• Published 14th Mar 2012
  • 1,272 Views, 12 Comments

Firsts - blargin7



A look through Octavia's relationship.

  • ...
1
 12
 1,272

Firsts

Firsts

Octavia held the cello's bow in her fetlock, preparing to play for her small audience. There were not many that she would play to alone, but that was what made it a special moment between the two. She started slowly, but all too quickly the memories flashed through her mind.

Their first meeting was in a small club named "The Scratch Lounge." She was brought there to unwind after a slight mishap at the Grand Galloping Gala, and bumped into the mare on accident. They had made fast friends over drinks, ending with the white coated mare walking her home, though both of the mares seemed to be tripping over their own hooves.

It had taken a long time for the unicorn to convince her, but together they made their first song. It seemed mostly to be to the blue-manned ponies tastes, but Octavia enjoyed making it with her all the same. It was something new, something she only had with Vinyl Scratch.

The song's slow beginning starts to pick up speed, just like her heart began to beat faster. Her hoof lowers, bringing the song into a higher key, hoping to make the melody more light-hearted. She feels the smile spread across her face as her memories continue to flood through her mind.

Their first date was a beautiful walk through the Manehatten park. As long as Octavia had known Vinyl, she would have sworn that the mare didn't have a romantic bone inside her. Despite that, the white unicorn led her through the park to a spot set for a picnic dinner among the flowers.

The first time she had seen Vinyl's eyes was also when they had shared their first kiss. They both had had a long day, so they decided to merely lay down and rest at Octavia's. Trying to stay awake, the grey earth-pony asked Vinyl about her purple tinted sun-glasses that she always wore. When the unicorn removed them, the black-manned pony was absorbed into the ruby gems. There was so much beauty behind those eyes, so many emotions, and she wanted to feel so much more of her.

The song picks up even faster, screaming deeply, as if yelling out in pain. The strings threaten to break beneath the bow, but they continue to sing out. The mare wishes to stop, but she has to continue on, has to persevere for the song being played, and for the one she loves.

Their first fight was the first time she had visited Vinyl's home. She lived a much more lavish life than Octavia had thought she had. Despite all that she could have, Vinyl chose to work as a D.J. in a small club. It wasn't that Octavia was hurt, or angry. On the contrary, she was scared. Vinyl showed so little of herself to the mare, she was afraid the unicorn was showing her only what she wanted to see. Afraid that Vinyl didn't really love her.

The first time her heart was broken by Vinyl, it had hurt more than anything she had ever felt before. She had been hurt before, she had felt the pain of disappointment and being let down, but it was nothing like that night. She had gone to pick up the unicorn after one of her shows, but instead of finding her barely awake and tipsy just outside the door, she found her kissing another mare inside the bar. She ran from the club in tears, feeling empty, thinking that all of her fears had come true.

The song's tempo slowed and the key became deeper, the melody becoming more meloncholy. Despite this, she smiled, kowing that her audience would want her to continue the song for even longer.

The first time she had realized her mistake, another mare dragged Vinyl to her door. The D.J. was drunk out of her mind, muttering the nickname she had given the grey mare every few seconds. She thought that the unicorn had brought her new marefriend over to rub it in her face until the blue-manned pony was thrown out of the strangers hooves and onto her shoulder. It was then that she found out that Vinyl had thought it was her she was kissing, too drunk to tell otherwise. Through her barely conscious mutterings, Octavia finally heard how Vinyl honestly and truly felt about her.

The first time she truly felt peaceful was that night, wrapping Vinyl's hooves around herself. The pain she had felt was long forgotten, and she knew that here, with her marefriend, was where she belonged. She would make sure that nothing would keep the two of them apart.

Octavia readied herself for this next part. It was the hardest for her to master due to the erratic jump that the tempo took. She knew, however, that she'd be able to do it as long as Vinyl was watching her.

The first time she was furious at someone was when her ensemble was turned down for a show. When she asked why they were not allowed in the concert hall, she was told it was because of "indecent actions" with another mare. If she had had less control over herself, the stallion would have been admitted to the hospital for at least a week.

