal abuse, but Snips had won that round. “Aw, c’mon buddy,” the chubby pony piped in. “Don’t let that guy get to you, he’s full of horse crap.”

“He’s right, though,” Snails grumbled as he opened the door to the school and made a sharp right down the stairs to the maintenance area. “I’m so stupid that it’s actually my special talent.

Snips selected a pair of garden shears from the shelf and tucked them into his saddlebag. “We’re both kinda stupid, Snails, so that can’t be it.” The self-deprecating humor got a grin out of the golden-colored pony. “Why don’t you find a way to get back at him. Ya know, do a few little magic tricks or some good ‘ol pranks.”

“That’d just make it worse, don’t you think?”

“What would make what worse?” Snips and Snails jumped noticeably at the familiar female voice coming from behind them. Snips lowered his ears and considered trying to hide behind something, and Snails just hung his head as he did an about-face. Cheerilee looked much the same as she always had, though the principal wasn’t quite so cheery as the simple schoolteacher had been; not at that particular moment, anyway. “You two, I swear,” she let her rebuke sink in for a few moments before rolling her eyes. “What’re you late for, this time?”

Snips jumped in front of his taller friend immediately. “You see, I wasn’t feeling well this morning.”

Cheerilee smirked slightly, but nodded sincerely. “I see. Something you ate, perhaps?”

“Must have been!”, nodded the bucktoothed Snips.

The principal got close enough to brush his cheek with her hoof; a gesture that caught Snips off guard. She held it up for the dynamic duo (as she often called them) to see. Clear as Celestia’s sunshine was a glob of blue frosting. “Uh-huh. Could have at least brought me in a few. You’re lucky, there’s nothing important that needs doing today, just the usual chores.”

“So we’re not in trouble, eh?” Snails inquired.

Cheerilee shook her head, “Always said you two would never make it out of my school. Just try to make it into the place a little earlier.”

They waited until she was gone and out of earshot before exchanging a hoofbump. The daily work list was pretty standard. Snips would mostly be tending to the trees and bushes around the yard, and no doubt sculpting a few of the shrubs into something interesting. Everypony assumed that Snips would have ended up a barber, seeing as he really did a fine job making a mane and mustache look good, but he found he could stay by his buddy by applying those same skills to landscaping.

For his part, Snails had an exceptionally normal day ahead of him. He emptied the trash first—conveniently skipping the classroom that Bubble Burst was in. He liked cleaning, and put the same amount of care into sweeping as he did into any other thing. The lunchroom was biggest part of the day, and he did it both before the lunch started and after. Every table was wiped, every corner was meticulously dusted, and every inch of floor was spotless. In the kitchen—by the exterior door—was a crate of fresh food that had been delivered. Snails looked around and made quick work of a carrot before he moved the goods to the pantry. The lunch ladies were nice, but they did a bad job at keeping things in their proper place. Snails put the newly delivered items away first, and then put the improperly placed fruits and veggies on top of new ones in the baskets. Better to use the older produce first, after all.

Satisfied that things were in order, Snails made his way back towards his supply room. He frowned when he found the door was cracked open; Snips must have forgotten to close it again. He nudged the door with his head and something hit his head; exploding into a cloud of powder as it impacted. Snails coughed and shook his head while trying to backpedal, but he only tripped and fell. That would have all been bad enough, but the cackling laughter sapped any will he had to get back up.

“Gotcha again, stupid. How did you not see that one coming?!” Bubble Burst continued to laugh as he trotted back towards his classroom. That was strike two. Maybe Snips was right and a little revenge was called for.

It took half an hour for the flour-covered pony to be back to his natural golden hue. He was supposed to fix a few squeaky doors, but that could wait until later. Snails needed to get some fresh air and cool off. Maybe informing Cheerilee would have been a good idea, but something told him that it’d only make things worse. No, he was going to have to get Bubble Burst back. No plan would be complete without the advice of his cohort, though, and thus Snails went in search of his friend.

Outside, the day was shaping up to be a beautiful one. The air smelled of freshly cut grass and branches, with a little hint of cooking coming from the kitchen that he’d cleaned not long before. Snips was putting the finishing touches on one of his sculpted shrubs. He’d applied his art form in a rather unusual fashion: a cupcake shaped one. “Wow, you must have really liked those cupcakes, Snipsy.”

Snips took a few steps back and admired his handy work, nodding as if he considered the words a compliment. “It’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever created.” Snails knew his friend probably believed that, too. “It’s so realistic I can almost smell it.” Snips stopped looking at his shrub long enough to tilt his head and sniff at the taller pony. “Uh, Snails? You smell like a bakery and got flour on your hooves and in your mane.”

Clearly he hadn’t cleaned up well enough. “Yeah I had a little accident.”

“Bubble Burst, again?”

Snails nodded. He told his buddy about what had happened, and they both agreed that the bully of a colt had one coming. They went over various schemes and plots. Some were good, most were awful, and a few were brilliant (at least in the minds of Snips and Snails). They settled on an elaborate prank that would require timing, effort, some luck, and a bag of feathers. No time was wasted as they got to it; ignoring their work duties for the time.

Recess came around, and if there was one thing about Bubble Burst and recess it’s that he had long ago declared himself king of the slide. He had to be the first one to go down it each and every day. Sure enough, that day was no different, and the annoying white colt trampled over any would-be first in lines. Near the bottom of his slide the custodian and groundskeeper seemed to be gathering leaves to put into a big bag. Seeing them seemed to please Bubble, as he taunted them. “I bet Stupid there can’t even go down a slide normally.” The bully got a few approving chuckles from other students. Snails shrugged.

Bubble Burst basked in the glory of his moment. He made quite a scene of something so simple as going down a slide. In truth, he just liked making everypony wait while he did some fake stretches. Finally, he decided the moment was right and began his decent. Something was wrong, though, and he knew it right away. Bubble flailed and yelled as he rolled this way and that on the slicked up slide. He finally flew off the bottom of the slide with am ‘oof’ and looked around, dazed. The colt patted himself down to find out what the strange goo all over him was. He didn’t have much of a chance. Snails turned his back on the bully and gave the leaf bag a firm buck with his back hooves.

It was not a bag of leaves and brush clippings. Hundreds of down feathers exploded onto the hapless and stunned colt. Bubble wanted to shout or scream, but he sat there bewildered as the bulk of his classmates pointed and laughed at the ridiculousness of him.

“What’s the matter,” Snails quipped. “Too stupid to see the stickem all over the slide?” The deed was done, and Snails felt quite proud of his revenge. He had to admit that it made him feel good. Maybe that’s how Bubble Burst felt when he pulled one over on him? That thought didn’t make Snails feel too good, but he didn’t let it get in the way of his instant gratification. “You sure you’re not a Pegasus foal? Cause you look awful chicken.”

Then something quite unexpected happened. Bubble Burst’s eyes got wide. His lips quivered and his nose twitched as he sniffled. The bully was crying, but trying very hard to hide that fact. No doubt about it then: Snails felt bad.

“Mister Snails!” boomed a voice. It was Cheerilee. The principal was tapping her hoof on the ground and narrowing her eyes. “My office, now!” Snails’s ears flattened as he started his slow march towards the suddenly imposing looking front door. For just an instant he thought he heard the sobbing behind him turn into a sinister chuckle.

With the children out in the yard the hallways were empty, save for the sounds of Cheeriliee’s and his own hooves clacking onto the floor. By the time he got to the principals office Cheerilee was sitting behind her desk. She said nothing to Snails until he took a seat.
“What were you thinking, Snails?” His former teacher shook her head in clear disappointment. He didn’t have a good answer. He’d been thinking of getting back at the bully. He’d succeeded brilliantly at doing just that, only to feel bad afterward, and then angry again when he realized the tears were fake. She sighed understandingly and leaned back, “Look, I know he can be a little jerk, but you need to come to me if he’s being like that to you. You can’t just take things into your own hooves like that.”

