• Published 12th Nov 2013
  • 4,107 Views, 284 Comments

DiE: Glarin Ungard the Berserker - InsaneJustin



Dwarf in Equestria, When deep miners discover a strange portal that they assume to be dwarven made, they activate it, thinking there are riches to be had. Only thing is, it does not turn out so well for one dwarf in particular.

  • ...
13
 284
 4,107

Moe the Kobold

The next morning was a bit of Choas. Many of the Kobolds wanted to travel to see the Marble city they heard so much about at the dinner table. But Celestia only sent a small chariot.

It was really only big enough for 2 ponies or 4 Kobolds. The Kobolds stopped fighting over who was gonna get to go with Daidein when Glarin voiced his opinion on the idea of taking a flying Chariot again.

"YOU'LL HAVE TO KILL ME BEFORE I JUMP IN THAT THING AGAIN!" Yelled Glarin as he crossed his arms at the sight of it. Twilight sighed as she walked over to Glarin.

"Alright, would you rather take the train? I told her you wouldn't be fond of going by air again." Glarin harrumphed loudly

"Why didn't we just do so from the beginning..." The Kobolds began to murmur to themselves wondering what and how big a train was.

As they all traveled toward the train station Twilight noticed how all of the kobolds seemed to be squinting or trying to shade their eyes from the sun. With a bit of concern, she turned her head to face them while they kept walking.

"Is the sun too bright for all of you? Perhaps I could get my friend Rarity to fashion a bunch of hats to keep your eyes shaded." The Kobolds nodded their heads promoting Daidein to speak

"Our eyes do not adjust well to bright lights. However we can see perfectly fine in the pitch blackness of our underground home." Glarin chimed in as well.

"Perhaps we can make some kind of shaded goggles for all you to wear when you're Topside." Many of the Kobolds fidgeted a bit at that thought.

"B-but we aren't craftsmen..." Glarin hummed

"Maybe you should be. If things go as I hope, you will have your own little country somewhere within Equestria." Twilight turned to look at Glarin in shock.

"Wait a minute! I thought you wanted me to let them join our society! Not have their own country!" Glarin nodded his head with a smile at Twilights 'excitement'.

"Yes Twilight, but to be truly free, they will need a place to call home." Daidein chimed in next.

"Why don't we just take the land in and under that forest you found us in Mor one?" Glarin and Twilight hummed at that thought

"I don't see a problem with it, do you Twilight?"

"Other than how dangerous the forest is? Nothing I can think of. As far as I know its considered free land for the taking. Mainly because of how dangerous and mysterious it can be. But then Zecora does live in the forest as well... Maybe she could help?" Glarin nodded his head.

"Yes, but we shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves. Princess Celestia will be the one to make the final decision." Daidein looked over at Glarin.

"We must speak to a royal child? Where is the King or Queen? Could they not make time to see us?" Twilight screamed internally as she scrunched up her face from the nightmarish flashbacks that began to flood into her mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Many of the kobolds were sour about being left behind. Daidein had instructed that he Alone will be enough. He didn't want to cause much panic. He was watching what many of the ponies did at the sight of them. He was sure none of them ran screaming simply because Glarin and Twilight were nearby.

But well, Kobolds by nature are mischievous little sneaks. As any dwarf will tell you. Even if they were civilized, children will still be children and one little kobold decided to sneak aboard the train and see the great city for himself.

His name, His name is Moe.

He would stay hidden and nearby. No one would be the wiser and no one would notice he was gone.

Moe was the smartest of his egg brothers and sisters, and the quickest and most nimble! Why he would get to brag about seeing the great white city before any others!

He quickly snuck away and hid under a bench. He was positive no one saw him. Being born with many black scales on his hide, he could easily blend into the darkness and shadows.

When no one was watching he made a mad dash for the nearest open train door and hide under the nearest seat. From there he moved around from seat bottom to seat bottom. Looking for where Daidein and Glarin had gone.

