• Published 5th Oct 2013
  • 566 Views, 13 Comments

A New View on Manehattan - Bookworm Guardian



Twilight and the gang go to Manehattan and meet some... interesting new people.

  • ...
1
 13
 566

Explanations and Embers

Author's Note:

Well, Bookworm returns with a new Chapter of "A New View on Manehattan"... a long time coming, aye? I've missed all of you, but now, I can say with confidence. I. Am. Back. And I'm better than ever.

The group was seated at the same booth where Rapture had tricked them. The aforementioned changeling had a look of apprehension scrawled on his face as Tinker swirled his cognac around in its glass, and the girls, sans Lunar and Fluttershy, leveled untrusting gazes at him when they were not focused on the engineer.

"Alright," said Tock finally, "I'm going to tell you a tale, and you'll keep quiet while I tell it, aye? Aye. Now, this was all after that fancy wedding, the one where a whole horde of changelings was forcefully flung from Canterlot's streets by a magnificent orb of magical energy. Now, you would think that this would hurdle them all back to the Changeling Viles, right? Not quite." He paused to take a sip from his glass, smacking his lips before continuing. "This little bug here lands smack dab in the middle of my workshop, pushing quite forcefully through several layers of solid brick. Now, not one to push away someone so obviously in need of aid, I took him in, nursed his wounds- and trust me, face-planting brick will leave a few bruises- then heard his story. The guy's not half bad, once you get to know him a little."

Rapture winked at the machinist, a faux blush forming across his cheeks. "Ah, Tock, you flatter me!" he cooed, throwing his arm over Tinker's shoulder. Tinker responded by removing the arm both promptly and placidly.

"As I was saying," resumed the engineer, "Rapture has been living with me for quite a bit now. He pays his way, helps me when I need his help, and is generally obnoxious when I need him to stay out of my way."

"Awww, I didn't know you cared!"

"...Shut up, Rapture."

All of this was a bit much for Twilight and her friends to wrap their heads around too quickly. They listened to the two men banter for a short while. Fluttershy piped up first, surprisingly.

"Well," she started, "I think that it's lovely that Tinker is giving Rapture a chance to redeem himself." Slowly, all of the others began to nod, almost reluctantly, as if they were not quite sure they believed Rapture's story. Rapture, as a changeling, could feel their hesitation to believe him and Tock. He understood it, so he said nothing of it. They would come around... eventually.

"So, since we're here, let's get down to business." Tinker placed his hands on the table, a fresh cigarette now in his lips. "You wanted repairs to those fancy goggles, correct?"

"Yes," replied Sparkle, "I was hoping that you might have a fresh perspective on what might be wrong with it." Seeing as how the two eggheads were talking business, the others decided to talk amongst themselves. As they all talked, Amber Brew approached the table, leaving drinks for all. He, too, eventually joined in the banter.

Some Time Later...

"...And that's why ya never let a hockey player borrow ya spanner set." Brew smiled as he finished his story, leading to uproarious laughter from the- now well soused- group.

"Ah, man, that one never gets old," said Tinker.

"A true classic, by all accounts," piped Rapture.

"Well, this has been quite a grand time and all, but wouldn't you say it's time we started looking for a place to stay? I daresay it's too late to catch a train back to Ponyville," quipped Rarity, her crimson blush contrasting with her alabaster-like complexion.

"Y... you could alwaysh shtay at my plache..." stuttered Lunar, who had never quite learned to hold her liquor.

"Look, I think I'm the most sober out of all of us," said Rapture, who, thanks to his insectoid body, was all but immune to the effects of alcohol, "I'll get everyone to the workshop, and we can all sleep this off there."

Little did they know, someone was watching in the shadows... waiting for people like these to come out and... play...

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment