• Published 17th Sep 2013
  • 4,627 Views, 551 Comments

Starring Trixie - metroid_freak



Join Trixie and her human friend Cole as they explore the galaxy in search for excitement, adventure, and where they truly belong.

  • ...
21
 551
 4,627

Severance Part I

I learned something very important the first time I woke up and saw Trixie snuggled up against me like a snoozing teddy bear. It took me a few moments but eventually, I figured it out: relationships of any kind always take some getting used to and my…well, our situation was no different. I don’t care what anybody says; no matter the situation, anyone’s gonna feel a little strange after committing to a relationship with a non-human. Even in a quadrant that could be wonderfully liberal about that kind of thing (usually out of necessity given the scale and number of humanoid species living in it), I was a sort of ‘pioneer’, and quite frankly, I wasn’t sure how to really…’go about’ it. Don’t get me wrong; I loved Trixie with all my heart but sometimes I didn’t know what course of action to take regarding certain aspects of our relationship, as unique as it was.

At the very least, I was past the rationalizing stage and no longer gave much of a damn about any moral implications, if you could even call them that. After all, Trixie was as much a sentient being as any in this galaxy and were it not for the fact that she was a quadruped, I seriously doubted if anyone would have even batted an eye. But that was it; she was different enough to be noticeable and I didn’t need any disasters to befall us should some bigot with a measurable degree of authority disapprove.

What’s a Starfleet courier to do?

As my head filled with doubts and concerns about our future together, I looked over at Trixie’s smiling, sleepy face, and as if banished by some mighty spell, all of those doubts and concerns simply…melted away. It was then that I realized that not only had the situation between us changed, I was changing too because of it. With her, any plaguing notions became much less threatening and I found myself smiling as I gently stroked her mane and scratched behind her ears.

“Guess this is just gonna take some getting used to,” I murmured as I reclined back beside the showmare, resting my head in one hand as I continued to stroke Trixie’s mane. There were so many questions to answer, most of them beginning with “what if”. Like, “what if” she goes into heat again? “What if” everything goes perfectly and she wants to get married some day? “What if” she wants…kids…foals…whatever? The future had gone from relatively simple to paradoxical; on the one hand, spending it with Trixie unobstructed by the thoughts that tended to rear their ugly heads at ungodly hours made the future nothing short of serendipitous. On the other hand, the concerns that reared their heads at ungodly hours also made the future rather scary.

I involuntarily shivered as my mind recalled the day Q prematurely induced Trixie’s heat cycle. I don’t know what was in those pheromones she was…exuding but they were something else. It had taken all of my willpower to keep from taking advantage of the situation, which surely would’ve resulted in disaster and a near-permanent state of resentment and general awkwardness.

Not to mention a me-shaped blast outline somewhere on the ship.

Since then, I had done quite a bit of research, dipping into the Federation datafiles on Equestrian pony physiology. As such, I had determined that her next heat cycle would likely begin in about three weeks, give or take a day or so. That gave me almost a standard month to make a decision. No, it wasn’t an easy or obvious decision! No one jumps into the sack with a member outside of their species that easily! Sure, there was Kirk but to anyone’s knowledge, he never got it on with anything as radically different as an Equestrian pony, sentient or not.

And yet, a growing part of me was curious to know what it would be like, to share an intimate moment with something…someone so different and so similar at the same time. While it was true that Erica had been generous enough to provide me with some experience in the matter of intimate relations, the irony that said experience was almost irrelevant was not lost on me.

The funny part of it all was that deep down, if Trixie ever felt inclined to explore our relationship intimately, I knew I would not deny her the experience. There really was no way I could; I loved her and was willing to do anything for her, as I’d already proven time and time again. The other funny part of it all was that, slightly deeper down, I knew that…well, it might be fun.

I shook my head and allowed another yawn to escape, stifling it as best I could to avoid waking my slumbering companion. It was time to get up and check the schedule and for any Starfleet transmissions I might’ve missed whilst asleep. I dressed and headed for the mess hall, my stomach grumbling for a decent-sized bowl of Crispy Chex.