He couldn't let them get far. If he lost them he would lose his way back home. Not that he was scared mind you. He was also the bravest of his egg brothers and sisters. Being hatched first meant he had to be.

He finally spotted them and decided to stay put. He was comfortable and there happened to be some bags that covered him completely from anyone that might glance downward.

Never having being on a train before, the little Kobold didn't know what to expect. But he knew the thing they all got into was some kind of big magical moving device. He had seen it pull into the Station with the rest of them.

And now, all he had to do was wait...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moe awoke to find himself alone in the train car, whoever owned the bags by his feet took no notice of him as he slept against the wall under the bench. The train car was still lit but stationary. Was he even still in the right city?

Panic began to overtake Moe as he realized he had just lost his guide back home. His only hope was that the white marble city was on the outside. Then all he would have to do is find them!

Moe crawled out from under the bench and looked around, No one was inside the same car as him so he sneaked toward the exit and slowly opened the sliding door. Slowly because it was giving him some decent resistance. As he opened the door he peeked his head out and saw that no one was around so he jumped out and ran to the nearest visible crevice, behind some plants and a trash can.

As he looked around the train station he saw the color of choice seemed to be white, but having never seen Marble, he didn't know if it was the correct color of white for it to be Marble white. It seemed to have some gray and black in with the white.

Staying out of sight he slinked his way out of the train station and out into the open world.

The city was so bright and white that it hurt his eyes to look around. Everything was so bright tears were forming in his eyes and it pained him to keep them open in direct light. But the city was indeed white.

They must be someplace in this white city, but where did they go? Moe sat down and tried to think where Daidein and Glarin went. He remembered them saying something about Royalty, and they usually lived in the biggest building right?

Scouting around a bit Moe stuck to the shadows as he made his way to the city center...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So let me get this straight Mor one. There really isn't a King or Queen?" Daidein was wearing a large floral hat with purple flowers in it to keep the sun out of his eyes. Even though they were inside the Castle now, he had taken a liking to it.

"Aye, there isn't. Its weird I know but that's just how they do things around here." Ms. Canto was leading them through the castle toward Princess Celestia's Royal chamber.

"I must say, Daidein was it?" The Dragonwrought Kobold nodded his head as he turned to face Ms. Canto.

"Are all of your kind so, um, Scary looking?" Daidein cleared his throat with a bit of a chuckle.

"I am unique among my kind with the wings, and I could say the same about you..." Daidein was eyeing the horn on her head. "...With such a dangerous weapon out in the open." Ms. Canto was a bit taken aback

"I beg your pardon? Are you referring to my horn? There's nothing scary about it! It's normal for unicorns and its nothing that needs to be hidden."

"So are you implying that my kind and I should remain hidden because we're scary? Scary for something we have no control over? Just as how it's normal for your horn to be out, its normal for us to look..." Daidein motioned with his hands to encompass his entire body. "...like this." Ms. Canto was a bit at a loss for words.

"Umm... Well, You're correct. It may take some time getting used to your appearance. I just hope it doesn't cause too much of a problem." Ms. Canto focused upon the huge hat he was wearing and cracked a slight chuckle.

He looked like some kind of small dragon lizard, being no bigger than a mid-sized dog. The purple hat with flowers in it was rather distracting. Perhaps it was all the scales that made her uncomfortable, But it could also be the sharp teeth and visible claws...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moe was running between buildings and hiding behind stalls as he ran through the city. It wasn't until he stopped to catch his breath by an ally did some pony finally see him.

"Ohh-eww! What is That?!" Moe looked over to see a pony wearing an extravagant looking dress, pointing at him with a scared look on her face. He tried to play it cool.

So he smiled and waved. Causing the pony to up and flee with a screech.

"How Rude..." said Moe as he watched the pony run. Soon others came and saw him as Moe felt no need to run and hide. He had done nothing wrong. Sure he didn't listen to his elders, but the ponies were good now.

Right?

After all, he was only avoiding the bright lights because it hurt his eyes. He noticed that many of the ponies were studying him as they kept their distance.

