• Published 17th Sep 2013
  • 4,616 Views, 551 Comments

Starring Trixie - metroid_freak



Join Trixie and her human friend Cole as they explore the galaxy in search for excitement, adventure, and where they truly belong.

  • ...
21
 551
 4,616

Severance Part II

“Incoming transmission from Vessel 6285. Downloading relevant data.”

“All relevant data received. Unknown energy type detected in Matrix 75 of Grid 8249. Dispatching Vessel 6411 and Vessel 9032 to investigate.”

“Resistance encountered. Stand by for rectification.”

“We are the Borg. Existence as you know it is over. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile.”

“Receiving tactical report. Vessel 6411 disabled. Vessel 9032 moving to intercept further resistance.”

“Resistance has proven futile. Vessel 9032 remains on course.”

“Detecting Type 4 Spacial Anomaly. Stable wormhole is present. Vessel 9032 moving to investigate.”

“Vessel 9032 has successfully traversed spacial anomaly. Previously unknown planet detected. Warning: resistance detected.”

“Analysis has determined that new planet is source of unknown energy type. Beginning detailed scans.

Scan complete. Total energy output from planet-based sources is immeasurable. Cannot accurately quantify output. Single source sample necessary for accurate measurement. Warning; further resistance detected. Vessel 9032 moving to intercept.”

“Vessel 9032 within transporter range of planet. Dispatching drones to surface for further investigation.”

“Receiving tactical report. Vessel 9032 has encountered significant resistance. Attempting to rectify.”

“Resistance encountered on planet’s surface. Retrieving relevant data from functioning drones. Attempting to procure local fauna for further investigation.”

“All relevant data received. Vessel 9032 has procured two wildlife samples. Warning; Vessel 9032 has incurred heavy damage. Recommending tactical retreat.”

“Vessel 9032 has returned to Matrix 75 of Grid 8249. Further resistance encountered. Engaging transwarp drive.”

“Vessel 9032 has incurred heavy damage to propulsion system. Attempting to compensate.”

“Compensation failed. Vessel 9032 has returned to normal space in Grid 8253, designation: Gamma Quadrant. Scans show no other ships within range. Beginning repairs.”

“Beginning biological analysis of procured specimens, designation: Species 8511.”

“Detailed biological analysis complete. Specimen Alpha possesses similar physiological traits to Specimen Beta. Accessing database for comparative species for further reference.”

“Comparison found. Assimilated Starfleet database confirms match. Species 8511: Equestrian Pony, equine-like species, source of unknown energy type. Specimen Alpha: designation “Pegasus”. Specimen Beta: designation “Unicorn”. Specimen Beta possesses superior energy reserves. Beginning detailed biological analysis in Sub-Junction 04 bio-analysis laboratory.”

“Resistance detected in Sub-Junction 04. Dispatching tactical drones.”

“Specimen Alpha has disabled Unit 78 of 645 and Unit 43 of 90. Attempting to compensate.”

“Further resistance detected in Sub-Junction 04. Specimen Beta has disabled Unit 60 of 234. Dispatching heavy tactical drones to compensate.”

“Compensation successful. Resistance has been neutralized. Beginning surgical analysis of Specimen Alpha.”

“Warning; anomalous energy buildup detected in Sub-Junction 04. Source: Specimen Beta. Attempting to compensate.”

“Compensation failed. Warning: power surge detected in Sub-Junction 04. Source: Specimen Beta. Attempting to compensate.”

“Compensation failed. Warning: hull breech detected in Sub-Junction 01, Sub-Junction 04, Sub-Junction 06, and Sub-Junction 09. Attempting to contain.”

Containment 86 percent successful. Damage to emergency force fields. Attempting to compensate.”

“Compensation failed. Regeneration required to repair physical damage to hull. Initiating regeneration cycle.”

“Warning: Vessel 9032 has incurred catastrophic damage to power systems. Recommend emergency system shutdown.”

“Shutdown complete. Vessel-wide drone regeneration cycle initiated. Emergency procedures activated in Sub-Junction 04.”

“Vessel 9032 has incurred heavy damage to subspace transceiver. Unable to receive further relevant data. Terminating connection until transceiver is functional.”

“Connection terminated.”

***

When I wasn’t being ordered about like a slave at Quark’s by a bunch of ungrateful intergalactic lowlifes, I did manage to enjoy some of my time at DS9. I hadn’t spent much time shopping, given that I was too busing squirreling hard-earned Credits away for a ship. Still, I had nevertheless taken the time to become well-acquainted with those worthy of becoming well-acquainted with. One of those, strangely enough, was a Cardassian, a tailor named Garak who operated a small, humble shop not far from Quark’s.

“Hello,” I called as I entered the shop, craning my neck as I scanned among the racks of garments for my friend. “Anyone here?” I asked, receiving no answer at first.

“One moment!” a familiar voice replied from somewhere in the back of the shop. I didn’t wait long; the Cardassian appeared momentarily, smiling as he saw me.

“Well, if it isn’t Cole Stevens,” Garak greeted, shaking my hand. “And how are you, my friend?”

Despite the fact that Garak was a Cardassian, a species not known for being particularly friendly, I had never been treated any way other than fairly and with courtesy. While I was only vaguely aware of his involvement with the Obsidian Order, more or less the Cardassian secret service, I wasn’t one to indict someone about whom I knew next to nothing, the fact that he had always been kind to me notwithstanding. We got along well; he bought me the occasional decent meal, and I referred as many of Quark’s patrons to his shop as I could. I knew he didn’t trust me but that never bothered me; it was the Cardassian way after all, especially given his past. In that way, his referring to me as ‘friend’ was more of a formality than a term of endearment, although we were certainly on very good terms and could easily do business together. It was for that reason I decided to entrust him with a very important task.

“Doing better now,” I answered with a nod. “Much better.” I added for emphasis.

“I’m certainly glad to hear that,” Garak replied. “The last time I saw you, if memory serves, was during the general evacuation. I must apologize for not seeing you off but…well, you know how it was.” I nodded in understanding.

“I do. No hard feelings.”

“Excellent!” the Cardassian exclaimed, clapping his hands together. “I’m sure I’ll sleep better now. Now, I’m assuming that you didn’t traverse half the quadrant just to reminisce. Is there something I can do for you?” I nodded again.

“Actually, there’s a couple things you can do for me.” I produced my personal datapad from inside my vest and handed it to him. “My replicator’s been acting up lately.”

“You give me far too much credit, Mr. Stevens,” Garak said with a smile. “I may have my occasional clever moments but alas, I am but a humble tailor. I’m afraid that such ‘malfunctions’ are quite beyond me.” I couldn’t help but chuckle; same old Garak.

“Well then, it’s a good thing I’m not asking you to fix my replicators. See, I’ve accepted a job with Starfleet as a courier and when I went to replicate my uniform based on the specifications Starfleet sent me, the replicator decided to make it almost eight sizes too big. Seriously; a Gorn could’ve used the coat as a bathrobe.”

“That is a problem,” Garak mused as he studied the pad. “I must warn you that such an alteration may not be possible. However, I’d be pleased to replicate a new uniform for you using these specifications and one of my replicators.”

“Sure, that’s fine with me,” I replied, glad that something could be done.

“Was there something else?” he asked.

“Yes, there is. Tell me, how are you at designing stylish cloaks or capes?”

Hmm, making a foray into show business, are we?”

“You could say that. Here’s the specifications and her measurements.” I pushed a softkey on the screen, redirecting his attention to my plan. Garak said nothing, resting his chin in one hand as he carefully studied my request.

“You said her measurements, and yet…” Garak murmured. “…these measurements don’t match any species I’m familiar with, at least no humanoid ones.” I sighed, realizing that some backstory was necessary.

“That’s because she’s not humanoid,” I explained. “She’s…from Equestria.”

“Really?” Garak asked, eyes widening. “And here I thought I was the only one with any personal contacts in that particular part of the galaxy.” It took a moment for what he said to sink in.

“Wait…you know someone from Equestria?” I asked slowly.

“Indeed I do, although I believe the preferred term is ‘somepony’. And quite an interesting being, might I add, almost as interesting as the circumstances under which we met.”

“Okay, you have my attention,” I replied, thoroughly intrigued. “How exactly did you meet someone…er, somepony from Equestria? Can you tell me or is that classified information privy only to the higher-ups in the Cardassian Empire?”

“One would think so but no, there is nothing even the least bit secret about that,” Garak assured me. “Otherwise, we most certainly wouldn’t be having this pleasant conversation, which, might I add, would be best carried out in a more casual setting? My shop is hardly the ideal place for such a rousing tale.”

“If you don’t mind closing for a bit, then sure, I’d love to hear about it.” Garak looked about his shop, empty save for the two of us.

“Oh, I think I can escape for a little while at the very least. Shall we away, then?” he asked, motioning for us to leave.

Minutes later…

Fortunately, Quark’s wasn’t the only place on DS9 where one could enjoy a decent meal or refreshing beverage. Garak and I found ourselves in a small but comfortable restaurant close to one of the umbilical connections leading from the station’s promenade to the docking rings, giving us an excellent view of arriving and departing galactic citizens. It felt good to reconnect with someone again, even if it was mostly business, and I found my mood improving, despite the meeting/battle royale with Quark looming. Ugh, what a buzzkill that was gonna be.

“Why didn’t you just stay on Cardassia after the Dominion War?” I asked, keeping the conversation going. “I’m sure they could’ve used someone with your administrative abilities to help deal with all the chaos.”

“That’s precisely what I did, at least for a while,” Garak explained. “Eventually, after things finally settled down, I decided to so I decided to return and continue my less exciting but honest existence as the station’s tailor. Besides, Damar seemed to be handling everything just fine without me and I didn’t want to interfere with someone who had the support of both our allies and the Cardassian public.”

“Well, you’ve got my support,” I assured him as the rims of our glasses clinked lightly against each other. “By the way, didn’t you promise me an explanation about how you met this Equestrian pony you mentioned?” It was an abrupt change of topic but a necessary one; Garak had a lot of stories but my time was limited. Still, curiosity was eating me alive so I forced myself to be as patient as possible.

“Ah yes, how rude of me,” Garak replied with a nod. “Well, it all began during a Federation diplomatic mission to New Romulus.”

“What were you doing on a Federation diplomatic mission?” I asked, hoping I hadn’t sounded too rude, though I was rather surprised.

“Patience, young Cole,” Garak exclaimed. “I will explain everything to the best of my abilities but it is a rather long story, which requires a certain degree of patience.”

“Sorry, Garak,” I apologized. “It’s just that I’m kind of on a schedule. My companion’s meeting with Captain Sisko right now and I don’t know how long it’s going to take.”

“Well, seeing as your companion is an Equestrian, a species about which we know next to nothing, I’m sure the good Captain will be more than happy to entertain her for the duration of my tale.” Garak replied nonchalantly.

“Yeah, hopefully his Starfleet curiosity will hold out,” I agreed. “If you wouldn’t mind continuing, I would be happy to listen.”

“Very well!” Garak exclaimed, apparently eager to continue. “It all began on a joint diplomatic mission to New Romulus. We had just picked up the Klingon ambassador from Deep Space K7 and were passing through Tau Dewa when…”

***

Captain’s log, Stardate 2387. The Enterprise has received the Klingon consulate and is currently en-route to New Romulus. Along with representatives from the Xindi, Andorians, Vulcans, and Cardassians, I have been tasked with a relatively straightforward mission, albeit an important one. It has been brought to the Federation’s attention that the people of New Romulus face ever-growing threats from multiple sources including the Tholians, the Elachi, and the Tal Shiar. As such, Starfleet has asked representatives from several major Federation worlds to offer their expertize regarding the challenges that face the Romulan Republic, and indeed, all of us. Of course, in the interest of maintaining our newfound diplomatic ties, several diplomats are on board along with tactical and operations experts. While I agree that representation from multiple worlds from across the quadrant is a good idea in this case, I cannot help but sense a degree of apprehension about some of these ‘representatives’ and how they might interact with one another. (End recording)

Captain Data looked up from his desk at the sound of the COM. To anyone else, the notion of being on their former captain’s side of the door would’ve been a rather surreal experience but for Data, it was just another day. Ever since Jean-Luc had retired from captaincy and began his role as a Federation diplomat, the android had taken over as captain of the Sovereign-class U.S.S. Enterprise-E, despite his apparent ‘death’ during the battle against Praetor Shinzon’s Scimitar. Fortunately, Chief Engineer Geordi La Forge, assisting the Soong Foundation, had been able to ‘back up’ Data’s memories and knowledge into the body of fellow android ‘B-4’, thus ensuring the tenacious construct an enduring place aboard one of Starfleet’s most famous vessels. Although the name Enterprise had since been passed on to the next generation of exploration ships, the Sovereign-class Enterprise was allowed to keep its name, thus bestowing a great deal of importance on the ‘E’ that followed, lest one ship be mistaken for the other.

Data more than understood the logistical issues revolving around having two ships named ‘Enterprise’. However, he surprised many by staunchly defending the notion of allowing the Sovereign to keep its name. He famously stated that. “As I endeavor to become more human, I have learned a great deal about the concept of ‘nostalgia’ and the importance of association. I believe that re-naming an Enterprise, even if two were to exist simultaneously, would devalue it due to the many associations that lend the vessel its unique identity. It has been, and always will be, an Enterprise. Calling it anything else would be inaccurate at best”. So, with those words, the Enterprise-E remained as such under the watchful eye of Captain Data.

It was precisely due to that all-important ‘association’ that found the Enterprise-E performing many familiar tasks, including safely transporting important personnel from their respective home worlds to assist the beleaguered Romulan Republic.

“Data here,” Data called as the COM beeped once more.

“Sir, we’ve detected a spacial anomaly approximately half a light-year from our current position. We’re requesting your presence on the bridge.”

“Acknowledged. I’m on my way.” he replied, getting up immediately before heading for the bridge. “Report,” he stated upon reaching the ship’s command center.

“Sir, sensors have detected a spacial anomaly less than half a light-year dead ahead,” the science officer reported.

“What is the exact nature of the anomaly?” Data asked as he took his seat.

“It appears to be a wormhole, sir. It fluctuates between stability and instability but I believe that it could be stabilized completely.”

“Slow to half-impulse and position the Enterprise-E 50 kilometers from the wormhole. Bring it up on the viewscreen,” Data ordered. It appeared momentarily as the ship slowed and dropped out of warp. As he regarded the disappearing/ reappearing tunnel through subspace, his duotronic brain worked at light speed to figure out the swirling orange and blue puzzle in front of them. “What is the origin of the anomaly?” It was a pertinent question; Starfleet had often learned the hard way that one did not simply stabilize a random wormhole. After all, who knows where it led…or what might be waiting at the other end? It was that set of unknowns that prompted Data to consider their schedule; they had been making good time and the official meeting wasn’t slated to begin until the next day. Surely they could allow an hour or two to ensure that the new wormhole (or what it might contain) wasn’t dangerous. The science officer’s report seemed to justify and confirm the captain’s position.

“One moment…” the science officer replied as he waited for the scan results. “Sir, it appears to originate in a pocket of space that exists alongside our own space-time continuum.” He squinted and closely examined the data again as if surprised by the results. “There does not appear to be any hazards on the other end either, sir. Should I send a class IV probe through just to be certain?”

“Sir, the gravimetric forces generated by the rotation of the wormhole would more than likely crush the probe,” another science officer warned. “It’s not enough to hurt the Enterprise-E but a probe wouldn’t survive the trip.”

“Agreed,” Data replied with a curt nod. “Lieutenant, configure the main deflector to fire a concentrated tachyon beam at the wormhole. That might be enough to stabilize it.”

"Yes, sir.” With that, the Enterprise-E’s main deflector lit up with a blue glow before sending a beam of azure light right at the wormhole’s position. After nearly a minute of continuous exposure, the wormhole appeared, remaining so for about 30 seconds before disappearing once again. “Sir, we have temporarily stabilized the wormhole. However, it will require regular tachyon bursts in order to remain stable.”

“Acknowledged.” Data replied. “Helmsman, take us in.”

“Yes sir. Now entering the wormhole.” With that, the Enterprise-E entered the swirling anomaly just before it disappeared with a flash.

***

Curious.

There is little doubt that, being an Alicorn and an ancient one at that, Princess Luna possessed a considerable vocabulary. Even so, the sudden appearance of an extra twinkling light in her night sky brought one specific adjective to her mind. The word, as you might’ve already guessed, was ‘curious’. Perhaps, at first, she had felt some anxiety at the thought of what appeared to be another star appearing in her night sky, a cosmic canvas to which she and she alone attended. However, what was also curious is that, after the initial surprise, the princess of the night felt little to no apprehension towards the new bright object making itself at home among her stars.

She chuckled as she realized the irony of the situation; the fact that she did not feel nervous at all was rather curious in and of itself. What was it that justified her position? Was it her innate knowledge of the stars, knowledge so sharpened by eons of experience that anything to do with the cosmos, no matter how new or different, immediately felt as familiar to her as what had existed for millennia already? Or was it simply her ‘princess’s intuition’? Or was it a mix of curiosity and optimism, the hope that whatever had just arrived and was now gliding slowly across the starscape was as curious and eager to share as she was?

A mighty flap of her wings provided the answer and the Lunar Princess soon found herself within a small room atop Canterlot Castle’s tallest tower, her personal observatory. Carefully adjusting her telescope, she peered up into the night sky, trying to zero-in on the new arrival.

Her target was an elusive one; whatever it was, it was moving quickly, growing a little bit brighter with every passing minute. And yet, it did not worry the princess. Rather, her curiosity only grew as she continued her search, culminating in a delighted grin as she finally found it. Luna continued to smile as she tracked the circular, shiny object as it cruised directly overhead.

***

Starfleet personnel were privy to witnessing some rather interesting things: first contacts, marvels of nature, and interstellar phenomenon that broke every law of physics imaginable, to name a few. While the trip through the wormhole had been a somewhat atypical experience for some of the younger, less experienced members of Starfleet, the sight on the viewscreen made everyone on the bridge sit up and take note.

It was an absolutely picturesque azure-blue and forest-green planet.

Something about the small orb before them compelled the Enterprise-E bridge crew to simply stare in silence at their discovery. An indescribable feeling of peace and harmony washed over them like a breath of fresh air as if the planet had gently exhaled a calming breath upon them. Combined with the halfway-pastel color palette of the planet, the situation suddenly yet gently felt much more surreal than many past discoveries of a similar nature.

Interestingly, the experience did not escape the attention of Captain Data. Even though he was an android and as such, incapable of experiencing the emotional peace that swept the bridge, and indeed the entire ship, he did take careful note of the physiological effects on his crew. As such, he took the expected (and most prudent) course of action.

“Lieutenant Vorik, make a detailed scan the system along with the planet itself,” Data ordered.

“Aye, sir,” the Vulcan replied. There was a pause as the ship’s powerful sensors attempted to reduce everything around it to facts and figures, which it then sent to the science station. “Data acquired. Putting it up on the viewscreen now, sir.”

“This solar system appears to be the only collection of interstellar objects in this pocket of space, sir,” Vorik continued. “It is composed of one G-type main sequence star with a mass of 1.99 X 10^30 kg and an internal temperature of 15,000,000 Kelvin. It appears to be orbiting the planet at a distance of 94.5 million miles. The planet itself has a mass of…”

“Wait a second,” another bridge officer interjected, unable to contain her disbelief. “Did you just say that the star orbits the planet? How is that…is that even possible?”

“If the planet in question possess a much greater density than the star, then it is possible for such a phenomenon to occur due to the planet’s gravitational pull afforded by the greater mass,” Data explained. “However, the data at hand suggests that this is not the case here, which means that we have discovered a new type of interstellar phenomenon.” He looked over at Vorik. “You may continue with your report, Lieutenant.”

“Yes sir. The planet itself has a mass of 5.480 sextillion tons with a molten core and crust consisting of multiple tectonic plates and five distinct continents. The atmosphere is 76.55 percent nitrogen, 20.54 percent oxygen, 0.90 percent argon, two percent water vapor, 0.02 percent carbon dioxide, while trace amounts of other gasses accounts for the rest. Approximately 70 percent of the surface appears to be covered in water, while the land masses consist of about 30 percent. Sensors have also picked up the presence of an unknown energy type emanating from the planet, although we cannot pinpoint the source. It does not appear to be biologically hazardous, sir.”

“Did the sensors pick up any life-signs?” Data asked.

“We’ve detected what appear to be multiple artificial structures across the planet’s surface, suggesting a large population, sir. They appear to have developed basic architecture and rudimentary forms of technology, although we did not detect anything suggesting that they might be warp-capable. It might be interference from the local energy field, sir. It’s making any detailed scan almost impossible. We’ll have to get closer to find out more.”

Warp-capable. It was the question on everyone’s mind; were the citizens of this new world capable of warp flight? It was the deal-breaker for potential First Contacts, Starfleet’s Prime Directive.

Needless to say, it was a Directive with which Data was well-acquainted. The Directive stated that unless a civilization has achieved warp technology, said civilization must not be interfered with. Changing the destiny of an entire species was a supreme risk, one that the Federation took every precaution to avoid…with a few notable exceptions, as one might expect.

“Lieutenant, send a Class IV probe to do a detailed topographical scan of the most architecturally-sophisticated and densely-populated areas. Instruct the probe to maintain a low orbit in order to alleviate the interference from the planet’s energy field.” Data ordered. Even though under normal circumstances, a detailed scan meant getting closer to the planet and risk detection, a probe could theoretically get the job done while minimizing the risk of detection. It would also allow them to get a closer look without interfering with the locals, barring any unforeseen complications, of course.

“Yes sir, launching probe now,” Vorik replied. They watched as the small satellite-like craft sped away from the Enterprise-E and towards the blue and green orb.

***

Princess Luna’s eyes widened as another small light appeared in her night sky, watching as it seemed to separate from the first and stray off in a different direction, namely towards her position. One of her eyebrows cocked at this new development as she watched the newer arrival. Intrigued, she rose up into the air on two great dark-blue wings, and took off at high speed towards the object, finally getting a good look as she broke the planet’s thermosphere.

Had she not been in a vacuum, one would have heard quite the gasp of shock.

The object was not natural, that much she could tell; it didn’t take a dedicated Night Princess to figure that out. She knew what belonged in her night sky and the double-carriage-sized object approaching her was undoubtedly a foreigner. Thoroughly fascinated, she pursued the object as it glided just above the upper layers of Equestria’s atmosphere, flitting about and around the object, subjecting it to a princess’s scrutiny. It was a curious thing, this new celestial object, taking the shape of a slightly squashed metallic cylinder with rounded ends and a dish-shaped indent in the center of each side. For a moment, Luna considered simply grabbing the object in a powerful show of telekinesis and bringing it to her sister but decided to let the object, whatever it was, go about its business.

Her eyes didn’t even have the time to widen before the object suddenly exploded.

Author's Note:

Alrighty then, another chapter in the books! I can't say I'm 100% pleased with how this turned out but I'd like to think that the overall backstory I'm trying to provide here is greater than the sum of its parts. Anyway, as always, let me know what you think!

Also, still accepting applications/ideas/whatevers for ideas on guest chapters, if you're so inclined.