“Damnit,” I muttered as I checked the small storeroom, finding it entirely devoid of delicious breakfast cereal. What was it about Crispy Chex that made it unreplicateable, anyway? Maybe whatever made them taste better than life itself was so unfathomably complex that even a modern computer couldn’t determine the chemical makeup. Or maybe my replicators just sucked. Either way, my morning was off to a decidedly poor start.

“Computer, Andorian hot chocolate on the double,” I murmured with a yawn in front of the mess hall replicator. I rolled my eyes as a mug the size of an ice-cream pail appeared. “I said on the double, not double-sized!” I exclaimed, wondering how in the galaxy I was gonna finish it all by myself. For a moment, I considered recycling the damn thing until I remembered the damage to my power relays. I had to keep replicator usage to a bare minimum until I could get some replacements. That meant more Credits, Credits that, after getting the Waverider shuttle outfitted with new gear (‘cause you just never know), were thoroughly absent from my account. We needed another job and fast, an endeavor in which I was more than willing to engage once again.

Unfortunately, my enthusiasm and work ethic didn’t solve the problem at hand; what was I to do with a gallon of hot chocolate? As I stood there like a moron by the replicator, the answer finally wormed its way into my sleep-addled mind.

“Computer, coffee mug, large-sized, light-blue.” I stated, taking it soon after it appeared. Grinning, I carefully poured as much hot chocolate into the new mug as it could comfortably accommodate, and headed back to my…our quarters. Seeing Trixie still asleep, I set the mugs on my bedside table and sat beside her, stroking her mane gently as I’d done upon waking up. “Hey, sleepyhead,” I murmured, giving one of her ears an affectionate scratch.

Mmffffphmm…” she murmured, stirring slightly under the massaging touch of my fingertips. “…s’nice. Keep…going…” she added, a smile forming on her muzzle. All the while, I used my free hand to grab her hot chocolate and wave it close to her nose. Sure enough, she took several deep sniffs and her eyes slowly opened.

“‘Morning, sleeping beauty,” I greeted, setting the mug on the table as she slowly rolled onto all fours.

“If you’re fishing for a kiss, forget it. Trixie hasn’t brushed her teeth yet.” she replied with a yawn as she stretched her tired limbs.

“Well, that’s very considerate of you but can’t I do something nice for my…” I paused briefly; as ridiculous as it sounds, I wasn’t quite ready to use the term ‘marefriend’ yet. Another stupid hang-up to add to the list. “…companion just because I feel like it?” I quickly finished before she had a chance to take note of my hesitation.

“Trixie (yawn) forgives you,” she replied, giving me a light peck on my cheek before getting up and heading for the washroom.

“For what?”

“For being you.” She gave me a small smile, making me grin and shake my head. She was just entering the washroom when she stopped and looked over her shoulder at me with a concerned expression. “…Trixie is your marefriend, right?” she asked, taking me by surprise.

“Of course you are,” I assured her as I stood up and went over to her. I knelt beside her and gently placed an arm around her. “What makes you think otherwise?” She looked back up at me and kissed me, backing off slowly with a smile on her muzzle and a red tint on her cheeks.

“It’s nothing. Please forget Trixie said anything.” I have to admit that I had my doubts. When a woman says that nothing’s wrong, there’s a 150 percent chance that she means the exact opposite. Nevertheless, her smile seemed genuine and within seconds, my fears were more or less assuaged.

“Alright, if you’re sure.” I replied as she entered the washroom. Then, almost as an afterthought, I gently reached forward and grasped her shoulder, halting her. “Just…don’t forget that if there ever is anything you wanna talk about…I’m always here for you.” I assured her, looking deeply into her eyes with the most sincere expression I could muster.

“Thanks,” she replied with a nod before disappearing into the washroom.

