• Published 17th Sep 2013
  • 4,626 Views, 551 Comments

Starring Trixie - metroid_freak



Join Trixie and her human friend Cole as they explore the galaxy in search for excitement, adventure, and where they truly belong.

  • ...
21
 551
 4,626

Shields and Swords

"I could get used to this…" I murmured, stirring from peaceful slumber.

"Mmm, used to what?" Trixie murmured back.

"Not waking up to an alarm or warning or some alien jerk trying to incinerate us…"

"Mmm yeah, this is nice, isn't it?" Trixie agreed, smiling and snuggling closer to me.

"Of course, that's not the only thing I could get used to…" I added with a sly grin, hugging Trixie close.

"Mm-hm, Trixie bets you could…"

"I'm glad you agr...ouch!" I grunted as I suddenly found myself on the floor beside the bed.

"Ah, much better," Trixie murmured yet again, making a dramatic show of taking up the entire bed. "Now this is something Trixie could get used to!"

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the Great and Powerful Bed-hog, Trixie! With any luck, she'll be here all week!" I said, complete with eye-roll. "At least at this rate, I'll be the first downstairs for breakfast." I shot a quick glance at my light-blue companion just in time to hear her stomach rumble. "Yep, it'd be a shame if the Great & Hungry Trixie had to starve, all alone in bed…sigh, sigh…"

"Well, when you put it that way…" Trixie muttered. I grinned triumphantly, too caught up in my little victory to notice the light-blue glow enveloping my body. Sadly, it wasn't until I had been unceremoniously deposited on the bed that I realized my error: provoking the Trixie.

"Hey, what the…!" I gasped as the sheets coiled themselves around my ankles and wrists like satiny snakes.

"What was that about being last for breakfast?" Trixie asked smugly from her victorious position atop my chest.

That's when the door opened after a couple quick knocks.

"You two ready for brea…" Captain Remy asked, pausing at the scene in front of him.

There was a pause as we regarded each other.

"Sir, it's not what it…" Remy let out a small chuckle before gently closing the door. "…looks like." I finished as Trixie went as red as a tomato.

There was an awkward pause as we sat and twiddled our thumbs/hooves.

"So, breakfast?" I asked.

"Yup!"

As he made his way downstairs to the kitchen, Remy laughed and shook his head as memories of his younger years returned, particularly those involving his Academy days.

"Now that's the kind of awkward morning entertainment I could get used to!"

***

After a fantastic breakfast of pancakes, fresh berry compote, and homemade whipped cream, the discussion turned to our plans for the day.

"So, seeing as the memorial isn't until tomorrow, I thought we could take a tour of Starfleet Headquarters. You could get the lay of the land, maybe something will inspire you for your speech." Remy suggested, focusing on Trixie.

"That would be great, actually," Trixie said with a nod. "Trixie's run into some…difficulties with her speech and visiting where she's going to deliver it might help her finish it."

"And I've always wanted to visit Starfleet HQ," I agreed. "My parents used to talk about it all the time but we never got the chance to visit."

"Besides, San Francisco is one of the most beautiful and iconic cities in North America," Kyana piped up. "It was one of the first places Jacob took me around when we started seeing each other."

"Whaddaya say, Trix?" I asked, turning to her. "Care for a romantic whirlwind tour of San Francisco?"

"I-Trixie would like that very much!" she exclaimed, prompting Jacob and Kyana to smile.

"There'll be plenty of time for that," Remy assured us. "Which reminds me; before I set you two loose on the city, Starfleet has requested a meeting with both of you this afternoon at 1500 hours."

"Really?" I asked as Trixie's ears perked up. "What would they want to see us for?"

"Maybe it's another debriefing," Trixie mused.

"I'm not entirely sure, to be honest," Remy said, helping Kyana to clear the table. "The message wasn't exactly forthcoming. The communique stated that you two should report to Logistical Support as soon as possible, and that's all I know."

"Starfleet being secretive? What a surprising surprise!" I exclaimed, rolling my eyes. "Er, no offense." I added.

"Don't worry, I've had that exact same thought more than a few times," Remy admitted. "Still, isn't it interesting that they called you two specifically?"

"I guess it is," I said with a shrug. "What exactly do they do at Logistical Support?"