Moe had started traveling in the opposite direction of the Castle and was unknowingly heading toward the cities busiest area, the Market. None of the ponies in this part of the city saw Glarin or Daidien.

So they had no idea what Moe was. Moe himself was at a loss for words. So many of them were just staring at him. It was making him nervous and his voice was having trouble leaving his mouth. He opened his mouth to speak, but the words caught in his throat and nothing left his mouth.

"What do ya think it is?" Moe was looking between all of the ponies and noticed that many of them didn't look very happy to see him for some reason.

"Did it come outta the sewers?" Moe began to curl his tail behind him. He was getting scared again. Why were they staring at him like that?

"Ugliest sewer rat I've ever seen!" Moe isn't ugly, or a rat! These ponies are mean. No one's ever called him ugly before. Big smelly poo head sure, but not ugly.

"Someone call animal control!" They started pointing at him with others circling around.

'W-what are they doing' thought Moe as some of the horned ones began to close in on him. He started to back away when one of the Unicorn horn's began to glow.

Moe turned around to run when a couple of the trashcans in the alley slide across the ground to block his path.
"Don't let it get away!"

"Aiieee!" Shrieked Moe as he scrambled around the ponies and out into the open. Panic had taken over as he ran through the street looking for another ally to hide away in.

Why did they try to keep him from leaving? The Mor one said the ponies were nice now. They were nice inside Glarins home, but there's nothing nice bout these ponies!

Calling him ugly and looking at him like he did something bad!

Moe didn't do anything bad! He didn't mean to scare the pretty looking pony, he was just saying hi with a smile! So, why were they chasing him?

Moe dashed to a pile of plastic bags half way through the ally way and dove inside of them.

"It ran down this alley!" Moe sunk deeper into the pile and became as quiet as possible. Hoping they would pass by.

"Where did it go?!"

"Thing was pretty big, like a dog except on two legs." Moe could hear so many hoof steps he lost count of them. And simply decided an army was searching for him.

"You think it ran all the way down the ally that fast?" Moe could hear one of the ponies smacking his jaw like he was chewing something.

"In my experience, critters tend to hide in things. Stand back and let a professional show you how it's done." Moe gulped fearing what kind of professional this confident sounding pony was.

Moe heard a hollow sounding deep thump followed by a whistle.

"Sure is big like a dog..." Moe heard some shuffling from outside, were they looking for him still?

"...this oughta keep the thing from escaping." Moes' heart stopped as fear gripped every fiber in his body when he heard the sound of a loud click.

Suddenly all of the trash bags were thrown away from around him. Followed by a net covering his field of vision along with the bright sunlight. Causing him to release a hiss. Moe looked on in horror and saw the "professional".

It was a unicorn with Glasses! There was no escape from this pony.

"Critter hissed at me!" Moe soon found himself unable to open his mouth as his snout was inside some kind of tight metal muzzle.

"That outta keep everyone safe from those nasty looking teeth of yours..." The unicorn looked over Moe some more from inside the net.

"Damn, what the hell are you? I best tie up your arms and legs too. Those are some sharp claws little guy. Everyone's gonna have a field day back at the pound."

Moe just struggled against the unicorn's magic as ropes bound his arms and legs.

"Hold still! This is for your safety as mine you know!" Moe stopped resisting as much causing the unicorn to visibly relax.

"So yer smart huh? I wonder if you belonged to some griffin, having sharp teeth and what not. No tags, probably some exotic pet that was smuggled in..." The unicorn shook his head as he traveled back with Moe to a carriage. Placing him in the back, inside a decently sized cage.

'A CAGE!' Thought Moe. His life was over. A Cage meant his freedom had been taken, and they even caged his mouth! He wasn't even free to speak.

Things had taken a turn for the worse for Moe. He remembers all those tales and bedtime stories about bad little kobolds.

Bad little kobolds who don't listen and follow the rules! They get taken away by the evil ponies, forced to work impossible jobs, and then used to feed the fields when they got old and could no longer work.

