• Published 11th Oct 2013
  • 12,217 Views, 382 Comments

Speak Now Or... - The Tyrannical



Hi, my name is Andrew. I was supposed to get married, but instead I somehow managed to travel to a hostile alien world.

  • ...
38
 382
 12,217

Chapter Ten

Dusty Ore and Coral trotted through the streets, carrying out their orders. Coral's horn glowed, coating his magic around his companion's throat, so as to amplify his voice among the crowd, "Attention, citizens of the Crystal Empire! Due to an emergency, we require that everypony return to their homes and lock their doors for the rest of the day. Repeat: return to your homes, and lock your doors for the rest of the day. This is not a drill."

Coral quietly mulled to himself as Dusty's voice echoed out. The forced curfew of the citizens only served to rub salt in his wounds from their earlier defeat. All he could do was consider what they could have done differently to subdue the abnormal animal.

Dusty noticed Coral's sullen look, waiting for the magic to fade from around his neck so he could console him, "I'm not any happier about this either."

"I know," Coral replied, snapping to attention. "I wish I still had my helmet."

"Good thing it's the chest-plate that augments the color of your coat. You'd stick out like a spot of shaved hair with the rest of us guards," Dusty chuckled.

The population around them hastily moved to their homes with worry and confusion visible on their faces. Such an abrupt order was unnerving.

Amethyst Glory was suspicious, to say the least. Her encounter with the strange beast occurred not too long ago, and she was positive that this fiasco was connected. Among the hustling crowd, she walked out to meet the armored duo. She was going to get to the bottom of this.

"Excuse me! Guards!" she called for them, interrupting their mission.

Dusty answered, "Yes ma'am, what is— oh," he gulped, realizing who it was. "Hello, miss Glory."

"Yes, just what is all this about?" she huffed. "What is happening that requires us to lock ourselves in?"

Coral put on his best stoic face before answering, "At this time, we can not divulge that information to you. Rest assured, the Crystal Guard will take care of the matter shortly, but right now we need full cooperation from you and the rest of the citizens to ensure your well-being."

Amethyst whinnied at his rehearsed answer. "Don't give me that. I know what this is about! This is because of that creature I saw lurking around our empire, isn't it?"

She missed the slight dilation of the guard's eyes as Dusty tried to think of a way to calm her down quickly. "Please calm down and return to your home, miss Glory. There is no need to be alarmed."

"Oh really? Then it shouldn't be a problem for you to tell what's going on," she loudly stated for the passing crowd to hear. "As a citizen of the Crystal Empire I demand that you tell us!"

Curse this mare's nosiness! Dusty spat in his mind, tossing a look to his cohort in armor. Her commotion was turning the heads of several others, much to his dismay.

Coral tried again, "As I have stated before, we have the situation under control. But at this time we require your full cooperati—"

"No. As a citizen of the Crystal Empire, I have a right to know what is going on. We all do!" Amethyst blurted out for all to hear. "Would you really keep it a secret if Sombra's minion was on the run!?"

Her words didn't go unnoticed. Ponies stopped in their tracks upon hearing the name of their ex-enslaver, wide-eyed and slack-jawed. Before anypony knew it, mares and stallions were flocking around Dusty and Coral, shouting similar complaints.

The crowd steadily grew in size and volume, surrounding Amethyst Glory and the guardian duo. Amethyst inwardly celebrated, knowing that causing this outburst could finally give her the truth.

Coral and Dusty shared a calm look, communicating that they both knew this situation needed to be quelled immediately. Dusty stepped up to Amethyst before attempting to contend with the notorious whistle-blower, and cleared his throat. He wanted to make sure everypony heard his response, "Since you all want the truth, we will confess. There is an aggressive individual running rampant around our home."

A unanimous gasp from the masses sounded.

"Yes. Unfortunately, earlier today a minotaur entered the Crystal empire. He is now on a rampage through our city, and we are all doing our best to detain him," Dusty explained. "But that is all it is, an enraged bovine. There is no agent of Sombra, and Sombra won't be returning ever again."