With Trixie occupied with her morning routine, I had the perfect opportunity to indulge in my morning routine. In this case, I was tasked with doing a routine check of our accounts and using what I gleaned from that little chore to decide what our next course of action would be. It didn’t look like Starfleet had any assignments for us at the moment so it was just a matter of choosing where to go next. The question was, in light of our current unemployment, where could we go that might provide us with some kind of work? Just to be safe, I decided to check the accounts first; no sense charging headlong into a plan without figuring out how much needed to be done.

First on the list was Trixie’s balance. It was both painful and gratifying to see all the cute little numbers festooning her account. It was remarkable, really; in only a few short months of working and performing, she had accumulated a small but veritable fortune. I think it was safe to conclude that she had already surged far beyond her moneymaking capabilities back on Equestria. She was well on her way to establishing herself as an accomplished showmare and she had the Credits to prove it.

I sighed as I signed out of her account and logged into mine, knowing that the comparatively miniscule balance would wrack my heart with grief. Okay, maybe I’m being a little glib but I certainly didn’t like teetering on the edge so much. I mean, it wasn’t my fault that everything in the Goddamn universe wanted to eat my face but one of these days, it sure would be nice to be financially secure. I knew that Trixie wouldn’t hesitate for a second to help me out if I needed it but I refused to let her waste her hard-earned cash on me, especially since I had promised to watch over her. It may have been quite a while back and the situation may have changed quite radically but a promise was a promise. Besides, I wasn’t too worried; these situations were always temporary and…

“What the Hell!?” I shouted as I stared slack-jawed at my balance. Instead of the usual modest amount, I found myself trying to accept the fact that my account was practically empty.

“What is it?” Trixie asked, poking her head out of the washroom as I hurriedly checked the account history. “What’s wrong, Cole?” Using her magic to wrap her towel around her head, she joined me in front of my room’s viewscreen and examined it closely. She looked up at me with great concern. “Cole…where did all your Credits go?”

“That’s what I’m gonna find out,” I grumbled as I quickly checked the account history. “Aha!” I exclaimed as I found the source of the problem. “Wait what!?”

I couldn’t believe what I was looking at.

“Cole…” Trixie murmured as she leaned in to examine the screen. “What’s a ‘Quark’?”

“Well, Trix, you’re about to find out,” I replied as one of my hands balled into a fist. “We’re headed for Deep Space Nine!”

***

Trixie’s personal log, Stardate…something or other. We’ve been at warp for almost five days straight. Now I know why it’s called “Deep Space Nine”. Still, Trixie can’t complain too much; she’s had plenty of time to study some new spells and even the occasional tidbit about the Federation. Last night, Trixie decided to study up on some of the other star-ships that make up the Federation. Usually, Trixie doesn’t care much for studying human technology but fortunately, Cole was able to find a simple yet informative holodeck program. Apparently, it was part of an introductory class on Starfleet assets taught at a school called “Starfleet Academy” back on Earth in a city called “San Francisco”. It sounds like an interesting city and Cole has promised to take Trixie there sometime.

Speaking of Cole…

He seems different these days, as if there’s something on his mind, something bothering him. If that’s the case, he’s keeping it o himself. He hasn’t been unpleasant or anything; if anything, he’s been trying really hard to be extra-romantic towards Trixie…I mean, me. I know he loves me but it’s almost like he’s doubting something. I don’t know what it is but it’s probably best if I let him tell me and not press the issue. When he’s ready to tell me, I’ll be ready to listen. (End recording)

Acting captain’s personal log, Stardate “DS9 is way too fracking far away”. Our trip has been great (for a change), mostly due to the peace, quiet, and distinct lack of tsundering. Oh, and the lack of aliens wanting to liquefy us doesn’t hurt. We should be there late evening tomorrow, meaning that I’ll have to wait until the day after to visit my dear friend Quark. And by “dear friend”, I mean the greedy little hobgoblin who’s been siphoning our…I mean, my precious Credits for the past few months under the guise of “Breach of Contract”. I’d like to breach the little imp’s skull. (End recording)

