• Published 17th Sep 2013
  • 4,623 Views, 551 Comments

Starring Trixie - metroid_freak



Join Trixie and her human friend Cole as they explore the galaxy in search for excitement, adventure, and where they truly belong.

  • ...
21
 551
 4,623

Severance Part V

Shining Armor had returned to keeping his eye on things outside the castle soon after the meeting had begun. Since then, he hadn’t had much to look after; he’d examined every square inch of the ‘shuttlecraft’ and kept a sharp watch on the two ‘humans’ left to guard it. It wasn’t until the ground-shaking that life became much more interesting. Soon after it began, several Pegasus guards had returned from a routine patrol, each in a mad panic about some massive ‘sky ship’ on a beeline for the Crystal Empire. As it came into view just over the nearby mountain peaks, Shining immediately sounded the alarm, rallying every guard he could get his hooves on to form up in front of the castle. To his surprise, the bipeds standing guard at the shuttle had done the same, calling for assistance using some strange device pinned to its uniform. It wasn’t long before the entire conference joined him.

“What is that?” Garak asked in awe at the enormous tri-winged tripod-shaped thing slowly coming into view over the horizon.

“It appears to be an Undine dreadnought,” Data replied. “Curious…the Undine are an extremely xenophobic race. It is strange to see one of the ships outside of fluidic space.” He turned to a dumbfounded Princess Celestia. “Your highness, are you familiar with this species?”

“They’re…Changelings…” she muttered. “But…where did they get that?”

“Sister, how in Equestria did that slip by us!?” Luna half-demanded. Data was about to add his two bits when he heard a sputtering sound over his combadge.

“…tenant Vorik to Captain Data. Do you read me? This is Lieutenant Vorik to the captain, please respond.”

“Data here. What is your position?”

“Underground, sir,” Vorik replied. “Ensign Halis and I were captured by Undine living in the mountains north of your position.”

“Acknowledged,” Data replied. “Stand by for now. We’ll send a shuttle to your location momentarily.”

“That must be where that…thing came from,” Cadence observed, staring up at the approaching ship. “But…how did nopony know about it? Surely, somepony must’ve seen it arrive!” She turned to Celestia, who sported a knowing expression. Luna must have noticed it as well, for she also turned her attention to the eldest alicorn.

“Sister…hath thou withheld additional information for the good of our world?”

“No…I mean…I did not mean to.” She took a deep breath. “Many years ago, a storm of great power awoke in the sky over the mountains, very close to the Crystal Empire. It was completely different from any storm in Equestrian history; not even the brave pegasi were able to quell it. Then, as quickly and violently as it appeared, it vanished, leaving only a collapsed mountainside behind.” Using her magic, the solar monarch created a holographic representation of the yellow, eye-shaped swirling storm. “I believe that storm somehow transported that ship and the resulting destruction masked its landing in the mountain.”

“Why could we not sense their presence?” Luna asked. “Especially considering how both of us are so in-tune with the living creatures of our world.”

“If I may,” Data offered. “I believe I have an explanation. That ship is emitting large quantities of antiprotons, which is most likely why you could not sense their lifesigns. I believe that antiprotons possess a disruptive effect when exposed to this planet’s energy field. I first realized this when I was able to use the communicator a moment ago, despite the interference from the energy field, which had previously stopped any ranged communication. I can only theorize that anything that uses antiprotons will negate most, if not all, effects or abilities granted by the Equestrian energy field.”

“Wait…are thou saying that our magic…is ineffective?” Luna exclaimed in shock.

“I cannot say for sure,” Data replied. “However, further tests must be conducted to either prove or disprove my theory.”

“Then allow Us the pleasure of disproving it!” Luna growled, looking like she was about to take off.

“Sister, this is not a time to act rashly!” Celestia warned, quickly moving to her sister’s side with Cadence in tow. “We must remain here, united, to defend the Crystal Empire at its heart!”

“We’re with you, Princess!” Twilight exclaimed, running forward to join her mentor, with the other five close behind. Celestia managed a small smile.