A collective sigh of relief escaped from everypony.

Dusty continued, "But as we have already told you, we must ask you all to please return to your homes until further noti—"

"Now hold on just a second!" Amethyst butted in. "I have seen this being with my own two eyes! It was no minotaur that I saw!"

That gave the two guards, and the mob, some pause.

"Did you now?" Coral inquired further.

"It walked right up to my house and knocked on my door!" Amethyst asserted. Coral and Dusty noticed the worried whispers amid the citizens.

"That is a wild tale you have to tell, miss Glory," Dusty said to her before Coral had a chance to respond. "But it wouldn't be the first time now, would it?"

Amethyst looked offended. "Just what are you implying!?"

Coral smirked ever so slightly, and raised his voice for all to hear, "We've done this dance before, miss Glory. The snow yeti's, the murder accusations; You've had plenty of outbursts exactly like this before."

"Wha— I— How dare you! I know what I saw!" Amethyst fumbled with her words. The crystalline crowd looked less convinced as Dusty Ore went on.

"I mean no offense when I say this miss Glory, but you have a knack for crying 'wolf' when there is none to be seen." Dusty could faintly hear the hushed agreements of the mob. "But now is not the time for any arguments. Regardless of what the creature is, and I assure you it is an enraged minotaur, what we need right now is not a riot. We need for all of you to retreat to the safety of your houses."

The muttering sounds of agreement came from the citizens, and trickled away from the throng little by little.

"Wait! I'm not lying, I swear!" Amethyst could only sputter as the ponies began to disperse, begging for somepony to listen to her. She tried to argue her point to anypony who walked past, but they simply ignored her or shot a dirty look in her direction. It wasn't long before Amethyst slumped to her haunches, alone in the streets.

"Now please, go home Miss Glory," Dusty requested. "It's not safe outside."

Dusty, proud of his work, trotted away from the dejected mare alongside his armored counterpart. It wasn't long until the smug guard turned to find Coral glaring daggers at him.

"What?"

"That was a low blow, Dusty," he whispered to him disapprovingly.

Dusty narrowed his eyes. "Would you rather we let her cause an uproar? One of us had to do something and it wasn't as though you were thinking of any ideas."

"We're supposed to protect the citizens, not render them crestfallen," Coral scolded.

Dusty snorted. "Spare me your criticism, white knight. You know as well as I do that we need to step on some hooves every now and then if we want to help others."

"That doesn't excuse what you did," Coral chastised.

"Oh I'm sorry, were you going to do something about it?" Dusty mocked. "Because I saw your slack-jawed stare before I took care of it. You really looked ready to spring into action."

"You're missing the point, you foal!"

"Oh, am I!? The point was to get the job done, and that's what I did!"

The two locked eyes, daring the other to say more. Before their quarrel could continue, a shadow quickly passed over the both of them, cutting their heated conversation short. The two drones turned their gaze skyward to find the pegasus guards, all soaring in one direction and homing in on one point. One of which Coral recognized.

"Lithosphere!" Coral shouted to the nearest one. "What's going on?"

"Oh, Coral! Dusty!" the pegasus named Lithosphere noticed them. "The target has been sighted! You two better come along, We're going to need your help!" he yelled from the sky before taking off once again.

Coral and Dusty shared one last glower before they followed after Lithosphere.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Amethyst watched helplessly when the crowd dispersed. Not a single pony had believed her, no matter how much she begged for their trust.

It didn't take long for everypony to disappear from sight, and for the shrewd sound of the guard's voice to address her again, "Now please, go home miss Glory. It's not safe out here."

Amethyst could hear the gloating within his sentences, boasting over his manipulative words which turned the citizens against her. She wanted to turn and give the snake of a guard a piece of her mind, but she couldn't bring herself out of her morose state. She doubted the guards were still behind her at this point, anyways.

"Won't anypony believe me?" she whimpered quietly. Did voicing her concerns really mean nothing to the crystal ponies? Was she really only known for being the mare who cried 'wolf'?

"I believe you," a familiar voice chimed in.

Looking up from the stone walkway, there stood Glass Pond, offering a hoof.

"Really? You do?" she asked, accepting a lift from the ground.

"I saw the monster too, you know. Certainly didn't look like any 'enraged minotaur,'" he smirked. "So yes, I'm a little interested in what they're hiding."

Amethyst Glory whinnied in frustration, "Well, why didn't you speak up when I was trying to warn everypony!? I looked like a fool back there!"

"Because the guards were right about one thing; the last thing we need is a riot right now," he calmly reasoned. "Don't misunderstand me, your heart is in the right place, but you're approaching this issue all wrong."

"Wrong? I saw danger, and being the kind mare that I am, I immediately tried to warn the citizens. How was that wrong?"

Glass Pond sighed, "That isn't what I meant, Miss."

"Please, call me Amethyst. There's no need for formalities," she paused. "Pond, was it?"

"Indeed."

The following awkward silence was brief. Amethyst scanned around her, plotting her next move.

"Up there," Amethyst Glory pointed to the heavens. "Look at them."

Glass Pond's eyes followed her hoof, seeing the many pegasi of the guard flying in the same direction.

"They're all off in a hurry," he commented.

"They must've found something interesting. Maybe the creature itself?" she grinned.

Pond raised an eyebrow. "Maybe. Why?"

"We should investigate and see what's happening."

Glass looked at her incredulously, "We're not even supposed to be outside, Amethyst."

"Do you want to find out the truth or don't you? This is the only way to know. Come on, we'll be discreet," she said before trotting away after the pegasi.

"Do you even know what discreet is?" he said, knowing she couldn't hear him. Reluctantly, Glass Pond followed.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dusty and Coral dashed to keep up with the pegasi in the sky. It wasn't long before they were lead to a small space between two gem houses. The duo could see that multiple guards were crowding around something, chatting among themselves. Though what it was the pegasi guards had found was hidden behind the armored ponies.

"What's the situation?" Coral asked as him and Dusty trotted forward.

All of them turned to face the newcomers, but only Lithosphere addressed them, "There you two are. Take a look for yourself," he moved out of the way to reveal a trapdoor with it's hinges busted and the entryway opened.

"A cellar?" Dusty inquired.

Lithosphere shook his head, "Actually, it's an entrance to the old slave mines."

Coral and Dusty simultaneously froze. "Why is there an entrance to the slave mines right next to a random citizen's house?" Dusty asked.

"Actually, there are random entrances all around the Empire. I've got one right next to my house, too," he explained. "But that doesn't matter right now. We have reason to believe that our target retreated into the mines using this entrance."

Coral's jaw dropped. "You can't be serious."

"I wish I was."

"Does the captain know about this?" Coral asked.

"If he doesn't yet, he will soon. I sent a messenger a while ago."

"That must prove it, then. The unknown creature must really be related to Sombra!" Dusty affirmed.

"What, just because it fled into the mines? We can't know that for sure," Coral discredited. "Maybe it just needed someplace to hide."

"Why would it need to hide, Coral? You and I both know how powerful it is!"

Lithosphere boisterously cleared his throat, regaining their attention. "There's no time to assume, or argue. Every moment we waste is a moment the target remains at large."

"Alright, so what are we going to do?"

"What else? The captain will obviously have us go in after it," Lithosphere stated as a fact.

Everypony else fell silent. Each guard in the vicinity nervously looked to one another, Coral and Dusty included. Their anxiousness did not go unnoticed by Lithosphere, who also shared in their unease.

Dusty Ore broke the hesitation. "Well good luck then, Lithosphere. I'm sure you can do it."

"Are you daft? I'm not going back in those tunnels," he denied with wide eyes.

"Way to opt out, chicken-wings," a nameless drone threw in his two-cents.

"Who said that!? I'll throw you down there myself!" Lithosphere raged.

The argument escalated quickly, and the entire crowd of crystal guards was soon engaged in a verbal battle.

But it didn't last long. Coral made sure of that, enveloping his own throat in magic and shouting over them, "Enough! Quit your squabbling!"

Everypony complied, and Coral deactivated his horn. "Bunch of foals, I swear. Arguing about something so trivial."

"Coral's right, this is ridiculous," Dusty sided. "Let's just wait for the captain's reply before we do anything else."

The guards gave a few groans of compliance, and waited uncomfortably in fear of having to go back down to the mines again.

Unbeknownst to them all, two citizens observed from around the distant corner.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"In the slave mines?"

"Yes, sir."

Shining Armor had read about those caves. Back in the day, Sombra's reign ensured that everypony did grueling work when they weren't catching the few hours of sleep he allowed. The massive labyrinth of tunnels spanned even larger than the entirety of the Crystal Empire. Not to mention it was poorly lit, unsanitary, and regulated by dangerous, mindless golems doing Sombra's bidding. Conditions were so horrible that some unlucky slaves never came back out alive. It was safe to say that being down there was the Crystal Empire's own personal Tartarus.

And the fact that the unknown alien retreated into those mines made everything a lot more difficult.

"Might I ask you something, soldier?" Shining discussed with his back turned.

"Yes, sir."

"Would you ever want to go back down to the work mines?"

The crystal guard thought about his answer. "I will go wherever I am needed, sir."

"That's not what I asked," Shining Armor wheeled around to face him. "Do you want to go back down in those mines?"

The messenger's stone-face visage finally cracked. Shining Armor could clearly see the pain in his eyes as he replied, "No sir. I lost too much down there. I figure just about everypony lost something down in those tunnels."

Shining gave a light sigh. "I see. Thank you for your answer."

Their scars were still tender, that much was evident. Sending any amount of soldiers into the mines would do no good. The psychological effects of being in there could inhibit their performance, and the large scale of the mines meant that they could search for days and still never find the intruder. It would effectively be a wild goose chase.

But he knew the thing couldn't stay down there forever. From the earlier reports of the raided markets, Shining Armor knew the creature needed food and water to survive.

Shining made a decision, "Relay this order to them; Keep a pair of guards near every entrance and exit to those mines. And if there's any sign of the criminal emerging, do not engage. Notify me, instead," Shining planned. "And under no circumstances should anypony enter the mines. That is all. Now go, and be quick about it."

"Yes sir!" the armor clad pegasus saluted before trotting out the castle doors.

Shining Armor made sure he was alone before groaning to himself, "What a nuisance this thing is. At this rate it actually will turn out to be a servant of... of..."

His wife's words echoed, Unless Sombra himself comes back from the dead, try not to wake me.

Shining Armor pushed the thought out of his head. Sombra wasn't returning, and he had the situation under control. All they needed to do was wait, and waking his wife wouldn't help with that. Besides, Cadence still needed her rest.

I can tell her everything when she wakes up on her own, he convinced himself. For now, I need to stay ready in case the monster shows himself again.

Not much was known about the individual, but one thing was crystal clear to Shining. Who or whatever this outlaw was, it was either very smart, or incredibly lucky.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

For the third time since I entered these stupid caves, I walk face-first into a hanging rock outcropping.

"Fuck my life," I hiss in pain.

Author's Note:

Well this took stupidly longer than it should have, and I'm stupid for making you wait such a stupid amount of time.

Being serious for a second, you guys have no idea how flattered I am that you're reading my story. I didn't expect this story to be nearly as popular as it is today.

From the bottom of my intestines heart, thank you so much for reading. I lahv you all.

And please, tell me what you liked about the chapter in the comments! Or if that isn't your style, tell me what you don't like about the chapter in the comments! Any feedback at all helps.

Or if feedback isn't your style, tell me your favorite movie in the comments. Just speak up! I won't bite.