• Published 18th Jul 2013
  • 877 Views, 10 Comments

On Alicorns - Nra Vadumee



A text on the history of the mysterious and near-extinct race of demidivine immortal alicorns. And what stories lie in the shadow of the past... beneath the murky depths of history, some legends just want to be forgotten... while others should be...

  • ...
2
 10
 877

The First Great Peace

Dragon and Dawnvir approached the Border between Light and Dark, where the pained and wounded Pentimus stood staring at them. Lumos continued beating away at the inner lining of Dragon’s impermeable gullet, to no avail. The Battle had left Dragon lined with scarring, and Dawnvir’s slender form was marred with wounds that may or may not heal over. Pentimus, however, had suffered the brunt of the damage. While not disfigured or deformed, he was scarred heavily from the heat and force of the Dragonsfire inflicted on him. His entire body was covered in burns, and he likely would never re-assume the powerful dark figure he commanded before.

He stood eyeing them with agony and pain and exhaustion, and his stare spoke of no more than “no more”. While Dragon desired to destroy Pentimus to complete their goal in this entire ordeal, he knew it would not be wise to test the Alicorn of Darkness, even with such injuries, especially while he still stood in the Dark. While Lumos’ powers were negated in the eternal darkness of his gut, Pentimus would not have the same weakness. No, attempting to devour Pentimus as well would promise his destruction more than anything else.

It seems we have underestimated you, Dragons.

The same could be said on our part, Alicorn.

Is that so? Then you will not continue this assault?

No, we will not. So long as you agree to the same.

Why would I even try? You stand in the Light, and I know when I am bested. But I would not be worried about me, Dragon.

Oh?

No, I would be concerned about my brothers and sisters. No doubt they will wonder where Lumos has gone, and once they discover that she now resides in your gullet, well… no doubt they will sooner open your gut than your mouth.

Are you suggesting that I release her?

Release her? No, no, no, I suggest ransoming her.

Ransoming? What could buy her freedom?

Were I you, I would buy peace and power. Have the rest of the Alicorns recognize you and your female as sovereign powers. Entities in and of yourselves. You have earned my respect enough for me to name you more than simple creations, but you will have to convince my siblings of the same.

Dragon glanced over at Dawnvir, who mirrored his considerate visage. While the initial purpose of their assault was to destroy the most powerful of the alicorns, it was apparent that such an endeavor was beyond them. Still, they had made a great victory, imprisoning Lumos and breaking Pentimus. If they could purchase peace, they would also buy freedom and power. And that would be victory enough.

For now.

Very well, Darkstallion. Summon your siblings. We will negotiate here, on the Border.

As you request, Dragon.

With that, the Lord of Darkness called out to his brothers and sisters, all across the world, calling them together. They all responded, each and every one, curious to see what could have the Darkstallion calling them together. As they came, however, Pentimus shrouded himself in darkness, hiding the deep burns the battle had left him with, not yet ready to reveal his injuries. As each arrived, they all shared quizzical glances at the two Dragons which were also present. Academis and Professios, especially, were confused and upset. Academis made a particular point about it.

Pentimus, Darkstallion, why does our most errant creation stand among us? Do you mean to bring insult to me and my mate, Professios? Or perhaps you have gathered us to announce that it has, once more, changed its allegiance?

Dragon lurched forward to strike at the impertinent alicorn it once called ‘maker’, but Pentimus raised a pained hoof to signal him that this was not the time.

All will be made clear shortly, brother. In fact, here comes the last of our number, Thermos.

Last? But I do not see Lumos among us…

As I said, Academis, all we be made clear shortly.

Thermos, Lord of Heat, touched down his radiant form before the Border, resplendent in form and physique. He was dark brown in coat, with a yellow mane that glowed dully. He glanced about, searching for his beloved, and found her missing. He approached the Border to confront the Darkstallion about her.

Filthy brother, where is my beloved? Where is Lumos?

Always a pleasure to see you, as well, Thermos. As I have explained to our brother, Academis, all will be explained. Though I am not the one to do the explaining.

At this, the alicorns glanced about at each other confusedly. Iras was the one who spoke the common question.

Then, who is?

At this, Pentimus nodded to Dragon, who took that as his signal to stand up, lifting his great scarred form up to full erect sitting posture, calling the attention of the alicorns to him.