The first time she had felt other ponies eye's judging them, she had felt angry and sad at the same time. Who were they to tell them that their love was wrong? Why could they not just live happily in peace like they wanted? Eventually, it grew to a point where the two decided to move somewhere where they would be accepted.

The tempo slows and simplifies once more, bringing back the peace they had. The key raises once more, bringing her happy memories back to mind with them. She knew the key would change again, in time, but the tempo would stay the same for the rest of the melody.

The first house she moved into with Vinyl was in a small, peaceful town named Ponyville. It was a nice family town, filled with people who weren't family, but were close to each other all the same. The house they had bought was small, but with a little work it was perfect for the two of them.

The first new friends they had made were their neighbors, a unicorn named Lyra and an earth-pony named Bon-Bon. Meeting them, Octavia realized they were not alone in this town. Their neighbors were quite open about their relationship, not caring who knew that they loved each other. It was, in part, thanks to them that Octavia felt so much more at home in the small town than in Manehatten.

The first time she felt happiness more than any other moment was the day that Vinyl proposed to her. It had seemed like a regular enough date to her, until the unicorn presented her with a diamond. She was speechless for a moment before answering with a quiet "Yes."

It was then, almost suddenly, the key lowered, bringing the song into a deeper tune. Octavia almost wanted to stop, but knew she couldn't. Truly, she was not playing this song for herself. She was playing it for Vinyl.

The first time she broke down in shock was when Vinyl came back from the doctor one day. The grey pony had sent her there because she seemed weaker, more lethargic than usual. The news the unicorn came back with was much worse. She had tried to stay strong, tried to keep herself together, but she just could not take the news. She just couldn't bear to hear that Vinyl was dying.

The first time that she had heard Vinyl sound truly scared was when her eyesight finally left her. It was hard to hear the quaver in her lovers voice, but all she could do was hold her close to her. The only thing she wanted from then on was to never have to hear such frightened words again.

The music finally reached the finale, the notes playing so soft that you had to strain your ears to hear them. She reached the ending of the song and waited for her love to say something, anything.

Slowly, the white pony turned in her bed to look at Octavia. Smiling, the mare mouthed one word before falling into darkness for the last time, breaking Octavia's very soul with her sorrow.

"Beautiful."


A/N:I've had this story in my head and needed to get it out. Didn't plan on it taking such a sad turn, though. Well, if you liked it, leave a comment.

Edit:Had to go back and fix a few little mistakes I found. As I said, hope you all enjoy.

Comments ( 12 )

Ouch, that ending hurt dear sir. However, this was a very good read, no matter its short length, I enjoyed every line. Great job!

It was a nice quick read. Really short but not rushed at all. Peculiar.
Just wondering, did you pull a couple of the scenarios from Two's Company, Three's a Crowd? 'Cause there were definite parallels. (Not that that's a bad thing. I personally like references such as these.)

Ending was really obvious from the synopsis, but interesting nonetheless. However, the narration is full of tell and little actual show. A few tense issues as well.

I created an account and submitted this late last night, before I went to bed. I wake up today to find 6 likes, 3 comments, and someone watching me. What a way to wake up. :twilightsmile:

>>Ryuler I am glad that you enjoyed it, and the ending hurt me a bit too, and I'm the one who typed it.

>>theoneOshen Peculiar indeed, because I only spent a few short hours on it. As for the possibility of references, while I myself like them as well, I didn't really mean to pull any from any other fics.

>>Kurbz I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by "full of tell and little actual show." Could you explain a little more, please?

God i love melancholy. While it does seem like you spared little words for details, I think it fits this fic just right.

323768
Indeed it does explain it very well. I'll be sure to work on that, thank you.

A very good short read, loved the way you did Octavia, I just can't see vinyl as a drinker though. That was the only real thing that bugged me, loved the story and premise though. Could have shed a little light on WHY vinyl was dying..unless you wanted it to be a mystery which is :rainbowkiss: entreging

The ending made me almost cry.

On a lighter note however, i managed to imagine the song in my head and it was beautiful, very beautiful.

:fluttercry: I-I'm gonna ... yeah...:fluttercry:

vinyl...no... :fluttercry:

Login or register to comment