“I know you are, Twilight. I know you won’t let Equestria down.”

“You have our support as well,” Data assured them before tapping his combadge. “Data to Enterprise; send a rescue shuttle to the following coordinates, after which you will need to prepare the ship for an in-atmosphere engagement.”

“Acknowledged.” The voice on the other end was muffled but audible, reinforcing Data’s theory. Everyone looked at him.

“It my theory is true, then it may be necessary to repel the Undine…Changeling attack,” he added, changing his wording, thereby ensuring that everyone was on the same page. “…with more conventional means.”

“Finally! A chance to bring honor and glory to ourselves and our houses!” S’taass exclaimed with glee, cracking his knuckles.

“Huzzah!” Luna shouted, voicing her agreement. “We shall vanquish them forthwith!”

“Captain, not to sound ungrateful for your enthusiasm concerning our ‘problem’, but is it really wise to engage a starship with another starship so close to a settlement?” Garak asked of Data.

“Your concern is duly noted,” he replied. “Perhaps we may, to use a human expression, “have our cake and eat it, too”?”

“I’m guessing you have a plan?” the Cardassian pressed.

“I believe that if we reroute warp power through the deflector dish, we can use a tractor beam to push the Undine vessel out into space, where we may engage it without the risk of significant collateral damage.” Data explained, turning to the princesses, who were listening closely. “However, it will take time to configure the deflector. We will need to hold off the Undine for a short time without assistance from the Enterprise-E.”

“Consider it done!” Luna boomed, rocking the ground with the Royal Canterlot Voice. “Come with me!” she shouted, rallying several dozen nearby pegasi royal guards. “Together, we shall hold off that monstrosity, or perish in the attempt!”

“Sister!” Celestia called after the now-hovering alicorn. “Please…be careful.” Luna nodded and flashed her a grin.

“They shall not lay a hoof on Us! That, We promise thou!” With that, the lunar princess, along with a large number of royal guards, flew out to meet the incoming ship. Seeing the worried look on Celestia’s face, Data formed a plan.

“Data to Enterprise; launch all shuttlecraft immediately and have them engage the Undine vessel. Provide as much as possible cover for the Equestrians as possible.”

“The who, sir?” came the same voice as before.

“There are important members of this world’s military and political leadership currently engaging the Undine vessel,” Data explained quickly. “I have sent all available information regarding their physiology to the ship’s computer. Use that to differentiate allies from foe. Have all shuttlecraft give them as much support as possible.”

“Acknowledged, sir. Enterprise-E preparing to enter planet’s atmosphere as soon as all shuttles are launched.”

“In addition, reroute power from warp engines to the deflector dish and reroute all available remaining power to the shields.” Data continued. “Configure the deflector dish to emit a maximum-power repulsor beam and stand by for further orders.”

“Aye sir.” Hearing the plan come together made Celestia breathe a small sigh of relief.

“Thank you,” she said, facing Data. “I…I do not wish to see any of my little ponies suffer through senseless destruction.” With that, she straightened up and, with a resolute expression, stared in the direction of the incoming ship. She watched intently as magical bursts lit up the darkening sky, hoping that Luna was as of yet unharmed. “And now, I must join my sister in the sky,” she added, taking a step forward.

“If you’re going, then we are too!” Twilight exclaimed, running to Celestia’s side.

“I appreciate your enthusiasm but I cannot ask that of you. You must remain here and ensure the safety of the crystal ponies.” Celestia paused and steeled herself for what she was about to say. “If we fail…”

“You won’t!” Twilight immediately protested. “I…I mean…you can’t…”

If we should fail…” Celestia continued, with enough force to assert herself. “…then I need you and the others to wield the Elements of Harmony once again and stop that vile thing in its tracks!” the sun goddess finished with an emphatic stomp of her front hooves. There was a pause as Twilight and the others regarded Celestia with a mix of expressions, though shock and doubt were quite prevalent.

“Y…yes, Princess…” Twilight answered, her voice laced with resignation.

“Thank you, Twilight,” Celestia said with a small nod before taking off and racing at full-tilt towards the battle raging on the horizon.

***

Luna grunted as yet another yellow beam threatened to erase her from existence. The ‘android’ had been correct; while her powers remained, for the most part unchanged, fatigue was setting in much more quickly than usual, and the lunar princess found herself growing more and more tired by the moment. Still, she fought on, delivering searing blast after searing blast to the sickly-yellow hide of the massive ship. While she and her brave team were causing minor damage, she knew that it was up to Data’s plan to truly balance the terms of the engagement.

Her eyes barely had time to widen as several yellow beams suddenly converged on her, only to falter as a great shining barrier held them back. Luna looked up to find her sister repelling the lethal rays before dispelling them with a mighty burst of power.

“Tiring already, sister?” she shouted as the older alicorn breathed heavily through gritted teeth. “The battle is young!”

“You’ve always had a strange way of showing gratitude!” Celestia rebuked as they dodged another attack, diving and swooping out of the way in the nick of time. “What if…I had not come to your aid when I did?”

“Then We would possess a proud new scar, earned from glorious battle!” Luna shouted, apparently unaware that one impact from the deadly energy stream had the potential to bring her down. Concentrating on the area from which one of the beams was being emitted, the princess of the night let loose a powerful blast, destroying the weapon completely. “Beat that, if thou can! Or has Our sister at last become an old nag?” It was difficult to tell amidst the chaos around them but Luna was fairly certain she saw an indignant look flash across Celestia’s visage.

Celestia’s answer came in the form of a great beam of extremely bright, multicolored energy that made a searing strike along the ship’s side, obliterating several weapons banks at once, just in time for half a dozen shuttles to arrive and begin their own attack runs. There was a pause as Luna simply stared while Celestia smirked.

Hmmph! Thou were only able to do that because thou arrived later than Us!”

***

“Captain, I’ve found something you might be interested in,” Garak announced, beckoning for Data to join him in the nearby shuttle, which remained grounded in case of emergency.

“Yes?” Data inquired, joining Garak, as did an attentive Shining Armor.

“Take a look at this latest scan on the Undine ship.” Data did so, analyzing the information on the shuttle’s scanners.

“It appears that they’ve somehow adapted a runabout’s warp core to supplement their own power systems,” Data observed. “It is likely that the crash damaged their power systems, rendering them unable to make full use of the ship. They then captured the runabout being used by Lieutenant Vorik and Ensign Halis and integrated its systems into their own.”

“Is there a way we can use that to our advantage?” Shining Armor asked, his tactical side intrigued.

“It may be possible to disrupt its link with the rest of their ship,” Data postulated. “However, given the current situation and the plan we are currently enacting, I do not believe that…”

“Captain, I’m reading a buildup of antiprotons!” a crewman warned from his seat in front of another monitor. “It appears to originate from the Undine ship. I believe it is some kind of mass transport, sir!”

“What?” Shining Armor shouted. “Are you telling me that they’re trying another invasion?”

“It appears so,” Data replied, verifying the crewman’s report before tapping his combadge. “Data to Enterprise-E; the Undine are launching a ground assault. Beam all available security personnel to my position as soon as the Enterprise is in position and ready to engage repulsor beam.”

“But sir, what about the interference from the energy field?” came the reply. “We can’t transport through it.”

“There should be enough disruption from the residual antiprotons to nullify the energy field enough to transport, provided the ship is close enough to the surface,” Data explained.

“Aye, sir. The deflector has been successfully modified and we are beginning our descent. Expect the Enterprise-E within the next minute, sir.”

Sure enough, no sooner had the population of the shuttle rejoined the others on the ground in front of the Crystal Palace, the rounded bow of the former flagship came into view, causing more than one set of eyes to widen, and more than one jaw to drop. It slipped through the dark clouds in an almost majestic fashion, levelling out just over the city’s outskirts, with its bow facing the Undine ship’s port side.

However, the excitement from the Enterprise’s arrival was quickly overshadowed by the sudden appearance of hundreds of black insect-like creatures that Data assumed to be the infamous ‘Changelings’. Ponies screamed in panic and ran about in fear and confusion as the invaders began systematically hunting them down. All eyes focused on the center of the materializing wave of Changelings as one particularly tall example appeared. It narrowed its large eyes at the collection of ponies and aliens, focusing on one singular target: Princess Cadence. It smiled and began a slow walk towards them, surrounded by a wall of its troops. Data, S’Taass, and Shining Armor instinctively placed themselves in front of the princess, who surprisingly did not simply remain behind them. Rather, she boldly stepped so she was just ahead of them and faced down her approaching foe.

“Queen Chrysalis,” Cadence stated simply, eliciting a manic grin form the tall Changeling.

Princess Mi Amore Cadenza,” it replied in a feminine, hypnotic tone. “It appears that the jig is up. After forcing to scrounge for our very existence on this wretched world for 200 years, it has finally come down to this.”

“You may have a giant weapon of the sky and an army but so long as I am the ruler of the Crystal Empire, you will never get your slimy hooves on it!” Cadence exclaimed defiantly, stomping a hoof on the ground. At this, the changeling known as Chrysalis let out a sinister laugh, as did many of her subjects.

“And what are you going to do about it?” she challenged with a sneer. “Blast me with a cutesy-wutesy pink beam again? In case you didn’t notice, our very presence takes away most of your power!” As much as Cadence hated to even entertain the notion, the Undine queen was correct; every step Chrysalis took towards her felt more and more debilitating. “The only reason you…” She took a deep breath. “…stalled us last time was because I exhausted most of my energy showing your dear Princess Celestia the agonizing taste of defeat!” Cadence was about to retort when Data took a step forward.

“Chrysalis, I must ask you to stand down,” he stated in a surprisingly calm tone, despite the odds against them.

“And what are you going to do about it, hmm?” she mused with a smirk. “You’re just another biped who thinks the galaxy belongs to him! I have an army!” she added with a triumphant laugh. “You are hopelessly outnumbered!”

“That is not entirely accurate.” Data replied a-matter-of-factly, prompting a look of surprise on the Changeling’s face as her head jerked back slightly.

“What are you…?” Her question went unfinished as the area lit up with multiple transporter beams. Chrysalis’ expression barely had time to morph from surprise to shock as dozens of Starfleet security personnel appeared, each sporting either a hand phaser or phaser rifle. She grinned in defiance as the two nearest to Data aimed their weapons at her.

“Your feeble show of force is irrelevant,” Chrysalis dismissed with a snicker. “For you, all of you, are weak.” With that, she screeched and grew, transforming into a monstrous three-legged being with sickly grey skin and reptilian eyes. Looking down upon them, Chrysalis narrowed her eyes and raised her arms to the sky, creating a swirling force field around herself, pushing everyone back several meters. “And the weak will perish!”

“Ooh ooh, boss fight, boss fight!” exclaimed the pinkest pony in Twilight’s entourage as if eager to witness such an epic rumble, despite the consequences.

“Sir, we’re in position! Ready to engage repulsor beam at any time!” the Enterprise-E reported over Data’s combadge. Not wanting the impasse to escalate, despite Chrysalis’s best efforts, Data acted quickly.

“Order all shuttles to withdraw, and signal for the Equestrians to do the same. Engage repulsor beam immediately after they’ve cleared the area.” Data ordered, returning to his feet along with everyone else.

“Acknowledged.”

No sooner had the order been issued, a translucent blue beam leapt from the Enterprise-E’s main deflector, and held fast to its Undine target. All eyes beheld the scene above as the Undine ship, now being pushed up and away from its target, fought back, searing the Enterprise-E’s shields with yellow beams, but to no avail; the shields held, as did the grip on the Undine vessel. As large and powerful as the dreadnought was, it was simply outclassed by the vastly newer Sovereign-class, and even Chrysalis seemed to notice as the Undine stared in what was likely disbelief at the scene transpiring overhead. As the two ships slowly disappeared into the upper atmospheric layers of the planet, the Changeling slowly turned and glared at Data and Princess Cadence.

“This is it, Chrysalis,” Cadence exclaimed firmly, unwavering as she stared up at the transformed Changeling. “If you surrender now, we will allow you to leave on your ship and return to wherever you came from.”

“Given that you are at a considerable tactical disadvantage, I recommend you accept her proposal.” Data added.

“Thank you.” Cadence replied, glancing at him and giving a quick nod.

“You are quite welcome.”

Enough!” Chrysalis shouted, nearly deafening anyone close-by. She continued to glare at Data and Cadence. “You may have outmatched us this time but it is meaningless! You are a blight, all of you! It is our duty to cleanse this galaxy of all this is weak. And you are weak!” With that, the Changeling, along with all the others, faded from view, courtesy of Undine transporters.

***

Captain’s log, supplemental. The Enterprise-E has successfully driven the Undine dreadnought from the planet, whereupon it returned to Fluidic space. We’ve spent the last 48 hours assisting in any relief efforts necessary to restore the affected areas to their previous condition. Lieutenant Vorik and Ensign Halis have been recovering from extreme mental and physical fatigue in Sick Bay, owing to their extended exposure to the psionic drain of their Undine captors. We have also done a complete sweep of the planet, searching for any Undine that may still reside on the planet. While some might still remain, invisible to our sensors, it is likely that most have returned to Fluidic Space.

We have also thoroughly studied the ‘Crystal Mirror’ artifact that Princess Cadence informed us about, and have determined that the best course of action would be to simply leave it where it is, under the guard of the princesses themselves. As it has existed on their planet for 200,000 years without incident, I believe that it is in good…hooves. On a related note, we have also been discussing the nature of a potential future relationship between Equestria and the Federation. While it is impossible to make any commitments at the moment without consulting our respective governments, I believe that eventually, we will each become an integral part of each other’s way of life.

***

Data had just finished his log when the ready room door chime sounded, signaling the arrival of his expected guest. Before they left, Twilight had requested a tour of the ship, something that Cadence and the others had agreed to after curiosity had finally overcome them.

“Come in.” he called. The doors opened with a soft hiss, revealing Princess Cadence, flanked by two royal guards. Data promptly rose to greet her. “It is good to see you again, Princess Cadence. How have the relief efforts been proceeding? Has the crew been helpful?”

“Yes, they’ve been wonderful,” the princess assured him with a smile. “In fact, I can safely say that things are pretty much back to normal…well, as ‘normal’ as thing get for us, anyway!” she finished with a light laugh. There was a short pause as Data looked at her quizzically before responding.

“Ah yes, a joke. You were implying that a state of ‘normality’ does not apply to your situation, therefore anything that would, in theory, return it to a state of normality is a an exercise in futility.” Data surmised.

“It certainly seems like that at times,” Cadence agreed, smiling at Data’s ‘unique’ reaction. “I actually came aboard to thank you for everything you and your people have done for us. Without you…those things might’ve actually succeeded in taking over the Crystal Empire.”

“That is unlikely,” Data replied, politely disagreeing. “Even without our intervention, from what I observed regarding the abilities of Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, and yourself, I believe that you would have been successful in repelling the Undine, although the damage would have likely been much more extensive and the casualties much higher.”

“Thank you for your confidence,” Cadence replied sincerely, giving him a respectful nod before her head drooped slightly. “By the way…I’m sorry about the shuttle crews…perhaps if I had joined my aunts in battle, four of them would not have been lost.” Observing the subtle physical indicators of regret and guilt, Data chose his response carefully.

“Those who serve in Starfleet are aware of the risks, and serve according to their station with courage and distinction. While I agree that the losses were extremely regrettable, I assure you that their sacrifices will be honored and credited with the preservation of an entire world. They will be remembered as heroes, I assure you.” Data explained.

“Thank you, captain,” Cadence replied with a small smile.

“On that note, how are Princess Luna and Princess Celestia faring?”

“They are recovering well. They suffered some minor burns and magical fatigue but they’ll be fine. They’re in good hooves, don’t worry.” Cadence assured him.

“Excellent.” Data stated as his combadge beeped. “Data here.”

“We are ready to depart at your command, sir.” Lieutenant Vorik reported from the bridge, having returned to duty after a couple day’s rest.

“Acknowledged. Stand by.” Data replied before returning his attention to the princess. “I believe it is time for us to return to the Alpha Quadrant. Our superiors will undoubtedly want to know what has transpired during our absence.” Cadence nodded.

“I understand. Come back and visit us when you get the chance, okay?” she asked, holding out a fore hoof.

“I will certainly endeavor to do so,” Data assured her, carefully shaking the outstretched hoof. “I believe that learning as much as possible about each other will be very beneficial.”

“I believe so, too.” Cadence replied with a smile.

“Shall I signal the shuttle to return you to the surface?” Data asked.

“If you wouldn’t mind.”

“Not at all. Farewell, Princess Cadence.”

“Until next time, Captain Data.”

Meanwhile…

“I must admit that the last two days have passed for too quickly for my liking,” Garak commented, taking a sip of his tea as Rarity, the white-coated, purple mane-d Element of Generosity did the same, levitating her mug to her lips with a kind of delicacy and grace that only she could pull off. With less than an hour before the Enterprise-E’s departure, the two had met in Ten-Forward, the ship’s mess hall and lounge, for one last beverage together.

“My sentiments exactly,” Rarity agreed with a smile. “Your knowledge of haute couture is most impressive, especially considering the machines at your disposal.”

“I may have been born into the 24th century but I like to think I’m just old-fashioned enough to enjoy the simpler things life has to offer,” Garak replied. “I must say that your technical and entrepreneurial skills are quite remarkable. You are clearly a pony who knows a great deal about the fashion industry.”

“And you are clearly a…” Rarity paused as she tried to remember the name of his species; indeed, 48 hours was far too short to get to know someone properly.

“Cardassian, my dear.” Garak finished.

“Of course. My apologies.”

“Oh, it’s quite alright,” Garak assured her.

“Anyway, as I was saying, you are clearly a Cardassian with an eye for fashion and fabulosity as well. It is a shame that you have to leave so soon; we could’ve shared so much more!”

“I agree, but you know what they say about all good things, hmm?” Garak mused. “Still, you are right; I, for one, would very much like to stay in-touch. Perhaps if the Federation returns and sets up shop, providing your princesses consent to such, then I will be able to arrange a visit or two. Goodness knows how much they’ll need me, being a direct witness and having participated.”

“Yes, it seems that you will be rather valuable to the powers that be,” Rarity agreed. “Do try to write…or however you happen to communicate.”

“I will do my best.” Garak promised, raising his teacup. “Now, how about a toast? To new friends and wonderful opportunities.”

“To new friends and opportunities.” Rarity exclaimed, lightly tapping her teacup against his just as the doors opened. They turned to see Princess Cadence approaching; both Rarity and Garak respectfully stood up.

“It’s time for us to leave, Miss Rarity,” Cadence informed them. “We’re on our way back to the shuttle bay. I apologize for the late departure; it took almost all of us to pull Twilight out of their engineering room!” she finished with a small laugh.

“Yes, that’s our Twilight,” Rarity agreed before turning back to Garak. “I’m afraid that I must be going.” she added, standing beside the princess.

“Might I walk you both to the shuttle bay?” Garak asked. “Then I may bid all of you a proper farewell.” Rarity looked up at Cadence, who gave a nod and a smile.

“That would be marvelous, darling.”

***

“So…that’s it?” I queried, still slightly dumbfounded by the sheer amount of information Garak had so kindly bestowed upon me.

“What were you expecting? A climactic battle for the ages, pitting us against a thousand enemy warships like some kind of Klingon fairy tale?” Garak asked, clearly amused at my reaction to his tale.

“Well, I wasn’t exactly expecting it to end with a tea party, if that’s what you’re asking,” I replied, absentmindedly sipping from my long-empty glass. “Still…I’ve gotta admit that was a Hell of a story,” I admitted. “I mean, I knew about First Contact with Equestria, but I didn’t know much about it.”

“Ironic considering how you headed for Equestria less than a year after acquiring your ship,” Garak commented.

“I didn’t exactly ‘head for it’,” I explained. “I was in the neighborhood and needed a few parts. The Federation base on Equestria was the closest place.”

“And I’m assuming that that’s where you met this ‘friend’ of yours?”

“That’s right,” I confirmed. “All I had to do to convince her to come with me was crush everything she owned.”

“Ah, ever the ladies’ man,” Garak teased, prompting me to roll my eyes. “I’m guessing that the garment you want me to craft for her is a replacement for the one she lost?”

“Yeah, basically.” And maybe just ‘cause I feel like getting her a present. “I mean, she’s had to do her shows without a cape or anything. She hasn’t complained about it but still…she deserves something nice.” I explained.

“She’s special to you, isn’t she?” Garak asked bluntly, catching me off-guard.

“Yeah…she is…” I replied softly.

“Well then, who am I to come between such devotion?” Garak exclaimed. “Why don’t you fetch your friend and entertain her while I work my magic?”

“Sure, I’ve got one or two things to do anyway,” I said as we rose from our seats and began heading out, stopping just long enough for Garak to apply his fingerprint to a scanner, paying for our drinks. “How long do you need?”

“Fortunately, these are rather simple tasks,” Garak replied confidently. “Come back in an hour and they will be ready for you.”

“That’s perfect!” I exclaimed, pleased that my plan was coming together so well. “I’ll meet you back at your shop at 1800 hours.”

“And not a moment later, my friend!” Garak called as I headed for the elevator to Sisko’s office.

***

I found Trixie sitting outside of the captain’s office with a grin on her face that evolved into a full-on smile the moment she saw me.

“Hey you,” I greeted, giving her a small hug. “I hope I didn’t keep you waiting too long.”

“Not this time, for once,” Trixie replied, giving me a wry grin. “The captain just left, something about meeting an old friend in the docking ring.”

“Did he say who it was?” I asked as we walked towards the elevator.

“You get three guesses.”

“Okay, wisemare, I’ll play your game,” I replied. “But only until we get to Quark’s. I’ve got some…business to discuss with him.”

“Ooh, can Trixie help?” the showmare asked eagerly, her horn already lighting up.

“We’ll see,” I said with a nod. “I’d rather not have to squash the little weasel…but it’s always fun to play ‘good cop, angry magical marefriend that can make your skull explode just by thinking about it’.” Inside, I shuddered at the thought of how many times that could’ve happened to me.

“Well? Aren’t you going to guess? Trixie doesn’t have all day!”

“Okay, okay! Was it…Ambassador Picard?” She gave me a “Seriously?” expression.

“Not even close.”

“Can I at least have a hint?”

“Fine, fine. You’ve met him before.”

“Great, that sure narrows it down,” I replied sarcastically. “Umm…” I drummed my fingers against my chin as I thought about it. “How about…Master Chief?”

“Harr harr.” Trixie replied flatly. “Somepony’s been spending too much time on the holodeck. You have one guess left, by the way.”

“But Master Chief’s a…” I began.

“…pretty cool guy, yes, that one never gets old,” Trixie replied, rolling her eyes. “Now are you going to guess or not?”

“Alright, here I go!” I exclaimed, clapping my hands together. “Um…Captain Remy!?”

“Yes, how did you…know…?” Trixie asked, stopping beside me. Her eyes widened alongside mine as Captain Sisko and Captain Remy glanced over at us, the latter signaling for us to join them. She looked up at me. “That doesn’t count!” she insisted, trying to hide her smile. She was doing a piss-poor job of it; I knew damn well she was just as excited to see him as I was.

Especially considering the shitstorm our last encounter turned into.

“Well, if it isn’t Cole and Trixie!” the captain exclaimed before turning to Sisko. “Benjamin, you never told me you were harboring troublemakers aboard your station!”

“We aim to please, sir,” I added with a chuckle as he shook my hand before doing the same with Trixie’s outstretched hoof.

“I take it you three have met before?” Sisko asked.

“We certainly have, on a few occasions.” Remy confirmed. “These are the ones that rescued me in the Solenae Dyson Sphere and helped bring down one of the largest Orion slave rings in the last century.”

“So the reports were true after all,” Sisko mused with a slight smile. “In that case, how about we all get together for dinner tonight in my quarters? I make a mean Creole gumbo.” He smiled as both mine and Trixie’s stomachs voiced their support at the same time.

“Far be it from me to pass up a chance at a real, home-cooked meal,” Remy replied, summing up our positions rather adequately. “I’ve been eating so much replicated food that sometimes, I swear I’ve got half a reconstituted warp core in me by now.”

“Then it’s settled. We’ll meet at 1900 hours in my quarters.” Sisko exclaimed, apparently eager to show off his culinary abilities. “That way, we’ll be able to catch up and discuss your show tomorrow,” he finished, giving Trixie a smile.

“Sounds dandy,” I agreed.

“Trixie is looking forward to it, sir.”

“Perfect. See you both at 1900 hours.” Remy confirmed with a nod. With that, we went our separate ways.

“He looked…surprisingly good,” I commented as soon as we were out of earshot. “I mean, considering how he lost his ship and crew just a couple months ago…”

“Trixie hopes he’s okay,” Trixie added, a worried expression on her muzzle. “Trixie was with him when it happened…she didn’t think it was possible for anypony to look as sad as he did.”

“Well, if he is actually doing better, then I’m sure we’ll hear about it at dinner tonight,” I assured her. “Speaking of future plans, how did your meeting go?”

“It went very well,” Trixie replied, her smile back in full-force. “You were right; Captain Sisko is a remarkable human. He made Trixie feel so…welcome.” She lowered her head slightly. “Not many have made Trixie feel welcome before…” She shook her head and looked back up at me. “Besides you, of course!”

“Awe, I know,” I replied with a smile of my own as I leaned down to give her shoulders a one-armed squeeze. “It’s all good, don’t worry. So…give me some details, Trix; what’s going on?”

“Well…” She took a deep breath. “According to Sisko, a lot of transports are arriving tomorrow, which means the station will be a lot busier with people waiting for colony ships to pick them up and take them home. He said it would be the perfect day for a show because everyone will need a break after such long journeys!” Trixie could hardly contain her excitement as she practically vibrated as she walked. “Trixie will be performing for the biggest audience she’s ever performed for!”

“Awe yeah, way to go, Trix!” I exclaimed, ruffling her ears while scratching behind them just enough to get a happy hum from the showmare. “If this doesn’t make you the most famous Equestrian this side of the Alpha Quadrant, nothing will!”

“That’s just it, though,” Trixie replied, slightly subdued. “Trixie…I no longer care about fame or money or anything like that. I…I just want everyone to have a good time and enjoy my shows.” I smiled and nodded respectfully.

“Well then, how about ‘Most Appreciated Equestrian’ this side of the Alpha Quadrant?” I offered.

“Trixie likes that one a lot better.” she agreed as we stopped in front of a familiar sight. Well, familiar to me; in fact, far too familiar. She looked up at the sign and then at me, as if sensing my apprehension. “Cole…is this…?”

“Yep.” I confirmed, taking a deep breath. “Welcome to Quark’s.”

Author's Note:

And that's the end of the First Contact arc! About damn time, huh? I know I'm pleased to finally be done with it. Now we can move on with the crazy life of Cole and Trixie! What's coming up? Well, lots of crazy shit, to say the least. How will the visit to Quark's go? Can they handle spicy Creole gumbo? What is that Borg Cube doing there? Who the Hell did they kidnap from Equestria? Find out in the next few installments!

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Post 'em if ya got 'em!