• Published 17th Sep 2013
  • 4,623 Views, 551 Comments

Starring Trixie - metroid_freak



Join Trixie and her human friend Cole as they explore the galaxy in search for excitement, adventure, and where they truly belong.

  • ...
21
 551
 4,623

Mirror's Edge Part II

Acting captain’s log, Stardate…something, something point something. I’ve decided to start keeping a record of travels, mostly for myself, but also for Starfleet just in case. I mean, you never know, right? Maybe I could even trade the info for some new gear or credits or something useful. In any case, that’ll just have to wait. According to Princess Luna, we’re on our way to a secret base, the home of some kind of ‘resistance’ against the Terran Empire and the Solar Imperium. I don’t know much about the Mirror Universe but it looks like we’re about to become better acquainted with it whether we like it or not. (End Recording)

“Come in!” I called from my bed as I ended the recording. The door opened with a hiss and in stepped a certain blue showmare. To say I was surprised to see her would be an understatement; judging from the way she was acting mere minutes ago, I thought her sanity had taken a sabbatical. “Something I can do for you?” I asked as she slowly approached. She wore an expression of anxiety and although I hated to see her worried, I was pleased that she no longer seemed all that terrified.

“The princess wants to see you,” she said quietly, almost whispering.

“Guess I’d better get going, then,” I replied, stretching as I sat up. “Wouldn’t wanna keep royalty waiting, ‘specially after she was nice enough to let me nap first.” I looked over at Trixie, who still hadn’t moved. “Is there something else?”

“Oh! It’s just that…Trixie’s never…seen anything like this before and…she’s wondering if we’ll be okay…” I smiled and ruffled her mane. She seemed to like that; a good mane-ruffling usually calmed her down and I had a feeling that starting now, I’d be doing it a lot more often.

“Don’t worry, I’m sure we’ll be fine,” I assured her. “We’re just gonna follow them, tell ‘em what we know, and be on our way. We’ll find another rift and be outta here sooner before you know it.” The line between convincing myself and her was growing more and more blurred at every turn and I wondered if it would be so easy.

“Trixie hopes so,” the blue mare replied with a hint of stubbornness. “If you get us killed, Trixie will never let you live it down!”

“Now there’s the Trixie I lo…tolerate,” I replied, giving her a somewhat condescending pat on the head. “Well, I’ve got a bridge to get to. Feel free to lay down here or whatever. I don’t think I’ll be too long.” With that, I made my way to the bridge, upon reaching which I immediately activated the viewscreen and hailed the Bird-of-Prey.

“What do you want?” the captain snarled. I smiled; this was an excellent chance to practice some Klingon inflections and (hopefully) get away with it.

“Listen to me, petaQ!” I growled, baring my teeth. “Her Highness, Princess Luna, has requested that I speak with her and I’ll be damned if some honourless dog is going to stop me!” Okay, maybe I overdid it a bit but if there was one thing I knew about Klingons, shoving them after they shoved you was a great way to earn their respect. Or get yourself killed. I was hoping for the former.

“You dare order me about?” the Klingon demanded.

“No, but I think she does,” I replied, gesturing towards the entering princess.

“Ha! You are a fool if you think that lame trick will get the better of me! I am of Duras! It will take more than that to…”

Ahem.” The look on his face was priceless! I had to hold myself back as he went white as a Dividian and slowly turned around. “I’m sorry, captain, am I interrupting something?”

“N…no, your Highness. I was about to alert you…”

“It’s quite alright. I was the one who requested an audience with him. Please, carry on with your duties, captain. I promise you that we shall not occupy your bridge for too long.” Luna assured him, defending her title of ‘Universe’s Most Pragmatic & Patient Pony Princess’. He bowed to her and vacated the room, leaving the Princess and a handful of bridge crew.

“You wanted to see me, ma’am?” I asked, taking a seat in my chair. In hindsight, I probably should’ve remained standing but I was exhausted and didn’t think she’d mind. The princess looked like she had more important matters to worry about anyway.

“Yes, I did,” she replied. “You don’t mind, do you? I know how exhausted you must be after your harrowing arrival.”

That’s for sure,” I agreed. “Still, I am in your debt. We both are. If you hadn’t rescued us…” I shivered involuntarily. “Anyway, what can I do for you?”

“I was hoping you could enlighten us as to why you’re here.” Wow, straight to the point, I thought.

“I’d be happy to, Princess, although I’m not sure I even understand it myself.”

“Please, call me ‘Luna’. In these truing times, one hardly has the time for such formalities, especially since I am not your superior.”

“That’s fine with me. So…what do you want to know?”

“Care to start at the top?”

“You betcha. See, my friend and I…”

“The unicorn, I presume?”

“That’s right. We’re travelers, y’see. I’m basically a worker for hire and she’s an entertainer. We met about a week ago on your home planet…” I paused, realizing how ridiculous that sounded, judging by the state of affairs that had befallen her world. “I mean, in my universe, of course.’ I added hastily.

“Yes, I thought that might be the case,” Luna replied thoughtfully. “I was wondering why your ship didn’t have the same markings as the Terrans.”

“So…you believe me?” I asked, just to make sure we were on the same page.

“What kind of magic practitioner or leader would I be if I did not consider any and all possibilities, as unlikely or absurd as they may be?” It was a good question, one that I did not possess and answer to.

“Not a very good one, I suppose,” I replied with a chuckle, hoping she had been born with a sense of humor.

“No, I suppose not,” she answered with a chuckle of her own, mitigating my concern. “In any case, how did you two wind up here of all places?”

“I wish I knew,” I replied, unable to hide a degree of wistfulness. “All the computer was able to gathers is that we got pulled through some strange kind of spacial anomaly.”

“Has that happened before?”

“Yes, actually. I’m not sure if you’ll know who I’m talking about but Captain James Kirk visited the mirror…I mean, this universe in 2267 and Captain Sulu and the U.S.S. Excelsior went through about 12 years later. Any other information is really hard to come by. Starfleet likes to keep it kind of hush-hush.”

“I understand,” Luna assured me. “And that’s when the Solar Imperium attacked?” I nodded.

“That’s right. They must’ve thought we were part of the Terran Empire. I have to admit that by the time the real Terran Empire showed up, the poor girl had already taken a beating.” I finished, giving my armrest a hard pat.

“Why were you unable to overcome them?” Luna must’ve sensed my change in mood as I looked down at my feet, a deep frown etching my face. “Oh…I’m sorry. I didn’t mean any disrespect.”

“It’s okay. It’s just that…the Ranger’s a great ship for basic transportation and even a little exploring but she’s no battle cruiser. We were outgunned, simple as that.”

“I’m sorry. I wish we had arrived sooner.”

“Well, don’t be too sorry. If you’d arrived any sooner, you probably would’ve had two enemy ships to deal with. The only reason I didn’t get vape-d by the Imperium is because of the Empire and the only reason they didn’t get us was because of you, Princess. Have I mentioned how grateful Trixie and I are yet?”

“You might’ve mentioned it once or twice.” Luna replied with a smile.

“Well, I mean it,” I continued. “And I’d like to help. Please consider myself and the Ranger at your disposal.” The princess’ expression surprised me; it was as if she didn’t expect me to reciprocate. I mean…how could I not? While I didn’t like the idea of intervening, especially in a ship so ill-equipped for combat, I couldn’t just stand by and let the Empire and the Imperium have their way. It wouldn’t be very…well, very Starfleet at all, now would it? Okay, I know I’m not part of Starfleet but that wasn’t the point. Ever since I had acquired the Ranger and learned its history, I felt compelled to emulate those who commanded her, called the ship home, and lived their lives for the betterment of mankind. Not doing so when faced with an opportunity to make a difference was just wrong. I knew that it was dangerous…okay, really dangerous but if my contribution helped to bring all the insanity to a speedy conclusion, then it was well-worth it.

“That is...most generous,” she replied. “But please do not feel obligated to help. We did what was right.”

“And now I’d like to do the same,” I answered quickly. “No offense, Princess, but I’d be willing to bet everything I own that you could use all the help can get. She’s not exactly a Galaxy-class but she’s quick and smart. I’m sure you could use us.”

“Well, there’s no turning you down, is there?” Luna asked with a hint of amusement. “Very well! Cole Stevens, you and your ship have just entered the service of the Lunar Republic!” She needn’t have said anything more; I was well-aware that Lunar Republic was the antithesis of the Solar Imperium, and definitely the side I wanted to fight for.

“Thank you, ma’am!” I replied with a swift salute. “I’ll do my best.” Luna smiled.

“I know you will.” She glanced down at a computer console. “We’ll be arriving soon. Please make any preparations necessary for docking. Luna out.” She shot me one last smile and the stars once again occupied the viewscreen.

“Think I’d better check on Sleeping Beauty,” I muttered, heading to the turbolift. I wandered into my room seconds later to find her still curled up on the bed. I sat down and gently brushed her mane out from in front of her face. “Hey,” I whispered.

Mmm…daddy…?” she murmured.

Dead silence.

I was floored. Like, floored. Not a peep out of her about family or any relations at all and now…this. Her simple, innocent question sent me reeling. That was something I had never even considered, and now I was forced to face it.

Trixie’s family.

Her sleep-addled answer raised a lot of questions. Who were they? What were they like? What was their last name? Do they even have a last name? It was almost too much to process. I took a deep breath and hugged her, gently so as not to wake her from her peaceful slumber, and did the only thing I could think of.

“I’m here, Trixie. It’s okay. Just…relax and sleep. Everything’s okay, everything’s okay…” My heart pounded as a small smile appeared on her muzzle and she moved up against me with a sigh of contentment. Up until that point, I had never considered myself much of a softie. From a young age, I had been out on my own, left to seek my fortune in hoped that I could fulfill some dream I had yet to identify and make my late parents proud. As I gazed down at her sleeping form, I felt that previously unexplored side begin to manifest. I don’t know how or why but I suddenly had the urge to sooth and be near her, almost like some kind of…guardian.

“Hush, little strider, for the stars bloom o’er, watching, smiling, e’er closer,” Don’t ask me where that came from. I suppose I was feeling poetic…or something. “Now rest and watch as the starlight sings, a lullaby for you, you sleepy thing.” It felt…I don’t really know how to describe it. All I knew is that it was right. So I continued, barely missing a beat. “For as long as you rest in your little bed, may your dreams embrace you, sleepyhead.” I smiled as Trixie murmured something unintelligible but it was a pretty safe bet that she enjoyed the little ditty I’d composed.

Fighting back a loud yawn of my own, I crept out as quietly as I could and headed for the bridge, my mind racing. It seemed that not only was I tasked with protecting my new compatriot’s life, I had another responsibility, one just as great and likely just as challenging. I finally had something to prove.

Trixie wasn’t as alone as she thought.

***

I didn’t have much time to think about that sort of thing before we arrived at the Lunar Republic’s base of operations. From first glance, it looked a lot like Starbase K-7 but that’s where the similarities ended. First of all, it was much bigger. The station consisted of a large central hub with several dome-like pods connected around it like the spokes of a wheel. Each pod bristled with docks, ships, and activity and as I gazed about in awe at the action around us, several vessels that I had never seen before caught my eye, including a few captured Terran warships. Like the fleet itself, the station appeared to be cobbled together from the parts of several races, each lending its own brand of style to the collaboration.

There were a lot of ships, which genuinely surprised me. Look at it this way; most of the time, when you think about a rebellious fleet, a ragtag group of half-eaten ships or any manner of mothball fleets comes to mind. That definitely was not the case here. Although quite varied, the fleet looked as ready for action as any I’d ever seen and it was almost enough to convince me of our chances.

We docked shortly after and I took the opportunity to rouse the sleeping showmare. She was still out to the world, curled up under the sheets like a child…er, foal. She almost looked…adorable, in the way a kitten looks when it’s taking a catnap. I leaned over her and ruffled her mane.

“Hey, wake up, we’re here.” I whispered. She stirred a bit and rolled over away from me.

Mmmsgfafushmnnmnm…” she murmured.

“Hello to you too,” I replied. “Come on now, the princess is waiting for us.” It was hard not to laugh as her eyes suddenly opened and she sat bolt upright, sending the sheets flying off the bed.

“P…Princess Luna’s waiting for us?” she asked with an air of panic. I was finally starting to figure Trixie out; she loved the stars, right? By that logic, meeting the one who, in their world, was responsible for the night sky, would be like meeting Jesus or something. I could only imagine how she felt about being in the presence of not only her ruler but her idol as well.

“Yeah, she wants us to go…” There was an actual whoosh as she leapt to her hooves and sped out. “…to the meeting room…” I trailed off.

I caught up with her shortly after, mostly because she had no idea of where to go but also because she outright refused to leave the relative safety of the Ranger without me. Truth be told, I was a little nervous too; the thought of proving myself to several species, most of which I’d never even met, was daunting to say the least. As we made our way out of the Ranger and into the station, I saw many familiar faces, namely Klingons, Andorians, and even some Romulans but then we passed a group of…gryphons. I did a double-take; I mean, it’s a big galaxy but still. Nothing quite like seeing a beloved mythical beast in the flesh and blood, amiright? Trixie, on the other hand, didn’t seem quite as enthralled.

“Will you stop staring?” she hissed, some of her bravado having returned. “You look like a tourist.”

“Yeah okay, I’m the tourist,” I replied, rolling my eyes. “I’m kinda surprised that Luna…”

Princess Luna! Show some respect!”

“Okay, okay! Anyway, I’m kinda surprised that Princess Luna wasn’t there to greet us. Meh, maybe I’m asking the impossible. She’s probably super busy, what with trying to stage a revolt and all.”

“You said we were going to help her.” I looked at her concerned expression with a raised eyebrow.

“How did you know?”

“Well, what else would we be doing here?”

“That’s true. So…are you…okay with that?” I asked. She looked at me suspiciously.

“Okay about what?”

“Okay with helping. I mean…we’re going up against ponies. Your kind. Doesn’t that…bother you?”

“What do you think?” she spat rather suddenly. In hindsight, I probably should’ve expected it. “Oh wait, Trixie was just supposed to sit back and watch like she always does, wasn’t she?” she demanded, attracting the attention of several others. “Am I supposed to just sit and watch you kill my own kind?” she screamed as I opened my mouth to interject. Her fur was standing on end as she stared at me, angrily, desperately, waiting for an answer that I simply did not have. “If we’re supposed to be a team…like you keep saying…then…why would you choose to hurt others like…like me?” she sobbed, wiping a tear from her eye. Her question stung bitterly as I tried to formulate a response, which eluded me once again. I was dumbstruck. I didn’t know what to do or what to say.

“I’m sorry,” I whispered, kneeling down to wrap my arms around her. She pushed them away and looked at the floor, tears dripping down to the cold metal.

“I knew it,” she muttered. “You’re all the same.” And then she was gone, running as fast as she could to some undisclosed location. I stood up and with a deep breath, headed for the conference room.

Even as I sat with the other members of the Princess’ entourage, my mind spun. I could not get over how quickly Trixie had flipped. I mean, I knew why she did but still…she must’ve felt really overwhelmed. I was at a crossroads; the last thing I wanted to do was hurt anybody but at the same time, Luna was adamant that our assistance was absolutely necessary. She wouldn’t tell me why but all I know was that she was rather insistent that Trixie accompany us when the time for our little chat arrived. Given what had just transpired, that didn’t seem like a very likely scenario. I could only hope that by the end of the meeting, Trixie didn’t feel like strangling me with my own entrails.

An impossible dream, I know, but it was all I had.

***

Trixie sniffed and fought to hold back tears as she huddled up in her hiding place. Every fiber of her being hated her for it but the only place she could think of that would offer her any semblance of privacy was her living quarters aboard that accursed, weak-sauce tin can that Cole doted upon like a spoiled child. Was she being a hypocrite by hating everything it represented only to return their in an emotional rage?

Certainly not. More like…ironic. Yeah that’s the word. It was Trixie’s reason and by Tartarus, she was sticking with it. His reasons didn’t matter, not after he’d basically pledged to harm her fellow ponies for a cause he knew next to nothing about.

Even as she lamented her sorry state of affairs, one inescapable fact still haunted her. The Princess had asked for their help. Not just the human’s but hers as well. Surely the Princess knew what was best and wouldn’t allow a single pony to get hurt, right? There was simply no alternative. Trixie flat-out refused to believe that the monarch of the moon could be anything less than benevolent.

Of course, history showed the naiveté of such sentiments.

Trixie shook her head and curled up even tighter. It was cold aboard the Ranger, even colder with the absence of…she shook her head again. No matter what, she wasn’t going to devote a millisecond of thought to that selfish, lying, incompetent…

“Trixie? You in there?” The showmare froze deer-eyed as a gentle voice met her, accompanied by a soft knock. Stupid, she thought, refusing to answer. The door’s locked; where else would I be? “Look, I know how you feel right now but…”

“No you don’t!” Trixie shouted. “You have no idea of how Trixie feels! You’ve never lost everything you worked so hard for! You don’t know what it’s like to miss your home every day! You don’t know what it’s like to be alone!” At that, she broke down completely, sobbing and howling into the sheets. All the while, there was silence, save for her sorrowful ministrations. Lots of time to let it out.

“My parents were on Romulus when the star exploded.” The blue mare paused and perked one ear towards the door, surprised by the sudden revelation.

“Y…y…you mean…when it…”

“Yes. They were part of a Federation diplomatic corps trying to negotiate with the Romulan Senate to ease tensions between them and Earth.” Although doing his best to stay calm, it was abundantly clear to the showmare that I was fighting back tears of my own.

“So…that’s why you didn’t want to go to…to…”

“Yes. There are…too many memories and I’m just not ready to deal with them.” I explained, my voice significantly heavier than before.

There was a hiss as the door opened, revealing a considerably calmer blue pony. It was as if sharing such personal history put us on even footing. For the first time, we could appreciate each other on a personal level, a phenomenon that while new to the showmare, was not unwelcome. She looked up at me with a sympathetic expression and slowly placed a front hoof over my shoulder as I knelt down before her. I returned the hug, squeezing her tightly as if we’d just overcome a seemingly insurmountable obstacle together. For all intents and purposes, I firmly believe that we did.

“I’m sorry I didn’t talk to you before I told the Princess that we’d help,” I whispered. “I just…wanna do something, y’know?”

“I know,” Trixie replied softly. “I suppose…Trixie is sorry as well.” I couldn’t help but smile at her attempt to save face. I slowly pulled away and placed my hands on her shoulders with a smile.

“Wanna go see the Princess? I’m sure we’ll be able to work something out. Believe me, I don’t wanna hurt anypony either but I still want to do something. Anyway, let’s just go see her and we’ll see what happens. Okay?” Trixie nodded and with that, we headed out, both feeling as if a heavy burden had just been lifted.

***

“Come in,” the moon princess called over the door’s COM. “Ah, I thought I might see you two tonight,” Luna exclaimed with a smile as we entered the princess’ quarters. I was pleasantly surprised to see that although they were spacious, her quarters were also Spartan and modest. All that power and yet, she preferred simplicity. It was a trait I’d come to respect about her.

“What makes you say that?” I asked.

“Just a feeling,” she replied nonchalantly. “Don’t take it the wrong way, Mr. Stevens, I was hoping for the opportunity to speak with you both. You seemed rather…distant during the meeting today.”

“I apologize for that, ma’am. Let’s just say that this is all a little overwhelming for both of us. We needed some time to sort things out.”

“I understand,” Luna assured me. “Hello, little one,” she added, peeking at the shy blue mare behind me. “I have to say that I’m rather relieved to meet a member of my race that hasn’t fallen prey to that…that…sister of mine…” A light went off in my head and judging Trixie’s reaction, the same occurred in her head as well. Of course that was the case. This was a mirror universe, after all.

That didn’t change the fact that it was still really, really weird. From what Trixie had told me, it seemed impossible for Celestia to be anything other than an omnipotent mother hen.

“Say something,” I whispered, stepping out of Trixie’s way, forcing her to look directly at the Princess of the Night.

“I…I’m…glad to see you, too…Princess.” Trixie stammered, still quite overwhelmed.

“Please, do not worry so much,” Luna said with a warm smile. “You are safe here.” I wanted to point out that I had said the same thing hours ago but then my more intelligent side kicked in and reminded me that I wasn’t a demigod who could control the cosmos just by thinking about it.

So I kept my mouth shut and simply watched.

“I know that you’re wondering why I have requested your presence,” Luna continued. “As you probably know by now, two of the Alpha Quadrant’s major powers are at war with one another, the Terran Empire and the Solar Imperium…our, er, my home. We were once a peaceful race, free from the ravages of war and disaster. We used magic to better ourselves and advance, and so we did…for a time.” At that, her horn began to glow and the sparse room was replaced by an incredible scene, much like a holodeck, only this time, everything felt incredibly real. We watched in amazement as Luna’s magic took us on an aerial tour of her home, soaring over the great capital of Canterlot and then dipping down to overlook the valley, then the forest, and then the great apple orchards, then finally circling around a small, familiar town with a large tree at its center.

“Eventually, our subjects grew restless and sought to answer the age-old question of what was out there, just beyond the reach of the mightiest airships. They grew fascinated with the sky, especially the night, and wished more than anything that they could get closer.” The scene changed to show a research laboratory filled with ponies in lab coats with one in particular standing beside a large object half the size of the room, covered by a white cloth. The others gasped and stomped their hooves as the lavender unicorn whipped the sheet off, revealing a large machine glowing with a purple light. “At long last, they had finally done it. They had achieved the means to explore and reach what was once thought to be unreachable. It was a momentous achievement. Sadly, my sister did not see it the same way.” We watched as the scene changed yet again and we found ourselves in the middle of what looked like a throne room in the dead of night.

“You see, the Sun Princess, Celestia, had grown jealous of her subject’s fascination with the night and tried to stop any progress she could. I simply could not allow such dedication and effort to go to waste but she would not hear it. I tried to reason with her but it was too late. The jealousy and frustration had corrupted her and transformed her into a power-starved shadow of her former self. Radiant, yes, but still a shadow.”

“The Solar Empress?” I asked. Luna nodded sadly.

“Yes. It wasn’t long after before the Terrans came. They detected a surge of energy and immediately sent a battle fleet to investigate and if possible, retrieve the source of the surge. They arrived in the middle of our battle and saw it as their chance to take our peaceful world from us.” The scene changed again, this time to one of violence and mayhem. Ponies ran screaming as Terran fighters and starships bombarded the planet with torpedoes and razed the towns and landscape with phaser beams. “My sister and I, embittered as we were, temporarily stopped our feud and concentrated on fending off the attack. Even then, I watched in horror as my once-gentle sister mercilessly annihilated our foes, gleefully ignoring any attempts to surrender. It was only after I intervened did she finally stop and allow the few survivors left to escape with their lives. Unfortunately, the Terran attack had left me weak and Celestia soon gained the upper hand, forcefully imprisoning me on the moon.” I involuntarily shivered as the scene of battle shifted to the moon, cold and lifelessness.

“I watched helplessly as Celestia rebuilt our great world into something foul and violent, twisting and perverting it until the last shred of Equestria was gone, replaced by the iron-fisted Solar Imperium. From there, they constructed machines of war and destruction, determined to avenge their losses and strike fear into the heart of the Terrans. And strike fear they did, retaliating with all their might until both sides began to consume each other in the broils of all-out conflict. There was nothing I could do but watch, Celestia’s new dark magic preventing me from escaping my banishment on my own terms.” Luna took a deep breath as the scene changed once more, showing a familiar green bird-like ship approaching the moon.

“One day, after Celestia committed nearly all of her forces to the frontlines, a lone Klingon Bird-of-Prey snuck into our system on a mission of espionage. Not knowing what else to do, I contacted their captain telepathically and asked him to take me away from the horror I was forced to witness day after day. He agreed but only if I would provide him with tactical and strategic information. Reluctantly, I agreed to his terms and he took me from my prison in hopes that I could supply him with a way to stave off or conquer the encroaching Terrans. While our ‘relationship’ was rocky at first, we were united by the fact that both sides needed to be stopped before one side gained the upper hand and enslaved the galaxy. We searched for others, others who believed in a free and peaceful galaxy for all and although we found many, the forces of both the Terrans and the Imperium were too great and we could not best them. Then when all hope seemed lost, a Gryphon patrol stumbled upon an out-of-the-way planet referred to as ‘Iconia’ by nearby systems. On the planet, they found a strange item, an ancient amulet containing incredible magical power, power comparable even to that of myself and my sister. As it depicted an Alicorn, we named it the ‘Alicorn Amulet’. We soon realized that if we could harness its power, we could turn the tide and end the conflict once and for all. However, it only reacted in the presence of a pony and although I tried to tame it, it rejected me and I could not control it. We needed another, a unicorn, one with enough magical potential to harness it.” Luna looked up at Trixie and I. “That’s why you’re here. I’m sorry but as soon as I saw your ship, I saw an opportunity to end the war. I apologize for my deception but I assure you that it was necessary.”

There was a pause as we attempted to absorb and comprehend what we’d just been told.

“Is that…is that why you…wanted me?” Trixie asked quietly. Luna nodded.

“Yes, little one. You’re the only one who can wield this power. You’re the only one who can save us.” For a moment, I almost expected Trixie to look smug or proud of the fact that she’d just been handed the chance of a lifetime, a chance at fame and fortune. I was sadly mistaken, however, as she turned and without a word, galloped out of the room.

Author's Note:

Yes, yes, I see the walls of text and crazy amounts of plot and character development! Don't worry, we'll be back to the action very soon. This ain't no Deep Space 9.