"It's a section of Starfleet that specializes in technological research for the purpose of logistical support." Remy explained.

"Oh, maybe they could build us a new ship so we'd have one that isn't falling apart on a regular basis!" Trixie exclaimed.

"Hey, that's my baby and my house you're talking about!" I retorted as Remy stifled a laugh. "But seriously, maybe they'll have some cool toys for us to test or something."

"Hopefully not on us…" Trixie muttered, taking another bite of her breakfast.

"Come on, Trix, Starfleet isn't like that…is it?" I asked, sending a slightly-skeptical expression Remy's way.

"I wouldn't worry about it too much," Remy assured us nonchalantly, sipping his coffee. "I'm sure Starfleet has absolutely no interest in luring a member of an alien species that quite literally uses magic into a research lab down in Logistical Support for the sole purpose of subjecting them to invasive study and experimentation."

"Nope!" Trixie announced, pushing away from the table whilst shaking her head. "Nopenopenopenope!"

"Ouch!" Remy exclaimed, unable to contain his laughter even as his wife gave him a smack.

"Honestly!" she said, shaking her head. "And they made you a captain!"

It was one of the more interesting breakfasts I'd had in awhile.

***

San Francisco had long been touted as one of the great cultural centers of the United States. While it had evolved and become shinier over the years, it managed to retain some of its 20th century charm. The old streetcars were still operating regularly with no signs of slowing, the wharf was still the best place for seafood, and the Golden Gate Bridge was as majestic as it had ever been.

Thankfully, all this (and much more as we explored) was not lost on my equine companion. Trixie seemed utterly fascinated by the mix of old and new the city had become so famous for and I could hardly blame her. It was my first visit as well and I have to say that I enjoyed it immensely.

After an exciting action-packed morning and early afternoon, we took a break for lunch, enjoying a fresh salad (for Trixie) and a lobster roll (for me) at one of many seafood eateries on the famous wharf (although we were both able to enjoy some fresh sourdough bread).

"Cole," Trixie said as we sat and digested. "What do you think Starfleet wants to see us for?"

"I honestly have no idea," I replied, polishing off the last if the bread. "Why? Are you worried?"

"Not really worried per se…"

"Then…what?"

"Trixie…has the feeling that they want to see us 'cause we're in trouble." I raised an eyebrow in surprise.

"You really think so?" She nodded. "Okay then. What could we possibly be in trouble for?"

"Trixie doesn't know," she said quietly. "But Trixie can't get over the thought that we are."

"I think Trixie's just nervous to meet so many other members of Starfleet and the Federation government," I surmised, causing her to look up at me. "Believe me that if the situation was reversed, I'd be just as nervous. I mean, if you put me in front of your rulers, y'know the ones that freakin' move your sun and moon, I'd probably lie down, curl up, and try to find my happy place." I grinned as Trixie giggled, probably picturing that very sight.

"Well, they have been known to be…intimidating at times. Trixie's lucky that she only had to deal with Princess Twilight. She was more…forgiving than Trixie expected."

"Well, if we ever find ourselves meeting your government heads for unknown reasons, remind me to ask for Princess Twilight." I said with a chuckle. "Look Trix, everything's gonna be fine. We haven't broken any rules and we're veterans of the Dyson campaign. I think we're in good standing with Starfleet at the moment." Reassuring Trixie prompted me to check the time; a great way to not be in good standing with Starfleet was to be late for a meeting with the higher-ups.

"What time is it?" Trixie asked.

"2:33," I replied. "Time to get going. I'd rather get there a little early just to be safe."

"Sounds good to Trixie." With that, we got up, paid, and caught a nearby service shuttle to Starfleet HQ.

***

Starfleet Headquarters was probably not what most people imagined when they envisioned the hub for one of the Federation's largest administrative divisions. The wide-open spaces, gardens, fountains, and general airiness of the place certainly caught Trixie and I off-guard. There were large buildings, yes, but for the most part they were so slick and integrated so seamlessly into the surrounding natural formations that at first glance, they almost appeared to be part of nature itself. It reflected Starfleet's philosophy well; being as unobtrusive as possible while displaying an appropriate measure of security and strength. A delicate balance but one clearly demonstrated by the combination of lush and ultramodern that marked Starfleet HQ.

"It's…really pretty in a way," Trixie commented, summarizing my thoughts well. "Trixie especially appreciates how they mixed nature with technology. It's…soothing."

"I think that's exactly what they were going for, Trix." I agreed with a nod. "I'm sure they wanted something that would distract Starfleet personnel from the metal confines of a starship and the cold void of space, maybe remind them of what they were working for. Seems fitting if you ask me."

"Maybe Starfleet's not so bad after all." Trixie mused with a smirk.

"Y'know, I hate to say 'I told you so'…but I freakin' told ya."

It wasn't until we'd been wandering around for about 10 minutes that I realized I actually had idea where Logistical Support was. It took a further five minutes for the idea to ask someone for directions to come to me, much to Trixie's amusement. Finally, after bugging a couple cadets, we were pointed in the right direction.

And wound up at a reception desk in a large metallic circular building perched on the edge of the cliff overlooking the bay. After being told to wait, it felt more and more like a trip to the doctor, especially given how Spartan and squeaky clean the room was.

Although I can't recall being able to provide back and ear scratches to a more ideal waiting partner. Busy as the receptionist was with whatever she was doing, she remained oblivious to the comforting touches and gestures we exchanged. Nothing raunchy, just the occasional pat or scratch. Nice way to pass the time.

An effective way to pass the time as well. It wasn't long before our names were called and we got up. Trixie seemed surprised to be addressed as well. I sure wasn't; her exploits were far more numerous and impressive than mine, which was undoubtedly why her name was actually called first. We looked over to see an Andorian woman dressed in an engineer's uniform worn under a long grey lab coat standing by the desk.

"Miss Trixie, Mr. Stevens," the woman began with a smile. "I'm Commander Veshia, Chief Engineer, Logistical Support. Welcome to our facility." she said, shaking Trixie's hoof, followed by my hand.

"Thank you ma'am," I replied cordially. "I've never been to Starfleet HQ before, although I must admit that I have no idea why we're here."

"Is Trixie in some kind of trouble?" my companion blurted out. There was a brief pause as Commander Veshia looked at her quizzically.

"No, Miss Trixie, I assure you that you are not in any trouble whatsoever. Neither of you are." The commander assured us. "In fact, you might say that you're here because Starfleet has decided to commend you."

"Really? For what?" I asked. I knew we'd done some cool stuff but had no idea of how much weight it carried with Starfleet brass.

"If you'll both follow me, I'll explain on the way," Commander Veshia replied, motioning for us to accompany her into the facility. Trixie and I looked at each other, shrugged, and followed her.

"Now, I expect you're wondering why you're here," the commander said as we weaved through typical grey Starfleet hallways.

"Well, we showed up, didn't we?" I pointed out.

"Yes, and I'm sure that by the time we're finished here, you'll be glad you did," Veshia said, stopping in front of a turbolift. "Please," she gestured for us to step onto the turbolift, joining us after we'd done so. "In short, you're here because you've demonstrated that you two possess something Starfleet values greatly: the innate ability to work as a team and by doing so, achieve great results."

"So…we're getting a pat on the head because we can do our jobs well?" I asked, confused. "Didn't realize it was this easy to get a medal."

"This goes well beyond simply doing your job well," Veshia said as the turbolift carried us…somewhere. "Yes, you're an excellent courier and Miss Trixie has proven herself to be a valuable asset as well but there's more to the story." I was a little annoyed that Trixie had been reduced to a mere asset but decided to hold my tongue and see where the commander was going with this. After all, we were not under orders per se to be here, and I wouldn't hesitate to get the Hell out if I felt Trixie was being disrespected in any way.

"Like…?"

"Like how Miss Trixie has become eligible for the Medal for Conspicuous Gallantry."

And that's exactly why I clammed up.

"Um…what?" Trixie asked in confusion.

"I was under the impression that Captain Remy had already informed you of the details." Veshia replied.

"N-no, he never said anything like that." Trixie murmured.

"So…Trixie's getting a medal…" I mused. "That's…amazing and all but it doesn't explain why we're here." Inside, I was jumping for joy with pride but there would be time for celebrations later.

"I…Trixie's getting a medal?" she nearly whispered.