I am.

Amor responded first

Is that so, creation? Do tell us, what is on your mind, hm?

I wish to negotiate peace between Dragonskind and the alicorns.

Iras was next to speak.

Peace? PEACE?? WHAT MAKES YOU BELIEVE THAT THERE SHALL BE PEACE???

Iras, my love, be silent. Dragon, there is no peace that needs to be brokered between our races; you are a servant of Infernis, albeit an errant one.

But that is false, Lovebringer.

This statement brought a wave of shock and confusion to the immortal faces. Infernis demanded answers.

What do you mean by that, creation?

I mean that neither I nor my love, Dawnvir, serve any of you. We are free and sovereign, and we are greater than mere creations of rock or water. The war between our races has already begun over this, and I seek to end it.

Thermos spoke up now.

You say a war has already begun raging, but I have seen no battles.

At this point, Pentimus spoke up as well.

That is because you did not participate in the deciding skirmish here at the Border.

And you did, brother?

Yes. I did.


At this point, Pentimus stepped forth into the Light, revealing his burnt and scarred flesh for all to see. The shockwave of surprise, fear, confusion, and shock was all but palpable.


These scars were inflicted upon me by the great Dragon in this battle which raged on only so shortly ago. But I am not the only casualty; Lumos the Lightbringer, too, was a part of this battle.


At the mention of his beloved’s name, Thermos became restless.


And?? Where is the Lightbringer now?

In my gullet.

The response on the Heat Lord’s face was… comical.

Your gullet? My beloved Lightbringer is imprisoned inside of your gullet?

Yes, Thermos. And I am willing to release her peacefully, but that is my offering for this peace agreement. In exchange, the alicorns must swear not to strike at Dragonskind, and to recognize Dragonskind as equals. Swear these things, and Lumos will be freed, and our races may live in peace.

And why should we not destroy you now and rip Lumos free from your accursed entrails?

It was Dawnvir’s turn to speak.

We have defeated Lumos and Pentimus both. If you doubt us still, you doubt your own chance to survive.

The Darkstallion rose his voice, as well.

Fight against the Dragons, and you fight against me. Weakened though I am, I still wield more power than any of the rest of you.

Umbris backed her beloved Pentimus up with her own declaration

I stand with my beloved. The Mare of Shadows does not back away from the Darkstallion when he is in need of her.

Amor spoke as well.

My love Iras and I are in favor of peace with the Dragons.

Iras prepared to protest, but Amor’s sweet love washed over his rage, silencing him before he even began to speak. Aeros spoke as well.

I have no quarrel with these Dragons. They are free to traverse my domain at their leisure.

I stand with my love, Aeros. The earth and the caverns beneath it are open to the Dragons.

Infernis, Aquos, Academis, Professios, and Thermos were the only alicorns yet to declare their stance. Aquos declared herself.

The only crimes held against me by these Dragons are the crimes of treachery committed against my love Infernis. And even then, I cannot help but sympathize with their plight for freedom. I shall wage no war against them.

Infernis, however, would not relinquish his property so easily.

I gave them their cherished fire, they swore fealty to me in turn! It is injustice for them to declare themselves free of that oath!

Academis and Professios, however, had other ideas.

As the creator of this beast, they both belong to me!

Yes, my love Academis and I have the strongest claim to them!

With strife sowed between those who still opposed Dragon’s terms, it became clear that if war were to be waged, Dragon’s faction would win with ease, especially with the balance so tipped in his favor with Lumos locked away in his interior. With a heavy sigh of exasperation, Thermos spoke up.

I will not fight you, Dragons. There is no hope for my victory if I try, with so many of my siblings declared in your favor. If Infernis, Academis, or Professios makes any attempt on you, they will face the retribution of their siblings. As for Lumos… I will do my best to guard you from her wrath, as will my siblings, but be warned, Dragon: You have made of her an eternal enemy. Of that, I can make every guarantee.



May our races live in harmony and prosperity in this new age.

And as the alicorns offered response, he and Dawnvir took them graciously, and looked out across the Light. For indeed, the bronze pony, observing these events from far, far in the future, could see that a new age was dawning. An age of legends.

An age of change.


Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment