• Published 16th Oct 2013
  • 501 Views, 5 Comments

Rivers and Switchbacks - DegeTheMighty



Applejack and Big Mac go on a hike.

  • ...
1
 5
 501

Losing Herself In The Trees

She had never seen water so clear before. The lake was so clean, so clear, the floor was visible through various shades of blue. Seeing straight to the bottom was mesmerizing, The shine from the early morning sun quickly dashed along its surface. The perfectly calm, tranquil water looked almost like a solid block of ice, completely undisturbed by any outside interference.

Beautiful dancing snakes of mist glided and slithered across the surface, slowly and methodically dancing about like ice skaters. The mare had never seen water so calm, so peaceful before in her entire life. To watch the serpents of mist dance upon their transparent floor, was something she had never knew she wanted to see.

Applejack's trance was broken, as her brother had finished up packing the small breakfast they had. She stood up, arching her back to remove any final kicks before their long trek began.

“Y'all ready for this?” She asked him. He answer was his simple, contented grin, as he began to canter off alongside the side of the lake.

Applejack followed, noticing the path that led straight into the serenity of the Whitetail Woods. Completely enveloped by the trees, the warm morning light still bled through the thicket with ease, entrancing the mare with an almost overwhelming peace. The light from Celestia's sun bathed the beautifully natural plants, producing some of the most vibrant greens she had seen all year.

To her right, was even-landed forest, with the lake not too far off into the distance. To her left, was a somewhat uncomfortable drop, down into the deeper part of the woods. She decided to focus on the path ahead of her. Well worn, and seen by many ponies in the past. It was a path well beaten, but still a wonderfully unique thing all the same.

As she controlled her breathing, the brilliantly alien scent of the woods overcame her. It was slightly disturbing to be among so many trees without the hint of apples, but she supposed that was the point.

To get away from it all for awhile. To have a bit of an adventure.

With Winter fast approaching them, the farm's crops had all but halted, and were well tucked away in granaries. With nothing further to do, and Applebloom staying with her friends for the remainder of the weekend, Granny Smith suggested (almost pleaded) that the two of them use one of the last few sunny days and enjoy themselves. It was then that Big Mac had suggested that he and Applejack go on a hike.

However, ever since they had arrived, Big Mac had been silent. Normally, in these conditions, Applejack would find that he couldn't shut her brother up. A regular chatterbox around family. And yet, even now, with her being the only other pony in miles, he remained quiet.

Something was on his mind. “Hey, Mac. Why did ya want to come out here, anyway?” She asked him.

“Granny was right. We could use a change in scenery. Help clear our heads,” He stated indifferently.

“Clear our heads from what, Mac? Everything alright?” She asked.

Big Mac stopped, seating himself before retrieving his canteen. Applejack doing the same. “I suppose they aren't. While we're out here I might as well spill the beans.” Applejack listened intently, a shiver of relief running down her spine as the water eliminated her thirst. “Things have gotten a bit... difficult with Cheerilee.”

Putting their drinks away, they continued on their trek, with Applejack trying to understand his meaning. “What do ya mean exactly?”

“She found out about the incident with Redheart awhile back,” He stated, sighing.

“Aw shucks, Mac. That's not even her business!” AJ shouted.

“No, it ain't,“ he agreed, groaning. “But lately Cheer has had this idea that I'm all hers, after that little stunt Applebloom and her friends pulled last February.”

“Well, you tell her that you have the right to see who you wanna see,” She suggested.

“Ain't that easy. One, I don't know exactly IF I wanna be seein' anypony right now, let alone between the two of them. And two, Cheerilee can hold a grudge, and I'd hate to see her take it out on AB,” Big Mac reasoned.

“Hey, if she so much as starts being unreasonable, you let me know. I'll set that mare straight,” Applejack threatened.

The two of them came upon a clearing, as low hanging branches formed a portal to a more open area. The mare stepped out, as her pupils shrunk in shock.

They were at the top of a ridge, looking down into the expansive forest, tucked within a bowl of stone and earth. The rocky faces of the ridge were still teeming with plant life, as various greens laced its every surface and edge. Her breath had vanished, and she found it difficult to return. The sheer elegance of life beautifully untamed swept over her, like the wind brushing past them.

In a fit of foalish delight, she yelled a the top of her lungs. Her shout carrying far across the ridge, as it fell gracefully into the pines below. A very pleased and excited grin found its way onto her face, as she looked gleefully as her brother, sharing a similar smile.

The thought of their height wasn't dizzying in the slightest for the mare. Rather, it was exhilarating. Something in her clicked, as she stepped ever closer to the edge, attempting to capture and envelop as much of the view as her vision would allow, and then some. Her heart swelled at the sight, as the sensation of loose, rough earth under her hooves invoked an ancient, almost primal content within her.

The two cantered carefully alongside the face of the ridge, following the now narrow trail, as it shifted its direction back and forth, stacking under itself in switchbacks. As they descended, Applejack's lungs were beginning to fill with the genuine, welcoming scent of the forest pines.

A large mass of earth had had fallen over the path, forming a quaint little tunnel, as they drew closer to the entrance of the next division of the forest.

“So, Mac,” She began, her voice echoing slightly, “Where exactly are we headed? Does this trail have an end?”

Big Mac stopped to sit at the side, ready for another rest after the copious amounts of switchbacks they had to endure. “Honestly, I dunno. As to where we're headed, there's a small waterfall not much farther from here that I wanted to visit.”

Applejack could sense the pain in his voice. “Mac, I know this whole situation with Cheerilee and Redheart is a mite screwed up, but is that all that's been buggin ya?”

After a long drought from his canteen, he shook his head. “It's not even really that, AJ. It's just, this whole thing has actually got me thinkin' about you.”

She readjusted her hat. “Me? What are ya talkin' about?”

“Applejack, I know how hard it can get some days on the farm. After all that hard work, sometimes even family can't keep ya goin'”

“What're you getting' at?”

“AJ, you've been workin' on the farm a lot lately. It's been worryin' me, and I guess I'm not the only one.”

“So? Winter's comin' up and we needed to make sure everything was rea--”

“I'm just worried that you're getting' lonely, sis,” Mac interrupted.

Applejack took a final drink before sheathing her canteen. “Lonely?” She scoffed at the idea. “Please, I'm not lonely! I got my family and my friends to keep me company.”

Big Mac stretched as he stood back up, cantering forward along the path. “You know that's not what I meant...” He muttered.

Applejack merely chuckled at him as they continued. Surely, he couldn't be serious. Of course she wasn't lonely! She had the best family and friends any pony in Equestria could ask for. Why would she be lonely?

The two of them soon found themselves amongst the cover of the trees once more. Looking of back Applejack gained a clear sight of the ridge. The height of it, the top of which they stood no more than an hour ago, seemed truly spectacular from that angle. The way the mass of earth towered over her was astonishing. The fact that she had been at its peak even more so.

She turned back around, immersing herself amongst the trees. The beauty of the woods was not unlike what she had experienced above, near the lake. However, it was lost on her, as her mind drifted to much more pressing matters.

Why would Big Macintosh worry if she was lonely?

Obviously because he was family and he was worried, but what sparked this concern? What had her brother convinced that she was lonesome?

Was she? She had her friends, and they have had their fair share of adventures every now and then. It's not like they didn't see each other often, at the very least once a week. Sure, she got engrossed in her work. Was that a bad thing?

The sound of soft, yet rushing water cascaded through the trees and her mind. The area around the path had grown wider, the tree become more spread out and apart. A small stream had met with the path, and the two ponies found themselves following the side of it, as it continued its fall from the ridge. The pines around her seemed to be slightly larger than the ones from earlier, and they had left more open space between them and others. One tree in particular, caught her eye.

It stood upon a small crest in the middle of a stream, with its water flowing around its trunk. The stream was rather large, and it segregated the soil, completely isolating the tree to its tiny mound of dirt. Applejack found this rather haunting.

There it was. A tall, strong tree, surrounded by what it needed to survive and thrive, and with its companions in sight. What was heartbreaking, was that while they were in sight, they were out of reach. It was still healthy and strong, and could see and talk with its friends, but it wasn't it truly there with the others. No, it was closed off to its own little world, completely secluded to its own devices. She began to wonder if that tree itself felt isolated.

A creak of wood tore her vision away from the poor sight, as she witnessed her brother crossed a fallen tree trunk over the stream. Catching up to him, she continued to peer at the lonesome pine out of the corner of her eye, until it was left behind.

The further they went into the forest, the more it became to wake. Applejack could make out several critters running about, anxious by their presence, but not terrified. She could make out families of squirrels chasing each other up the length of the pines. The signature chirps of various birds resounded throughout the tops of the trees, as the avian greeters awoke from their slumber.

The sound of rushing water was growing stronger, as Mac stopped upon the bed of a small river. “Here it is,” He announced.

Applejack looked upstream. The river fell from a series of boulders, each almost as big as a manticore. The very top must have been as tall as Sugercube Corner. Very stones was strewn about the more mellow section of the river, allowing them to walk on and across the current.

Big Mac settled upon one of the crests of a boulder, sitting on his haunches before retrieving his canteen. “I missed this place,” He mentioned.

Applejack took a seat next to him, on an adjacent boulder, a small but audible stream separating them. “You've been here before?” She asked him.

Mac nodded, wetting his throat. “Once. When you were about Applebloom's age, Pa took me here. Told me that hiking around areas like this were one of the many reasons he was proud to be an Earth Pony.”

“He took you out here? You were kinda young, weren't ya? Especially with that ridge. Why would he do that?”

“It was a lesson. He told me, that no matter how hard work may have gotten on the farm, that I should never let it get in the way of my life. That Sweet Apple Acres was a part of my life, not the whole thing.” Mac turned his emerald eyes towards her. “It took me way too long to realize that. That's why I brought y'all out here, AJ.”

“What're you talkin' about, Mac? I know there's more to a pony's life than apple buckin',” She retorted.

“Yeah, but that's not the entire reason,” He said, the roaring sound of the waterfall behind them drowning out the silence. He motioned his hoof to the small current between the two of them. “You're always so worried about others. You are the most dependable of ponies, Applejack, always there for others, but that doesn't mean there aren't others there for you.”

“I know there are, Mac.”

“And yet, you always keep your problems to yourself. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but when you keep stuff bottled up like that, Applejack, things get out of hoof,”

The mare scoffed. “Heh, this is comin' from you.”

“So you know I'm right,” He interjected. “Look, I've seen you go out and have fun, but you rarely talk about it. You keep most of your own issues tucked inside, while you shoulder the burden of others. That's what I've been doin' ever since we took up the farm. Tryin' to be the working stallion the farm needed to stay afloat, makin' sure I was a closest thing Applebloom had to a father, and makin' sure you didn't hurt yourself. It took me all that time to understand why Pa brought me out here, but I get it now. And I'm afraid that you're doin' the same thing I used to.”

“Oh please, Mac,” She argued, but she shifted uncomfortably, “I know I can count on y'all, it's just...”

Mac raised an eyebrow, taking another sip of his canteen.

“It's just that I feel like I shouldn't have any problems, ya'know? I've got a great family, great friends, and live in one ripe apple of a town, so why should I feel bad?”

“But you do...?” He asked, caution evident in his words.

“I...I dunno. It's nothing.”

Mac stomped his hoof upon the boulder. “It ain't nothing, AJ. You've always been there for my issues, when I should've listened to yours. You were always complainin' how I wouldn't open up, and now here you are,”He argued.

Applejack looked at him in shock, taken aback by his mellow outburst. She sighed, as kicked her hoof at a rock, absently watching it sink into the water. “Yeah, you're right. I... I guess I am kinda lonely...”

Her brother sat still, patiently waiting for her to continue. “I dunno Mac, maybe it's that things have finally calmed down. I know I shouldn't be working so hard. Applebloom doesn't need our constant attention, and Granny' still got a good decade left in her. Heck, we've gotten so good at applebuckin' we can usually clear a field in half a day.

Rainbow's been telling me about some rumors going around that two of her pegasus friends got together. Apparently it's kinda a big deal since they've been pining at each other for years now. Normally that wouldn't matter to me, but it got me wonderin'. Just when would it be time to pack this all up? I dunno if we'd move away or anythin', but I mean go out and start families of our own?

I mean a few of my friends have already been lookin' for mates. Heck, even Twi's been kinda crushing on a stallion, even if she won't admit it. And then hearin' you, you of all ponies, having mare troubles... It's just been kinda getting' to me. Part of me wants to go out and start lookin' but...” Her voice trailed off, before she took a long drink of her water.

“But nothin', AJ,” Big Macintosh closed the distance between them, wrapping a hoof around her sister. “We're young ponies, the two of us. Heck, I'd argue you just became a mare but... You have time. Don't be rushin' into things like this. Take as much time as you think you need. If there is a right colt, or filly, for you out there, they'll wait. You'll have plenty of time, but don't go getting' too absorbed into your work. I've done that, and you know how much that ate away at me. The farms isn't going anywhere, AJ. Flim and Flam gave us a mighty scare, but the farm is so afloat, its bobbin' up and down like filly on the first day of summer. I get that you're lonely, and I'll help out in anyway I can. All I ask is that you don't hide yourself away like this. We'll always be here, Applejack, all of us. Just like how you've been there for us.”

Applejack through her hooves around her brother, their hooves drenched in the stream that separated them. She didn't care, as she leaned against the shoulder she needed for months now. “Thanks, Mac. That means a lot,” She said, her voice shaken.

Big Mac brushed her mane. “It's what I was put here to do.” He stole a gaze skyward, catching a glance at the sky through the forest's canopy. “Hate to break up the moment, AJ, but we should start headin' back. When head out now, we should make it home in time for supper.”

She nodded, as the to of them composed themselves for the second half of their odyssey. The to made their way back on the path they came, the air about them much less stressed, and considerably more pleasant. As she took another gaze at the nature around her, she felt much more humbled as what she saw, the tension she thought she had released when they had first arrived, now seeping through her spirit, along with all her worries.

She took note of the massive tree, secluded by the stream around it. As she passed it once more, she suddenly became aware of its large roots, that dug under the water, and somewhat resurfaced on the other side. The tree was reaching out after all.

She grinned, looking back towards her brother. “Ya'know? We really should do this again, but bring Applebloom and her friends along. They might be a hoofful, but they might enjoy it.”

Big Mac laughed. “Or they'd be so intent on getting a hiker cutie mark they wear themselves out within the first quarter.”

Applejack giggled. “At any rate, we really should. I thought the farm was relaxing, but this is just that kinda soul searchin' I need,” She mentioned wistfully, losing herself in the warm embrace of the trees.

Big Mac looked at her with a sly grin. “Relaxin'? Remember, we still have to climb back up the ridge.”

Author's Note:

WHOOO, Longest One-Shot so far! So I gonna answer this right away. The two friends that RD was talking about is Thunderlane and Blossomforth. As to who Twi is crushing on, that's a secret :ajsmug:

Comments ( 5 )

This is the essence of SOL. Well done.

Pretty good bit of atmosphere in this. Think there was a typo or two right near the beginning, a 'clam' definitely.

I love it, Dege! It's wonderful and fills the Slice of Life tag perfectly.:pinkiehappy:

3357916 I was seriously conflicted of whether or not this constituted as an adventure or not :twilightblush:


But thank you!

Heartwarming with beautiful imagery, Nice use of symbolism.

Login or register to comment