Trixie’s personal log, Stardate “Are we there yet?” I’ve spent most of my time in the holodecks brushing up on some personal defensive spells. Although Cole did a pretty good job of programming some enemies for me to practice against, I have the feeling that he made them a little too easy for me. I mean, I know he’s just looking out for me but I always keep the safeties on. My magic has returned to full power and I feel great. He has no reason to worry about me, yet he does. I guess that’s normal considering our relationship is still pretty new but I wish he’d stop worrying about me and focus on whatever’s bothering him instead. (End recording)

Acting captain’s log, Stardate “Only 26 hours ‘til we get there!” I think being cooped up in here for six straight days is beginning to take its toll. I think its forcing me to overthink things. Sure, we’ve been keeping as active as possible and spending great time together but if we don’t get there soon, I’m gonna jump out an airlock. This isn’t the longest time I’ve ever spent alone and at warp but this is the first time I’ve ever had personal issues nagging at me, issues that conflict with what I’ve been brought up to believe. Maybe I’m not as at peace with everything as I thought. Then again, maybe I’m just overthinking everything again. Yeah, that sounds right…well, sounds better, anyway. (End recording)

Trixie’s personal log. According to Cole, we’re only 26 hours away as long as the engines hold up. Something’s definitely been bothering him lately; Trixie can feel it in the air. He’s been wonderful and cuddly and everything but there’s still something on his mind. It seems to be more pronounced right before bed actually, and Trixie can’t help but wonder if that has something to do with his anxiety. I know he loves to hug me and hold me but he always seems ‘hesitant’ at the same time.

It’s like…there’s something he wants to ask, something important, something making him uncomfortable, but every time he wants to ask or say it, he freezes up and decides not to. He does the same thing if we kiss and cuddle at the same time as if he’s afraid to do anything else, anything…more. Could that be it? Is he worried about getting…intimate? Trixie understands if he is; heat can either be really fun or the worst condition in existence to suffer from, especially if one is alone during that time. It can make a mare act ‘differently’ than normal, often dramatically so. Trixie hopes that the last time that happened, although artificially induced, hasn’t scared him.

I mean…I have thought about…well, doing that with him. That’s what couples do, right? Isn’t that one of the most important ways to show how much you love somepony? Trixie understands that we are very different and would never even consider forcing herself or coercing him into doing something he’s not completely comfortable with. Still…wouldn’t it be better if we did do…it? It might relieve some of the tension he’s feeling. Trixie admits that the idea is…exciting. Trixie hopes that someday, Cole will think so too. (End recording)

***

Despite the unfortunate fact that I had spent far too much time on the ring-shaped station working my ass off for a butt-ugly, height-impaired imp who profited from alcoholism and holodeck addictions, I had never been so happy to see the rust-colored installation in my life. An entire week at warp with heavy thoughts weighing on my mind was not a fun experience; Fortunately, I had Trixie at my side to help ease my anxiety…and at times, exacerbate it.

Not to mention that, despite my reluctance, that flank of hers was starting to look real friendly. While I was rather quick to attribute that to the age-old theme of being at sea for far too long, I couldn’t deny that it was on my mind, and continued to be so as we approached the station.

“About time,” Trixie commented as she joined me on the bridge, yawning from her afternoon nap. She stared at the viewscreen for a few seconds before looking up at me. “Where is it? Is that it?” she asked, pointing a hoof at the growing round structure on the viewscreen.

“Oh, sorry,” I replied. “Computer, panoramic mode.” Trixie’s eyes widened as a large number of assorted starships suddenly appeared all around us, most heading towards the bustling installation. “Yep, looks like your typical, average day at DS9,” I added as a Galaxy-class cruiser passed us, making a beeline for the docking ring. I laughed as another ship seemed to appear from out of nowhere, rapidly heading toward us and causing Trixie to yelp in surprise before it veered off and warped away. “Ah yes, I remember my first docking sequence,” I commented whilst sending a smirk Trixie’s way.

“Shut up.”