"Yes and if I may say so, it is truly well-deserved," Veshia confirmed, dropping the professional engineer persona long enough to offer her a warm smile…and then some. "You see…I had a lot of colleagues and fellow graduates working in the Dyson Sphere during the Voth offensive. I lost a lot of friends there but thanks to you, many more were saved, so…thank you, Miss Trixie." With that, she knelt down and offered the blue mare her hand, which she hesitantly shook.

"I-It was Trixie's pleasure to help!" she asserted. With that, the turbolift came to a stop and the door slid open.

"Don't worry, Mr. Stevens, Starfleet hasn't forgotten about you," Veshia assured me as we continued through the facility. "Your actions against the Orion Syndicate and of course your courage in the Sphere have also been well-documented. I'm not sure what Starfleet has in store for you as far as decorations go but in the meantime, we have something else to offer you. Both of you, as a matter of fact."

"So…Starfleet asked us to come here so they could give us a present?" I surmised.

"Not exactly," Veshia said. "More like…high-tech safety equipment. After all, you two seem to have a knack for getting into interesting situations."

"That's an understatement." Trixie muttered.

"Which is precisely why I've been authorized by Starfleet to present you with something to make your lives a little easier and hopefully, safer. Let it never be said that Starfleet doesn't take care of its own. Ah, here we are." Veshia said, stopping in front of a large set of sliding doors. "I must ask you to stay with me at all times from this point forward. This room contains many technological innovations, and not all of them have been perfected yet."

"Got it," I confirmed with a curt nod.

"Trixie understands."

"Good." With that, the door opened and we were led inside.

***

"Wow…" Trixie gasped as we slowly walked inside.

"You can say that again…" I murmured, taking in the technical spectacle before me.

"Miss Trixie, Mr. Stevens, welcome to Primary Logistics, the heart of Logistical Support. This laboratory is where we put the finishing touches on all our technological innovations. It is our job to further the mission of the Federation and protect the lives of its people, and indeed anyone who may require assistance as mandated by the Federation."

It was easily one of the largest rooms I'd ever been in that wasn't designed for storing starships. Unlike the stark grey walls and doors of the rest of the facility, this room was bright, vibrant, and shiny. Hundreds of people from every Federation race worked in various sections of the room fabricating components, piecing them together, testing them out, looking at holograms of components, disassembling them; whatever you could think of, they were doing it.

The sounds of machines whirring, beeping, and hissing in combination with the occasional burnt tinge in the air bombarded our senses. The occasional shout or exclamation caught our attention and while we tried to oblige our curiosity, there was so much going on that it was almost impossible to discern the source of the excitement.

"Well, I don't see any examination tables," I said, giving Trixie a gentle nudge. "Looks like it's your lucky day, huh? Ouch!" I grunted as she gave me a not-so-gentle nudge.

"Please, follow me," Veshia said, leading us down the wide ramp and onto the lab floor. Trixie and I followed almost silently as she pointed things out here and there that might interest us. Of course, there was so much development that we only heard about maybe half a dozen in any detail but we listened nonetheless.

We finally stopped near the far-right corner of the lab in a large section the commander referred to as "Logistical Support – Ground". Directly in the center of the space sat a large stark-white container with the Starfleet insignia on the front. Around it, scientists and engineers bustled, making it clear that whatever was inside was important, if not the focus of their work.

"Miss Trixie, Mr. Stevens, what you're about to see is the very latest in personal protection technology, the result of careful study of technology recovered from the Dyson Sphere. Starfleet has elected to grant you access and ownership of this technology on the basis of your exceptional service to the Federation. Much like the Aegis system on your ship, I believe you'll find this technology to be a most useful asset." Trixie and I smiled at each other, hearts racing in anticipation.

"So, on behalf of Starfleet and Logistical Support, I proudly present…the Dyson Heavy Combat Armor." With that, the front of the container swung upwards with a hiss, revealing its contents.

If I hadn't been rendered speechless already, what I saw in that container certainly would've done the trick. Inside stood a powerful-looking suit of armor unlike any I'd ever seen before. Unlike anything anyone had ever seen before, I suspected. It was heavy and solid-looking yet curvy and elegant in a way that set it aside from other protective harnesses I'd seen. Wordlessly, I took a step towards the polished suit before remembering my head and looking back at Commander Veshia, who nodded.

"Wow…" I murmured, carefully running a hand along the metal contours of the suit. I peered up at the large reflective visor and followed the swoosh-like top of the helmet. "It's…I don't even know what to say. This is…incredible. Trix, come have a look at this." As if waiting for me to finish fanboying over the suit, Trixie nodded eagerly and ran up to it. I back up and allowed her to stand before it. There was a collective gasp as her horn lit up and enveloped the suit in a light-blue aura; I could see some of the staff take a step forward and held up my hand.

"Don't worry, she's just checking it out." I assured them as Trixie performed something like a magical handshake, trying to understand it in a way that technical documents and engineering babble couldn't explain.

"It's…something," Trixie commented, still studying the suit. "Trixie…may not be an engineer…but she can appreciate fine workmanship." She turned to us and nodded. "It is an excellent construct."

"Well, you heard her," Commander Veshia said after breathing a sigh of relief. "We clearly have a winner. Excellent job, everyone. This suit will save a lot of lives in the future."

"So…it's for the military?" I asked. Veshia nodded.

"Yes and no. It is primarily a defensive piece and will only be deployed where necessary, primarily in the Dyson Sphere to offer our personnel better protection from the Voth." Okay, now I was on board; the Voth were terrifying, powerful, and had no idea of what they were getting into. If it meant stopping them from gathering and using Omega Particles (which were even more terrifying), I was all for it.

After all, both Trixie and I had seen very closely what the Voth were capable of.

"This suit…is very impressive," Trixie spoke up. "But…what does it have to do with us?"

"Hmm? Didn't I mention why already?" Veshia asked, sounding genuinely surprised. "Each of you will receive a suit of your very own to use as you see fit, so long as it is within Starfleet protocols."

"Seriously!?" I couldn't contain my excitement any longer. "You mean, you're just…giving us these?"

"Starfleet believes that both of you have earned them," Veshia said. "And I am inclined to agree."

"Wow…thank you…I'm speechless…" I stammered, taking another close look at the suit, as did Trixie. "What do you think, Trix? Think these'll come in handy?"

"Trixie thinks they would've come in handy weeks ago but nevertheless…" She turned and smiled at the commander. "…thank you. Thank you, everyone. Trixie hopes that it will, as you said, save many lives."

"With what we've included, there is no doubt," Veshia assured her. "Each suit, while extremely resilient by itself, has a built-in high-capacity shield generator to offer maximum protection against whatever you might come up against. If the shield diminishes, it will recharge completely after four seconds, provided the suit is not subjected to further damage." Trixie and I nodded. The commander then clapped her hands together. "Now then, who would like to try it on?"

I'm not sure whose foreleg shot up first, mine or Trixie's. Veshia smiled.

"I thought so. Here, you'll each need one of these." With that, she produced two metallic-purple combadges, pinned one on my shirt beside my original one, and the other on the collar of Trixie's cape. "These are your new combadges. In addition to doing what every other Starfleet combadge does, it has one additional function."

"Which is…" I began.

"Press the combadge and find out." Commander Veshia replied with a smile.

"This…isn't gonna hurt, is it?" I asked, a little nervous about pressing the proverbial big red button.

"I assure you that neither you nor your companion will be harmed in any way." Veshia promised.

"Alright, if you say so," I replied, taking a deep breath. I looked at Trixie. "On three?" She nodded, taking a deep breath as well. "Okay then. One…two…three!"

I gasped as a strange sensation enveloped my entire body. It felt like a transporter beam, and I almost thought that was actually happening…for a second. After that, there was no mistake.

"Whoa…" I murmured as I peered through the visor at my armor-covered hands. "Cool!" I exclaimed, finding the suit's shield indicator in an easy to see position along the top of the visor. I also noticed a digital zoom function for viewing objects at a distance, and environmental scanner, much like the ones found on tricorders.

"Eep!" Trixie yelped. Instinctively, I jerked my head in her direction…and my eyes widened. In a stunning move, the design team had prepared a suit for Trixie's unique measurements. It looked nearly identical to my own, save for being tailored for her unique body shape but regardless, it fit her like a glove. There was even a horn housing on her helmet!

"You okay there, Trix?" I asked, walking over to her. I paused, trying to wrap my head around how easy it was to move in such a bulky-looking suit. Sure, I wasn't gonna be doing any ballet in the thing but I certainly didn't feel any heavier or restrained.

"Trixie is fine! That was just…unexpected!" I laughed a little as she moved about experimentally, lifting one hoof up at a time, testing her balance, trying her magic. I watched as the hon covering glowed the same color as her magical aura and watched as she experimentally lifted a nearby container.

"How's the magic?" I asked.

"This is amazing! Trixie doesn't feel restricted at all! It's like the suit is…an extension of Trixie!" I smiled broadly under my helmet, relieved to see Trixie enjoying this new experience…and of course, her new toy. I turned to Veshia and the rest if the crew, most of whom were furiously typing notes on their PADDs, and gave them a thumbs-up.

"Works like a charm!"

"This is excellent news!" Veshia exclaimed. "That means it's ready for deployment."

"That's for sure! Make sure you get these where they're needed as soon as possible, okay?" Trixie requested.

"I assure you that is our top priority. We'll begin manufacturing them immediately." The commander assured her. "By the way, if you'll both join me other here, I have one more thing for you." We did so, standing next to her at an adjacent station, whereupon she opened another, smaller container.

"Um…what is that?" I asked as she took out an energy rifle built in the same style as the armor.

"It's the Dyson Proton Beam Rifle," she explained. "I realize that this may seem extreme but we feel that, given the somewhat extraordinary circumstances you've encountered, something with a little more potency than a hand phaser may come in useful…maybe even save your life. You don't have to use it but if you do…use with discretion. You'll find that it packs much more of a punch than what you're used to."

I'll admit was hesitant to accept it at first. I mean, these were real weapons. Sure, a hand phaser was technically a weapon but this was a beam rifle that was barely past the experimental stage. Is this what I valued now, what I thought I needed? Was Starfleet really giving us this gear as a reward for our service or were they expecting us to get into situations that would necessitate such advanced technology? Were we just guinea pigs for Starfleet research spooks?

At that point, my mind replayed some of the dangers we'd been through and disasters we'd barely averted. The Orion encounters, the Borg Cube, the Tholian attack, the Voth offensive, the loss of the Repulse, the God damn Iconians…

The close calls where I'd almost lost Trixie…

After that, it was much easier to hold.

"And for you, Miss Trixie, we designed the Proton Beam Pistol specifically for you," Veshia continued, handing Trixie a much smaller version of my weapon. "Its small size should make it easy to hold and use with your magical aura." As if she could see the trepidation on the mare's face, she continued. "Now, I want you to understand that neither of you are obligated to use these weapons nor do I hope you ever have to. We would just rather you have them and not need them than need them and not have them." As much as suddenly owning high-powered weapons made me feel kind of strange, I couldn't deny her logic.

Funny how owning starship-grade phasers and torpedoes didn't bother me but personal weapons did, huh? I guess it was easier to pull the trigger when you couldn't directly see who you were shooting.

"One more thing. You can transport either the suit, the weapon, or both. Simply press your combadge once for the suit, twice quickly for the weapon, or three times quickly for both. If done so, the rifle will appear slung to the back of the suit for ease of transport and within easy reach. Got it?" We both nodded. "Good. To take off the suit, simply hold the button down for three seconds. Note that that will also relieve you of your weapon, so use that function carefully."

Trixie and I looked at each other, nodded, and with a quick all-encompassing silver-blue flash, the armor was gone.

"Excellent. We'll store the suits aboard your ship in your quarters for ease of access. If you have any questions at all or need any kind of repair or alteration, please don't hesitate to send a hail my way." Commander Veshia said. I nodded.

"Thank you, Commander. We'll take good care of 'em, won't we, Trix?" She nodded assertively.

"Trixie will most definitely put hers to good use. You can count on that." Her determined expression spoke volumes about her intentions, and I had no doubt that if she could use it to help someone, she wouldn't hesitate. Which was good because I planned to do the exact same thing.

Author's Note:

Another chapter in the books! Does anyone get the feeling that I rushed a few parts, parts that maybe could've been expanded more? As usual, let me know your thoughts!

I went with the Dyson Ground Set because that's the first one I ever assembled in Star Trek Online and I'll always have a bit of a soft spot for it. I also think some sweet gear for our heroes is long overdue.