• Published 27th Sep 2013
  • 1,209 Views, 3 Comments

A friendly enemy (Rewritten) - Cone of Wonders



Fluttershy comes across an injured changeling and attempts to help it. After taking it in the changeling reveals a secret that could either change the relationships between ponies and changelings, or start a war.

  • ...
1
 3
 1,209

A lucky break

Pain. That was the first thing that 011 could feel once he gained conciousness. Then came confusion. How was he even still alive? Chimeras are vicious monsters that stop at nothing to get its next meal, and last he remembered, he wasn't putting up much of a fight. Had it something to do with that voice he had heard the second before he blacked out? However the weirdness of the situation didn't end there as he soon realised where he was. Inside a cottage. A pony one too to his great misfortune. He was lying right on a pink couch. Yet, something did not seem right to the changeling. He looked to see his armor removed and his injuries wrapped in cloth. He tilted his head in confusion. Had this pony, or ponies... helped him? Why?

011 couldn't find a reason. Maybe it was possible that this cottage had been abandoned some time ago and that another banished changeling had taken residence inside of it? It made more sense than a pony helping him, that was for sure. 011 gave himself a few seconds to compose himself before attempting to get up from the couch. Banished or not, he was still a warrior. A few scrapes and bumps were the last of his worries. A few seconds of struggling was all it took for him to bounce and land onto the floor. Only at that moment did he feel the pain intensify tenfold on his two left legs, and fell almost at once to the wooden floor trying to hold back his groans of pain. Even trying to fly was a bad idea. Mostly because one of them had almost been torn off by the chimera earlier on, but also since the noise his wings would make would alert whoever was supposedly taking care of him. For now, stealth would have to be his element. He needed to find out who had taken him in as well as recover his armour
.
The changeling had done a full sweep of the bottom floor in only a few minutes. Nobody yet. The only intel he could gather was how much this... unknown being seemed to love animals. Something he found out as he entered the kitchen as he saw more than five different kinds of animals scurrying about, much to the changelings surprise. What was even stranger was that once he had made but a single step into the kitchen, all eyes turned to him. Now while it was normal for animals to instinctivley investigate noises in fear of predators they would eventually go back to doing what they were doing before. But this was not the case. They just continued to stare at him. It was beginning to get uncomfortable for the changeling. Eventually he made his way out of the kitchen, throwing the thoughts of what just occured from his head, and decided to check upstairs, hoping for a little more luck.

One other thing that the changeling didn't realise at once was that it was dark outside. It was night. He wondered how he hadn't noticed it before, but maybe because he had more important matters to deal with. The squeaky stairs did not help in the least. Even with this minor error he made it to the top without drawing any attention. From there, the drone began to check each room one at a time from left to right. The first two appeared to a a bathroom and an empty closet, save for the broom that landed on his head once he opened its door much to his annoyance, but the third room was different. Peeking in as quietly as he could he noticed at once that this must have been the bedroom. Someone was sleeping inside of it. And to make matters worse he saw his armor at the far end of the bed the creature was sleeping on as well as his golden locket.

The changeling's heart almost did a double take upon seeing it, and felt foolish for not noticing it when he first woke up. He even checked the area around his neck just to be sure he wasn't imagining things. All the more reason to reclaim his stolen items.

011's first thought was to grab his things and leave. But even so he was curious as his eyes fell upon his supposed saviour. From a soft mumble he managed to hear from the being, it was a female. The changeling decided it was only fair to at least take a look at this being, to see if it was in fact a changeling like himself, or something else. He slowly trotted over to the front of the bed where he soon got a view on the creature. Or at least her hair. Long pink hair. 011 frowned. Not a changeling after all it seemed. Dissapointment aside, he continued to trot over closer until he saw her face. It was a pony. But this one in particular was much much worse.

011 almost stumbled backwards from shock after seeing the ponys face, recognising it instantly from its yellow fur. One of the six element bearers! A sense of dread and panic gripped 011 for a brief second as he tried to calm himself down. Such misfortune indeed.

Managing to control himself, 011 turned back and went back over to what he came for in the first place, trying hard not to wake the element bearer. Too many stories he had heard of what the element bearers were capable of, taking on the toughest of monsters Equestria could throw at them. Hydras, manticores, even an ursa minor, he had heard the stories from the spies. All the more reason not to get caught. The thoughts of her being his saviour were forgotten, and replaced with captor.

"By the hive, of all beings that had to find me was an element bearer! Curse it all"! He thought as he picked up the locket and slipped it around his neck before placing his helmet on. With it, he felt more at peace and gained a sense of composure and disipline. The rest of the armor, his chestplate and hoofguards would create too much noise to put on, but it woul be even more difficult to take it all with him. He took another look at the pony to make sure she was still asleep before came to a decision, and grabbed the chestpiece. If anything, it would serve more protection than the hoofguards would.

Satisfied, he turned to leave, only to find a small figure standing in the doorway. 011 was about to blast it with his horn until it hopped forward where he realised that it wasn't an intruder, but oddly enough, a white rabbit. One that was somehow glaring right at him. 011 huffed at the small rodent before him and attempted to trot past it. The rabbit however had other plans as it hopped forward in front of the changelings front left leg, still injured, and hit it with its own leg, causing the changeling to snarl in pain.

"Blasted vermin"! He hissed as he tried shoving it out of the way.

The rabbit easily dodged his hoof and ran underneath the changelings legs, onto the bed and onto the pony where it raised raised his foot up into the air, ready to bring it down on the pony's sleeping body. The changeling turned round and saw what the white nuisance was about to do. "Don't you dare". Said 011 narrowing his eyes, trying to keep his voice quiet so that he didn't wake the pony himself. "Don't...you...dare"! And as though those words were the rabbits cue to act, the rabbit brought its foot down, multiple times on its owner. "You did". Said 011 with disbelief.

Author's Note:

Oh, where to even begin...

I suppose I should start with "I am so sorry" I've been rather busy with university and have been too focused to write this or any other of my stories. So much for a comeback. Anyway, it's the holidays now and I have more than enough time to get back into action on this site. Thanks for your incredible patience. Cheerio!

Comments ( 1 )

...Did you make the third chapter JUST to not do it?

Login or register to comment