“Sure looks different without the gigantic Dominion fleet around,” I mused, bringing my hand to my chin thoughtfully. “Has it really been this long?”

“Since you were last here?” Trixie asked. “How long has it been?”

“Hmmm…about two years since the war ended.”

“It must’ve been terrible for you,” Trixie replied softly. “To see so much violence and death and…” She shivered, prompting me to place a comforting arm around her shoulders.

“Believe it or not, I was one of the lucky ones.” The showmare looked up at me in surprise. “Not everyone got to leave the station when the Jem’Hadar invaded through the wormhole, and I wasn’t even here when it happened the second time, although that was because of some weird wormhole aliens and a complete lack of communication between that fleet and their superiors but that’s another story. Suffice it to say, I was ordered to join all evacuating Starfleet personnel when the attack began and trust me when I say that I didn’t exactly argue with them.”

“W-what happened to those who didn’t get away?” Trixie asked quietly, as if afraid of the answer.

“Most who stayed were Bajoran Starfleet personnel who were then forced to work for the Dominion and Cardassian occupiers. Anyone who resisted…well, let’s just say that they didn’t resist for long. Some, like my good friend Quark, stayed just because he knew he’d have a monopoly of the station’s recreational facilities. Hell, a week before the attack, he ordered almost an entire freighter full of Cardassian Yamok sauce! Take one guess as to who the lucky son of a bitch was that got to unload it.”

“Trixie really wants to give him a piece of her hoof right now…” she muttered, her horn starting to glow along with the Amulet.

“Look, I appreciate the enthusiasm but let’s hold off on the somewhat-justifiable homicide for now and find out what’s going on for now. Okay?” I offered.

Then can Trixie teleport him out an airlock?” she asked, using those big, beautiful eyes of hers to sweeten the deal. I smiled and ruffled her ears.

“Maybe.”

***

We had been wandering around the station for almost an hour and I still couldn’t believe how different everything looked since I’d last been there. Despite my pressing need to see Quark, I forced myself to relax and give Trixie the best tour I could, given the myriad changes. Most of the old shops were still there but they, along with most of the station, had been modernized and upgraded to reflect a new age of prosperity, or so I hoped. These were unsure times at best and I hoped that the new look reflected better fortunes on behalf of the promenade, its patrons, and the residents of the station.

“The Cardassians call this station “Terok Nor”,” I explained as we made our way around the promenade. “It was originally built as a mining station, and was designed to process large quantities of uridium ore mined from the surface of Bajor.” I had opted to avoid getting into the actual conflict between the Cardassians, Bajor, and the Federation, and steered clear of the Occupation as well, knowing how much Trixie disliked hearing about such excessively negative things. Instead, I stuck with the historical basics; if Trixie wanted to know more, I’d be happy to enlighten her but until then, we could both do without harshing our collective mellows. Besides, I was fairly sure that Quark would be more than happy to do so anyway.

“So why does the Federation have it now?” Trixie asked.

“Well, the Cardassians abandoned it around 2369 when the Occupation ended.”

“Why didn’t they just take it with them? Isn’t this station really important?”

“I’m sure they would’ve if they were able to. For some reason, the Cardassians didn’t have anything that could tow something this big back to their space so they decided to just leave it. After that, the Bajorans petitioned for membership in the Federation and also requested Federation assistance in repairing and maintaining the station. It soon became a very important business, social, and military hub, especially after the discovery of the wormhole. Hey, there it is now!” I suddenly pointed out one of the promenade’s massive windows. Sure enough, there it was, the blue and white Bajoran wormhole, gateway to the Gamma Quadrant. And the Dominion, I thought as I shivered slightly. Even though the Dominion and the Federation had been at peace for several years, memories of those awful Jem’Hadar soldiers surfaced from time to time.

“Wow…” Trixie mused as she stared at it. “It looks kinda like the Equestria Wormhole but less orange!”

“Yeah, it does,” I agreed, nodding. “Anyway, Starfleet placed a man named Benjamin Sisko in command and as far as I know, he’s still the captain of the station.”

“Can I meet him?”

I paused to let the question sink in; since when did Trixie care about meeting Starfleet brass? I mean, sure, she had worked with Captain Remy and seemed to enjoy it, at least until the destruction of the Repulse but her sudden interest in meeting Captain Sisko still caught me off-guard.

“You…you want to meet Captain Sisko?” I asked in confirmation. Trixie nodded.

“Is it…is a bad idea?” she asked somewhat subdued, undoubtedly less-than-encouraged by my response.

“No! No, not at all! I think it’s a great idea, Trix. He’s one of the most well-respected officers in Starfleet and could probably explain things a lot better than I could.”

“But if he’s the captain of this entire station, wouldn’t he be too busy just to meet somepony he’s never heard of? I mean, he pretty much saved the entire galaxy from those Dominion guys! Why would he even want to talk to someone who hasn’t done anything like that!?” Trixie blurted as if suddenly hesitant. I smiled and gave her ears a quick ruffle.

“Are you kidding? Even if he’s never met an Equestrian pony in person before, I’m positive that he’d love to meet the one who single-handedly protected Starbase 39 from a massive Tholian attack, rescued a bunch of children from the Orions, and saved Captain Remy from the Voth all while learning how to control and use one of the most powerful items ever discovered! You’re not a nopony, Trix. If anything, he should be honored to meet you.” My passionate words seemed to do the trick; Trixie’s bashful smile quickly became her trademark confidence-laden grin that seemed to shout “Anything you can do I can do better”. I was glad to see it; it meant that the old Trixie was still in there and hadn’t yet been consumed the horrendous amount of angst that seemed to follow us everywhere.

“You’re right!” she agreed, stomping a hoof on the floor. “If Trixie can save space stations and create fleets of ships at will, then surely she can meet one human captain! After all, there isn’t anything the Great and Powerful Trixie can’t do!”

***

“Trixie can’t do this!” she hissed as I gently pulled her by the one of her front hooves towards the door to Captain Sisko’s office.

“Hey what happened to “I’m the Great and Powerful Trixie! I can do anything!”?” I hissed back.

“Trixie is…” She hung her head and sighed. “Trixie is…nervous.”

“What are you so nervous about?” I asked, placing a comforting hand around her.

“During her time with Captain Remy, Trixie say firsthoof how many responsibilities a Starfleet captain has. Trixie is afraid that she’ll bother Mr. Sisko and won’t be able to…put on a huge, free show for entire station…” she finished with a whisper.

“Is that why you’re so worried?” She nodded. “I didn’t know that’s why you wanted to speak with him. Well, now I know that he’ll be happy to accommodate. If there’s anything this station needs, it’s some good old-fashioned entertainment that doesn’t include excessive drinking or holodecks.”

“B-but Trixie doesn’t even know how to begin!” she stammered.

“What do you mean? You’ve done lots of shows before.”

“Th-this is the first Time Trixie has asked such an important pony…er, person for permission to perform for such a large…venue.”

“Hmm, I guess that would make anyone nervous,” I agreed. “Look, I’ll go in with you and introduce you and stay as long as you’d like me to, although I think that this would be a great opportunity to practice your marketing and business skills, don’t you think?”

“But Trixie was going to do the show for free.”

“I know and that’s awesome. Still, even if it’s free, a big show is gonna require resources and personnel that will need to be diverted from other areas to accommodate your needs. Captain Sisko’s gonna need your input and suggestions and you’ll need his in order to pull this off, and that’s not exactly my area of expertise.” I leaned down and placed my hands on her shoulders. “This your mission, Trix, and I have complete faith in you.”

“Y-you’re right,” the showmare replied after a deep breath. “Trixie can do this, Trixie can do this…”

“Glad you’re feeling better,” I said, pressing the buzzer on the captain’s door, causing the blue mare’s eyes to widen as she looked up at me in a panic.

“Wait! Trixie’s not…”

“Come in!” a pleasant, baritone voice called from within the room.

“Too late! Come on!” I hissed as the door opened, revealing the captain’s office and Sisko behind a desk, tossing a baseball from one hand to the other as he reclined in his chair. He caught the ball and set it on a small flat pedestal before rising to his feet to greet us as we walked in. “Hello, Captain Sisko,” I greeted as we approached his desk.

“Cole Stevens?” he asked, genuinely surprising me. Out of almost 2,000 people on the station, and he remembered my name? What were the odds?

“Y-you remember me, sir?” I asked in disbelief.

“Well, that might be a bit of an exaggeration. I saw a couple of interesting reports from Starfleet that mentioned your name and when you walked in, I guess that jogged my memory and I was able to match your face to the name. Still, it has been a while. Please, have a seat,” he offered, motioning to two vacant chairs in front of his desk.

“Thank you, sir,” I replied, taking a seat while Trixie simply sat on her haunches. “Are we interrupting anything, sir?”

“No, not at all,” he assured me, interlocking his fingers as he rested his hands on the desk. “What can I do for you, Mr. Stevens?”

“Well sir, for starters, I’d like you to meet my friend, Trixie. She’s from…”

“…Equestria.” Sisko interjected, though not so sharply as to be rude. “Yes, I’ve heard about you, Miss Trixie.”

“J-just ‘Trixie’ is fine, s-sir.” she stammered, apparently still nervous. Sisko gave a small laugh and nodded.

“You don’t have to be nervous,” he assured her with a warm smile. “You’ve made quite a name for yourself, as have you, Mr. Stevens. Starfleet has had nothing but compliments for you both, especially since your exploits at 39 Sierra and the Solenae Dyson Sphere.”

“R-really sir?” It was my turn to stammer. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing; sure, Captain Remy had been a direct witness to several of our little ‘adventures’, but I didn’t think he’d be so generous in his reports.

“Absolutely. Trixie, you’ve become a fine representative of your world. I have been watching your career with great interest and was hoping that I could ask a favor of you.” Oh, this was perfect! Who would’ve known that our exploits would actually endear us so much to the Federation, even if we at least partially deserved it?

“O-of course, sir!” It was difficult to judge if Trixie’s tone was one of excitement or anxiety.

“Do you still perform magic shows?” Sisko asked.

“As often as possible, sir.”

“Glad to hear it. Would you be willing to perform one here on Deep Space Nine?”

“Yes!” Trixie replied excitedly, cutting off any chance of a dramatic pause. “I mean…Trixie would be happy to.”

“Um, captain, if you wouldn’t mind, I have an appointment to get to,” I stated, getting up from my chair. “Can Trixie stay here and work out the details with you?” The captain nodded.

“Of course.”

“Great. Trixie, when you’re done, call me on the communicator and I’ll come back here for you. Is that alright with you, captain?”

“It’s fine with me. Please don’t feel like you have to rush, I’m sure Trixie has much to enlighten me with.” I nodded.

“Great. See you in a while, Trix.”

“S-see you.” With that, I left Sisko’s office and headed back down to the promenade with a new destination in mind.

As the door closed with a gentle hiss, Trixie returned her attention to the darker man sitting across from her. There was a sense of calm about him, as if nothing could make him panic or lose his focus. His vibes were calm and confident like Remy’s but felt more calculating and serene. It was an interesting phenomenon and Trixie finally began to relax in his presence.

“Catch!” he said suddenly as the baseball found itself aloft in the center of Sisko’s desk, the result of a gentle toss. Almost purely by instinct, Trixie caught the ball in a light-blue glow and carefully tossed it back to the captain, who smiled and set the ball down on its pedestal. There was something significant about the wordless exchange as if the simple action of returning a light ball toss had created a better understanding between them. Captain Sisko’s next question seemed to confirm the theory. “Well, Trixie, what can I do to help?”

Author's Note:

I feel like I was gone for far too long...

ANYWAY...

If anyone would like to write a guest chapter, PM me and we'll firm up the details. Thanks and happy reading!