Moe began to sob inside the back of the carriage as they traveled back to the pound.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Celestia bowed her head, causing Glarin and Daidein to recoil in fear for a moment. They had been speaking with each other at length and Celestia was most intrigued by Daidein.

She had never seen something that looked like a dragon, yet speak so well! She learned that Daidein was highly intelligent to boot. Most of the adult dragons she had seen didn't use many words, more fire, and roaring. She only wished that he knew more of Dragons.

"I will need for you to stay the night. You may choose a room anywhere you like this time as well." Celestia eyed Glarin with a smile while he cleared his throat.

"It's still early in the day will we be allowed to travel the city?" Celestia nodded her head.

"Of course, and Daidein?" Daidein placed a fist over his heart and bowed his head before responding.

"What is it you ask of me? Your Majesty?"

"Please don't go traveling alone. Tomorrow I will make a formal announcement of your race. That should spread the news fairly quickly of your kinds arrival. The ponies of my city are rather Xenophobic. Things were difficult enough with the Griffins, but we are better prepared this time." Celestia hummed to herself as she looked over a scroll

"Also, it will only be a few hundred of you correct? Much easier to handle than several thousand with a language barrier around every corner." Daidein simply responded with a grunt, to which Celestia responded with a smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moe stopped his sobbing part way back to the pound and began to think. He was the oldest of his egg brothers and sisters, So he had to be brave. He had to know what to do in a situation like this.

He always paid attention to the classes Daidein taught them. Things he learned from the wall and from his own father. He would need to access the situation calmly. So as not to anger his captors.

If he was a good little kobold, he could bide his time and escape when he could. Who knows what this 'Pound' was. Moe only hoped it didn't involve any real pounding.

When they came to a stop Moe waited for his captors to come get him. Moe expected to walk out or be carried while still in the cage. Instead, Moe was gripped in the same unicorns magic and was pulled from the cage and kept floating in the air as they traveled inside.

Moe was assaulted by the sounds of barking. When he looked around he saw that they had all kinds of 4 legged furry creatures inside cages as well.

Were they captured as well? Why were so many kept in cages like this?

Moe was put into a big cage in the middle of the room and the bindings on his hands and feet were removed. However, the muzzle on his snout was still intact.

"When you show us yer not aggressive, then we can take the muzzle off." Moe released a low whine noise. Would he not get to eat?

The unicorn left the room leaving Moe to look around the room. He saw that many of the 4 legged creatures were eyeing him with curiosity. Some even growled when he looked at them too long.

Moe began to inspect his cage and looked at the door. It was a simple gate with a latch that wasn't very hard to figure out. Moe had opened the door to his cell and gasped at what he had just done. Was it not locked?

All of the dogs began to bark excitedly at Moe.

Moe began to panic at the sudden increase in volume so he quickly shut himself back inside his cage. About 20 seconds later the unicorn came back out with two more ponies, pegasi and an earth pony.

"What do you mean you got a baby dragon?"

"I'm telling you, I think it's an exotic pet from the griffin nations. I bet some rich griffin paid handsomely for it. Princess Twilight has a pet dragon right?"

"No way dude, my best mate in flight school was a griffin, he never said anything about no dragons for pets. Princess Twilights just an exception, what with Princess Celestia teaching her all kinds of forbidden magic."

"The Princesses don't know any strange forbidden magic! It's all rumors..." The earth pony paused for a minute while the pegasi slowly landed when Moe came into view.

"It does look like a baby dragon don't it. You think its worth anything? Or if it has any tags?" The unicorn shook his head.

"No such thing, I woulda felt the magical tag when I picked him up off the street. Did we get ourselves a feral dragon... pup? What do you call a baby dragon?" The other two ponies shrugged

"Well whatever you call it, we got one now..." The 3 ponies just looked at Moe with wonder cause of what he was. Or what they thought he was.

"Moe wished they would take the muzzle off so he could talk to them. Then they might understand. They didn't seem so bad after all. He began to feel the muzzle he had around his mouth and head. He started to worry when he could feel no separation in the metal.

Did the unicorn put on a muzzle that could only be taken off with magic?! The earth pony was watching Moe struggle with his muzzle

"Hey, is that one of the magic muzzles? He's trying to get it off." The unicorn professional answered without turning around, he was looking through some books.

"Yeah it is, He hissed at me before the capture, he also stopped struggling when I asked him too. So it must know some commands. Probably as smart as your average Equestrian dog." He made a motion with his hoof at one of the other animals in a nearby cage. Was that a Dog?

"Take 3474B to the back, It's been a month and 3474B is still here with Zero ponies or griffins showing interest. One left a comment saying he was 'too old'."

"Give our newest guest his cage and set him up. Also, leave the muzzle on him. I don't wanna risk him breathing fire at anyone or anything. I'll take it off when I feed him later. If he behaves, I'll leave it off."

FOOD! Moe was gonna be fed after all... But where were they taking such an old dog?

Moe watched as the pegasi went over to the cage with a leash. The dog was less than happy about coming out of the cage with the pegasi.

Why was he scared of him?

"Come on 3474B... I ain't gonna hurt you..." The dog slowly came up to the front of the cage and let the pegasi put the leash on him.

"Good boy... So glad we stopped giving them names." The pegasi gave a deep sigh as they walked to the back. Moe was just confused cause as they walked down the hall, all of the other dogs began to bark.

But not like before. Before they sounded excited and happy that he was able to get out of his cage. Now they looked terrified, Many of them were barking aggressively at the pegasi while others made whimper noises with weak sounding barks. What was going to happen to the old dog?

Moe found himself looking at the earth pony who was looking at him through the cage.

"Now, How am I gonna get you from this cage to the next one without the risk of getting hurt..." Moe wondered if he should try to communicate with her. Or if that would just get a lock on his cage. None of the cages had locks, just those funny looking latches.

Moe was no fool. He knew his history, he knew those in power don't like it when those under them know better. So Moe just kept staring at her, until he decided to just sit there and look around. Cause he knew manners...

Daidein had passed on most of his knowledge to him already. Moe just wasn't as strong or big yet.

The earth pony came back with a long pole with a loop on the end of it.

"Damn magical Jerk, why couldn't he just do the move with magic. What's he gotta do that's so important. Did he forgot about those sharp looking claws?" She gave out a sigh as she stood in front of the cage.

"Now, get to the back of the cage." She pointed with a free hoof to the back corner furthest from the door and stood kind of aggressively. Moe not wanting to seem too smart, just looked at her with a bit of a blank stare. This time, she said it again and kept her hoof pointed.

"To the Back!" Moe followed the path her hoof pointed out with his eyes before looking back at her.

"Back! To the back I say! I thought you were supposed to be smart..." Moe turned back to what she was pointing at and began to move to the back of the cage.

That's what Moe was waiting for, For her to think he's not very smart. Part one of his escape plan was underway.

Once he was to the back of the cage, he found that loop now put over his head. He Instantly ducked out of the way and turned around. Causing the earth pony to 'eep'

Was she scared of him?

Why? What did he do that made him so scary?

Moe decided he wouldn't dodge the next time she tried to 'catch' him.

With a bit of a shaky hoof, she tried it again. This time a bit slower and Moe didn't move this time. He let the loop close around his neck, and felt himself being pulled toward the cages exit as she walked away. Keeping her at a safe distance.

'Smart' thought Moe. 'I can't reach her and she can still reach me.' Moe just went with the current flow. When it got dark, he could begin his escape plan.

As Moe was put into the new cage, the loop around his neck loosened and it came right off, followed by the door being closed behind him with the strange latch clicking closed.

"Good good. That was rather easy. If your as tame as you seem to be. You shouldn't be here very long. Someone might take you home. But then again..." She looked Moe over and shook her head.

"I'm sure a griffin wouldn't mind." Moe just had to wait until they left him alone. He would wait until he got the muzzle off and got some food as well. Hopefully the muzzle wouldn't be put back on after he finished eating.

The real question is, should he just try speaking when he gets the muzzle off?