“I’m sorry, Miss Cheerilee. I guess I was just being stupid.” That last word stung, but he knew it was right.

“Ugh, take the rest of the day off, Snails. I’ll deal with Bubble Burst.”

Snails didn’t argue it, and he said goodbye to Snips (who was waiting right outside Cheerilee’s door). Now he just had to find something to do with his day.

*

Snails stared at his figurine of Luna, then at his brushes and paint, and back again at the princess. She still didn’t look quite right after all the time he’d poured into her. He looked out his window at the moon and something clicked in his head. That was it! With giddy excitement Snails snatched his art supplies and figure and set up on the outdoor picnic table. The subtleties of the paint colors changed in the pale silvery light. It was close to being perfect; closer than he thought. How apt that Luna needed only the moonlight, he thought as he dipped his smallest brush in the paint and applied only the tiniest of strokes to her wings.

“Perfect.” Snails smiled broadly. A gentle breeze hit him from behind. He felt it in his mane, but he felt something else—a presence.

“It truly is.” Snails snapped around at the unexpected, vaguely familiar voice. He’d expected to see a passing by townsperson. He wasn’t expecting the Princess of the Night herself. She was stunning in person, especially that mesmerizing mane and tail of hers.

Snails stumbled off the picnic table bench and bowed before the princess as best he could on his wobbly-with-nervousness legs. “I’m sorry, Princess Luna”, he stammered out. She certainly wouldn’t want to see her image polluted by his poor attempts at painting.

She laughed and motioned for the young stallion to get up. Snails was always a tall pony, and he was one of the few around that could stand eye level with princess. “Sorry? Sorry for what? Sorry for making such a magnificent piece of fine art?”

Snails tilted his head, and answered the only way he could think of. “Yes, it’s…huh?” She liked it? She was smiling, and examining the figurine closely.

“There are no artisans in the castle that could have put the attention to fine detail into this like you have. Your special talent is truly a remarkable one!” She looked at Snails house. “Do you have a shop in town? Surely a master artisan such as yourself sells his wares.”

He wasn’t sure what to think. His—admittedly—sluggish thought process was jammed with the compliments he’d just received. Did the princess just tell him that his special talent was something he’d never even considered? How was that even possible? “Your highness, my special talent has always been being…slow.”

He couldn’t bear to look at her, but her head just lowered down to the level of his so that he had little choice. “That is not a detriment, and in fact your cutie mark is more special than most. Ponies cutie marks aren’t always so straightforward as we like to think.” She paused, in thought. “Would you be interested in a position in my royal court if you’re willing to make more of these sculptures?”

Snail’s ears perked and his tail wagged as he stood tall. “I’ve made all sorts of these, and I would love to make more for you, but my friend and I have always worked together. We moved here from Ponyville and I don’t want to leave him alone in the gardens at the school.”

Luna nodded. She appreciated this pony’s candid reply. “Your friend, is he the short one who makes the hilarious art in the shrubs?” Snails nodded. “Excellent! Extend my offer to him, as well. I’ll inform my guards to expect you two tomorrow with your answer, but for now I must return to my duties. Farewell, mister…”

“Snails,” the golden pony replied. She repeated it with a wink, and took off for the castle with a leap and flap of her wings. Snails watched her disappear into the distance, and watched that point for a while longer.

Snips was never going to believe this.

Comments ( 8 )

This was fantastic:raritystarry:! Good job, I hope to see more stories from you:raritywink:.

Nice and heartwarming slice of life story, even if the fairy godmother appearance of Luna at the end was a little out of the blue.

3691160 Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it.

This was an adorable little one-shot and I really enjoyed reading it. I agree, Luna's appearance was a little sudden, but the whole story was heart-warming nonetheless. :twilightsmile:

You've got a favorite and a follow from me!

3691327 Yeah that was a little random. I had a lot more trouble with this than I thought I would and I think it comes across a little forced.

Please do more of this, Or more of a Snips and snails Adventures.

This is an excellent interpretation of Snips and Snails!

Login or register to comment